/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: yande.re 402940 bikini cleavage endcard gamers! headphones hoshinomori_chiaki ninomotonino swimsuits (1920x1080, 495K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Signstek-Coaxial-Converter-Convert-Analogue/dp/B00FEDHHKE/
youtube.com/watch?v=hiNdTUxGYCo
stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-ragnarok-integrated-amplifier
head-case.org/forums/topic/12921-schiit-jotunheim/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6lnyd8/ama_request_nick_t_from_schiit_tech_support/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: dsc.png (834x623, 838K)

>That curve
>That brushed aluminium

Attached: magni-3-front-1920.jpg (1920x1343, 97K)

Economic Stax models or even just disposable IEMs.

any info on the price?

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?
Good performance for the price and looks pretty on top of it.

Attached: 1518064889723.png (1280x720, 760K)

with any luck, stax before the month ends

an user leaked all the info about the d50 a few threads ago:

>says no analog imputs
>pic shows analog inputs
i'm not sure if i should trust his info

he says in a later post he meant to write no analog xlr

Doesn't look like it can dissipate 30 W.

it's 35W

Doesn't look like it can dissipate 35 W.

i hope there's a launch sale or something,
my limit is $999 for price + shipping, over that i'll have to deal with customs myself

I don't really understand why anyone is buying $100+ DACs when every ABX test has shown that nobody can tell the difference between ultra-cheap and ultra-high-end models.

If the "DAC" you're buying is actually also an amplifier, or it's a receiver passing through 4K HDM2 signals, OK- I get that those might cost a bit more. But the schitt modi 2 is $100 and it's literally just USB in, line-level L+R RCA out.

Genuine question to owners of these things: How do you justify buying it when you objectively can't tell the difference compared to something like pic related (or just mobo audio, assuming it doesn't audibly hiss)?

Attached: optimal_dac.png (425x259, 78K)

anons were speculating $1300 or $1500 so the MSRP was a surprise but yea I would like it to be slightly lower too

Need a dac for the HD600's. They will be used exclusively on PC. $300 budget or so.

Worth noting that I have like 3 monitors + home theater deck (9.2), so the audio is a mess. Is it possible that a dac can control system sounds (when selected) as well?
send help Jow Forums ahhh

Attached: RelaxedNene.jpg (1280x720, 349K)

modi is overpriced too, topping D10 performs better and it has a spdif output

micca origen G2

So... $90 to have an analogue lineout and spdif out? This $25 box does the same thing: amazon.com/Signstek-Coaxial-Converter-Convert-Analogue/dp/B00FEDHHKE/

And that's just the first result, I think I see even cheaper ones. Or are you paying for the "32bit 384kHz" which you literally cannot possibly physically biologically hear and can only check with an oscilloscope? Or for the little LED indicator showing its current operating format, information which is completely useless to you in every imaginable way?

I don't normally call people out on buying overpriced things, but this seems to be genuine straight-up money burning?

Is Fulla 2 a good pairing with this? Or E10K. Btw HF had a big argument over Amir and his measurements of Schiit products. Schiilling at its beset.

I want to lick her feet...

NFB-11.28
youtube.com/watch?v=hiNdTUxGYCo

>HF had a big argument over Amir and his measurements of Schiit products
so a guy sponsored by schiit is defending schiit's honor, i'm pretty sure he's not bias in the slightest
>Is Fulla 2 a good pairing with this?
D10 is better

any DAC is fine as long as is audibly transparent, that's the case for the D10, i'm not aware if any cheaper DAC has been measured to be transparent

>100% avoid hiss + ground loop issues
>multiple inputs (consoles etc)
>variable/pre out controls for powered monitors
>higher end dacs can sound different (deliberately so) due to dsp, filtering, etc. feeds into audiophool nervosa. some people may even prefer the modified sound
>jewelery

I see it has three outputs, (coax, usb, opt) would I really only need the USB? My pc will be hooked up to a denon 9.2 atmos deck. So confusing, I feel like I'm doing all of this wrong.

also, what's the difference between this little guy?

Attached: wtfNene.jpg (1200x675, 58K)

Google something like "dac abx test"
Nobody can distinguish $30 equipment from $3000
How was this measuring done? Did it involve an actual human being listening with their ears, correctly identifying inferior competing models as non-transparent, and identifying the D10 as transparent? Or did it involve oscilloscopes and charts?

>hiss
My mobo doesn't hiss. My £9 "usb sound card" I bought for my hackintosh doesn't hiss. If your existing outputs do hiss then fair enough, but holy shit how crappy is your equipment? And why are you so obsessed with expensive audio tech yet you buy the cheapest shittiest computer/motherboard with hissy audio out?
>ground loop
I assume you're referring to toslink here. You don't need a $90 box to get toslink out. Your $90 box is not actually converting anything to analog if you're using toslink. Your mobo probably has it already, and if not just search amazon for "usb toslink". It's a digital signal, so they'll all perform the same if they work at all.
>[various advanced features]
D10 doesn't do any of that, it's just USB in and RCA+SPDIF out. For $90.

schiit isn't just a sponsor, they're the main sponsor
>another outspoken measurements focused scientist being outcast from headfi
nwavguy 2

fuck schiit, horrid company

Reminder about indo user:
>I thought I told you guys that this amir character is pretty damn shady.

Add him to the list of anti-amir people on /hpg/

Attached: d4a28d6d25301dc19873b5b0db4ac9fc89ae3be15333514f5ecda5294f2cc237-v.png (673x851, 406K)

indo user has always bought into the snake oil story anyways, his main contribution has always just been pictures. I didn't find any of his descriptions matched my own experience with the shit he talked about.

i don't disagree that placebo and confirmation bias is a thing, but $5 dacs don't work for everyone. different strokes for different folks.

Is it normal for my magni 2 to become so hot it is painful to touch, as well as heating up the ambient temperature of my room by like 10 degrees?

>amir got a technical emmy for his work at microsoft
me on the right

Attached: emmy.png (1018x767, 1.73M)

welcome to the world of schiit

I want to fugg amir

based amir

I feel like I got memed on hard. This setup doesn't sound any better than my motherboard and it way too loud, even at the lowest volume and with hard to drive t50rp headphones. I often have to set the volume so low the amp cuts out the right audio channel. Is that normal?

Amir is a joke, is full of shit, and got banned for that reason.

I think you might actually have a lemon. Thats what you get for buying Schiit

you don't have the balls to say that with a picture of your setup attached. you've got little tiny balls, microscopically small

Attached: 1477793599016.jpg (1280x1440, 339K)

(me)

This is definitely a top contender on my list, it just seem so futureproof to me, being that it can push out 600.

Would love some advice on the deck to PC side though. Deck: (Denon X4300H)

Now, how would I plug this in? mb to deck? or should I get sound card?

Attached: OuchNene.png (1280x720, 493K)

I'm a woman.
And Amir is a hack.

Dang. I've been putting up with this shit for a year so I can't return it. Would I have been better off with an O2 + ODAC?

>I'm a woman.
deflection. my point still stands, no balls. post setups to prove otherwise

amirs my boye, get em dude

I don't need to. Amir has already been proven wrong. His measurements are poorly made and he's an asshole. He's already banned everywhere so he can't pull his shit anymore. It's over.

post your yggy

me

Attached: rt41_1.jpg (800x600, 58K)

>yggy
??!?

Can't you just plug it via HDMI from your graphics card?

Attached: 6_EL_avrx4300h_e3_bk_re.jpg (1280x1024, 269K)

Attached: headfi schiit cult.png (1846x1479, 355K)

based amir

Attached: schy3.png (852x531, 74K)

>I'm a woman.
Mentally ill transLARPers aren't women.

you're in low gain? otherwise try lowering your windows volume to give you more headroom. the excessive heat is normal for schiit products though.

who da fuck wants to use this millenial onions boy piece of tech garbage poisoning your head with nigger music in your fucking head? this thread is big time cancer just kill yourselves.

Attached: 043gang-sign.jpg (525x701, 205K)

stereophile.com/content/schiit-audio-ragnarok-integrated-amplifier

anybody been around long enough to remember the ragnarok stereophile review that was essentially the same thing? awful measurements then lies and a huge coverup. fuck schiit.

Oh, then I'll get audio and video to my tv.. mhm ok, I'll think about that when I buy everything.

Just worried that my gtx 1080 can handle:
3440 x 1440
2560 x 1080 (x2)
4k LG C7

Thanks for the help so far, difficult to find these answers without being spammed by affiliate links.

Attached: NenePlush.jpg (700x700, 98K)

remember this?

>ower switch as all the other switches are cheap parts, and the power switch failed shorting one side to ground blowing the house circuit breakers. also for places where the thing is wired for 220v, only one side of the mains is switched. fake on left, real thing on right

>other side of the switch is used to dump the output relays on turnoff, and there is no protection circuit from dc, just a 1 minute delay timer

>even the magni 2 uber is better than this piece of shit. at least its a balanced vas stage.

fuck schiit

Yup, low gain. I specifically bought an amp so I'd have a nob instead of fucking around with windows volume since songs vary in loudness quite a lot. And I thought reducing volume digitally was bad for sound quality. I've tried it myself but I can't tell if it's placebo or not.

reminder that there is no such thing as dangerous information, only a lack of information. a bad measurement is still useful as a reference point to understanding the bigger picture. anyone who warns about amir being misleading or spreading dangerous information is a shill who is too afraid of reality. jude had all the opportunities in the world to measure stuff but only does so now in defense of schiit.

the phrase "dangerous information" is a codeword for "I don't want you to know this"

looking for wireless headphones (e.g. airpods). Are there any that have a decent lifetime (8 hours), features like noise cancellation / amplification, and decent quality sound?

Thread reminder to never buy Schiit products.

audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/budget-dac-review-schiit-modi-2-99.1649/
audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/hardware-teardown-of-schiit-modi-2-usb-dac.2082/

>solder splatter
>caps on output
>Either they don't measure their DACs, don't care or don't know how to design a clean DAC.
>For me the biggest letdown with all of this is the major disservice Schiit and others are doing to the community. They are toting these frankly "shit" amps as power houses

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6wdcig/bad_experience_with_schiit_audio/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/6lnyd8/ama_request_nick_t_from_schiit_tech_support/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bwko4/schiit_refusing_to_replace_the_misconfigured/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7b33wc/schiit_fulla_2_problems_about_blew_out_my_eardrums/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/71wtot/schiit_cs_has_left_me_between_a_rock_and_a_hard/

magni 3 is good though I promise just trust me hehe :)

all the windows audio processing is done in 32bit now, shouldn't be as big a deal. you could look into an amp with a digital attenuator which won't have channel imbalance issues at lower volumes (mayflower arc, arcam rhead). o2 may also be fine for t50's, not sure.

>66 replies
>ctrl+f stax
>only 2 results
What is this magic thread

Attached: DXrFJgKWkAAk5Ik.jpg (966x1199, 156K)

the start of the thread is people discussing stax and the stax d50

everyone bought stax and is patiently waiting for the next fotm

the next fotm is more stax

Would this be okay on a gtx1080 to handle? I'll be gaming on the 3440x 1440 and using the other 2560 x 1080 for basic things. 4k tv will be for crunchy roll and lazy me while on couch.

Schiit are successful, and success attracts a lot of envious haters. Antisocial fucks that will make up slander and post it into forums.
This should be no surprise to anyone, and how these assholes get banned left and right shouldn't either.

So which schiit product do you have?

>Or did it involve oscilloscopes and charts?
It's the only objective way of measurements. Listening tests are meaningless when we can easily compare measurements.

what are the chances of this going on massdrop?
i know they've drop stax in the past

fuck the stax meme -_-

Are high end IEMs worth it when you are only using them for commute and there are shit ton of noise all around you?

no. IEMs above $15 not worth it. Also it will fuck with your ears, trust me, pressure differential will make ear drum tense specially if you use them one ear only for a few hours a day. Not to mention they tend to die easily.

>he doesn't own stax
kek

Daily reminder: this perfect all rounder exists.

Attached: 1527597983581.jpg (1024x700, 73K)

you don't even own it though

Reminder to spend your hard earned dollars on speakers not headphone gear

Attached: IMG_2541.jpg (4032x2182, 1.51M)

you can't say anything bad about it, nobody can
i'm waiting so somebody would.

But I can (it's not as good as stax)
I mean for $500 it's still a decent alternative for people who live in places they can't get stax for cheap

Attached: IMG_20180531_084406891_LL.jpg (4000x3000, 2.91M)

11 GHz

Attached: DSC03618.jpg (5184x3888, 866K)

Attached: 20180524_220019.jpg (4032x3024, 314K)

why cant chinks start dumping electrostats into the market to lower stax prices

stax is own by chinks

i thought stax were owned by the nips

Japs are smell worse and suck americaunt cock. China no 1

Reminder is buy blu tack with your stax. You are gonna wanna mod them. And after that you sell that gabo and buy HD800s

Attached: bul.png (1041x1500, 1.19M)

Attached: 20180524_144710.jpg (3024x4032, 627K)

blame spritzer et al. for not making cheap diy amp designs despite them bragging they could make one for dirt cheap if they want to

stax is owned by edifier
edifier is ownrd by chinks

Senheiiser 6XX arrive this week - I have no DAC/AMP

From what I read the O2 Objective/ODAC combo is a great buy - but that's ~£280

Massdrop has the NuForce UDAC up for $60, would that suffice?

is there any good chink amp on aliexpress?

gustard h20

Swear to God U Morons can't pick up how Good balanced is....

Attached: 20180525_204345.jpg (4032x3024, 404K)

>can't pick up how Good balanced is....
because it's inaudible.