Installing gento linux

>installing gento linux
>messing around
>have to type SUDO and my administrator password every single fucking time I do ANYTHING

Can anyone explain...

>Running a home desktop computer
>Running opensource software from signed binary packages
>Running on an operating system that NO ONE writes viruses or exploits for
>Thinking that "security" means typing your admin password over and over again into your shell

Is it just me or is Linux's security even shittier than Windows? Where is the granularity and subtly in using 100% system access to perform almost any command or system interaction?

Attached: root-1200.png (780x408, 5K)

Its so people cant run commands as root if they use your computer while youre in the loo

You can't edit files owned by root unless you're logged in as root. And if you log in as root you run programs as root that shouldn't have root access, and that's where security holes come up

sirs??? If my desktop lacked local security i would log out while in the loo or using the designated shitting street.

Shouldn't any exe on my computer be trusted, essentially, and have root access? Why wouldn't I trust executables that are running on my machine?

You could just log in as root, if it really ails you that much.

Try this:

sudo -i

You need to sudo to run chromium or firefox? I'm calling bullshit on that. No distro in the history locks things so mundane like that into the su privilege. And even IF that really happens, you can change that.

After, try rm -rf --no-preserve-root

I don't have a demented wojak appropriate for this.

Attached: 1495947553014.jpg (159x156, 5K)

Is your user in the sudo group, or the wheel group?

Are you retarded or what?
>What gives NOPASSWD?

My desktop user is in the wheel, my lapgentoop is sudo and I have others in servers that are common users.

Try removing it from sudo and adding it to wheel, and make sure %wheel ALL=(ALL) ALL is uncommented.

A system command is one that if misused can lead to compromise of your entire system, dimwit. It's how operating systems work. I bet you turn off the admin notifications in windows.

I have no idea about the technical reasons behind this, but it's annoying. Shouldn't sudo be enough? why do I have to type the password?

You are missquoting me from someone else.

What

Not enough info, which profile did you set, is it hardened? Which desktop are you using, are you using systemd or openrc? What are your global useflags, give us something to work with.

Nothing is wrong in my system, dear colleague.

Because that's what is set up in your config. If you don't want to enter the password, change the config.

>Why wouldn't I trust executables that are running on my machine?
laughingwhores.jpg

Just sudo -s you whiny faggot.

Oh, sounded to me like you were having to run Firefox as root or something.

It's kinda like the UAC prompt in Windows, that's just how it works. You get used to it after a while, you don't really want shit running with superuser privileges without your knowledge...

then run your computer as root, ya dingbat.
sudo su

so you only have to do it once

OP is either a troll or a retard. Or both.

You know what you're gonna hate worse than having to type 'sudo' before half your commands?
Ok, so I wanted to install a different browser than Firefox so I could have a clean slate for sandboxing certain activities where all my extensions and shit would be a hindrance (even when turned off/disabled for some reason), right? Well Chromium doesn't have a binary build, and it's been compiling for, oh, let's see ... four hours now. :^)

That convenience you want is exactly what makes Windows such an easy target. By default security is set as a secondary concern behind compatibility and ease of use. You're a double nigger for not being able to edit config files, which may solve your prob but I won't tell you how to. :^)

Can't you just write a bash file which locks you in as root immediately?

A Gentoo guy got ransomwared a while back. Turns out he logged in as root, and his browser was exploited.

>SUDO and my administrator password
sudo should ask for the user password and not the admin password, I hope your admin password is not the same as your user password. Anyway, you can configure sudo to only asks for your password every X minutes, to remember your password across shells for X minutes, or to not ask for your password when you run certain low-risk commands. You can also disable the password prompt altogether, but it's not a good idea.

su -

>he doesn't know about ACL and CAPACITY
>he doesn't know about LSM
>he is a FUCKING normie
NORMIE OUT. ONLY MAN CHILDREN HERE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

yeah, the Ubuntu model of using sudo for everything is fucking brain-damaged
unfortunately, it passed into the common knowledge and people will defend it to death without even thinking about it

>ubuntu
>sudo
>everything
u wot?
it just so happens I've been paying attention to when I need to use sudo on a week-old install of Xubuntu.
Would you like to know how much I have to use it? no? well, I'm telling you anyways.
The only time I need to use sudo is when I'm modifying system files that your average user has no business even looking at. I know... crazy, right?

That's the point you brainlet.
Under the Ubuntu model you're using sudo for everything you want to do as root, which is wrong.
Sudo was invented to give granular permissions for specific commands for users that can't be trusted with a full root access.
Using it indiscriminately (e.g. as a substitute for su) is vulnerable because everyone who knows your user password now gets full root privileges.
Of course su isn't ideal either because there's one shared password.
There is, however, a solution: having a separate password for getting root shell. There are a few existing solutions (HP has one), and I think you can hack sudo through PAM to do this too.

"Quotes from the internet are rarely accurate" - Robert E Lee

>falling for memes
>not reading the manpages
>unironically defending memes and things based on memes
>not understanding the software you use
>being this much of a brainlet
Take your time to learn how linux works. It'll save you time and embarassement.
Alternatively, use something more sensible like Arch, Void or Debian and do sudo -i when you need to do a lot of tasks as root.
also
>>sticky

>rm -rf --no-preserve-root
Working for me! Big thanks user.