Slackware

Why don't you use it Jow Forums?

Attached: 2000px-Slackware_logo.svg.png (2000x2000, 775K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.slackware.com/slackware:liveslak
slackbook.org/html/package-management.html
sbopkg.org/
slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/network/remmina/?search=Remmina
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Still on KDE4

slackware current has plasma 5

I can wait until slackware 15.0 then. I rather not have to deal with a sudden breakage because of a new API change or whatever.

I'm on Plasma 5 and using it on Slackware. Thanks to Alienbob. It also has PlasmaWayland but I can't get Wayland to work for some reason. It reports back to me saying "Cannot find Xwayland". Starting Wayland without the --xwayland flag works though.

True. I'm going to miss kde4

I'm checking the repo for slackware current and it still says it's on KDE4. I know about alienbob but I thought you said that pat finally added KDE5 to offical slackware

You can wait for the next release of Slackware, which will ship with Plasma, or you can download the liveUSB version with Plasma and install that to your drive, which is what I did.

docs.slackware.com/slackware:liveslak

nixos is better

>b-b-but you can just install nix package manager!

>nixos is better
How?

What is the use case for slackware. Why would you use slackware instead of say ubuntu?
If you answer systemd and similar please detail your answer with a specific case. Not trying to start shit (well, just a little), I just don't see the point.

I wanted to but I never managed to boot on their iso

Slackware's repos are too small. There is no good reason to use it over Debian and Ubuntu. Hell even Fedora and openSuse can't compete with Debian and they are light years ahead of Slackware in regards to repos.

Systemd. John Connor from the future.

This but unironically
Your tiny brain hosting your sick mind isn't able to fathom the consequences of systemd. Until you see the errors of your ways, you are our enemy.

That's the conclusion I've drawn myself. I really don't care much what happens behind the curtains, I find it irrelevant for personal use. I can see why this is not the case on deployment systems, but for personal use it just seems daft.

good memes

Stability
Slackbuilds has everything you'll ever need

slackbook.org/html/package-management.html

Because I'm not a literal neanderthal, and I want my package management tools to much, much _more_ powerful than `rpm` or `dpkg`, not less.

check out sbopkg. It works very well
sbopkg.org/

I just use wget and installpkg. And of course slackbuilds.org. I don't see why others would find that "autistic" or "I'm not a literal(sic) neanderthal.

Allow me to move the goalpost, for personal use I've only managed to break ubuntu when installing ROS, which I have yet to hear of anyone getting to work on slackware. Are you referring to crashing, or update stability? And for personal or deployment?

Slackpkg:
Install
Remove
Update
Upgrade

What else do you need a package manager to do?

Why ROS wouldn't work in Slackware?

Stability regarding everything, update stability and crashing. Slackware delivers software as intended by the developer, not modified shit.
In my case, personal/professional use, however I'm a civil engineer so I can't make any comments about deployment.

use dd to a usb drive

It probably works, but if you would like to not compile everything yourself and receive no help from others when your inevitably run into an issue it's not a very good idea. And once you do manage to pull it off, what have you actually gained over just putting it on a stock ubuntu install?

you miss the - Clean

That's when you get Slackel, Salix, Porteus, or Absolute Linux

how about manage dependencies?

not him, but it really is. i used slackware for years and nixos made me switch

I still fail to see the benefit. What does all this extra work actually give me? I would consider getting a better understanding of unix/linux a valid answer, but I don't really see why it would be a good time investment compared to other approaches. ROS is kind of a special case of course, I prefer it when software isn't compatible with only one distro, so you don't have to answer in terms of getting ROS to work.

Slackel, Salix, and the others mentioned are essentially the same as Manjaro to Arch: lightweight, easy to install, and in the case of Slackel, compatible with both Slackware and Salix repositories

Slackbuilds are intuitive enough so I've never asked for help.

Also I've never used Ubuntu and I don't feel I will ever need to. What would I gain using Ubuntu over Slackware?

Why do you need that? That's why when you try to uninstall gedit you get the whole OS uninstalled. Also I'm not installing software every day, when I install Slackware I just update, install the software I need and then get work.

>Also I've never used Ubuntu and I don't feel I will ever need to. What would I gain using Ubuntu over Slackware?
I can't answer of course as I've never used slack. My point is that for a vast majority of use cases picking one distro over the other makes no difference at all, so why not use the more widely adopted distros? I know I'm basically arguing "it's good because it's popular", but I prefer not being the first person to come across an issue when I have to use some shitty software that doesn't work well on all distros etc. A recent example, some lab software I use is winshit only, so I remote to a winshit machine with remmina. My friend was shilling for void linux, so I checked if remmina would work on void but it wouldn't. This doesn't mean void linux is bad, it means remmina is, but sadly that's a good reason to use ubuntu over void linux. Of course you can get remmina to work on void, but again that's extra work for no benefit.

It contains nonfree software by default.

go fuck yourself ritchie

Dude, I still cannot get the point, I've never had any problem when using slackbuilds.
slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/network/remmina/?search=Remmina

Maybe it's just a void problem, but Slackware is such a neutral distribution that you most probably will never have an issue related to distro specific compatibility. I can even install .deb files when needed.

every time you install something that breaks because a missing dep you will see what is missing, in most cases.
Every SlackBuild tells you which deps you'll need, so you install them before.
After couple years using Slackware the only deps I had to install was libs for nigger compton and othe shits... few stuff. Slackware is a very different distro from the others and it does not appeals most users for sure. you love it or leave it.

that might be it, back then I did it from windows I don't think I used dd with rufus

I had to use the analogy to void because I've never used slack so I can't make a statement on it. The only way I can equate them is that they are both less commonly used and that I expect there to be similar cases with slack. Either way I don't really feel very strongly about distros, I just need emacs to work, so excuse my ignorance

Why SHOULD I use Slackware? The only real reason I've heard is because it lacks dependency management, and outside a few edge cases(such as needing to remove the gnome metapackage to uninstall gedit(no, uninstalling the metapackage does NOT remove gnome)), that seems like a downside.

>systemD
If I wanted something without systemd, I'd install Gentoo or Devuan.

It's one of the most stable and reliable linux distros out there (even more than debian). I also never had problems managing software and since you said gnome was installed this must have been way back in 2005. gnome has been removed since then but that's just my opinion. if the distro you're using right know works for you then stick with it.

>devuan
>portage

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 77K)

rufus? forget about it
just get into a prompt and
> dd if=path/to/your/iso.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=4M ; sync