20% of batteries sold are still ZnC and ZnCl

>20% of batteries sold are still ZnC and ZnCl

How do we stop this?

Attached: Rich, Poor, and (you).png (1640x800, 683K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Panasonic-Corporation-LR6PA-48PC-Alkaline/dp/B074C4PT72/
amazon.com/Panasonic-Batteries-Heavy-Duty-Pack/dp/B01KU1NBDQ/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

lmao I must have lost my mind, yesterday I turned my phone battery over to see if they still print "recharchable" before the word battery and then started thinking about if they make special one time use batteries for military or whatever and what the capacity of such a battery would be compared to "normal recharchables"

hhehaehheaheuaheuheuhe

Attached: 1507530377061.jpg (1060x1100, 445K)

to coin a phrase... "Why contain it?"

by producing a high draw rechargeable cell. alkaline are still best for things like flashlights

Attached: 4FCD7032-B3BD-4CB8-BBAB-80D0E8F712B2.jpg (460x288, 46K)

Eneloop Pros are all I use. You lose some overall life in the way of less cycles but the overall storage capacity is worth it.

>high draw

Wut? Alkaline and Zinc batteries SUCK at high current applications. That's why 90s-00s digital camera came with those shitty ass NiCd batteries.

ill make the logo

>put a sub .5$ cheapo chinese battery in my bluetooth mouse
>lasts 6 months
>buy again

Why fucking spend 30 times more on meme onions tech shit?

>4$ each vs 2$ each
>2550mAh vs 2000mAh
>500 cycles vs 2100 cycles

Doesn't seem that worth it. Then again, you'll never get near 500 cycles in most use cases.

when was the last time you used AA's though?
for me it was probably my original GBA

Rechargeable batteries don't leak.

Attached: 1515425272875.png (409x424, 271K)

I use them whenever I use my trackpad

wat

My trackpad's powered by AAs, actually my trackball is too come to think of it.

What do you niggers use that makes batteries so important to you anyway. Genuinely curious.
The only batteries I ever buy anymore are CR2023 to power my LED reading light, everything else has its own rechargable pack. I haven't had any real use for AA/AAA batteries in years besides powering a TV remote or a wall clock.

Attached: penesamig.jpg (640x494, 35K)

Normally I would agree however I use them for my drone controller which uses power like crazy. The higher capacity ones will last the three batteries of the drone.

My wireless mouse.
My electronic dictionary.
My speedlight.
Remotes.

>NiMh
>Superior
>What is lithium

>>What is lithium

Nonchargeable

I only buy the leftmost panasonic ones because they're dirt cheap and works perfectly fine for specific purposes

they're dirt cheap for a reason, of course

and? i've had the same energizer ultimate lithium cells in my universal remote for the last 12 years

Oh that totally explains why any decent flashlight is run by CR123s or an 18650, and digital cameras specifically recommend rechargable NiMh because they're way better at high draw than alkaline?

Don't try to argue. You're absolutely dead wrong.

Rechargeable batteries keep leaking its power.
So for shit that use really low current such as remotes, non-rechargeable just last a LOT longer.
But using non-rechargeable for anything that draws any sort of noticeable consumption such as game controllers it's dumb.

This is true, but low self discharge NiMH can easily power a remote for six months. That's pretty darn good.

So they came up with a solution for that?
Quite neat.

>he needs a battery charger to charge his batteries

Attached: 3151f200c1a95db1364dbf3299ca493a.jpg (500x500, 29K)

gadgetphila is a problem

What?

>Giving up all those mAh for a built in charger that uses a USB port per battery and takes 5 fucking hours to charge.

Attached: snap_face.jpg (600x580, 274K)

I generally use a charger but stick with USB chargeable ones so I can still charge them if I'm already charging some batteries or don't have my charger. Well worth the lower capacity.

what are you even using that shit for?

Everything that runs on AAs. Trackball, trackpad, radios, etc.

>How do we stop this?

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems rechargeable technology is not advertised or promoted all that much in the US. It's just kind of there, often in a less visible location at the big box stores like Target and wal mart. While conventional batteries are displayed front and center, ready to buy, I'm not even sure where they're kept any more at the big retailers.

I don't recall seeing Eneloops sold here in stores and Target seems to have hidden their pre-charged batteries somewhere less visible, they used to be carried near the flashlights. Remember when everyone was buying certain kinds of Duracell Pre-charged batts because it was a good bet they were rebadged Eneloops? That was nice, and I haven't needed to buy more since.

Anybody in the midwest with Menards stores, have you bought the North Tech rechargeable stuff? I picked up some if their pre-charged AAAs that seem to work fine.

>wireless trackball
>wireless trackpad
>needing a radio for some fucking reason

>>wireless trackball
Only so many USB ports. Turns out the Bluetooth only works on Windows though so I need a USB dongle anyway.
>wireless trackpad
I'd have bought a wired model if there was one.
>needing a radio for some fucking reason
Sort of a necessity for amateur radio.

>remote
Try something that actually draws moderate current. Remotes last for years on ZnC cells.

I bet those are at the absolute limit for thickness of AA cells and probably won't fit in a large number of devices.

The only issue I've ever had with mine was that I had to cut the elastic tether to slip it into my trackpad's battery bay

What's powering your phone then?

A lithium-ion battery

left is fine for lower power shit like tv remotes

Ever notice that the majority of devices that use these are targeted at old people? portable blood pressure, and blood sugar meters come to mind, my grand mother used to run through AA batteries.

>mfw my parents used to give me super heavy duty batteries for my xbox controllers which I would use 24/7

They want to keep you out of the loop as much as possilbe so that you won't realise they're scamming you

Exactly.

lithium batteries aren't rechargeable, Li-ion batteries are.

Old men. Warning! Warning!

rechargeable batteries are larger and have a lower voltage when fully charged compared to fresh alkalines.

>buy
>use
>throw away

>buy
>charge
>use
>forget to charge
>think you have batteries but you don't really they are just empty husks like the faggots who shill them

>forget to charge
How would that happen? If they need to be charged they're either very close to dead or already dead, and in the latter case I'd instantly pull them and pop them into a charger.

Lithium cells do much better on higher draws than others. Disposable lithiums earned their dues for use in cameras.

I use batteries all the time for my noise cancelling headphones. Also, my flashlights. Pro tip, never use flashlights powered by AAA batteries. Only use AA and above.

The reason for this is that torchea use batteries in series current, not parallel. This means all the batteries run down at the same rate. A torch with 4 AAAs will run out of juice faster than a torch with 1 AA. The reason torches run batteries in series is because it increases the voltage, which increases luminosity. So again, a torch with 2 AAs is more bright than a torch with 3 AAAs, because AAs have much more power.

The best torches use those fuck huge chode batteries. D cells, I think. Even better are torches with rechargible batteries that are custom designed. They are optimised for Max luminosity and minimum power consumption. They can be made to hold more power, too.

Attached: 1446087601007.png (360x460, 216K)

Maybe. But they do both use lithium.

>eneloop
Just buy ikea rechargables, literally the same thing.

They do. Nonetheless there is a difference between lithium and lithium-ion batteries.

Perhaps. But some batteries with lithium are still rechargeable.

Yes, but only Li-ion ones. There are non-rechargeable batteries (rightfully) known as lithium batteries and therefore if you say lithium battery it's going to be assumed you meant lithium batteries, as in non-rechargeable.

What the fuck was that drivel, user? The brightness of a torch depends on the wattage and efficiency of the LED(s) used, assuming you're not buying some chink piece of shit that tries to draw 20 watts from 3 AAA batteries and chokes. Batteries don't run out faster if they're in series, the discharge efficiency depends on the wattage too.
Here's a piece of advice: stop buying shit that uses AAs/AAAs because 18650s have way more energy per volume.

I like AAA powered flashlights because I can toss the 3xAAA caddy and pop in an 18650

Are they less bright because of the lower voltage, or does it not matter because the voltage drop of the AAAs under load makes them equivalent to a 18650?

I've got three flashlights that originally ran on 3x AAAs and they're all brighter using an 18650 in place of them.

This, is your flashlight doesn't run on 18650 or the like you need to rethink your life

Well that's just blatantly untrue. Running 3 batteries in series means they all run down at the same rate. That's a simple fact. Also true is the fact that increasing the voltage of a current increases the luminosity of a bulb powered by such a current. Another simple fact is that AAs have more power than AAAs. So standard AA torches always last longer. You can see for yourself on Energisers flashlight brand torches, which list the run time on their packaging and online. It is a simple, unequivocal fact that a 2 AA light will run for 45 hours and a 3 AAA light runs for 13, lumen for lumen. You literally cannot deny it without being a liar.

Attached: wth.png (203x209, 14K)

>increasing the voltage of a current
that's nonsense
>standard AA torches always last longer.
sure, but you didn't say that, you said an AA battery has more power than 4 AAA's, which is false, AA's have roughly twice the capacity as AAA's, not more than four times

best emergency batteries tbqh

Attached: evolta.jpg (1676x1676, 193K)

>AA battery has more power than 4 AAA's,

I actually said 2 AAs.

And it does not matter if it's 3 on 1 or a googlepex on 1. If the AAAs are running in series, which torches always do make their batteries do, then even a single AA will outlast them, although it cannot hope to achieve the same brightness.

People who fetishize buying Eneloop fucking batteries are sad tossers tbqh familams

to quote yourself;
>"A torch with 4 AAAs will run out of juice faster than a torch with 1 AA."

I buy simple batteries, I don't use them for much only my 9v batteries are in use as stable power supply for arduino projects.

Notice how I didn't make a claim as to which type of batteries last longer, I was simply saying that your reasoning is incorrect. I actually agree with you on AAAs being the worse choice.
>The reason torches run batteries in series is because it increases the voltage, which increases luminosity.
No, it's because they have all sorts of design constraints, like the forward voltage of the LEDs used and the price of the final product. Designing a more luminous LED flashlight is not as simple as just increasing the voltage.
>This means all the batteries run down at the same rate.
Batteries in parallel also run down at the same rate, and them running down at the same rate is actually desirable behaviour in both cases. At any rate, two batteries running in series at half the current (same power output) will last at least twice as long as a single battery that outputs the same amount of power. Running things in series doesn't have any negative effects.

>I actually said 2 AAs.
You didn't.

In my defense, that was a true statement. Even through 4 AAAs have more kWs than a single AA, they individually still will run down faster.

>arduino

Huh, I have no idea what that is.

>flashlight
Brightness > all else
l I'll take an EEt ASAAA

I have that charger and it's fucking awesome.
It reads battery capacity and stops when it should. It also charges every battery individually instead of in pairs.

you're not making sense
and you don't measure electrical charge in kilowatt-seconds, that's a unit of energy

> At any rate, two batteries running in series at half the current (same power output) will last at least twice as long as a single battery that outputs the same amount of power

A false assumption. Batteries dump their charge at a fixed rate (which declines over time) that is stated on the batteries. Two batteries running in series will run down at the same rate as one battery, once the switches are flipped.

>an EEt ASAAA

What.

I know. I was talking about how much energy they store in that sentence. 3 AAAs in series can easily produce a higher voltage current than one AA, too.

>"a higher voltage current"
in series, they produce a higher voltage (same amps as one)
in parallel, you can draw higher amperes (same voltage as one)
i don't know what you think "voltage current" means
if you need more volts, you use series, if you need more amps, you use parallel, that's the difference

Ikea ones seem to come from the same place as Japanese Eneloops.
1000mAh low capacity ones for devices that have low drain.
2450mAh high capacity ones for more demanding devices.

Low capacity ones are pretty sweet since they have very low self discharge compared to the higher ones, completely replaces heavy dutys for remotes and shit.

>Batteries dump their charge at a fixed rate (which declines over time) that is stated on the batteries.
What the fuck are you talking about? That's not how electricity works at all.

>Batteries dump their charge at a fixed rate
Nigger what

The absolute fucking state of Jow Forums

just send for recycling nig nog.

It is how batteries work. They don't have a chip in them that regulates current. Neither do torches, unless they are the more expensive kind.

It really depends on how you're defining this shit.

When you put batteries in series you have the same amount of capacity but higher voltage, so two 1900mAh AAs in series is 3V 1900mAh.
It all depends on what you do for the load. Just attach a simple 10ohm load and they'll drain at the same rate, there'll be more power output though. If you can have the load increase resistance when a higher voltage is present then you would get a longer life out of the two batteries.

Yeah, I think user is talking about drain when they're used with Globe Torches.

I didn't say voltage current. I said "a higher voltage current". An electrical current running at a higher voltage. It is simple grammar and syntax. You lack reading comprehension.

Just because there isn't a current regulation circuit in the torch doesn't mean it will consume the maximum amount of current the battery can provide.

>Just attach a simple 10ohm load and they'll drain at the same rate, there'll be more power output though.
Nah, there will be 4x the power output because the load will draw 2x the current at 2x the voltage.
Comparing batteries with different voltages while assuming the same load isn't representative of real world use cases anyway. One device that needs 10 mW and uses two batteries will be designed differently from another device that uses one battery but also needs 10 mW, so the device with two batteries will last 2x as long because it has 2x the energy but the same power draw. It would only be relevant if you had an option to power the device off of either one or two batteries in series.

It doesn't make a difference in the end because it's the same thing. An LED and a bulb both use power and both get brighter when more voltage is applied. It's irrelevant to the topic.

>One device that needs 10 mW and uses two batteries will be designed differently from another device that uses one battery but also needs 10 mW, so the device with two batteries will last 2x as long because it has 2x the energy but the same power draw.

You are skipping over a lot when you say "designed differently". Perhaps disingenuously. They aren't really designed differently. There's only so many ways to tap a battery. More advanced torches can slow down the draw and dim the light. But lumen for lumen and led for led, a bigger battery will simply last longer on the same voltage than a smaller battery, or set of smaller batteries combined to output that voltage. I know this is the case for those 3x AAA battery torches sold everywhere compared to a 2 AA pen torch.

I know you want to argue that about 2 batteries vs 1 of the same battery type and that's what your point was implying, but that's actually nonsensical. A single battery can't make a torch as bright as two of those batteries in series. It lacks the voltage. What would happen is both torches run for the same time, but one is half as bright.

At least buy the alkalines. Panasonic's ZnCl only have 500mAh while their alkalines have 2000-2800mAh and they cost the same if you buy in bulk:

amazon.com/Panasonic-Corporation-LR6PA-48PC-Alkaline/dp/B074C4PT72/
amazon.com/Panasonic-Batteries-Heavy-Duty-Pack/dp/B01KU1NBDQ/

Don't buy Panasonic at all. Just get duracell or energiser.

>3.2~3.5Ah for double to triple the price of 2~2.4Ah

Lithium batteries aren't worth it unless you really need a cell that works in -40°F(-40°C) over Alkaline's -4°F(-20°C).

ZnCl tops out at 900mAh (though I doubt they make those anymore). Even the shittiest of Alkalines have 2000mAh.

>rechargeable Nickle metal hydride
>a good purchase

Bitch please basically useless after the second charge. Best batteries are always the cheapest ones.

Lithium-ion uses very little lithium.

>Bitch please basically useless after the second charge

No, that's just the fake chink cells you bought that were really ZnC.

>-40°F(-40°C)

Do you want to revise that?

It's the main component, dumbo.