Why even use windows or Mac?

Why even use windows or Mac?
Every Linux distro has very low minimum requirements. My debian laptop barely goes over 1 GB of ram during daily use (web browsing, videos, music streaming, word processing, school work, etc) and has great battery life.
So really why do people waste their money on proprietary software?

Attached: image.jpg (392x457, 139K)

Video games
Drivers
Photoshop

>1GB RAM
>for a shitty MS-DOS clone

Linux has games

Super-tux isn't fun after the first playthrough

/thread

Video editing
Music production

Most normalfags can't install an OS, any OS, so they use whatever OS comes with their pre-built PC.

>Why even use windows or Mac?
Stop asking stupid questions

git gud

I've been using Ubuntu since 8.04 and this is how it goes. I update every Tuesday like a normal person and as time goes on things start breaking. First it's the generic "system error reported".click the send error report button and 3 more pop up. Then comes the extra boot screen that flashes to show errors that you can't read. And as you keep updating it'll just break entirely and be unbootable. Now you gotta dedicate a whole day to rescuing data from a live distro finger banging the terminal. Same problem with mint. "Then Use Debian!" Well if the installer isn't completely broken and you can actually install it then it's only a matter of time before it becomes a huge cluster fuck of shitty package management and you are dependency chasing in hell's maze and honestly this goes with probably every other distro. So you're only real options here are arch and gentoo because of the level of control and flexibility and these two are so complex no one uses it except the most nerdiest of neckbeards. And since not everyone is a programming wizard IT ninja master doing SQL relationships and statistical analysis and are just wanting to consume or produce media why would anyone use Linux?

>Then Use Debian!" Well if the installer isn't completely broken
If this isn't pasta - what did you find difficult?

Usability.

Come back when the OS community gets their dicks out of their combined asses and starts making UIs that aren't nigger-tier.

At the time a couple years ago it was so broken it just never finished. It would get to installer bar and just get stuck at a certain percent give some obscure error saying it was corrupted or something and I checked the hash and used dd to copy it to a flash drive. So I tried elementary and it worked and installed but the touchpad didn't work. Debians come a long way and their latest release is pretty slick but I just feel like the whole os is still spaghetti underneath and if I try to install anything it'll just explode.

Some UIs are actually pretty nice. kde plasma isn't that bad and gnome is pretty decent. Some riced window managers look sick. Way more tweaking options in plasma then windows and apple combined desu. I just want shit to work without breaking and supporting my pro apps to would be nice too.

OS X is the only one that does power management correctly and supports both GPUs correctly on my MacBook Pro, so that's what I use. MacBook Pros have incredible battery life, and this one has a ton of memory and never crashes, so it works for me. Plus if I want to feel like a nerd I just hit alt+space and a terminal window pops out and then I can vim or whatever.

>look
I'm not talking about looks. The looks are fine.
What isn't fine is usability.
The only window managers worth using are the tiled ones, because they are properly built with hotkeys in mind.

Do you know any desktop environment where you actually have a hotkey for selecting something in the task bar?
In Windows I got Win+B for the area in the lower right, Win+[Number] to either start or select items from the task bar, Alt+tab allows me to select the desktop, F4/F6 allows me to go into the title bars of both the explorer and file selection dialogues, Win+X gives me a selection of useful system tools, etc.

I'm always infuriated when I want to paste a path into a file selection dialogue in Windows, only to find out that the developers (80% of the time Linux devs) used a non-standard dialogue that doesn't have this option.
Be my guest and break the standard. But if you do that, fucking provide the fucking functionality of the fucking thing that you fucking displaced.

Oh, and I guess the reason I got a MacBook Pro instead of a different laptop is because at the time the "retina" display was by far the best laptop display.

replied to wrong one

Who gives a fuck about the display

People who aren't blind

The display on my thinkpad is just fine

So is the display on mine, but it could be better

i use windows because I installed a smart fan curve in 5 seconds. I tried to do the same on linux and I had to actually learn the temperatures my PC got too and set accordingly using the terminal.

completely inefficient waste of time

>I use Windows because I'm too lazy to spend a little while configuring my system for years of use

because people use software, not operating systems. and the vast majority of software exists on Windows.
now why do people like you create shit threads?

exactly. I want to enjoy those years of use

So spend a few moments configuring a superior system instead of just being a lazy fuck and using Windows.

Tetris is always fun.

those few moments add up.

It's because they've been taught how to use certain proprietary software and they are unwilling to stop using it. It's just Wanglows and FagOS users being unable to adapt.

Certainly. They add up to several moments, which are definitely worth spending time on to use a superior OS for years to come.

You have the curse of knowledge. As another fulltime GNU/Linux user, I understand how you feel, but most people will feel the opposite, or not even know what an OS is or why they'd want to install a different one than what came with their computer.

the thing is, I can just rice windows to be the equivalent to linux. The only problem i've had with windows is with drivers

Surprisingly good post. I agree keyboard shortcuts are important. I used tons on Windows, and now I use i3wm. Basically lines up with all you said.

>the only thing Linux has over Windows is the UI
You're not ready for it anyway. Just continue using Windows like the dumbass you are.

everything that can be done on linux can be done on windows with the right programs. Prove me wrong.

Read a Btrfs filesystem.

>drivers
Linux has far better driver support than any proprietary OS.

Don't want to lose productivity.
Linnicks are for codemonkeys, virgin weebs or poor shitskins.