Which programming language?

I will start university in a few months and want to spend the time learning my first programming language. I know the question which language is the best has been asked countless times and cannot really be answered. There's always someone who hates the one that someone else just recommended.
Also, different tools for different tasks I guess.
So let me ask instead: Which language makes the most sense to learn as a beginner, and why? If you could go back and change the first language you learned, which one would it be? What's your favourite language and why?
I was thinking Java, but it gets a lot of hate here.

Attached: logos_pgm[1].jpg (2000x1200, 396K)

Other urls found in this thread:

castle-engine.io/modern_pascal_introduction.html
techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r16&hw=ph&test=db
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

ARM Assembly and C

Pascal obviously
castle-engine.io/modern_pascal_introduction.html

>makes sense
Check out what your classes program in and learn that you dumb fuck. Why waste time if you won’t use it? The language doesn’t matter, it’s the data structures and algorithms that you need to know. How you express them is arbitrary.

I got thought Pascal for 1/2 year before uni and it was wasted time and then Java first year. Imho it's solid language to begin with.
Types, good abstractions
>inb4 OOP == POO, beginner won't get to the crazy pointless OOP patterns any time soon
JVM isn't hard to get running and projects aren't hard to compiler, IDE can help you
Beginners need to get to understand what role operating system has for program - standard input and output, commandline arguments, files, later network... and some languages are worse for this then other - JS in browser has limited interaction with system (plus dynamic types), python has crappiest I/O abstraction, dunno ruby
C and C++ and crazy and confusing in way too many aspects
C# is also fine

It depends on what you want to do

Systems programming
Embedded software
Web development
Game Development

Use whatever's best for your career path after university

You’re gonna probably use java in your classes so just start with java

Whats good for systems and game dev?

C++, c#, Lua, Typescript, xamarin, angular

Systems too? C++ I guess.

Java or C#

Java is a good start. My course began with that, the following class has been on C. Courses my friends are doing have started with Python, so you could look at that too.

Java!
It's relatively easy to learn, doesn't segfault, it's comparatively fast while still being nice to code in, it has a static type system which helps to catch errors during coding, supports generics, and very important: it has good IDE support, it's crossplattform, write once, run everywhere, it's probably the most used general-purpose language out-there.

I would refrain from learning C first in it is much more error prone and you have to write more boiler plate code; it's not as satisfying for a beginner.

C++ has become more usable in the last years, but it's still not a coherent and programmer-friendly design, due to it's C legacy. The compiler error messages are horrible, which makes it hard for a beginner to identify what he did wrong.

Also, I wouldn't recommend starting with a language that is not particularly popular, (like Pascal), because you will be able to find much better learning resources and help online for a language that is more widespread.

TLDR: Learn Java

Attached: TIOBE_most_popular_programming_languages.png (934x786, 51K)

>my first programming language.
It doesn't matter.

>I know the question which language is the best has been asked countless times and cannot really be answered. There's always someone who hates the one that someone else just recommended.
So why post?

>Which language makes the most sense to learn as a beginner, and why?
It doesn't matter, at all.

>If you could go back and change the first language you learned, which one would it be?
I wouldn't go back and change my first programming language because it would make no difference whatsoever. The first language you learn doesn't mean shit. It won't affect the type of job you get in the future. It won't affect how much money you make. The only things that really matters are your ability to learn on your own and your communication skills. There will always be something new you have to learn. And if you plan on working with other people you need to effectively communicate with them.

>What's your favourite language and why?
I don't have one. Programming languages aren't waifus.
>

Attached: guideTo1stLanguage.png (661x716, 74K)

>implying it wouldn't make a difference whether to learn FORTRAN or Java as the first language
>implying a bad first language wouldn't cause so much dissatisfaction as to stop learning programming

Python, C#, Go, Javascript, Swift, Dart.

Anything else is completely irrelevant.

OP don't listen to these faggots.
Whatever you learn first learn C. It will greatly help you, I'm not exaggerating.
The best order
1. C
2. C++ or Java
3. Assembly
4. Any other language you want

>it wouldn't make a difference whether to learn FORTRAN or Java as the first language
For a beginner, it wouldn't.

>a bad first language wouldn't cause so much dissatisfaction as to stop learning programming
PEBKAC. You kids have it rough today. You feel as though you have to pick the "right" language. Because if you don't, it will hurt your feelings and make you give up. I thought I had it bad because I didn't have Internet search engines and online tutorials and Stack Overflow. I had to go to a library and copy shit out of books and magazines if I wanted to play around with programming. Hopefully there wasn't a typo in the book. But it is so much more difficult now I suppose. Heaven forbid you run into any issues with your first programming languages.

God speed newbies.

Python
After you've grasped all the basics well you can actually do C.
You don't really need assembly unless you want to reverse engineer or you want learn about compiler quirks, but you'll end up learning some anyway when debugging this fucking language.

READ SICP! The interpreter you will want to use is racket.

ah okay, it's some ancient boomer.
Opinion completely irrelevant.

learn to suck dick or you won't get a job ever. what you "learn" or what are your grades mean jack shit.
t. unemployed 6 years and counting.

funny how you spell "literal loser". How can you even fuck up this badly. Jesus Christ. Where I live people come to my university and recruit students that are about to graduate right out of the classroom.

short: python

long: think of a project, anything, do some research on technology/ languages that would benefit project, implement with trial and error.

I would recommend JavaScript and React, actually.
It's super easy, modern, popular, and you'll be able to build useful things immediately.

Java is another good choice, though it feels decidedly less modern than JS with ES6/7.

My favorite programming language is Ruby, though. If you're up for a challenge that's a great choice.

Python. C# is just a meme bot net language. And like many Jow Forums memes it's just hipster bullshit that nobody pays any mind to in the real world.

Language doesn't matter at all, what matters is learning programming concepts and how to approach a problem. That being said, to learn programming, I'd say Python's probably the best way to go nowadays. It's easy to get into, the interpreter is easy to use with no bullshit, it's actually useful, and it's the same on pretty much every platform. Be aware that Python is a (very good and very versatile) scripting language.

After Python, learn whatever your uni is pushing you to learn. Once you have a better idea of where you want to go with your career, learn something in that area. A lot of game developers use C# or C++. Web developers use Javascript and PHP. If you want to work on systems or embedded software, consider C. It really depends on what you want to do. Programming languages are just tools to do a job.

No matter which route you take, learning C at some point is going to make you a better programmer because it doesn't hold your hand in any way. You actually have to think about development instead of just scribbling down lines of Python or something.

Learn some easy scripting language like Python or Ruby at first. Play around, make some usable software(e.g. web scrapers, personal clocks, command-line file trees, etc.).

Then learn C from K&R. Do all the exercises(or about 80% anyway). If you don't know C well, you're not a programmer.

Then learn something that gets you a job/is popular, like C++ or Java.

Pick up lisp or haskell or ml, if you can.

why ruby?

Learning C as a first language is not a bad idea. It's not hard as people claim it is. If you don't know it, you are not a programmer indeed. The only problem is that, if C is your first language you will always view other languages and inferior, but you are gonna use them anyway.

>Node, Visual Studio, .NET, Rails, Sublime, VS Code, are NOT programming languages

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Javascript and c#

Nodejs

I think I might have a job for you

I don't know anything about programming but I'll just leave this here haha:

myrlang.org

>C#
Try again bill

radare is my bae.

>calling C# hipster bullshit
I could understand if you said that about rust, go, or one of the other things with low adoption rates, but I don't think you can call C# hipster.

>literal who google langs instead of C, C++, or Java
t. hipster

Start with QBASIC

For web, I'd go with HTML, CSS first (not language but you'll need them) then jQuery and PHP. You'll be able to build cool web apps pretty quickly. Huge amount of resource for PHP.

Python's a good shout but you should learn some C, because it's a low level language, you'll learn how C makes use of memory management. I don't know how to do much in C but that core principal of memory usage will teach you a lot about computers.

This website is literally retarded, Java is the best language. Well, the JVM is the best platform. Learn Java for school then use Kotlin in your free time.

These threads are always a shitshow.

Attached: 1473068015319.gif (255x248, 2.74M)

Lua is easy to learn and use, has a simple interface with C and has a very comfy ecosystem, including a 2d game library thats bretty good, since its runs over C code. Also it has some "optional" OOP if you want to try it.

start with pastascript. it will teach you everything you need to learn.

Java is the Honda Civic of programming languages. You really can't go wrong learning it. It's safe, it's fast, it's popular, it has the best tool support possible, many libraries, it's a well-designed language, you can do web (server side) development, mobile (Android), desktop applications, etc. it runs on Windows, macOS, Linux, BSD, etc. Stretching a bit you can do data analysis or video game programming and command-line utilities, although Python would be better for that.

Then you can expand your knowledge by learning different languages: C to understand better how lower-level stuff works, and a scripting language like JavaScript or Python, because they are better at doing quick, throw-away, experimental code.

Nobody uses ancient langs anymore sweetie!

You're an idiot.

Stay absolutely mad you're using outdated ancient techniques to try and accomplish things. Maybe this is why you're just a shitposter on Jow Forums?
JUST A THOT.

I definitely think you should use a language with a REPL first. Technically, many languages can have user/community-made REPLs via some minor hacking, but using LISP/Python/Ruby/etc. seems more logical, IMO.

REPLs allow for instant code testing and playing around. For a brand new programmer, that just seems ideal to have, rather than using compilers (regardless of how fast they can be). If you ask old people who took programming classes in the 80s/90s what their biggest gripes were, it's that you could program a long program that would fail at the smallest error.

LISPs (Common Lisp, Scheme, Racket, Clojure, and others) are nice because the syntax of commands is fairly predictable. However, most commonly-used languages use fairly simple syntax, too, and S-expressions can be a bit much to wrap your head around. Nonetheless, a Lisp can be a nice intro compared to the often weird syntax of newer languages (e.g. Haskell).

Python is probably the best non-LISP to start with (it's MIT's introductory language of choice, which replaced Scheme), but you'll have to deal with its formatting autism. Further, you'll have to personally dive deep into its fairly extensive standard library, which will really unleashes its capabilities. Otherwise, it has the benefit of being simple: it's imperative, it can be functional when it wants to be, and it can be OOP, too, which are all good for the trends of modern programming paradigms.

This guys nailed it. Java is great since OOP is an easy paradigm to grasp. Then once you start to explore algorithms and memory management you'll want to play with C since java's garbage collection won't be there to save you forever. Python/JS or any scripting language is basically duct tape that can be used for a fuck load of stuff.

Attached: Archangel-Michael-Ivan-Bilibin.jpg (1000x1196, 259K)

Java
It will get you a job
It will let you do everything
it is very fast
vert.x shits on the competition
techempower.com/benchmarks/#section=data-r16&hw=ph&test=db

retarded hipster with no job spotted

Java will probably be the one you can get a job in.

first language doesn't matter? assembly, brainfuck, gl kid

Lisp
Read SICP