/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/eMtwGjJX

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: 68295411_p0.jpg (888x1300, 554K)

>tfw somebody has green bubbles

Maki is my wife!

Just block them.
Android users are not worth talking to, you can ask them to go out and they will tell you they don’t have any money.

maki a slut
bad OP

OP3T, 1 year of use, great battery life, huge 128gb internal non-expandable storage, snapdragon 820 and 6gb ram which are enough for hacking into fucking NASA if you need that, only 4% loss battery health over one year of use. Cheap for its hardware, tons of community support in custom roms.

>inb4 it's a pajeet phone
I'm an achmed not a pajeet so you're kinda close gg

Accidentally flashed my redmi 5 plus with chinese stock rom, are there like any other way to unlock the bootloader? Want to flash lineage os so bad

>much shekels
many shekels
"much" quantifies a single entity, such as, for example, water. "There is too much water."

"many" quantifies multiple entities, such as for example multiple puddles of water, or multiple bottles of water. "There are many puddles of water"; "there are many bottles of water."

Guys, I have a question: are smartphones officially stagnating?

I'm on my old Note 4 which I bought 4 years ago, and my friend (bragger that he is) told me I was about to get BTFO when he ordered the Note 8. But we compared it to my old 4 over a few days and as far as I can tell the Note 8 is:
>weighs more
>slippery as shit
>a bit fatter
>taller but slightly less width
>same resolution
>slower CPU (clockwise)
>no removable battery
>my standard battery lasts longer than his (we compared)

His UI looked nice, but my custom rom looks better and operates smoother. Not to mention when I slap my custom battery in, I outlast his phone by 2 days. He paid close to a thousand dollars for a phone that is arguably not better than my 4 year old device.

Have we just hit a cap as to how much power we are able to put into these things or is it all a scam?

Attached: 1499013396291.jpg (1940x1318, 395K)

Yes

So then why do ultranormals do it? Why are there lines around the block for the new iPhone and the new Galaxy getting 10s across the board from every reviewer?

The revolution is over. Phones are competing with and losing against 4-year-old devices. How the fuck are """new""" smartphones even a thing?

Pretty much. I still use a note 2. Works well with custom roms and I can go for several days on a charge with normal use on a big fat oem battey. Thought about upgrading but I see no point. If anything leads me to reconsider it would be a good 4" phone if similar quality. I'm getting to the point where I'd rather have a mini device for occasional use rather than a phablet.

The old ones malfunction, and the new ones are shitty husks of a better design, made to perish sooner so the consumer purchases another phone every year.

What are the best apps for music and video playback? VLC?
no water resistance

I totally see your point about the phablet thing. I only stick to my Note 4 because, as mentioned, I see no reason to upgrade ("""upgrade""") to anything newer and because I have fat sausage fingers that need a big wide screen for me to actually hit the letters.

If something new and genuinely better comes along I'll take a look, but if this new Note 8 is Samsungs flagship phablet, I don't see myself upgrading any time soon....

Except not really? As I said I've had my Note 4 for close to 4 years and that motherfucker's been in the ground so many times I can't count it. It still runs like a dream without a scratch on it (that last part might be luck, but it's far from broken).

Are you serious? People shell out a thousand bucks so they go for a fucking swim with their phones?

t. Neet

I am just trying to find reasons. I am not a normie.

>namefaggin

Yeah flagship with non-removable battery is insult on injury in my opinion. But I guess the industry has decide they don't want phones lasting this long. I could easily get a decade of use on mine if rom devs cooperate.

This way I don't need to describe who I am everytime I ask for help .This is my first phone

You probably care about the phone enough to charge it properly, doing 20-70% charge cycles instead of 0-100% like most users who end up running their battery into the ground in 2 years tops.
Most users break their own phones with bad habits and tons of useless background crap wearing the battery out. To them, phones are expendable.
Many consider phones a status symbol, changing them often suggests you have plenty of money to waste.

No I could easily afford a new phone. It's just seeing what constitutes an upgrade these days kinda' makes me not want to. Watching my buddy blow about a grand on a phone that's essentially the same as the one I bought right after college is abysmal.

I know user, I feel that modern phones are built to break, but even slightly older ones are made from diamond.

I honestly think I'll stick with my Note 4 until it literally breaks. Or until some prime mechanical function dies (the sim-card reader or the microSD-reader or something fucking snaps). And even then there's a good chance I'll just buy a new one...

Yeah you're probably right. It's a bit of a shame though, because if you take care of a good phone it'll stick with you like the Nokias of old. As mentioned above, I'm probably not gonna' make a change until this one breaks in half.

Nobody cares

Go drink bleach and watch YouTube tutorials

t. Neet in denial

so how good are the new nokias?

Nokia was once the setter of standards, now they just follow Samsung and Apple.

Precisely. I reviewed my OnePlus 3T a few replies earlier. The phone lost 4% total battery capacity in one year. A little understanding of li-ion batteries and handling them right goes a long way to save it from damage.
Assuming 80% capacity is when most batteries just begin to show their age, I can see my phone working good as new for a total of 6-7 years on battery capacity estimates alone. Even longer if I decide to carry a power bank after that.

I agree. A modern phone can run for a decade easily, provided the software is maintained.

seems you care enough to get antsy over it. So be it

Pic related, me trying to get warranty information. Although they probably wouldn't cover broken screens anyways: only hardware defects

Attached: file.png (482x432, 34K)

Best buy has iPhone 7 on sale for $399.

Worth it?

Exactly, and with custom roms like Lineage (I like Resurrection myself, but it's a taste thing) you are essentially getting the same features everyone else is getting. It feels like an idiot-tax to buy a new phone these days, but as some guy above me said, they've turned it into a status-symbol.

And spending money on stupid shit usually IS a status symbol...

>buying stolen phones
>surprised they have spoofed data

Yeah I'm that user who said that! Glad we see eye to eye

I'm thinking of getting a used pixel xl for $300.
Is this the best bang for your buck option out there with my budget or are there better options? In the US so i can't get chink phones that don't give complete band coverage

Attached: 611od2FNQfL._SX569_.jpg (569x569, 42K)

Attached: 1506398431059.jpg (736x637, 39K)

Kinda but
>slower CPU (clockwise)
Come on now
Camera in phones are still improving and performance is also improving.

I installed a root checker app and it says it isnt rooted, so the IMEI must be clean. I had not noticed the blacklisted imei on the box was for the s8, not my s8+. not sure how he ended up with that box

t. Beaner

that's not what i asked, dont reply if you have no clue, retard.

>gets s8+ inside a s8 box
>doesn’t realize until now

it came in a plastic bag, the phone was not in the box

I was trying to wrap "shit" in a nice wrapper for you. They're garbage mediocre rip-offs with sub-par hardware and bloat.

what phone does maki use?

Lmao did you even check it there? Or you were too busy sucking how dick.

I want a big phone for killing time at work. Xiaomi Mi Max 2 (outdated at this point?), Nokia 7 Plus, or Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra?

I'm open to other suggestions though. My only real priorities are big screen, and no notch.

I checked everything there, except the IMEI which I forgot.

My pinky hurts. Fuck smartphones.

sup guys looking for a phone
>$25
>argentina
>big screen

And the box apparently.

You might as well turn it into the police already

How powerful are you thinking? I got the XMM2 and it's nice.

Attached: missingthepoint.jpg (400x400, 14K)

>”don’t mind me I’m just buying stolen goods!”

Attached: 8CED4FDF-641D-4437-9BC3-6F8D36676CC0.gif (407x361, 26K)

>A cardboard box is worth returning

Give it back jamal

Any phones with full qwerty keyboards? Or slide out keyboards.

It doesn't need to be super powerful. I mostly just do browsing, occasional shitposting, videos, and some emulation of stuff like gameboy. As long as it isn't total potato hardware I think I should be fine.

My main concern with Mi Max 2 is that it's already a year old and I'm worried about buying it and then not getting updates for much longer. I like to keep phones for at least a couple of years, preferably longer.

Root it, then throw Lineage on it. Boom updates forever and more control over your CPU.

>android
>updates
Lmao

>>slower CPU (clockwise)
You should know better than to believe that clock speed is everything, user. But yes, smartphones have been stagnating for years. They were stagnating when the Note 4 came out, even.

Phones nowadays are all about the SoC, camera, and software. Besides those, they're mostly all the same glass rectangles sporting the same features getting the same jobs done.

I'm not really interested in Lineage. If I was going to take that route, I think I'd rather just experiment with Sailfish.

The wretched state of modern technology. But what's the alternative to Android? Apple?

just get a phone in the android one programme

Apple has supported the iPhone 5s for 7 years.

Where’s the nexus 5 now?

I love Maki so much.

Steadily updated by the community through ROMs.

>dropped even by it's own company
Are Androidfags the biggest cucks?

>6.5 inch Full HD+
>Snapdragon 845
>RAM: 8GB ROM: 128GB
>back dual camera 12 + 5 Mpx
>front retractable camera 8 Mpx
>4000 mAh battery
>under screen fingerprint reader

Is your body ready?

Attached: vivo_nex_1.jpg (1920x2178, 549K)

>popout camera
Erection achieved.
>softkeys
Flaccid.

Are there any good phones with stockish Android, unlockable bootloader, AMOLED display and microSD card slot? I'm looking to upgrade from my Moto Z Play sometime this year, and other than the upcoming Moto Z3 Play I can't find anything.

>Phone uses USB-C Input to charge
>Power Bank uses Micro-USB input to charge

explain this

Attached: 1260499356882.jpg (437x464, 37K)

Is the carrot health app a good way to earn aeroplan miles? Any exploits to cheap/game the system?

why do people still buy used phones? it made sense like 4 years ago when you could buy fresh batteries to replace the one in your phone, but with irreplacable batteries you have no idea what the degradation is. You might as well just buy a new phone from last year or some shit.

>no company will ever make this in a compact form factor
I was hoping when companies figured out how to do nearly bezelless screens phones would shrink and the screens would stay the same size, but all they're doing is stretching the screens across the entire front of the phone.
I just want a cute chunky phone with a 4.7" screen and a great camera. Like the body of the nokia X but with the black area being all screen. I don't give a fuck if the phone needs to be thick to have good battery life.

inb4 handlet: I absolutely am a handlet and 4.5" to 4.7" is the sweet spot for me.

Attached: gsmarena_001.jpg (580x400, 39K)

Overpriced though

Buy a USB C power bank then

>want an all-screen phone
>too poor for iPhone X
>don't want OnePlus 6 cause I want to become a normie and want a Snapchat-friendly phone
>have to settle for iPhone 8+

Attached: image.png (205x246, 5K)

name four

my body is ready
but a 6.5 inch display is too big for me

I hope the GalaxyS10 looks like that

Attached: 1517078558844.jpg (700x464, 47K)

>pls spoonfeed me

Attached: a38.jpg (1024x962, 75K)

the 9999 yuane price is not real, no way a phone that cost 1400€ would ever be released in chinese market

>162 x 77 x 7.98 mm

Hueg like XBox
I really hope they would release the original apex

Attached: vivo-apex-fingerprint-bezel-03.jpg (1600x1067, 232K)

Could be an anniversary version or something. Or they'll drop the price at launch for better PR

>that chin
infuriating

Does >new(other) on ebay count as new? That's the one i got. A used one is $100 cheaper

Please refer from using an anime pic in the OP

It's a smartphone general after all

Attached: 1475203015396.jpg (591x591, 47K)

Coming from a Moto G 2015.

With a budget of 500 euros, what's the best upgrade I can make that will last me the next 4 years?

Prerequisites:
>headphone jack
>no notch
>no chinkware

Attached: miles.jpg (1200x1200, 260K)

the LG V30 can be found for around 500€

you're welcome

>LG
Don't want bootloop.

It's fixed now

Are there any good smartphones on the market? I can only see soulless shit without interesting design and features.

iphone x

I hate all these round corners and edges.

I just want to buy a brick for fuck's sake.

Attached: 1299360992662.jpg (216x377, 25K)

boring snapchat machine

get a job neet

Dropped my Note 8 walking from a convention and the screen is demolished

Because of the curved screen I couldn't have a glass screen protector on it and a case at the same time so I finally paid the price

Anything to look for when it comes to screen repair/replacement?

Attached: 20180608_165338.jpg (4032x3024, 3.17M)

should hve gotten a screen protector

Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus vs Moto G4 Plus?

Will blackberry keyone truly provide me ultimate business experience? I want to write in C, make powerpoint presentations and probably livestream my suicide next year on this thing.

no, and youtube it's dropping support to phones that don't come with google play services next month aka. redmi, xiaomi, oukitel

so you might check if the 4:4 shit machine it's getting killed too.

>unrootable
Nope, thank you.

Those meme neo-Blackberry ones

>If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

I know this will probably be too specific but I'm poor and the sudden loss of my oneplus X I need a new phone,

>Country is a shithole, but I can bring it from America
>GSM 850, UMTS B5 (850), LTE B4 (1700/2100 AWS 1)
>Under 300$
>This will probably limit my choices but I prefer 5,5" and under