Epson EcoTank Printers

Are these things a meme? Does anybody here own one? And if so, how it do?

For those too lazy to research, basically it's an expensive printer but with really fucking cheap ink (it's vice versa for HP) and the ink can be bought by the bottle to be refilled like a water squirt gun. Apparently every model comes with 2-3 years supply of ink for up to 13,000 monochrome pages and 6500 full colour pages.

youtube.com/watch?v=KYDjZT9isZI

Attached: et4550_fla-cns-fn-3_690x460.jpg (690x460, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHJ8QLQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just mod your printer with continuous ink supply. It will be even cheaper than that.

Attached: luv dis flayvah.jpg (497x651, 58K)

Do you actually need to print high-quality colour photos at home? Unless you're a photography student or something similar, it seems entirely frivolous to me. Get a black-and-white Brother laser printer.

I don't even understand why you'd need a home printer. I go to a printshop once every year or two when I need to print something out.

epson ecotanks are expensive, but a samsung laserjet (I refuse to purchase from HP) is like a fucking luxury item. I'd never be able to afford one whereas with my current arrangement, I'd be able to buy an ecotank in a reasonable amount of time. (I print A LOT of shit)

because I don't get a massive list of what I need to print at the start of the year.

the ink also costs about 12 dollars a piece, add the red yellow cyan, and black, that's about 50 dollars. That's more or less the current price for ONE inkjet cartridge.

What kinds of things do you print? Are you an artist? I'm legitimately curious.

Having a basic one is useful if you ever need to send packages (ebay, returns, etc) and don't live next door to a print shop.

I think you might have misread my post; I said a black-and-white laser. They're sub-$100.

>Having a basic one is useful if you ever need to send packages (ebay, returns, etc) and don't live next door to a print shop.
That makes sense, if you're doing that a lot it's cheaper than a print shop.

I am a photographer, and I'm fucking sick of the hand-me-down HP that I have

I can't have a black and white. I photograph shit and I'm not the emo type, so I'd rather my pictures be printed in full colour and that they fill up the entire page. something that is the scourge of most inkjets

Gotcha.

You don't like having a mandatory inch of whiteness around everything you print, chopping off any image or text content around the edge? TOO BAD!

Ive heard those Pixma printers that are always sold in bundles go for cheap online. Like they're great, abundant, cheap to repair. Not sure if CISS is possible with them, but itd be a good thing to look into

I need to hand in paper assignments for a couple more years of uni, on campus printers are 25c a page black only and shit quality

I buy a cheapass HP printer and throw it away after it runs out. The whole printer is cheaper than the replacement cartridges

>You don't like having a mandatory inch of whiteness around everything you print
When I meant I wanted the pictures to take up the full page, I meant I wanted them to be *slightly* bigger than a fucking post-stamp, which is the limit of most inkjets. I remember being a 10 year old kid and printing a bunch of pirate flags for my birthday and the 4th pirate flag squeezed out all the ink

Yeah, but what's the price of the ink?
>cheap to repair
what the fuck? If i'd known printers need repair so often, I would have just taped a sheet of paper to the screen and trace my photographs using a pencil

Attached: 1431566175671.jpg (586x720, 158K)

I think you, my ingenious nigger, may have just solved the razor and blade business monopoly. The world thanks you

Wouldn't a laser one be better anyways? My experience with them is that the printer may be a bit pricey at the start but then it's smooth sailing for the rest of your life instead of blowing 3x the total price of one of them in printer cartridges by buying the inkjew variant.

Maybe, but the toner still costs a fuckton. I know it prints more papers than there are stolen bikes in Neil deGrasse Tyson's garage but still. It's a big investment that I'm not prepared to make. The ecotank variant offers a lot of ink and replacement bottles for cheap.

Dumb fag. If you print with any serious amount of volume, the printhead will likely be the first thing the break. The ink is as inexpensive as you want considering it has a ciss you can get.

i just got a free CL printer that has separete ink tanks and made tiny holes in them to fill them with chink ink.

well, in my experience, the hand-me-down HP thats probably older than me, has never borked according to my parents. It's just that the ink costs so fucking much

I love it when I see idiots saying that ecotank is not a good value for money....
I guess a $50 hp with $80 refilling every month is worth the money.
pff... fucking consumers.

I print at my employer.
They don't give a shit.

lol me too

Go to a best buy and try it out. Ecotank has poor image quality but the price per page is insane. Plus they have that thing where you get a discount if you trade in an old printer on top of a price match.

Got the ET-2500. Can confirm the ink is cheap as shit and 2 years of ink isn't an understatement. To be fair, I have't used it much and it's still operable since early 2016.

I would still recommend a basic Brother mono laser and use professional photo print services instead of dealing with a shitty inkjet that shits itself the second its warranty expires.

I rather pay more for ink than the printer because

1) its an upfront cost
2) that printer can break or be defective and have issues

I have been using this thing since 2014:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHJ8QLQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was 82 dollars when I got it. Apart from the software being kinda stupid, I have no issues.

Attached: cis.jpg (640x653, 74K)

Use sous vide machine to distill squids into ink.
You can buy and cultivate squids to produce blackish ink forever practically. Good luck.

I just print everything I need to at work. If I need to be discrete, I go to the nearby Staples, which charges pennies per copy. Not sure if I would ever go back; I used to have a low end HP laser printer and it took them two years to crank out drivers for it for Win7 and by then the toner was dead and dry.

Attached: 1402035780668.gif (217x217, 1.46M)

You need to reset the chip every few printouts. It's annoying.