Other urls found in this thread:

emacswiki.org/emacs/WhiteSpace
github.com/antonj/Highlight-Indentation-for-Emacs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>windows 10
>emacs
What would RMS say?

He would interject

I have emacs on my Debian WSL, the native Windows version is ass.

>windows
>programming
literally kys

Fix the shit tier default settings, eg. change the programming style from "GNU" to something else.
Activate the new line number feature in your elisp file.
Test if you can create an org file and export it to HTML.

>the native Windows version is ass.
why is that

set up spacemacs or evil mode so you get sane keybindings :P

by far i know that python/ruby on windows is shite
what makes programming in general bad on windows?

in short? microsoft. They want you to program using their stuff there only ( and to be honest, their programming stuff is not bad), so they dont care about things like "having a decent c library".

sort your copypastas with org mode

downloaded spacemacs package
going to set it up soon

Write sum C#.

Uninstall it and install Sublime Editor

Install Gentoo

There is no difference of python in windows vs linux. There used to be, like a decade ago, but not anymore.

As for programming in Windows:
1. if you're gonna use the Windows API, get ready for a lot of legacy code that only makes sense for people who programmed in the 80s.
2. there's nothing out-of-the-box, not even a text editor. You need to install all your compilers etc. individually, and there is no package aggregator like apt-get or yum to speed things up.
3. a lot of libraries are developed by linux people and thus have no native windows build. This can be amended with cygwin and mingw, but it's still somewhat clunky.

On the other hand, VS is an amazing debugger.

And this is why all professional developers use the Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display instead.

>Sublime Editor
is that a knock off of Sublime Text?

More like
>GayBook Pro with Lesbian Display

It's really great that you support open source.

Is this bait or are you shills required to post "Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display" if you want to get shekels?

Yep, that's actually what's written in their "genius marketing" guide.

if on windows, get the development branch user.

Source?

Configure it to your liking

user, before you get deep into it I'd suggest installing the linux subsystem for windows and running emacs from there (you'll also need to install an X server like Xming)
That way you'll still be able to enjoy the benefits of linux, especially if you start writing code.

I just compiled and installed it on my LFS, what should I do now? is it better than nano or gedit?

Attached: vmware_2018-06-09_20-33-29.png (853x917, 495K)

There is no better or worse editor, the best editor is the one that works for you. If you wanna see if Emacs is suited for you, start by reading some beginner tutorial on it, and try it out for a few days. If you feel like the command-centric approach of it makes sense, then stick to it. Otherwise, move on to another one.

Get spacemacs

Nice trips
Do what
said, but my advice is get a prepared config before you dive in to a tutorial (like spacemacs or doom emacs)
Why? They put a strong emphasis on usability and things will probably be easier getting started. Unless you want a hardcore experience, which seems like a waste of effort to me

Remove it and run a virus scanner.

I'll expand on what
suggested and throw Prelude into the mix as well. It's a premade config that retains the base emacs keybindings, sane defaults and great integration with a lot of programming langs. But just like every other premade config, it's very opinionated, and you'll probably end up hand-rolling your own config in the end, combining the best parts of other configurations with your own preferences.

Other configs you might look into are Xah Lee's config (modal bindings, interesting emacs blod), abo-abo's config (vim-based bindings, lisp-oriented), magnars' config (author of the Emacs Rocks video series, very basic).

Stick with spacemacs/doom/prelude if you want a complete, ready-to-program, no fiddling required setup and experience.

Good luck on your journey, brother.

Xah Lee's description was supposed to say blog*

Reconsider your life.

Now install MacType to get a decent font aliasing

what if i use gcc?

Stop using emacs if you have to ask why to use emacs.
Dark days are coming, emacs is becoming trendy.

Well, linux was always built to be a programmer's operating system, at least the "gnu" of gnu/linux was. The gcc compiler lies at it's core. windows has been a consumer, family freindly os. Don't get me wrong, if you want to code on windows more power to you, but you'll spend quite some time downloading and configuring software that is already integral to linux as a part of it's functionality.

To spare Jow Forums another emacs thread, I wonder if someone can help me. I'm looking for a way to hide written prose in a .markdown document on new line. In other words, a way to only show the line I'm working on and make the rest of the text invisible, to keep prying eyes from reading my laptop display in public. Anyone know if there's a package or config option that does this?

what are some neat packages I don't know I need?

Is there a way to get graphical indent lines on emacs? And don't tell me to use pipe characters because that makes a horrible ugly indented line.

im convinced emacs can't do what i want and that makes me sad.

Attached: 1528274282498.png (1729x985, 92K)

Probably because he is an autist. The windows version is perfectly fine. Literally no difference between the two as far as functionality, looks, and performance.

Most programmers use windows lmfao.

What advantage does Linux have over Windows for programming.

Before someone says Bash what can't I do with GitBash even ignoring the fact that powershell has come a long way.

Mac OS has the advantage of having to actually have it to do apple shit.

You can say pretty much the same vice versa for C#/.NET development on Windows vs. Linux.

There is no reason to use Linux over Windows for programming. Decorating your desktop like a faggot all day is not programming.

Amazing how Linux people complain about installing compilers, text editors, IDEs, and shit.

Like adding stuff to your PATH is hard or something lol.

Interject about what?

emacswiki.org/emacs/WhiteSpace

those don't even remotely resemble the graphical indent lines present in almost every other text editor. i dont think emacs can do what i want.

Install spacemacs

Dumb fuck, spacemacs has a toggle for this. Find out which package it uses. It's called something like toggle indentation column

Can't believe I looked it up for you

github.com/antonj/Highlight-Indentation-for-Emacs

Emacs can do anything

These are not the same thing, dummy. These highlight the entire column, they are not a vertical line.

>Emacs can do anything
I just showed you it can't do something other text editors can. inb4 "you dont need that"

Attached: Untitled.png (1361x489, 130K)

thats not an indent guide line.

all videogames are made in Windows. And most CRUD software, and CAD software, and music editing software, and video edition software, and 3D modelling software, 3D movies.

Yeah, Windows is a shit development platform.