/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: >>[Deleted]

If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: inb4_triggered_freetards.jpg (1600x900, 143K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/martin-ueding/thinkpad-scripts
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-3540M-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3320M/m921vsm402
sites.google.com/site/twisteroidambassador/thinkpads/mtm-lookup-table
youtube.com/watch?v=WpDtOVcM8cM&t=3s
ebay.de/itm/12-1-HV121WX4-120-X200-X200i-AFFS-wide-viewing-angle-A-IPS-20pins-HM63-YD/182179978992?hash=item2a6ac5def0:g:CiYAAOSwZpRao1K1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for x61 a qt

What makes you say that?

Hi Jow Forums my battery didn't get delivered on time. Australia Post sucks ass

Attached: IMG_0030.jpg (2728x2728, 1.6M)

>Australia
I hope you get bitten by a snake you putrid fucking cunt.

x201 >>> x61

WHERE THE FUCK IS IT I'M GOING TO NEED IT BEFORE THE END OF SUMMER!

Attached: csm_7nw_Thinkpad_P52_Hero_Birdseye_B_C_Cover_copy_ac534dc0f4.png (1481x1200, 808K)

I owned a T420 a long time ago (my father did actually but he sold it a while back).
I'm looking for a cheap laptop that I'll be using mostly for programming or for media, docking it from time to time.
I did find two offers for T420 and T430 but really can't decide which one should I take.

T420: Intel i5-2520M 2,5 GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, screen is 14" TFT HD matte display 1600x900
T430: Intel Core i5 3320M 2,6 GHz, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, screen is 14 "HD + 1600x900 but not sure which one

The price difference is ~30 USD.
Which one should I go with? Further upgrading won't be much of a problem, such as removing the DVD drive and putting another SSD in or upgrading the RAM.
So far I think T430 is the model I'll go for, but is the price difference okay considering it has 8GB RAM and I'm unsure about the processors, the benchmark comparison shows T420 has a better one.

T430

T420's got the better keyboard, and DDR3 RAM doesn't cost much if you really want more.

The T430 has USB3 and a better cooler, as pluses, though many think the keyboard of that particular generation was crap and it's a bit trickier to use third party batteries and WiFi cards.

For upgrading later on or with the offer?
T430 is ~300 USD and T420 is ~240 USD. Shipping prices changed after I refreshed the pages for some reason or I did a shit job at converting currencies.
Yep, USD went down by quite a lot since last time I was ordering something online.
So, it's ~60 USD difference actually.

Well then it's really up to whether you think that USB3 is worth $60.

hey lads I want to buy a new 9 cell battery and the only one I can find that ships to my country is by a company called "superb choice"
Do any of you guys have any experience with it? Should I buy one or just keep my 60% 6 cell?

Just use Ali you fucking nigger subhuman.

I have no problem with adding more RAM to it immediately if I go with that offer.

For both you and user I tagged up:
The OP said "Old keyboard swap on *30 series" so I guess I could just swap it? Both would come with a German keyboard so I guess I'll be ordering an English one as soon as I buy it.

I guess you have a fair point there, also I think you can upgrade T430 to be better than T420 because T420 is pretty much capped at what I said. I could maybe add the i7 of some older series to it and put 8 GB of RAM and it'd be it.
So far I think T430 is winning.

but what about the overall performance between Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge?
afaik, there's a substantial difference between them.

I can, but the shipping price is higher, and the chink batteries sold there are probably worst quality. And don't go around speaking like you're white, goblino de la oscuridad.

Should any t420 be able to accommodate two 2TB hard drives and an SSD for the OS? Is there any brand to go for or avoid for optical drive caddies?

Ali is shit if you don't live in the US or main parts of Europe.

>bezels

Attached: Wheeze.jpg (377x264, 22K)

> So far I think T430 is winning.
Ah, yeah, I'd pick a *30 over a *20 any day. Just assumed that if the $60 mattered much you wouldn't want to potentially spend even more in a beefier processor since you said the other one came with a faster one. In any case has a point, especially in the integrated graphics side of things. Do mind that you can install a 3rd gen CPU on the T420 if you coreboot though.

I would to know the temperatures of other people that has a t470p with a i5 7440HQ, under heavy load and idle

Attached: 2913129310.png (885x1080, 472K)

The $60 I'm mentioning isn't much but that'd be either a dock for T420 or the RAM upgrade.
I really didn't get to experience any of the said hardware and I'm probably going to put in another ~$200 in each of them really soon (dock + some minor upgrade like wireless card or heatsink if necessary or a different keyboard).
Really don't want to spend too much on a laptop I wouldn't use too much, but I'll see after I get it. Maybe I'll just throw more money on parts like a SATA bay or even one of those better screens.

I have an x230 with Japanese keyboard. Is this easily replaceable with US/standard keyboard layout?

>Do mind that you can install a 3rd gen CPU on the T420 if you coreboot though
I'd wager that installing a 20 series keyboard in a 30 series machine is both easier and cheaper.

$200 for an x230? 4g ram 320 hdd

I'm having an issue with my x220t
When I out the screen in portrait my touches and the pen input doesn't correctly align with the screen, like the input is still stuck in landscape or something.
Happens on gnome, KDE and cinnamon.
Distro is Debian testing

Attached: IMG_20180531_211643.jpg (2592x1944, 1.18M)

Yes.

Well in both cases you need to flash the BIOS and on price, a QM processor costs about $45 for the low end 45W ones that actually only really heat up barely more than the 35W ones whilst performing better. Not sure of the cost of an original, mint keyboard though.

Oh and I did calibrate it in portrait mode a bunch of times, didn't help sadly

>unstable distro

You NEED thinkpad-scripts. It will automate the calibration.

I don't need it. I don't need it.

Attached: panasonic_sv7_2.jpg (682x545, 76K)

Was thinking the same thing about getting an x60..
I don't know what that is or does sorry, can you elaborate?

Attached: IMG_20180531_211611.jpg (2592x1944, 937K)

github.com/martin-ueding/thinkpad-scripts

I own a x220t that i got on accident because I thought I got an x220 and never use the touchscreen capability, however I constantly pivot the screen

>ipod in the thinkpad thread

kek

Where's the trap?

Attached: FaceApp_1528339143524.jpg (1280x1280, 680K)

Fuck off he's mine

The IPS screen makes it more than worth it, also they're great for reading shit in portrait.

Also, am I correct in assuming that I can use the X230t heatsink in the X220t? (since it has marginally better cooling)

Attached: thinkpad-x41.jpg (1200x795, 77K)

Check if using ips or tn screen.

I'am happy with my tablet ;)

Attached: IMAG0036.jpg (1840x3264, 908K)

x61s for 50€ and 6months warranty is a decent deal or not? ill have to upgrade the ram and ut an ssd in it at least...

Which wifi card am I supposed to buy for libreboot? I know there are certain chipsets that work with libre drivers, but I want to be spoonfed a direct ebay or aliexpress link.

>Buy a "for parts" elitebook 1020 g1 for 70€
>Buy charger,ssd. It werks good as new
>laptop shits itself
>2 months of on-site warranty left
>Get a new screen and battery for free
>??

Which thinkpad is the best in, battery life, screen quality/resolution and not overheating like a mofo.

have fun doing nothing with that os

My w520 finally arrived, but the delivery guy ran over my neighbor's pupper that got lost in front of my gate on his way out

Attached: Untitled.png (624x410, 26K)

that's actualy realy sad

I'm considering to upgrade the CPU of my X230 by replacing the motherboard.
Currently it has an i5-3320m, but I found a deal on a board with an i7-3540m. Since I don't intend to ever buy a new laptop I don't care about the cost too much.
My question here: Is the performance improvement noticeable when doing normal stuff in Windows?

Attached: 1528460719041.png (640x640, 663K)

I'm about to but a T420 i5, 8gb ram, 160ssd + 500 hdd with the FRU 45N2211 keyboard for 200 australians. What do you guys reckon?

There should be some difference
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-3540M-vs-Intel-Core-i5-3320M/m921vsm402
However I was recently switching from X230 i5-3210M to i7-3520M (which should be even bigger difference) and you basically won't notice while doing light work. Only while doing something CPU intensive like compiling you see the performance boost.

Where do people find thinkpads for dirt cheap other than ebay and local craiglist-type websites?

Here in melbourne the absolute cheapest I could find was a low-spec t520 for 165 aud and a bottom-spec t400 for 90 both from electronics recyclers

Where do people find 30 dollar x301s?

What kind of performance benefit would I see upgrading to 16gb of ram for tasks like simple editing in Lightroom? Will it expedite the importing and smart preview process?

Ebay auctions when everyone else is either at work or asleep.

Just woke up desu, am about to go to linux fest texas. If my friends awake :D
:c
Check the screen resolution. By looking up the model type.
sites.google.com/site/twisteroidambassador/thinkpads/mtm-lookup-table

I don't know Australian pricing, but 1600x900 is alot better then 1366x768
youtube.com/watch?v=WpDtOVcM8cM&t=3s

Sorry desu for the shilling, but I made a exact video about this. You gotta check salvage yard places or places that sell scrap computers.
You probably won't see a major difference, but your browser will end up eating the ram eventually.:c I have never used lightworks though

Attached: d3207940-83ca-4065-a295-b0218b719400.jpg (600x800, 69K)

Morning qt
Maybe you can help me, do you gave any idea where to get cheap **00 era keyboards?
I don't have any Goodwills or whatever near me and the prices on ebay are like 25 bucks a pop

any good uses for express card port on x230? not interested in external gpu

Tossing up between X270 and X1C6. Really like the Carbon’s HDR screen and Thunderbolt, but X270 has the insane battery life with the extended battery. Thoughts?

Theres a bluetooth mouse that gets stored in the slot. Mine's kinda shite though dunno if they're all like that. It's called a MoGo or somesuch

Are there any reviews? Japanese-English google translate is awful, and even the Jap reviews don’t mention if the display is any good

If you can't find a place locally, I'd just buy a parts thinkpad off ebay. You could get a beat up t60 or another parts system and rob the keyboard, and have spare parts for the future :D

Or look for a recycling center that does electronics, you might end up with some free parts or systems.

Attached: everyoneelsewalkedout.jpg (1600x1200, 398K)

eBay is expensive, but eBay parts are more expensive.

>Previous thread: >>[Deleted]
WOW, good job, my man. Perfectly communicating what the last thread was as is standard.

I literally just opened this thread to ask if the last thread pic was ever sourced, so it's really convenient you just didn't even communicate what the last thread was, even after using a template as if you would. The image was deleted on its own anyway, so I doubt the thread was later purged in its entirety.

>The image was deleted on its own anyway, so I doubt the thread was later purged in its entirety.
Oh. it was. Are mods just retarded? Who preserves a thread by only deleting its pic, only to later say "nah nevermind, forgot to take the thread as collateral damage"?
It was still false to insert text in place of the thread number.

X220 or X230?
My current laptop is about to die and I am thinking about purchasing a thinkpad.
I only need something that I can type with and watch movies.

i have a x220t having previously owned a x220 for a few minutes before having to return it

x220t is pretty good if you're an artist hobbyist and the screen rotation is useful at times but overall I'm starting to regret not going with x220.
I literally haven't drawn on x220t ever since I got it and x220t feels heavier.

Not bad though, I'm still religiously using it, just feels like a waste not using its full features especially with the cons (again emphasis on weight)

the eBay fees of selling it would probably heavily outweigh the value though and I still need a laptop day to day and shipping (selling this and buying new one) would take forever so idk what to do

Attached: IMG_20180403_115656.jpg (2048x1536, 693K)

How long does it take for IBM Thinkpad batteries to die ?

Any difference when operating a web browser or when starting the device?

thinking of getting a x230 for 180aud, 4g ram but i got a spare 8g ram stick.
should i get 128g msata sdd or 256 sdd as an extra drive if i wanna put windows and linux on that drive?
i looked up the panel as well, wtf is hd a? part number is 04W3920

This is pretty cool. Too bad it doesn't seem to have a wheel or some alternative.

Except for the mentioned mouse you can use it for port expansion, if you are desperate enough.

No noticeable difference whatsoever.

I have an x230t and I'm in a similar boat. I used it for annotating PDFs by hand for class, but I ended up finding that the increase in weight and decrease in battery life weren't worth the tradeoff.

Selling is a lot of work, but I want to either remain small and portable with an x230 or just go all out for a w530 or w520.

i’m planning on getting a x220t for art, i know a lot of people say you have to trade good battery life for the tablet version - on average how long does your battery last?

X230 or bust

Fav thinkpad, comes with libreboot preinstaled :^)

Attached: 1462065696758.jpg (3264x2448, 1.29M)

>X1Yoga
>RHEL 7.4 -> 7.5
Yet again they managed to break more shit with the update than it fixed. Enterprise OS for enterprise hardware my ass.

uh, im not sure honestly. I'd say 3-4 hours? I don't use battery very much, leave tp on charging and remove battery when I'm not too.

There's a reason why IBM has switched to using Retina Macbooks.

What is the purpose of the foil on the back of the x230 (and x220?) palmrest?
Some replacement parts don't seem to have it, does it make any difference?

pic related

Attached: IMG_20180609_170930.jpg (2592x1944, 548K)

ebay.de/itm/12-1-HV121WX4-120-X200-X200i-AFFS-wide-viewing-angle-A-IPS-20pins-HM63-YD/182179978992?hash=item2a6ac5def0:g:CiYAAOSwZpRao1K1

Is this legit?

It's to comply with FCC emission standards.
Can be safely ignored or removed.

So I might be able to get my hands on an old inspiron 8200. Anyone have any experience with maintaining these and running linux in 2018?

Attached: 12964-dell-inspiron-8200.jpg (303x400, 25K)

I actually just relieved my X61t of windows the other day. It feels weird not having enough time to take my hands off the keyboard inbetween commands anymore. I also miss the coffee breaks while waiting for emacs to start.

they're usually beat up to hell (loose hinges etc) and not really worth restoring since parts are not that common.

The one I'm looking to cop is in decent condition, and I'm really only looking to use it for trying out minimal ditros and ricing so that don't have to fuck up my x220. I just don't see a lot of info on using these with linux

Protip to all newbies: the X200 IPS mod is not worth the backlight bleed

are there any consider to the 220/230 1080p mod?

Old tablet thinkpads are so comfy but I'm skeptical about using extremely old CPUs in a modern setting, and more importantly about touchscreen support on Linux. What do

Touchscreen support on linux is great. Older thinkpads perform great with linux.

there's really no modern up-to-date distro left that still supports 32-bit. wouldn't recommend.

My T410 gets overheated and shuts off.

How can I prevent it from shutting off? Also, it gets laggy as fuck right before it shuts off.

>CPU repaste
I honestly don't feel like fucking doing this. Can I not write a program which prevents the machine from shutting down? Is there already one?

What will happen if I do prevent it from shutting down? Fire?

Also, I love the thinkpad, but fuck this, bros. I want something that fucking works, not something that's going to need to be fixed all the time.

I have a fucking HP notebook that I bought in 2012. It still runs like a fucking charm. It's been through some shit, too. I travelled across the US with it multiple times, dropped multiple times, etc. It heats the fuck up sometimes, but it never shuts down.

your computer shuts down because it's not designed to operate under those temperatures. so, yes, there's a risk of a hardware failure.

just repaste, it's not that hard. there's load of guides on the internet.

>Won a T400 for $45 USD with a hard drive and RAM.

Is there any glaring problems with this model? Can it still do basic web browsing or do I have to go Stallman and only use Emacs?

Attached: 1491663887263s.jpg (225x225, 5K)

Had you bought an Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display, a single trip to the Genius Bar would've solved this problem.

Bought a ThinkPad 25 that I’m just waiting to arrive in the mail. Did I goof or not Jow Forums?

With that amount of money you could've just bought an Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display instead.