I have to learn Python to perform data analysis, and I have (almost) zero previous knowledge of programming. Any advice?

I have to learn Python to perform data analysis, and I have (almost) zero previous knowledge of programming. Any advice?

Attached: py.jpg (600x300, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/jakevdp/PythonDataScienceHandbook
Jow
greenteapress.com/wp/think-python/)
python.swaroopch.com/)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What data/kind of data are you analyzing? Post an example if you can

It's stupid simple. Literally a single search online and you'll find a hundred usable get-started guides. I'm a maths grad student. Never wrote a single line of code in any language until graduate school and I became proficient in python over a long weekend. Granted, I couldn't do any kind of professional dev work with it, but data analysis scripting is dead easy.

Codecademy

From a Big Data approach. Extracting content from websites (Beautiful Soup) or OpenData sources. For now I only have to deliver MatPlotLib graphics, but I'll end using Spark and related stuff.

I also have to use Python, in like a month, for similar purposes.
I've found 2 books, "Python Crash Course" by Matthes Eric and O'Reilly "Learning Python"
I'm not so deep into it yet, but this seems like a very good combo.
Crash Course is good to get the basics fast, while Learning Python can go much more in depth

First thing to do is grab the data, so learn how to grab data and create some kind of representation of that data in Python (an object). Then you can plug that into your plots or run ML shit on it. If you have trouble grabbing the data then use the BeautifulSoup documentation and the Requests library documentation for how to do that. Then read about MatPlotLib after you have the data. Make sure to use Python 3.6 and use type hints unless you want to forget what your code means in a week. You don't need to spend time reading books if you start small and ramp up.

What are your thoughts on "Automating the boring stuff with Python"?

I saw it included in recommendation lists but haven't looked at it

Read this

>The book was written and tested with Python 3.5, though other Python versions (including Python 2.7) should work in nearly all cases.

>The book introduces the core libraries essential for working with data in Python: particularly IPython, NumPy, Pandas, Matplotlib, Scikit-Learn, and related packages. Familiarity with Python as a language is assumed; if you need a quick introduction to the language itself, see the free companion project, A Whirlwind Tour of Python: it's a fast-paced introduction to the Python language aimed at researchers and scientists.

github.com/jakevdp/PythonDataScienceHandbook

Read a book
Jow Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Programming_Textbook_Recommendations#Python

Don't sweat it, python was made for brainlets.

yeah, start earlier

Think Python (greenteapress.com/wp/think-python/)
> or
A Byte of Python (python.swaroopch.com/)
?

Need to pick one, also going to do something related with data and clinical research but no projects atm, need to get started with the language and programming meanwhile

The language is made for you. Just go for it. Write out pseudocode and there is your python program.

pandas. jupyter. matplotlib. Understand statistics. Learn how for loops work. Get used to documentation. Don't be a brainlet

Attached: altered_carbon.jpg (1920x1080, 2.56M)

I aprecciate your answers, guys. I am checking it right now.

Learn the basics through a site like codeacademy, then go on GitHub, download something written in Python, and edit it, make changes, remove or add stuff, to understand how it works, why it works, etc. Reading and simple"learn python" sites and telling you simple stuff like print(ā€¯hello world!") will only get you so far. You learn by doing.

Python is easy AF, you just need logic.

Attached: pythonawesome.png (700x698, 226K)

test

print('test')

I think you mean...

if user == fag:
print ("You are banned! ;_;")

else:
print ("Test")

pythonprogramming dot net, I think this is the best resource I've found.

Scrapy can help you if the sites are structured sanely.

I read all of Think Python How to Think Like a Computer Scientist and Learning Python then I did all the hackerrank tutorial problems

A library called Pandas is great for Py data analysis. It's got the concert of rows and columns, kinda like Excel.