/ag/ & /am/: audio general 'n audiophile mooms

just got these for $20 online
how'd i do brahs?

Attached: s-l16e00.jpg (1600x1066, 190K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!LUUiUCoI!Dg6mP8E9fbTaF4rEzB4pWqLcpmokJ_0irep7pQl9DZo
amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-S-21W-Peak-Active-Subwoofer/dp/B003UTRUMO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1528651667&sr=8-6&keywords=subwoofer
soundandvision.com/content/test-bench-sony-str-dg910-av-receiver
wyoming.craigslist.org/ele/d/polk-speakers-vintage-monitor/6606153247.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

what amp you running them through?
i just got a oldass sony 5.1 in stereo

i have this older pioneer with a massive h transformer - cant even turn the volume knob past 15% because too loud

It definitely looks cheap. What is the model?

Attached: Louspeaker Cone Vibration.png (2248x3177, 2.23M)

lol my sony is fucked its at 3/4 barely loud, sound quality is excellent tho it maxes the speakers out

Too bad loud volume doesn’t equate sound quality.

this.
t. using optical toslink that sounds shitload better than hdmi

uh, sony SS MB 150H

sony engineering is underappreciated at midtier

it doesnt always but in this case it does
id like to get some bigger speakers at some point that are harder to drive and see if i can crank the amp higher

pic unrelated

Attached: 13256506_10209347501913853_2111979642132746195_n.jpg (960x960, 101K)

Just a reminder: ported designs are trash

Well, no. They're not.

That's an OK tier speaker with tight trebble and better than expected bass.

Interesting infographic - Still reading it.

Attached: 336_img_1.jpg (1500x1500, 965K)

No, playing your system loud is the opposite of what you need for a high resolution system.

i don't know what youre talking about -- good speakers should be able to play loud without interfering with distortion

I might get rid of my old onkyo 5.1 system and buy my first pair of monitors. I already own a topping d30 and a magni 3 which apparently has an output for speakers. Am I right in assuming I can hook up both of those to a pair of JBL LSR305 for example? I'd mainly be using them for gaming, which are the best monitors for around £200? the JBL LSR305 are the biggest I can go due to speaker shelf space, ideally I'd like something a little smaller

monitors are a meme, better off with floorstanders/loud speakers i have ancient akron 4 ways
monitors NEED a sub as well

I know you don’t know what I’m talking about. You’ve never heard a hi-if system, only lo/mid fi garbage.

RCA pair to TRS or XLR pair. One for each speaker. The amplifier should function as the volume control to the speaker amp.
As for the 305, the drivers are well mated, so the spatial coverage is good. Another powered model to consider is the Mackie MR524.

So, can you post your system. Other user is making a valid point. Are you trying to imply that high fidelity systems shouldn't be capable of playing loud because it affects resolution? Are you using Logitech?

Attached: id meme u with Celexon surfaces but I don think ud appreciate its quality.jpg (432x243, 22K)

wat
theyre not mutually exclusive

You’re like a baby learning to crawl.

did you post ur system yet

Why would my system matter in any way?

I'm currently using the trust gaming gxt 658 tytan 5.1 system.

>not sure if trollin

Attached: trust-gxt658-curround-sound-system-21738-packaging.jpg (650x650, 123K)

Why? It's a really good entry system.

Did you post these?
If so, stop your shameless trolling.

JBLs have a hissing problem especially used in nearfield. It may not matter much for gaming.

>Did you post these
Nope. Looks like more entry level garbage to me.

No I only posted ported designs are trash to trigger some audiolets. Stay mad.

>Did you post these?

Yes I did, but again why would my arguments be invalidated by the system I use?

Attached: Loudspeaker Nonlinearities.png (2245x3174, 1.55M)

What's the difference between buying this and other 12AX7's aside from raw output power for V1 designs?

Attached: Screenshot_20180610-165937_eBay.jpg (392x700, 121K)

How new are you?
Audiotubes.com

> all this talk about high tier speaker designs and absolutely nothing about room acoustics
Fucking audiophiles never learn lmao

I know literally nothing about tubes. I've been using solid state my entire life. Sorry grandpa.

>audiophiles
On Jow Forums, yeah sure buddy.

Got to the link, inform yourself. You’re welcome slopoke

hipster cred

Attached: 622a_fafb88b1fba75a32f3ea81e1a3fd8ff717444015.jpg (620x300, 42K)

Y'all are really edgy this morning. Did you not get laid last night, again? Go ahead and roast me.

These are good.

Attached: DSC_6502.jpg (2000x3008, 1.14M)

Quad. Not ESL. Wew. Lad.

>Pioneer A-445

Should I go for it? What are the cons of using old amplifiers?

Attached: 1351-a-445.jpg (851x315, 51K)

Don't feel like ESL maintenance and sitting in one spot never to move again.

Bugs. Lol. I always take apart vintage gear outside, just in case, and leave it in subzero cold when possible for three nights.

Pioneers are generally solid for middle tier goodness.

Attached: a-445-1b-pioneer.jpg (950x726, 127K)

Enjoy your gaming pc speakers, buckeroo.

Attached: bigboxyspeaker.jpg (1536x2048, 518K)

Nobody has said anything about high-end speakers, but okay.

First, a link.
mega.nz/#!LUUiUCoI!Dg6mP8E9fbTaF4rEzB4pWqLcpmokJ_0irep7pQl9DZo

Hard floors are fine since the floor bounce is normally assumed to exist by human ears. Hard ceilings are not, and neither are side walls.
To get effective control over a wide frequency range, you need large treatment panels. 10cm (4-inch) broadband absorbers should work deep enough into the midrange if wall mounted. Thinner absorbers are required if you hang them away from the walls, as this will increase the effectiveness of any broadband absorber.

Broadband absorbers are ineffective in the bass, so resonating traps are required to hit the bass modes. Best placed at walls and corners, unlike broadband traps, Two types of resonant traps: the cavity/Helmholtz and membranes.
Room construction will have a variable effect on this. Walls made of drywall and studs have a slight bass damping effect. Interestingly, glass windows may do something similar. Watch out for rattling.
If you don't care about appearances, you can build your walls out of acoustical concrete units. These have open cavities to serve as bass traps. When unfinished and unpainted, they have some broadband absorbing effect. Some may even be shaped to work as diffusers.

Attached: Sound absorption of materials.png (1691x1202, 363K)

Which one should I buy?
1000$ = 1.58 US Dollars

Attached: afdsd.png (919x956, 328K)

probably the cheapest ones

Attached: 1528387761159.jpg (629x540, 65K)

I have tinnitus so the hissing may not be a problem as long as it's quiet. The JBL LSR305 are around £90. How good would these sound running through my topping and magni 3? I dont want to waste my time buying a meme. A lot of people say that a sub is not required, is this the case? they will be sat on top of wall mounts. I'm not a bass head, but I don;t want them to sound flat considering they'll be for gaming

Add capacitors or a crossover change the tweeter

Attached: 20180606_084314.jpg (4032x3024, 2.85M)

i like the tweeter -- its precise and doesn't rape

The noise floor is the main issue. That and its cheap construction.
Otherwise, it sounds pretty good. I suggest a slightly aggressive toe-in. These may be a little better 10-15 degrees off-axis.
>a sub is not required
Depends on how much bass you want. If you want to watch movies on your computer, there's going to be something missing.
For pure sound quality reasons, a sub is nice since you can optimize bass response separately from the mains placement.

I wouldn't be against adding a sub at some point. How would I connect a sub to my dac and a pair of LSR305's then?

You are such a fucking retard loser if you've never blasted a pair of Focal Scala V2s at a dealership rocking some Dire Straits.

Good speakers are (not "should be") able to not distort at loud volumes (physics limits disclaimer), given proper amplification.

Wow, your an idiot. Good job!

active sub with built-in crossover

Before I actually look into it I thought I'd show you this sub that I had my eye on a long time ago for a different reason. Would this be fine?

amazon.co.uk/Pioneer-S-21W-Peak-Active-Subwoofer/dp/B003UTRUMO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1528651667&sr=8-6&keywords=subwoofer

would work if it wasn't completely useless trash
you want something that can actually play lower than your main speakers

Ok, thanks for the help. I'll look into it a bit later.

Why did audio during the late 80s to early 90s transition into mid-range systems like pic related? Walking into goodwill and seeing nothing but cheap systems like this is disappointing.

Attached: $_86.jpg (1024x576, 73K)

now we have bluetooth speakers and soundbars
consumer audio only got worse

Too bad everybody has different definition of loud

>friend buys a soundbar with a sub
>points the sub towards the corner of his room
He said it sounded good but man I didn't want to tell him that's retarded. Even my mom is hell-bent on getting a soundbar for her TV despite my fruitless attempts at telling her that's a bad idea when she could spend just a few dollars more for a good pair of speakers.

>illiterate pleb calls others idiots
Strong argument you have there

>points the sub
that shit is omnidirectional anyways, though

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1066, 101K)

He would have been better off just placing the sub in the corner as opposed to pointing it towards it

Attached: b.jpg (1280x960, 419K)

unless the sub is not lowpassed / crossovered it makes no difference

Attached: cba50f2d717e6339e610ddad4105b4dc.jpg (720x960, 364K)

Attached: 3664087125_435d76164e_o.jpg (4304x2860, 2.76M)

>he's probably listening to 192kbps youtube rips of classic rock

So my dad gave me this old A/V receiver he had since he wasn't using it but I've never had a speaker setup before. Is it good enough? and what speakers would be decent that aren't too expensive?

Attached: 71mrbB5rhHS._SL1500_.jpg (1500x632, 120K)

Better than nothing. Budget for speakers?

Seems to bench okay in 2 channel.
soundandvision.com/content/test-bench-sony-str-dg910-av-receiver

>too expensive
Define this, please.

hmm, qt

Attached: RIP.jpg (600x427, 37K)

all these midtier sony receivers are good performers especially second-hand since their lifespan is usually about 30 to 40 years

Not if hearing is normal.

He's still assmad over his Logitech-tier set up.

Attached: 64c8fbe284ca3ce620922c2f34624df0--s-childhood-childhood-memories.jpg (736x875, 145K)

I have a old Kenwood vr209 500 watt receiver sitting in my closet, anyone recommend a decent 2 speaker setup that I can couple with it to play music in my basement while working out?

Attached: wyoming1.jpg (790x752, 178K)

Ah, my bad.

I'd say my budget is about 200 bucks for a pair of speakers.

Oh and a friend said he could sell me a pair of pic related for about 50$, Mirage Omnisat

Attached: 41G088MX6SL._SX425_.jpg (425x416, 25K)

Using an HTPC as a way to play music in an entertainment center; would HDMI be enough or would I want a soundcard? The HTPC will also double as a way to watch saved movies, TV shows, and anime

>Mirage Omnisat
weird looking but they have good reviews
$50 is a very good price

Would I hear any change in quality changing from using the 3.5 mm jack rear audio port connected to a lepai amp, to using the digital audio port connected to a DAC going to that amp?

god tier setup my nigger

whats that Cambridge audio ? cant really tell whats its supposed to be.
DAC or preamp ? both ?

>Pioneer A-445
no silver

fuuck

Im thinking about upgrading my cheap logitech speakers and getting the KEF Q100's. Are Hi-Fi speakers really worth it?

im going to end up spending around $400. about $270 with tax on the Q100's and about $120 for an A/V Reveiver

Attached: qw.jpg (425x460, 52K)

wyoming.craigslist.org/ele/d/polk-speakers-vintage-monitor/6606153247.html
120$ but should be $80 due to age

Yeah, think I'm gonna go for the offer.
Also, should I get a subwoofer to go with them?
And do I need to put anything under the speakers if I plan to put them on my desk?

Get some of those foam pads and if you can get a solid sub for a comparable price then you're set for a while

IMO try them first without subwoofer. Subwoofers tend to be more expensive simply because of their weight and dimensions, and the pricing for a basic unit that's not shitty is usually at least $300.

Attached: b19c757055c3be76bc8c1c33901d3966--vinyl-cover-cover-art.jpg (736x774, 216K)

This one is a younger unit with HDMI - you have a nice dad. You could pair that with virtually any speaker.

This is how obesity sets in.

Any new KEFs are solid, but you could save yourself $200 looking around the second-hand market for older KEFs less than 15 years old. Also, there's literally tons of non-HDMI AVRs available at thrift stores (in states with more population) for under $20.

Attached: posterzena1.jpg (1083x1600, 187K)

Trawl around Craigslist and used markets for old receivers. They come really cheap.
You can shave off a little more by taking the Amazon warehouse item.

Cheapest sub new I can think of that isn't useless is the Dayton SUB-1200.

One of the things that took KEF a while to figure out was how to deal with central axis cancellation. A lot of other coaxials still have this problem.
Anyway, that's one of the issues that can pop up with the really old speakers.

Sony, Yamaha, JVC, and Aiwa all introduced these absolutely amazing bookshelf systems in the late 80's. There was a lot of good engineering that went into those things back then; great sounding speakers for the size and everything. They were also pretty expensive so, as the 90's rolled on, they started to make cheaper variants of them with a similar look. People that walked into a store and marveled at those original systems but couldn't afford them now had a cheaper alternative from the same companies and they ended up selling like crazy. I worked at a Best Buy in '94 and we couldn't keep those shit-tiered systems in stock, especially the Aiwa systems with their flashy seizure inducing EQ displays.

Pic related, an older Sony MHC-2600. Not the one I was looking for, but it's close enough.

Attached: sony_mhc.jpg (900x566, 73K)

i think it started with certain companies going for the component rack system meme and selling based on completing the set

Attached: be41b3398e207e7879b4ea53f426410b.jpg (4032x3024, 1.3M)

I wanna get some nice speaker to use with my PC, any verdict on these?

Attached: z906.png (800x687, 113K)

old model, shitty
just go for a proper 2.1

nah, it was definitely the mini bookshelf systems of the late 80's. The Sony systems were the more popular joints, Aiwa and JVC were definitely making some great mini systems too, and Yamaha had one that I saw at Hudson's around the spring of '90 than made my jaw drop.

Yamaha managed to cram their Active Servo technology into one of them with the YST-C10 and later the C11. I remember popping a tape into the C10 and the bass outta that thing was utterly amazing. I sat there for probably 30 minutes auditioning music on it then getting pissed because the high ass price tag was way out of my league.

Pic related, the YST-C10.

Attached: yst-c10.jpg (600x600, 223K)

>YST-C10
$250 on ebay rite nao

By the power of bass—LIVE!!

Attached: IMG_2462small.jpg (1000x842, 115K)

wat am i lookin at

That is a hole for a 19-inch subwoofer frame. The builder is standing inside the brace holes.

Attached: IMG_2471small.jpg (750x1000, 193K)

Perception of quality and our expectations of quality has just decreased. Look at an old magazine from the 30s and 40s even, they are spectacular - more like books. Hi-fi has done the same thing. People cared more in the 70s and 80s. Real home theater stores were pretty common in decent neighborhoods even in the 90s, now they are mostly gone. People get impressed by chink headphones and Sonos systems now.

Attached: effy-orange.gif (245x150, 486K)

Yeah that'll be great for a 5.1 setup (or even 7.1 if you want). Go for easier to drive speakers, 8-ohm loads. Check out Ascend CMT-340s or if you want something smaller the HTM-200 SEs. Pair it with an SVS or HSU subwoofer

>System of a Down

good taste user