So i want to read web novels with some e-ink device:

so i want to read web novels with some e-ink device:

I'll hotspot with my phone so no sim needed

What do you suggest?

Attached: file.png (800x569, 510K)

Other urls found in this thread:

henoujikun.wordpress.com/what-came-to-mind-during-my-third-time-in-another-world-was-to-for-now-get-naked-chapters/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

also, redpill me into e-ink readers

botnet. stay away.

all of them?

My sony prs 505 isn't.

Attached: PRS-505_IMG_0579.jpg (2550x3047, 1.21M)

why would you read web novels

escapism

can't you just read actual books

books use space that i can't afford to waste in my edc work bag

Not sure what a "web novel" is, but for plain old mobis you can transfer them to a Kindle via USB and never connect it to the Internet. Very comfy and non-botnet.

Then put them on your phone.

The Kindle Paperwhite or any back lit e-ink device is the way to go. Just never connect to the internet and you're set. I've had e-inks before the Paperwhite and can't ever imagine going back. It's a nice size for an edc bag and great fit for the palm of your hand

i have a kobo glo hd with 16GB, i have plenty of space. it can handle pdfs (it's slow but it works) and now is cheap

Kobos are good and have a decent hacking scene to support different formats and shit. There is no RSS reader but you can read (((Pocket))) articles
Kindles are botnet but have a pretty big hacking scene. The Kindle kernel implements virtual terminals so you can run Debian on it in addition to everything Kobos offer.
Nooks are trash, stay far away.
Other e-readers are irrelevant but I'm fond of old Sony models

>Unconnected device with no means to phonehome at all is botnet
>Device with compute power of a toaster
Brainlet.

I suggest just reading it on your phone, you autist. I read on my phone so the time and it's fine.

Attached: its_heresy_then.gif (320x256, 3.25M)

You've never read a book in your life if you think a phone is good for reading you fucking piece of shit

Kobo or Kindle for manga?

Not him, but while eink is obviously best, it's really not too bad on an oled with white text on black background.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-10-02-22-19.png (720x1280, 287K)

Aren't they too small for reading ?
The 6 inch screen is what is keeping me away from actually going for a ereader.

not using wifi on the device, ever, and just run everything through Calibre

disgusting

If your eyes are ok you'll be fine. I wear glasses and it's good enough for me

Is kindle and kobo it? Or is there a xiaomi thing yet?

Is there an easy way to scrape entire wordpress blogs for reading on an ereader?

this

i have a tablet it's giving cancer to my eyes

>reading blogs

Idk if there's some tool for it (best bet would probably be some calibre plugin), but you could easily throw something together with Python + Selenium.

henoujikun.wordpress.com/what-came-to-mind-during-my-third-time-in-another-world-was-to-for-now-get-naked-chapters/

Stuff like translated japanese novels are on wordpress sites

To me it just seems small as fuck and blowing twice as much money on extra 2inches seems to be a waste. To bad there aren't and moderately process 8inch devices out there.

I got used to the size pretty quickly, and the font size is adjustable.

My fear is that since I live in a shithole it's going to be a pain to return the 6inches if I end up disliking it. But I might just as well go for it.
Thanks user

>My fear is that since I live in a shithole it's going to be a pain to return the 6inches if I end up disliking it. But I might just as well go for it.

Attached: naughty.jpg (603x624, 69K)

Kobo is pretty nice, it's fairly cheap because it has all the more important features with no frilly crap, and it's dead easy to read pirated stuff, you just drag and drop your files into it like it was a USB drive. Just disable wifi and reading tracking, and you don't need to even bother flashing it or anything.

>I'll hotspot with my phone so no sim needed
what

The only point in using one online is to BUY books, why the hell would you do that?

>The only point in using one online is to BUY books, why the hell would you do that?
This.
Considering how fucking expensive ebooks are you have to be a fucking retard to buy it. But then again there are retards who actually buy or rent music.

God forbid you own products legally. Why even buy an ereader when you can steal it in store.

>defending paying more money for less product

Attached: ea2976ccc689ff16401d735842841a9b--goodies-wedding-pictures.jpg (468x600, 47K)

What should I go for to read manga and PDFs like electrician's manual in addition to normal books? Is the Paperwhite still good enough?
I saw the Paperwhite in-store yesterday and what bothers me is that it has a huge useless bottom area.

I'm not against it, but paying more than a couple bucks for an ebook is retarded, let alone 10$ like it's becoming common to see.

I've got a kindle paperwhite. Didn't register it, turned WiFi off and copy my own books on it, so no botnet. It's perfect for my daily train commute, I don't think I'll ever go back to paper books

>red pill me
Hang yourself

t. Pseudo homosexual hipster

What app are you using man ? All the ones on the store are give me cancer with ads or lock essential features behind paywall

PDF support is tricky because too many factors can fuck up the rendering. Screen size, firmware, etc. It's possible that modded firmware allows you to play with it a bit, but that's a guess. I suggest checking Mobileread and Mobilism forums for first-hand account of which supports PDF the best. Oh yeah, some PDFs can have DRM so a modded firmware might be necessary for those.

You can rationalize it all you want, but you aren't just paying for the medium and mechanism of delivery. You are stealing a lot more than just a file. You are also paying for the editing, publishing and everything else it took to get the ebook from the author's text editor to be available for purchase on Amazon. They aren't just uploading a word document here.

Attached: 325252452.jpg (600x443, 36K)

He's probably using FBReader.
What if I convert the PDF to mobi or something like that with Calibre?

Attached: c951f75d38ea7a3d631eeed3cab6cf92--music-quotes-dark-art.jpg (424x369, 21K)

>defending copyright with the picture of a commie

I'd say the size is an advantage if you are hauling it everywhere. If it's only for your house then I'd pull for a larger item. The only downside for the size is when working with PDF files, as the print is smaller to read than normal. I think the font size I use makes a 500 page book an extra 150 or so. It's comfy af though and the size is great for travel.

>You are also paying for the editing, publishing and everything else it took to get the ebook from the author's text editor to be available for purchase on Amazon

except that isn't true, and this is well exemplified when a digital file costs more than the physical copy of the product.

Are there any decent Android based readers?

>What if I convert the PDF to mobi or something like that with Calibre?
Oh yeah, good thing you asked. The more popular formats (EPUB, AZW*, MOBI) can be converted pretty much 1:1 between each other. To or from FB2 format creates some flaws but it's still readable as far as my experience goes, and the format is rather rare anyway.

The big problem is PDF, because it's the only popular format with fixed-layout, since, well, that's what it was invented for, actually. So converting the other formats to PDF should be fine, since it's essentially the same as rendering the book one page at a time, screencapping it and putting all caps together. But converting PDF to these other formats is like a plane crashing into a trainwreck. I have yet to make a single decent non-fixed-layout file out of a PDF. Even a simple, selectable-text-only PDF gives birth to a monstrosity. If it has a mix of text and images then, forget it. The only hope is if the PDF is nothing but big image files, like the usual Chinese cartoon -- and this is my theory, mind you, I haven't tried it. Then maybe you can convert that to a non-fixed-layout e-book format after some fiddling with page size, portrait-or-landscape, image re-sizing etc. when converting, and like I mentioned before, when reading too, depending on the device. Those other formats can render images just fine, so like I said, it's theoretically possible to make a readable mango that's just one EPUB stuffed with big-ass PNGs. I gave up on conversion from PDF over a year ago, maybe someone saved the day by now.

You can experiment with conversion using Calibre right now, it can do pretty much anything to e-books. Also Mobilism and Mobileread might have some guide or advice for converting PDFs. So might /a/ and /co/, now that I think about it. /co/ has a big piracy thread on wednesdays, it's the perfect place to ask.

One last thing: the first decent colored e-ink devices might FINALLY be released this year. "CLEARink" is the name.

EBookDroid. No ads, not dependent on Google Play Services for anything

Attached: comfy.jpg (945x1417, 1023K)

I didn't mean an Android app, I meant an E-ink reader with Android as the OS.

oh, yodaphone? Didn't know such a thing existed

PDFs are better handled by a tablet user. Don't even bother.

why would you need internet on a fucking e reader

i don't know yet but do they read djvu files? on my shitty tablet i use djvu files and it flies compared to the same file but pdf

Very good reply, thank you.
I know, but it's the fact that I need to charge it more often that annoys me. Also, I get easily distracted if reading on my phone or computer, so that's why I was looking for an e-reader.

>web novels
Im guessing op is into fanfiction of some sort and doesn't want to have to save them locally then manually add them to his device. Or wants to be able to download books on the go with only one device.

There are non-fanfic web novels - Worm, A Practical Guide to Evil, etc.

God forbid you do not let someone else dictate what is good and bad and decide for yourself,WE NEED LAWS!!!!!

Lithium.

Are you retarded? Most of the money never reaches the creator of anything if the sort.

buy book on amazon, rip to pc with calibre, refund

Man, I know it's Jow Forums but how stupid can you be.

> botnet eReader
> implying the government or anyone else on earth gives a flying fuck about your novel preferences

This. You can literally just turn off WiFi if you're truly that concerned. It's not like a fucking e-reader has any other radios.

Sorry for the late reply, it's easy to get lost amidst thousands of tabs.

Huh, I just tried to convert an EPUB to DJVU on Calibre to try it out, and surprisingly it can't convert to that format. I never had noticed. So I used an online converter and the result was flawless, SumatraPDF opened the DJVU perfectly, just like it would a PDF. So I checked Wikipedo and, sure enough, DJVU is fixed-layout too. Calibre's reader could open the DJVU but its shit got fucked up, which makes sense because it's designed for non-fixed-layout formats and can't properly read PDF either.

So I converted to and fro a bit, and DJVU works out just like PDF: non-fixed-layout formats make good fixed layout books, but the reverse creates monsters. Also each category plays nice amongst itself, so far.

Just one problem here, but with Calibre. Altho it can't convert to DJVU, it can convert from it, but the results are awful. Those internet converters, however, can go PDF to DJVU to PDF again flawlessly. So Calibre lacks proper DJVU support I guess. It's the first time that application has let me down.

Attached: b77.jpg (788x656, 22K)

Sorry for late reply user
Kcc- kindle comic converter it have manga mode so you will get same rich feeling as manga but not actual manga

I spend good time with kindle but PDF sucks on it if you convert any .PDF to .mobi idk it lost images and tables so don't even think about magazine

A panjeet made an app called calibri check that out you will find peace in your life

maybe its just the file I last used but the latest Paperwhite update seemed to speed pdfs up a bit

When will the chongs make me a damn epaper monitor.
It doesn't even need to be that big or have color...
I don't even need fast refresh rates.
I just need a low energy, high contrast, no glare, and static image capability.

I just want to blowup images of technical schematics, command line administering, programming, and internal engine diagrams.

>Kcc- kindle comic converter it have manga mode so you will get same rich feeling as manga but not actual manga
Oh hey, that seems to do exactly what i mentioned in , making an EPUB out of a bunch of image files. Thanks user.

Attached: pikachu_learned_leer_by_bongwater_bandit-db3g5g6.jpg (1211x1190, 477K)

buy a kobo and run koreader unless you wanna your copies of 1984 to be deleted remotely by McAmazonMart HyperCorp™

kobo

use .mobi

I tried to, it gives similar results to converting PDF to EPUB. It's the whole fixed to non-fixed layout problem.

yeah if the text isn't too bad you can sometimes keep the pdf as native, not sure about djvu

Publisher still detected. It is fucking criminal to charge more for a digital book than a physical one. The cost of physical books takes into account a myriad of factors that just don’t apply to ebooks.