Whatever happened to Tox chat? I remembered it being shilled as Jow Forums's messagin app 2 years ago?

Whatever happened to Tox chat? I remembered it being shilled as Jow Forums's messagin app 2 years ago?

Attached: 1519352764788.png (1358x522, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/irungentoo/toxcore
github.com/toktok
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

look up stqism
his nick on rizon is coup btw. Feel free to be a dick to him.

So they abandoned it?

github.com/irungentoo/toxcore
Last update was 2 years ago
So Tox is pretty much abandoned, right?

>developed on 4chin from all places
>compromised on release
I don't know anything about cryptography but posters who cracked it said it was some elementary stuff.
I mean, everyone has the right to make mistakes and improve but this guy was such a arrogant fucking tool it's no wonder no one trusts him after that.

it werks
utox is less than a megabyte and has voice and video

github.com/toktok

W I R E
I
R
E

I'm a former tox dev, it basically works.

Only since the project had the worst PR in the history of ever there's no chance it was going to take off, no matter the technical details.
So I guess a lot of people just stopped working on it. It's just maintened slowly now.

There were multiple issues as far as I remember.

You had developers with no experience in professional software development or formal education in cryptography, making people simply not trust it

Then there were literal pedophiles with anime pictures as avatars contributing to the project, further making normal people want to avoid it

Last update was a few hours ago. You're looking at the old repo.

>I'm a former tox dev, it basically works.
This also. Plus the code is pretty easy to review.

There is a lot of PR issue... Because Jow Forums no matter what it do is plagued with its deviant racist incel reputation. There is a bazillion of messengers now, they're not better than Tox but they have less PR issues because they're not associated with Jow Forums the Internet cesspool.

centralized... not completely free, possibly(?), they won't put it on f-droid

>There is a lot of PR issue... Because Jow Forums no matter what it do is plagued with its deviant racist incel reputation.

Pedophile anime reputation was the issue, I believe.

These people spilled over onto GitHub etc. and even wear their anime avatars there

Wire (both the client and the server) are all free software distributed under a liberal license. They won't put in on F-Droid because it doesn't work with MicroG.

asdf test

>anime picture == pedophile

Fdroid is shit. We should be using Yalp instead.

This is what happened to it

Attached: TheAbsoluteStateOfTox.jpg (1000x1000, 171K)

Ah right I forgot about this picture. Kinda funny

When you use a barely dressed underaged girl in an obviously sexualized position as your avatar even if that is a cartoon, that is what most normal people infer. It might seem strange to you if your only interaction with people is a forum or board that think that behaviour is normal.

Attached: 1499628061360.jpg (1920x1080, 146K)

S-so this means normal non lewd anime pictures are fine on github?

That beats the entire purpose of having one, even in the non lewd ones the girls are positioned in an arousing/sexualized manner. Normal ones do exist but hardly anybody uses those.

Attached: 1524768817682.jpg (960x720, 77K)

Is it secure? Others are saying it isn't.

Howbout this? Am I safe? C-can I still be hired ~desuka?

Attached: cc_eats_dominos_pizza.jpg (300x300, 42K)

Was the implementation shit or were they trying to roll their own encryption

Is Bitmessage better?

I don't use microg, why does it matter? You can grab the wire apk from their site and use it, just annoying to update it then.
You fucking idiot. Yalp is just for accessing the play store. It's a bunch of non-free software. F-droid is way better.

Nope, this is what I meant by 'non lewd' but sexualized position. Here's a tip, imagine a real girl in the same position. Now imagine if the same girl would want that pic in her CV.

And? Just use the free software available on Play store(Which is almost all of them) then. Don't need to use the two apps for the same thing when the other have even lesser apps available.

Here is a tip. Why don't you go back to Jow Forumseddit fucking retard?

Why? Reddit loves japanese cartoons too and filled with the same yolk. Are you not even self aware how similar both are? Why are you still pretending like both are two poles apart?

I don't see the problem here. My avatar is from boku no pico in a clearly lewd position and I got still hired by google.

Attached: whatever.png (1100x500, 605K)

As I said you wouldn't see a problem if your only interaction is with those who think like that.

middle animu?

Petty drama happened.

A few of these, like "evilmale", reads like a parody.

read*

Google is a very progressive company. Maybe you were an affirmative action hire for the next progressive push.

Attached: google salad.png (643x610, 109K)

Akatsuki no Yona, it's a bit of a reverse harem and clearly a shoujo. But many people still liked it and it's certainly worth a try.

Like I said I don't know. All I remember it was completely compromised like few days after release and everyone laughed at it.

The short answer is yeah, it's secure. Meaning the NSA, your ISP, or whoever's spying on you won't be able to decrypt shit.

The nuanced answer is that the crypto's pretty amateurish, and even if nobody can just come and break it, there's a bunch of nice-to-have cryptographic properties that the Tox protocol doesn't have.
The gist of it is if no one fucks up, Tox is pretty damn unbreakable, but if and when someone gets compromised we do fuck all to mitigate the damage and wish you good luck as you get screwed left, right and center.

Thanks
I don't really understand what you mean by damage mitigation, but it sound like for just keep familial conversations private tox is fine.

>inclusive vegan salad
And they wonder why they lost 2016

>I don't really understand what you mean by damage mitigation
For example if you get a virus and someone steals your account, or if family member copies your tox profile on a USB key.
We don't do much to defend against that, but as long as you keep your computer safe, Tox will keep you safe.

>but it sound like for just keep familial conversations private tox is fine.
Yeah it should be more than enough.
Just do remember to disable the chat logs in your Tox client if you don't want your conversations to stick around!

Google is special extra crazy, though.

Attached: googler on hn.jpg (1150x521, 98K)

The most damning thing about Tox's crypto is that if someone steals your key, they can impersonate other people TO YOU. Not only is this bad, it's not something you expect unless you familiar with the problem.

Play Store doesn't list licenses. You know I mean free as in freedom, right? There are also apps that are only on F-Droid, such as Clover.

>Being this triggered over eggs

you get aroused by cartoons?

could you post examples of lewd profile pictures?
im curious

how would one steal your key tho?
and iirc irungen2 said if that happens impersonation would be the least of your worries

this must be a joke, everyone knows the meme mantra:
>it leaks ur ip