Why do you guys suck off these big hefty thinkpads so much? Genuine question

Why do you guys suck off these big hefty thinkpads so much? Genuine question.

Attached: notebook-lenovo-thinkpad-t430s-review-raqwe.com-01_1024x1024.jpg (800x600, 38K)

being big and hefty isn't much of an issue and they're built really well and often used by corporations and various institutions so you can buy them off lease for pennies and have a laptop which will probably last longer and perform better than a new one in the same price range
also, since it's widely used by IT professionals it has this nerd cool factor

first this second Linux works better on them than it does on a lot of laptops
third the big-and-heavy is a good thing. I don't know about you but anything smaller than 15" feels very cramped, both in terms of the screen area and to type on.

Cheap and plentiful. Easy to take apart. Good specs and documentation.

How are these in anyway hefty? i hate to bring up the onions meme, but all i can think of is that pic of the guy posting on twitter saying "i had to ask the guys in the office to open my onions bottle for me" or whatever.

Thanks lads.
They're mostly an American thing though, right? Not seen many in united cuckdom.

I buy ThinkPads new at >$2000, because the IBM-backed warranty service is the best on the market.

Get a 5 year warranty with accidental damage protection
Next business day support.
NEVER have to talk to a customer support representative. Ever.
If you ever have a problem, go file a ticket in IBM Electronic Customer Care and they'll either mail a replacement part to you or they'll send a guy to repair your device right in front of you.

I've cost Lenovo over $3000 in warranty repair in these past 5 years

Linux Support, T420 and X220 are almost completely upgradable.

This means
>Better screens
>Unsoldered Ram
>Sockeye Processors

Socketed*
Sorry I'm phone posting.

>t420
>better screens
ecks dee

>I can't into reading comprehension

This means you can swap out the default panels you dip. T420 1600x900 IPS is 10x better than the default.

because using a trackpoint is basically exercise for your finger and it makes you finger girls better
i make my gf literally ahegao

The X220 CPU is soldered? If yes, Lenovo released any i7 X220 models?

yes
yes

>1600x900 IPS LVDS
great, care to post the display model

many of them in Poland, second most popular line among cs students/professionals after macs from my experience

Pretty sure they have models with UK keyboards and such, at least I know I've seen some with ISO keyboard layouts. Check Ebay.

Because it looks professional, last long and has good keyboard, even newer thinkpad are 100x times better than any laptop ever in my opinion.

Also I played with my t540p and I was careless a lot and did dumb thing to the MOBO and after 6 month this laptop still works, didn't see any red flags.

yes. yes but the i7 is thirsty and the i5 is perfectly capable

seen a few of them at talks at my university. issued laptops essentially.

they're around on ebay for a good price also

For 250$ max you get
I5
8gb ram
250ssd
1600x900 screen
T430 with a great keyboard and a trackpoint. Perfect for work and GNU/Linux

Also the build quality is the best

They are pretty popular in China too. Some even went as far to create a new motherboard with latest cpu for older thinkpads and varies other mods
>x62
>t70
>x210

This its really not bad price for that much.

I bought one JUST to learn how to use Linux flavors and Windows servers(in vm)

But it's not even heavy. I've got a t430 and it's of comparable weight to my 2016 mbp.

Many of them in Germany and Belgium. Especially the t420-t440 range.

Attached: austrian_pepe.jpg (1024x1024, 185K)

>fn key on the leftmost position
>F-keys are on fn instead of volume and shit
These things are a fucking usability nightmare.
I was about smash something a few days ago at work, when we had to troubleshoot a network connection and the only notebook we had was a thinkpad borrowed from another department.
I made so many fucking mistakes for fucking simple CLI tasks just because I hit fn instead of control and the F-keys weren't enabled by default like on any goddamn actually usable notebook.

Go into BIOS and swap Fn and Ctrl. Fuckin goyim man

Attached: yay.png (497x475, 387K)

Because its about as far from a Mac as you can get. Jow Forums will day it’s because they’re expandable or because they’re well built, but really Jow Forums just gets a kick out of people looking confused about why they’re still using a laptop from the 90s.

Consider that they’re probably using a terminal 90% of the time, people think they’re hackers which makes them seem smart and a little bit scary even though they’re just comparing waifus on IRC.

Ultimately it’s because Jow Forums likes making a point of being an outcast because to be different must mean you’re smarter. Basically hipsters.

Stfu please. Go kill yourself

Attached: 44444.jpg (261x192, 13K)

@66294359
Impressive bait. Well done.

>i had to ask the guys in the office to open my onions bottle for me
lol, they're really common in the UK - ebay has tonnes of spare ones floating around.
The NHS uses a tonne of them as patient "relational" tools as well, so you can commonly find them bound to trays.

UK here, I see more of them than I do any other business laptop. They're widespread as hell in tech.

old meme
other than the shitty gaymer ones, there isn't a laptop on the market that can't competently run linux,

the i7 is like 0.000021% faster than the i5

- hunt for a used t440p (around 130 bucks with 4 gb ram and 320gb hdd)
- replace cpu with i7-4800mb (used, around 100 bucks)
- add an 8 gb ddr3 stick (around 55 bucks)
- add a 120gb ssd (around 50 bucks)
- find a 130+ W PSU (around 40 bucks)
For 375 bucks you have a reliable, superfast workstation with a 1600*900 screen (or 1080p if you're very lucky)

they're popular everywhere among it people.

Charge thresholds.

I use one as my main PC and it's still at ~94% battery capacity after 2+ years of everyday usage.

Post battery cycles.

Essentially the same as most responses here: Can be had cheap on the second hand market, made to last and age well, and still maintain most ports unlike the Donglebook. Also that delicious nipple mouse.

Main thing to watch out for is that the dreaded 1336x768 TN screen

Here you go.
I use it as a PC most of the time, so it's plugged in on ~50%. For comparison, my partner got a laptop at the same time and used it plugged on 100% all the time. It barely holds 40 minutes now.

Attached: Capture.png (831x472, 26K)

reliable, well built, probably the best keyboard, ports for every situation, good battery life, will last you at least 10 years, waterproof, dropproof, roll cage inside, all sorts of acesories that you usually won't find on a regular laptop (flashlight, backit, fingerprint reader, antiglare screen, red clitoris, docking port, fully roational ...)

It's a laptop built for work and work only - and most of people who do some IT or STEM use it - usually in combination with linux. It takes the desktop experience and makes it portable

studying right now in my uni library in Serbia, 30% of laptops are Thinkpads

Attached: 18rbuco7br72ajpg.jpg (800x736, 66K)

>ctrl key to the left of fn
how do people do this?

>big hefty
It's almost like you're some ultrabook cuck
They're normally sized compared to normal laptops and considerably thinner than gaymen laptops

I can usually pull 7 hours out of my T450 without the extended battery - and that is charging my phone(i have to always have my phone on tether because the library wi-fi has broken certificates for linux so i can't connect), 30% brightness and doing some programming of some sorts while listening to music in the library
Can go over 17 hours if I read pdf's while disconected from the web .I think I could probably go well above 10 hours of normal usage and 25 of no-internet if I got extended battery.
Threshold
89% on internal battery
83% on extarnal
(pic related - notice the uptime and battery charge, took this photo yesterday)

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-06-08 19-05-31.png (1365x767, 153K)

>hurr durr can't get used to more optimized keyboard layout
fbrainlet detected

That seems pretty average for a regular laptop from any brand.
My Acer has 350 cycles and it's at 93% Health after 2 years, I'm more worried about the hinge breaking eventually first rather than the battery wearing out.
Most modern laptops with internal Lithium-Polymer type batteries will do 500-1000 easy before it goes under 80% health.

I'm assuming you have a 6 cell and a 9 cell? Regardless, those are insanely good runtimes. Any optimizations you're using on Arch?

The point is not in the number of cycles, but in rapid degradation under high temperatures and 100% charge that I witnessed more than once.

Basically, if it wasn't for the threshold, my battery might have been nearly dead already.

it's actually two 6 cell batteries - still don't have the extended battery. I mostly use well optimized TLP and avoid using bloated software as much as I can so I could keep all four CPUs below 5% usage at most times. For example if i'm reading pdf's and listening music I use mupdf and mpsyt - for youtube instead of firefox and adobe.

It's usually 7 - 8 hours at max, it really depends what I am doing. Sometimes I pull as low as 5 hours but sometimes as high as 8. Right now I am at 100% + 73% (~87% battery ) and 45min usage. Listening to music, charging phone and on firefox, if my calculatons are right I could pull some 6 hours

Since when was 3 or 4 pounds big and hefty?
Guess with all the s o y you drink it must be tough to lift anything other than a half pound thin as paper powerless macbook
Also figure the trackpoint went out of style cause your fingers are too weak for anyrhing other than a flat bit of plastic to rub like jamals dick

>1366x768 on 14inch laptop

disgusting

They're surprisingly well balanced with the extended battery. Makes it easy to grip and move with.

Jow Forumsizen here, I agree that these laptops are not heavy but when you are moving around a lot also buying groceries, when you come home back it really helps laptop being lighter.

When I use my x220 around instead of t540p, it feels really comfy. In the future I will use lighter thinkpad or macbook to be comfy.

The toughest pill for Jow Forums to swallow

My T430s is pretty light, and 14" is a normal size for a laptop desu

I use it because it is nice to type on it, cheap and durable.
I can run ubuntu on it because I like linux, I don't want to use windows for many reasons and mac is overpriced for me.
It is easier to buy t540p for 400 euro instead of macbook for 1000> euros.

Also hating on people using thinkpad and stereotyping them for people who compare waifus reeks of neo/g/.

My T430s has F-keys on by default. I have 2 laptops, the T430s, and a Y700 which has the Fn and ctrl keys swapped. I've gotten used to switching between the two layouts. It only took a couple days to get used to it.

pic related

Attached: 9b9b3e8b43bc1e9ac766a27f14d0af59.jpg (1200x1370, 151K)

Got one for cheap since firms are offloading a lot of them. Also good support on Linux