The fallacy of perfection

The fallacy of perfection.
Anyone else miss the character VHS movies had?

Attached: 1200px-VHS-Video-Tape-Top-Flat.jpg (1199x736, 203K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fT4lDU-QLUY
youtube.com/watch?v=GspYufJVq08
youtube.com/watch?v=jiu0LPeLQPE
youtu.be/Hisyfkxxu_8?t=49
youtu.be/_oJs8-I9WtA?t=3m32s
youtu.be/1g46MyWCLmg
youtube.com/watch?v=mES3CHEnVyI
instructables.com/id/Storing-files-on-an-audio-cassette/
youtu.be/Hisyfkxxu_8?t=50
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No because I was not born in 1998 and I actually used the devils. Never again. Also it's painfully obvious that you wouldn't have posted this thread were it not for this one.

No
while you could argue that audio cassettes had their charm and could sound almost as good as a CD, VHS was just terrible compared to everything else out there

Do I miss dial up Internet? The answer is no.

VHS sucked ass and you're a faggot.

>No because I was not born in 1998
neither was I, 1989, in case you cared.
And that other thread, I have no idea what's going on in there, worshiping false gods?

and yes i'm aware that they were HD video cassettes later on but at that times there already were DVDs and Laserdiscs which were both better than the grainy distorted VHS that gets worn out after a couple plays

>which were both better than the grainy distorted VHS that gets worn out after a couple plays

The heads wear out pretty fast too; couple years at most out of them.

>Anyone else miss the character VHS movies had?
Video quality fucking sucks ass and you need to rewind that shit everytime it ends. Thank god compact discs replaced both laser disc and VHS.

No, it was low res shit.
>could sound almost as good as a CD
delet this.

>VHS was just terrible compared to everything else out there
It was all there was in the 80's, with Betamax pretty much the same quality.

Good luck trying to give a friend something you recorded on cable with your DVR.

Attached: 1527238683029.png (930x1020, 144K)

for anyone interested they were called D-VHS
youtube.com/watch?v=fT4lDU-QLUY

Everything seems charming and magical when you're 8 years old and stupid.

VHS sucked.

They were never good to begin with and look even worse on flat panel TVs.

>and you need to rewind that shit everytime it ends
but that's the best part, the pure anticipation and joy of getting to watch your favorite movie, in just another 2 minutes.

Yes, I miss the grainy flickering static plastered all over my image and the hassle of rewinding it every time. Retard.

I miss video stores just a little bit, but I don't miss vhs which was always disgusting and used tapes were worse quality than broadcast tv.

>VHS sucked.
So did your mom, prove me wrong.

Friends don't encourage friends to watch TV. It's for brainlets.

The first time I ever saw a DVD running was probably in 2000? It was absolutely mindbending how crystal-clear and sharp the picture looked against VHS fuzz.

with the right equipment a cassette can sound really good, here's a comparison
if this wouldn't be side by side I think the vast majority couldn't tell a difference, but keep in mind that you hear it through 128M4A on YouTube
youtube.com/watch?v=GspYufJVq08

The thing is, even CRTs have some technical advantages over flat panels (in particular motion quality). VHS has none over optical media at all.

VHS have a special place in my heart. When I grew up VHS was mostly all we had. We only had a very DVDs and never Blueray.

You could say I went from VHS straight to the internet for movies.

but of course the CD is still better with things like instant skipping and no need to rewind, just far more convenient
That's also why D-VHS failed despite being HD resolution in the fucking 90s

Attached: 1431852695106.jpg (500x375, 26K)

Kind of a shit argument considering you are in a VHS thread.

>. Also it's painfully obvious that you wouldn't have posted this thread were it not for this one.
>(Cross-thread)

I think you mean this one >

>yo bro got a tape of my 600lb life?

FUCK, this one

If your gonna be an annoying nigger with nothing to contribute to a thread don't bother posting.

Fuck you. If you want an echo chamber where you can bury posts you don't like with downvotes, you know where to go, dipshit.

I miss renting VHS flicks, watching the flick and then rewinding and stopping precisely at a spoiler moment before returning the movie. Sure as fuck can't do that with DVD, BD or streaming.

I mean just look at this I'm watching a full HD recording from 1993 on my 2016 768p display

Attached: chrome_2018-06-09_06-50-43.png (1366x768, 1.95M)

VHS is a format, not a genre.

I don't miss them. Not in the least.

Wow. Great post. Really added to the thread. I bet your post even bumped a FOSS thread off the board. Good thing you posted it. I am sure everyone will heed your advice you annoying ape.

What kind of shit video did you watch where shit VHS quality added character to the viewing experience instead of detracting.

Fucking hipsters

>That's also why D-VHS failed despite being HD resolution in the fucking 90s
D-VHS failed because normies could not wrap their heads around digital VHS being a good thing. All they could think was VHS=low quality analog, DVD/Optical=Future. But the normies forgot that D-VHS could work with standard VHS tapes or could hold 25GB on a tape (same as single layer BD-R). While also being much cheaper than BD-R. I honestly could care less about instant skipping, when a commercial tape would have builtin Index points to skip to. Recording your own content would also have Index points.

The DRM on D-VHS also made it a pain to record programs, as you could not duplicate D-VHS recordings if it was a copy-once recording. And it would follow the DRM signals transmitted by broadcasters.

nostalgia makes literally everything "unique" and "meaningful"
DVDs will rise again in the future too, like every format. Hell even old MP3 players are highly sought after on ebay

Its only redeeming quality is the ability to record stuff. Otherwise it sucked, but then again everything sucked back then.

>DVDs will rise again in the future too
they won't, they are too similar to blurays

>Its only redeeming quality is the ability to record stuff.
This is negated in the Internet age anyway when you can just pirate a show you missed.

every format will, you just have to wait long enough for the generation to become old and wanting to have some nostalgia.
and if it doesn't then it will end on some future TechMoan type show in 20 years which would still be quite funny

Um ok, I agree with that. But that's a straw man argument.

Knowingly clicking on a thread about VHS, and then saying people don't encourage friends to watch TV is dumb. Which was the whole point of VHS, to watch or record tv. It's like me going to a Watch Thread and telling someone time keeping is dumb.

Attached: iS2Og2Z.jpg (605x908, 136K)

>every format will, you just have to wait long enough for the generation to become old and wanting to have some nostalgia.
No, CRTs aren't coming back. Besides, the vinyl revival was driven by Millenials and not nostalgic baby boomers.

Probably, though it's a different story with music
Cassette sales rose by over 60% in 2016, another 35% in 2017.
Nowadays you see many artists no matter how big or small selling vinyls and cassettes, but not CDs.

Based on my experience, a lot of boomers are absolutely baffled why anyone would want vinyl records back.

DVDs are still very popular simply because of low cost, and everything can play them. Including Blu-rays. I think DVDs are still the most popular form of physical video media to watch at home. But over the past few years I've been seeing super cheap ($5) Blu-rays for sale of movies that are a few years old. So Blu-ray will eventually win out.

Agreed. The red ones were the best quality too.

Attached: 5b5485ed85aa49598c85e30cb98b4aba[1].jpg (1600x900, 199K)

We know and National Audio restarted cassette manufacturing which they hadn't done since 1983. They did cassette pressings for clients, but the only source for new ones was China and the quality sucked, so they decided to resume production.

They had to dust off their old as the hills cassette making machines and also needed some guy in his 60s to teach the young workers there how to use it.

I don't miss VHS but tape had its advantages, like FFWD through FBI WARNING while nowadays you can rarely skip it. Also a perfect format for kids: VHS are sturdy enough to withstand some abuse. Discs on the other hand... not so much.

>but not CDs.
Because CD's are digital.
You know what else is digital?
INTERNET DOWNLOADS!

> VHS are sturdy enough to withstand some abuse. Discs on the other hand... not so much.
Oh heeeeeelll no.
VHS could stand a little abuse sure, but some mangy kid poking and prodding is going to crease the tape or worse.
Then you've got a fucking tape jam.

Don't forget to clean the heads every few months, more if you're renting from the video shop.

No you dumb fuck. Just because VHS was the main format of distribution for Hollywood media doesn't mean that was the sole purpose. Do you know that video other than that can be recorded? Do you knew what an ArVid is? Do you know what Betamad is? No, you don't, because you're retarded.

I'll say this one more time so that your brainlet can understand: VHS is a format, not a genre.

You know, even as a kid I never managed to destroy a VHS tape from careless handling while I scratched up and ruined a lot of CDs.

My little sister ruined many.
Goddamn I'm still angry about my dangermouse tape.

this
unless you have really good quality tapes (in condition) and vhs machine it really wasnt worth it even at the time cd/dvd had them walked in mid 90s when the vhs was as good as it got then there was stuff like this which actually was good but never came to consumers in a big way youtube.com/watch?v=jiu0LPeLQPE

this
only fallacy is the one in your ass right now

lol @ the cassette in your picture. who the fuck still uses these?
also wtf is a VHS movie?

You kids sure you're old enough to post on this website?

>Beta was used at shit tier TV stations till the early 2000. Wtf are you talking about when you say similar quality

Here, have a sample of what you little shits lost out on.
youtu.be/Hisyfkxxu_8?t=49

a great thing in my opinion, we shouldn't lose the skill to make something

>little shits
bruh i'm an adult, i'm turning 19 in july

it is very similar
youtu.be/_oJs8-I9WtA?t=3m32s

not op but 27 year old boomer who used these well into the early 2000s because i was poor they where aweful and op is a retard

A lot of the "art" of making vinyl records had to be relearned from scratch, although some guys from Canada developed a modernized press that's far better and more efficient than the old hydraulic ones.

youngfag get out go back to lurking till you turn 21

ArVid and Betamad are for digital data storage. There were a few others also, like one covered by LGR (Dan Backer). But this was a tiny part of the VHS market. A slightly more dominate form of data storage on VHS, was using S-VHS to store ADAT. ADAT could store 8 digital streams of audio at one time and was used in the production industry.

Well I guess cassettes are also not for music either considering they can hold data. Don't want to rustle the jimmies of the autistic.

Attached: p3gnugv.jpg (1125x817, 61K)

I know this is bait, but still.
At least you where born prior to the change of the millennia.
And also, best LK2 song, prove me wrong.
youtu.be/1g46MyWCLmg

>Well I guess cassettes are also not for music either considering they can hold data
Only if this were 1985 and you were loading some rubbish ZX Spectrum game off a tape.

oh ive been here since i was 15 but at least i lurked for a while before posting and shitting up threads
fuck off dont (you) me if you can only comeback with shit

bruh don't be rude

>oh ive been here since i was 15
Wow dude, you're a real veteran at this point ;^)

I was always fascinated by the analog distortion/loss
youtube.com/watch?v=mES3CHEnVyI

FUCK OFF BACK TO WHATEVER NORMIE SHITHOLE NAMEDROPPED THIS PLACE please
im 28 now how long have you been here faggot?

Attached: 0d1.jpg (640x559, 23K)

>Only if this were 1985 and you were loading some rubbish ZX Spectrum game off a tape.
You can still do it today, it still can hold data. So since it can hold a few KB of data, we can't say it's a music only format is Mr. Autis point.

Attached: 1527983100279.png (800x792, 573K)

I found some VHS cassettes recently, and noticed that when they were played on a decent VCR (4-6 head Panasonic or Sony for example), with VHS HiFi sound, and over composite, the picture quality wasn't bad at all. No less watchable than a 480p video on YouTube or wherever at least.

Of course throughout the 80s and 90s there was a good chance they would have been watched on some shitty lower end deck with Mono sound, fuck all heads and connected to the TV via the RF modulator through a coaxial cable with jack shit shielding.

Then fast forward to today, where connecting a VCR to an LCD TV often means running the video through the TV's shithouse built-in software upscaler and you have a perception of VHS that's nowhere near what the medium was actually capable of.

>im 28 now how long have you been here faggot?
Well, shit, maybe about half a year longer than you(at max) or as long as you.(about to turn 29)

>240i over composite is no less watachable than 480p via RGB
are you legally blind?

what about midis

Attached: gnome youre running i see.png (243x210, 37K)

reminder

Attached: most technologically distruptive company of 2000-2009.jpg (2316x1428, 215K)

VHS was great in the beginning however once dvd came out other than cost it held no advantages between dvd. You didnt rewind it, vhs res was barely 240p while dvd was 480p. The best format for 4:3 content is dvd. However I hate that dvd is still around as the resolution for widescreen dvds is like 640x360. Fucking boomers.

Seriously liking VHS is nothing like liking vynl. Low res outated technology is what VHS is. At least dvd has the best res for consumert 4:3 tvS

240i and 480i

they do have a kind of unique charm to them, but there's a reason they died the way they did. there's a lot of shitty things I liked when I was a kid

Cassettes hold 64k per side IIRC.

Too bad its completely pointless
Just take a high quality digital recording, lower the sample rate, overlay some noise and bam, vinyl quality.

>Low res outated technology is what VHS is
Also what vinyl is.
It's inferior in all but one way to CD and that's not a fault of CD itself, but of label jews fucking up CDs with loudness war bullshit.

>Well I guess cassettes are also not for music either considering they can hold data.
They're not for music simply because they can record any type of audio in general you fucking retard.

>Don't want to rustle the jimmies of the autistic.
Just because you are too retarded to understand basic concepts of audio, video, reality, facts, etc. Doesn't make autistic. In fact, just because I'm not retarded doesn't mean that I'm autistic.

>midis
Midis were tiny (a few KB), which is why they were used, so it could certain hold some. I don't know how many you could put on it but probably more than 100KB.

This person said they can get 1.5MB on a cassette by modifying the motor speed. instructables.com/id/Storing-files-on-an-audio-cassette/

They can hold a lot more than that.
An audio cassette has a *motherfucking shitload* more bandwidth at less attenuation than a pots phone line.

You mean the mastering of music? Oddly I always though my metallica and megadeth cds sounded fine.

Interesting.

DVD is both 480i and 480p but theres no such thing as 240i. its 240p as in 240p each other line is skipped completely on the tv screen while 480i each line is alternated.

VHS is 240i (or 288i if your a confidential type)
DVD's are not in progressive scan.

Wrong on both counts.

did you watch to the end of the video? He goes into the differences in Beta versions. I probably mentioned the tv station part for a reason and not a statement about its usefulness.

If you need to state that old as fuck machines look the same, sure you win kid.

Off the record, a floppy disk is just a cassette shaped as a platter rather than a continuous strip and it was possible to get 1MB on double density disks (which use the same iron oxide coating as a standard audio cassette) and the Victor 9000 used variable speed recording to get over 1MB. In fact it was the first computer to use this trick which Macs would employ far more famously.

Attached: victor9000s.jpg (1200x900, 308K)

newfag

Actually we're both fucking wrong.
>NTSC VHS is roughly equivalent to 333×480 pixels luma and 40×480 chroma resolutions (333×480 pixels=159,840 pixels or 0.16MP (1/6 of a MegaPixel)).,[35] while PAL VHS offers the equivalent of about 335×576 pixels luma and 40×240 chroma (the vertical chroma resolution of PAL is limited by the PAL color delay line mechanism).

Good comeback
youtu.be/Hisyfkxxu_8?t=50
Now try to convince me you're not a fur fag.

>implying nobody from 1998 used a VHS