Project Galatea - An Open-Source Android

>What is this?
Project Galatea lays the foundation for an open-source & open-hardware humanoid robot with an emphasis on assistance and companionship. We are currently a very small group working on this out of passion and cautious optimism.

>Do you have anything to show so far?
Yes! Here is a pastebin of current developments and the roles that we need filled: pastebin.com/7HaGvLjN
Github : github.com/GalateaEngine
Emotion engine demo: galatea.localtunnel.me
Hardware development: imgur/a/BRc0Mev
Object recognition demo: imgur/a/uzSm8ql

>Why are you doing this?
We believe that developing an open standard will drive innovation, keep costs down, and ensure that androids will meet the needs of their users. Don’t you want to stake your claim? Humanoid robots are not solely reserved for the lonely and antisocial. A relatively cheap machine that can interact with its environment like we do opens endless possibilities: household chores, entertainment, security, high-risk occupations, and so much more.

Attached: 63f23c373a37aab7f7f7baa9f3b05b35466228ca.jpg (768x1024, 99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bd44baba.ngrok.io/
patreon.com/sweetiebot
hooktube.com/vjSohj-Iclc
youtube.com/watch?v=zkv-_LqTeQA
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Can I help?
Yes! We are currently looking for the following kinds of anons to look into fulfilling the open roles listed above:
- AI trainers, software testers, VR testers
- Programmer anons: python and machine learning, HTML+JS
- Electronics anons: Arduino, robotics, custom PCB manufacturing
- Engineering anons: materials science (especially rubbers and other materials for synthetic skin), basic mechanical concepts (traditional robotics design, possible soft robotics implementation)
- UX/UI designers
- Voice actor(s), audio/speech techs
- Anons with GPU time they can loan out
- Lawyer, ethicist

>Where do I start?
Talk about yourself in this thread. If you find yourself interested, post an email address and BluBoi will get in contact with you to bring you into the Slack group.

>What’s in it for me?
We’re not going to sugar-coat this. It is going to be a very long time before we estimate being able to produce something convincing. However, more hands make less work, and in the end you will have your very own android of open-source creation.

>You’re a stupid virgin. X isn’t possible. Just look at Y.
You lack patience and creativity, and you will find your time best used elsewhere. Please make your inevitable shitpost and be on your way.

Attached: cebd099532aece5d3d3f51fe42d6c9646a9f08de.jpg (600x633, 108K)

'projects' that have to ask for help on a fucking japanese anime imageboard full of uneducated 20 something year olds are all doomed to fail

prove me wrong
change my mind

Attached: spongebob balloon.jpg (300x400, 42K)

here is my shitpost 4 u

Most of the polls I've seen show that Jow Forums has a fair amount of programmers. I'm sure their autism could be put to good use.

Attached: a36a0226666fe62bff2e1b7129b9387eea3ed253.jpg (1398x1080, 178K)

This seems like a good project. I recently ordered a bunch of Arduino hardware and a few robotics kits. My 17 DOF Humanoid Kit never arrived however because the package was stolen.

I need a good project to practice my electronics and programming skills together with. This could be the one.

that's what every project started on Jow Forums thought.even tox failed
fuck off,

If you have time and effort to spare we'd really appreciate any help. No commitment or anything obviously, the plan is random contributes so no pressure.

Even if I don't get a single person from Jow Forums to help I've been working on this stuff for years and I'm not about to stop now. I'll be sure to drop in occasionally to post status updates, just to piss you off though.

I'll make the logo

I can draw anime tiddies.
Maybe I can attract waifufags to give you money.

I'm not sure what kind of GPU time you need but I have a system with a i7 4790 and a gtx 680 that idles and another system with a gtx950 that I am willing to serve out.

Also, I am pretty decent at prototyping boards and etching pcbs and I have alot of soldering experience, not sure if its any use but if yall need me I am here.

Concept art is also not a bad idea. I didn't think of that.

>Also, I am pretty decent at prototyping boards and etching pcbs and I have alot of soldering experience, not sure if its any use but if yall need me I am here.
This will definitely be needed. I'm not horrific at soldering, but I'm certainly not great. I'm also working o getting my own CNC router up for engraving and such, so the more contributing the better.

That's great, currently we are just using of the shelf stuff like arduinos and stuff, but we'll need to worry about power and efficiency at some point so being able to design/roll our own PCBs would be great.

Unrelated but i had seen a webm from an anime that looked like it was from the 90s. It had a cute redheaded girl with 2 metalic prosthetic arms that was fighting robots while pretty much wearing a shirt.
Anyone know its name?

May I ask what will be the central computer of it? I understand arduinos for controlling smaller functions, but someting thats gonna be the brains of it all will have to be alot more powerful.

Probably a full microATX PC or some embedded solution from intel or somthing. We are still debating cooling solutions.

Would something like a smaller powerful smartphone chip be useful? Low powe req. and doesn't need alot of cooling. If processing of data is handled externally then it doesn't need to be extremely powerful.

I was thinking one of those Intel NUCs or something similar. No experience with them though. Has anyone actually used one of those?

This thread is garbage and you should feel bad.

We plan to do a lot of the processing on board, we want to avoid the botnet as much as possible. There still might be merit in some of the newer snapdragon chips though, they are pretty good.

Really, really want to get GPU acceleration if possible. We can do quite a bit with the horsepower a single 1070 can afford.

We tried just making a waifu chatbot with /a/ in 2014 and it failed spectacularly.
Jow Forums sux at projects.

/software/user for galatea here.
the idea is probably dual NVidia Jetson boards and custom attiny based mini boards for motor control

I was thinking a newer snapdragon as well.

The level of solding required for making a custom OEM snapdragon carrier board is too high.
that's why i prefer to go with something more 'premade' like jetson.

I don't think you'd use a custom board for the snapdragon, there are tons of prefabs available.

>Emotion engine demo: galatea.localtunnel.me
404, senpai

>microATX PC
Honestly, you could probably get away with abuse of a board made for digital signage. Though, something in the more obscure parts of the itx family is near mandatory. From some experiments with mannequins, I can say your average mold for the female torso is a hair too small for a traditional PC shape...and that is while entirely hollow.

>We are still debating cooling solutions.
Well, A, you need to get a lot more done in the way of final form factors and space constraints before you have to worry about that. B, as long as you stay within the torso, you could definitely squeeze some sort of water-cooling in there if you tried hard enough, but a real thug manufactures a heat pipe and cooling fin array that matches the form of your project and lets it stick out like the beautiful creation it is.

I'm not inclined to programming and don't think I can help, nor do I think your project will take off. Know this. I want to believe. Maybe Landon Powell would be interested.

This. Jow Forums can't even make a proper web browser.

>I'm not inclined to programming and don't think I can help
Anyone can be a tester for software. You know, so long as we get that demo back up. And other stuff down the line.

I'd invest in WaifuOS.

bd44baba.ngrok.io/
Dunno why localtunnel is down.
Here it works

What's wrong with tox?

Can you, like, start with an android doggo? Not joking, legit interested.

Attached: me irl.jpg (700x1024, 100K)

Care to make this into a sub-project? It would actually be great for testing proof of concept software and make for good hardware practice.

[email protected]
I can do UX/UI and basically whatever else graphics-wise. I'm off for the summer and I'm looking for something to do, so add me if you want an Adobe guy.

Android is A Droid, a robot, w/ "An" for a prefix as in "Anthro" meaning it's humanoid. Candroid maybe?

A dog is more simple right? So totally can help this project.

doggodroid?

Attached: fuck.jpg (736x736, 53K)

This is interesting, I would very much like to see this AI become sophisticated. I'm afraid I am not skilled enough to contribute any programming to this project, but I would like to help any way that I can.

[email protected]

That's nice and all, but how about posting some actual results/status in here if you're already advertising it?

Just like in the real world no one wants to buy or engage with the cat still in the bag.

Attached: 5510823249_b42499970c_o.jpg (1920x1080, 331K)

this would be neat to get into AI and machine learning, but why slack for communication?

It's what professionals use.

cool fallacy, i'll be sure to take this project seriously

I am pretty familiar with HTML + JS and UI/UX design as I'm a webdev.
I'm actually pretty interested in this project so fuck it, shoot me an email.
[email protected]

/mlp/ here, you guys should talk to the guys at patreon.com/sweetiebot
Maybe there's some useful knowledge you can exchange with them.

why does the girl have air brakes on her legs

also i'd help if and only if it's licensed under GPLv3 so that nobody copies, put some subliminal "fuck you because you" bias and sell that thing for hundreds of thousands and make suicides slowly go up and have conservatives be scared of bots altogether

t. technophobe conservative

>AI trainers
What the fuck for?

Do I understand correctly that the current goal for the project is neither talking nor understanding natural language? Or are you hoping to just throw this together with the general AI and hope it will end up okayish?

I would much rather have robotic pets

Do you need a translators?

>Galatea
Are you making your waifu real?

>prove me wrong
Katawa Shoujo
Numerous raids
Numerous DDOS attacks
etc.

>Project Galatea - An Open-Source Android
AOSP already exists

Godspeed Jow Forums.

I hope you're baiting

Ponies aside that actually looks pretty cool, and could work very well with

I have moderate programming skills. I don't have Python experience but I was forced to do JS for a couple of years and got to learn all its horrors.

What I don't have is motivation. Hit me up at [email protected] and I'll get back to you never.

Also why the fuck Slack? I would genuinely be interested in contributing but I refuse to use a botnet platform. Can you guys get, if not an IRC server or Tox group, at least a Matrix channel?

>AI
>Python
project discarded

Right now what we have to show is the conversational engine and a bunch of mechanical desings.
We need people to validate and train the system
The idea is to make the wireframe of a bot design.
People who can speak other languages sure are cool to have in the team.
Sure, i proposed that name
We needed something to start working fast and since we can drop files in dlack directly it became useful.
nevertheless we are open to suggestions

As long as any part runs a REST based microservice is a good addition.
i have been considering using nodejs and go, because i have seen faster results than python.

> nevertheless we are open to suggestions
Even Tox can transfer files

I wasn't aware.

I already have a contact
thanks

why put a full pc into it with motherboard/power supply... why not just use a modified version of android?its much easier to put a high-end smartphone into a robot(and much more durable)and also it has longer battery life.and thanks to the big body of the android we could even use an active cooling system on the phone so it can be overclocked.not to mention the android apk already has libraries for machine learning/3d graphics/audio and stuff so we could just use java/kotlin and wouldnt need to write everything in c++.

lmao hell of a project you're spearheading here

also you can connect a bunch of power banks to the phone inside the android so battery life would be amazing and there would be no problem with heat either.also its much easier to pick apart the robot and reassemble when something is wrong.arm chips where literally made for embedded systems like an android.

kek'd

please dont tell me you fell for the write everything in c meme.always do the opposite of what Jow Forums says.

What happened to the completely from scratch web browser?
>can't even make
Have yo seen layout engine nowadays? They're to million loc. Making a web browser from scratch isn't an easy task.

Yeah those exist but what about all the other different Jow Forums projects which all just had A FUCKING LOGO.

>humanoid
y tho

It's far too needlessly complex for what you're setting out to do. Just keeping itself standing would eat up all processing power, nevermind actually walking.

Can you fuck it?

I don't belive a single android phone is capeable of handling everything
this is why im considering using nvidia jetson boards.
they use similar hardware but have an nvidia gpu inside, which is needed for most AI running on the bot.
Im prioritizing off the shelf components
aka. Everything should exist inside amazon.
Im using python for fast prototyping, but evertime i get something working i try to port it to another faster programing language
True, i know bipedal motion is going to be the hardest task.
that's why we are planning a chest up robot first.

They already are designing a onahole warmer and shit.
Im not into that part of devopment. Honestly

>We are still debating cooling solutions.
protip: just use the heat to warm the body

Other humanoid bots already exist and do more than stand. It's only a matter of time until they can do everything as fluidly as you do.

This has been placed far on a back burner. There are still many major hurdles to cross before getting to any sort of interactivity. The Coffee Test is a long way off, but it's feasible.

Indeed this was my idea

>Coffee test

Attached: e18.gif (400x225, 1.82M)

hooktube.com/vjSohj-Iclc
I know these have gone a long way but for some reason they still look so klunky to me. Someone should post the just the legs one. The one where they made it walk on ice or another showing it running if they have it I can't find the video this one actually looked pretty fluent and natural.

I don't really enjoy programming on my off hours, but I hope you find a few that do.

Attached: 1403376799428.jpg (1200x900, 258K)

Anything by Boston Dynamics serves a great inspiration. It reminds everyone that this technology exists and that it can be done. Major leaps in progress just take one breakthrough leading the pack. Follow-through and derivation simply follow suit.

By the way I have a 1070 that I use to shitpost and play nethack, so I'd be open to running shit on it

you should work on reebsd instead

Please don't try to make them look realistic, nobody wants a robot with the face of a cheap whore

Why do you hate fun?

>hurr let's gather volunteers to take on a project with Apollo-tier scope and complexity

This has actually been a point that has been brought up. We all agree that the current faces of humanoid bots and dolls look awful. So until the uncanny valley can be properly crossed, we may attempt to skirt around it by keeping faces intentionally unrealistic. That's still quite a ways away though, as we currently have no Disney imagineers on board to work on facial construction or animation.

>We all agree that the current faces of humanoid bots and dolls look awful

Attached: thinking.jpg (880x1325, 119K)

Why is that outcasts like weebs and bronies show actual technical skills and go through with projects? I've seen all kinds of highly technical shit being accomplished like an entire kernel (PonyOS or some shit) by bronies.

>always do the opposite of what Jow Forums says
And retards bitch against C and shill their shitty Python all the time. We know they are brainlets who can code, you just confirm it.

We've got no social life and infinite free time. Boredom does powerful things.

Are japanese faces the answer to uncanny valley?

We haven't got to much at the moment, but if you check the imgur links in the OP you can see what we are currently working on. There's no cat to buy at the moment though if that's what you're looking for, still putting it together.

We currently have 2 programmers working on things at the moment, one working on the conversation engine in python, the other object recognition and tracking in C++. There's no specific language we are requiring, merely whatever you are competent in using.

>VR testers

I'm confused, is this an actual robot or a virtual companion in VR? Or are you doing both simultaneously?

Testing the AI in a virtual environment is not a bad idea.

Simplifying it waaay down there's 2 separate pieces we are working on. The robotic body and the AI itself. Training the AI in regards to movement and interaction with the world would be cumbersome and imprecise to do in the real world, so we plan to start things of entirely in simulations. This is what most people designing robots do actually, specifically for tuning locomotion before trying in the real world with expensive hardware. VR will help us understand how things will actually look in the real world and help us fine tune things even more.

You are aware that with the current technology is impossible to make an android with the same physiology as us, right?

Just give the robot a mask
like a gas mask or welding mask or something.
As long as you dress it in cute clothes it'll be fine.

Obviously it wouldn't be identical under the skin. But there's some powerful servo's out there that let us maintain a full range of motion while still fitting it all into a slim human form. Check out the hardware imgur links in the OP for some of the current designs being worked on. (If you're having trouble working it out, add a .com after the imgur part.)

youtube.com/watch?v=zkv-_LqTeQA