Does anyone else here miss when most all electronic devices out there used nice inexpensive standardized batteries that...

Does anyone else here miss when most all electronic devices out there used nice inexpensive standardized batteries that could easily be swapped, charged in large quantities with a dedicated charger outside of your devices, bought in bulk for cheap vs a proprietary battery, and in emergencies you could walk into most stores and buy a pack of batteries and have your device ready to go for many more hours? Now days you're screwed if you forget to plug in your device, or even worse you wake up in the morning only to learn that your charger failed and your device hasn't actually been charging all night. Was the thinness meme really worth it?

Attached: Game Boy Advance Purple.jpg (4200x2900, 3.99M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SlelbGtPEdU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No.

No actually i was fucking extatic when i upgraded my GBA for a GBAsp the rechargeable battery was 10000 times more practical and lasted longer

Fuck no. If you think that waking up to a failed charger is somehow worse than having to go to the store to pay for batteries you're fucking underaged and retarded

No.

Dealing with batteries was a fucking pain in the ass.

>OP
>the replies
rekt

Yes. Lithium-Ion batteries need to be standardized and easily replaceable.

It's not the 1990s anymore. Modern LSD NiMH are way better than that NiCd crap.

Fuck no. I had every TV remote in the house butchered for batteries to play GBA.
Your charger fucks up? Buy another one goddamit.

I don't remember caring much about that aspect at the time, outside of when my cat chewed my charger cable and I wasn't able to play it for a week until I got a new cable.

>worse than having to go to the store to pay for batteries you're fucking underaged and retarded
>what are rechargeable batteries
All I had to do with my old devices was check them before I left home, and if the batteries were low I would simply remove them, throw them in a box labeled "recharge", and take another set out of my "charged" box. Also, if I suspected a battery was reaching the end of its life I could simply throw it out and use all the others I had on hand rather than dealing with ordering shitty Chinese versions of proprietary batteries (since OEM versions tend to cost many times more, if you're even able to find one) that don't last near as long as the OEM versions and may be DOA. When going on trips or doing anything else where one set of batteries wouldn't be enough, I could simply take a bag of batteries and never have to worry about being without my devices. All that beats the shit out of the experience you get with the proprietary batteries of today.

>inexpensive

i have a silver one

>What are powerbanks

ITT:

>what are rechargeable batteries

how do you want to put a fucking powerbank in there ?
i have black adapter but i never seen a fucking power bank for GBA

Unreplaceable.

Naw not really, lithium ion batteries are better in every way. It just sucks that most of them these days aren't removable, but the technology is way better than AA or AAA batteries, while taking up less space

>dongling your device to keep it running

no

spending couple of dollars every few days for batteries was retarded

and yes phones could have larger batteries

but a cheap $10-20 powerbank you can keep on your backpack/car will help you charger your phone whenever you need it for years

or if you're so disorganized you can't keep your phone charged and neither have a power bank charged then you can get pic related and enjoy spending $3 to charge your phone once

Get a buck converter and attach it to some 2xAA battery case, that will give you some battery. Or a down converter and 4xAA. And in case of need you could even plug it to a 12V power supply as a car battery, which should give you infinite battery to your phone.

The boxes thing that said is the best option ever. I have like 15 18650 batteries in two different phone chargers, I have unlimited juice. I can even plug them to my laptop.

>pic related
>no pic
what did he mean by this?

Probably what I said here but pre-made. Some air port shops sell them in a single use format.

Attached: 61u2Wv43ccL._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 24K)

Are you retarded nibba? you can replace the batteries very easily hell you can even attach wires to + and - ends of old cellphone batteries keep the wires in place with a rubber band and use them as powerbanks too

You can make your own usb cables you know I made one for a 3ds and works just fine just connect both data cables together and connect the negative with negative and positive with positive

Easy

>pic related a powerbank with a bunch of spare litium batteries

Attached: 20180610_170142.png (609x880, 638K)

And if you are careless you can just burn down your house.
I almost did. Fucking chink chargers.

>carrying cables and battery packs
Vs
>carrying an extra battery
Powerbanks are awful and you shouls never use one if you dont have to
youtu.be/SlelbGtPEdU

>having to buy shit AA batteries that lasts nothing
lol no, that's solely I got a GBA SP back in day

If you dont like powerbanks then buy a phone with a replaceable battery lmao it's not that hard you know

>inexpensive
Nice try battery jew. AA batteries are dead, not to mention these pieces of shit haven't improved in 20 years and still costs the same.

I'm so fucking glad AA batteries are dead. Fuck those pieces of shit.

How many underage fucktards in this thread seriously believe that rechargable batteries didn't exist prior to proprietary batteries? I was using rechargeable AA batteries in the 90s and was most certainly using them in the GBA I bought in the 2000s.

>just use a power bank
That's retarded. Why would I want to carry a second life support device to plug into my first device rather than just being able to swap the battery?

Is that meant as a joke?

>pic related a bomb with a bunch of spare litium batteries
FTFY, and any power bank that doesn't use standardized easily changeable batteries (such as 18650 cells) is fucking retarded as it just amounts to making the same mistake you made with the device you're trying to charge a second time.

FPBP

Anyone who had to put up with portable gaming consoles in the 90's had to cope with the fact that AA batteries were worth more than diamond studded platinum for some weird reason. Rechargeable batteries were godawful: cheap li-ons would have memory and would be useless after the first overcharge, non-junk rechargables had to sit for nearly a day on the charger and lost their life within a year of actual use. By the time batteries were cheap and in bulk, nobody gave a shit since universal wall warts with a gazillion outputs were cheap enough.

Tyco and its bullshit was a special brand of awful. There was nothing like dropping $70 in 90's money (a fortune in today's money) for proprietary charging kit that took six hours to charge for about 15-20 minutes of play.

Attached: 1384648822209.jpg (572x507, 172K)

No. Lipos are amazing. And they can easily be changed, just get a fixit tool kit.

even though I have an lg k10, I have a hacked powerhit that works with AA batteries

>Needs to be replaced
>Costs a fuck ton if you play a lot and you have to go to the store continue playing
No OP. That shit is terrible. You can pay a small amount for rechargeable batteries and a charger and it won't cost as much as if you bought batteries all the time.

since you can't get away from this proprietary lithium garbage these days I just got a powerbank that takes NiMH AAs

enjoy playing on that sp in 20 years when the batteries are dead and they don't make replacements anymore

i used to run stuff like this off mains and just use the batteries as a backup.

lets be realistic here people the only people who play handhelds in public are kids that are raised badly and just dragged around by their parents in public places because they live in a shit unsafe nabourhood

spotted the underage retard

You know you can just open it and put a compatible battery, right? Just match the voltage. Enjoy paying for shit AA batteries and enjoy having no backlight.

>Not converting your gameboy to lipo
Lol.

Portable electronics don't last 20 years

NiMh was replaced for good reason. 18650 powerbanks are the standard and lithium is much better.

>Why would I want to carry a second life support device to plug into my first device rather than just being able to swap the battery?
No one but it works quite okay, considering they are more energy dense and alkaline/nimh and work for pretty much everything.

Think that's bad? The Game Boy Micro never had any aftermarket batteries, so all the owners of those have are what's left of the OEM batteries Nintendo produced during the short lifespan of that system. I've already heard some owners expressing concern about still being able to use their devices in the near future.

>and enjoy having no backlight.
>he doesn't have a modded GBA with an SP screen

My GBC begs to differ

What a mess. Do things properly, open the phone batteries and solder to the tabs like you should.

These devices are obsolete. I have a gameboy but it's all nostalgiafagging, there's plenty of better devices and ways to play the games.

I miss it because fuck finding an AC outlet sometimes

I work in forestry and stay out for long stretches in the woods. I take my old GBA with me because I can get AAs at any gas station

>>NiMh was replaced for good reason.
Yeah, planned obsolescence. Gadget-makers want the gadget to be useless (and therefore in need of replacement) when its internal lithium battery wears out, they don't want you just popping in fresh rechargeables that can be had for pocket change at a corner store. That's a good reason for them but not for me, and I'll happily give up thinness of form factor and power density to get that advantage.

>These devices are obsolete. I have a gameboy but it's all nostalgiafagging, there's plenty of better devices and ways to play the games.
Enlighten us.
>inb4 stretched on GPD

part of this too is that gameboys have super basic cpus and (normally) no backlight. a 3DS wouldnt last long on AAs either.

Standardized and replaceable lipo batteries were a thing long before the current fashion of phones with non-removable batteries. In fact it has nothing to do with nimh vs. lipo since they could make integrated nimh as well.

>popping in fresh rechargeables that can be had for pocket change at a corner store.
nimh isn't THAT cheap, and if you get it in the store it's gonna be pretty discharged. And again, it has many downsides. High self discharge, long/hot charging, low voltage, lower density...

>open the phone batteries and solder to the tabs like you should.
>opening litium batteries
Are you fucking retarded?

Are you even using a circuit to manage the current? If not, enjoy your housefire

Haha. protip: Under the plastic cap you'll find a protection IC that's just in the way, and either a pouch-type cell or a sealed metal cell. Both will have tabs for soldering.

One would assume so or he wouldn't manage to charge much of anything

Attached: a80de65b0ece9f34c2636ba90188c60c.jpg (1080x1350, 187K)

The battery market is fucking massive and it's worth more money than ever.

Clearly not because AA batteries

>One would assume so or he wouldn't manage to charge much of anything
Read his post, I don't think so

Because AA batteries what?

>High self discharge
Can you even buy old-style NiMHs anymore? I thought everything except maybe the worst chink shit was low self-discharge these days.

Charging is only hot if its too fast. You want it slow anyway, fast charging wears batteries out faster.

I had a gameboy for years, when upgrading to the GBC with only 2 batteries that was amazing for me. Hugely long battery life with less cost. I understand where youre coming from, since non swappable batteries eventually wear out and the parts arent always in inexpensive supply, but I was very happy to make the move to the DS which was rechargeable, since I no longer had to worry about leaving it on too long isle or constantly conserving.

Attached: 1526528469952.png (1061x1433, 710K)

>GBC
>Make the move to DS

You missed out about 10 consoles in between, user.

Read the post chain.

>AA Batteries are dead
>No they aren't, the market is massive
>Clearly not because AA batteries

?

It's just a loop.

??

>Naw not really, lithium ion batteries are better in every way

Lithium ion will die after 5-10 years just like sealed lead acid batteries did. NiMH, while having less energy density, last decades.

Literally grew up carrying around a pack of double As. I had even remember throwing a few packs in the freezer since that was a thing back then. The SP blew my fucking mind and I went through three of them by the time the DS came out, and I still played the SP until well after the DS lite was released.
Rechargeable batteries were a bust back then anyway. I never really took care of much so losing a battery was a big game over. Again, having a non-replaceable, rechargable battery saved me a lot of potential problems. Plus I was able to charge and play.

They are, for things like laser pointers, hobbyist flashlights and vapes. The 18650 battery is really damn convenient imo. It's just that too many people are too fucking stupid to handle them properly and end up having them explode or vent in their backpack or pocket.

At least lithium sucks less in shelf life than it used to. I remember in the early 2000s, lithium batteries were useless in three years tops, regardless of how many charge/discharge cycles you put them through. Nowadays you have at least a few more years than that.

My console life was like this.
>Get original gameboy for christmas one year with F1 race.
>F1 race fucking sucks but I play the shit out of it anyway.
>Pokemon Red version comes out
>HNNNNNGGH
>pick up final fantasy legend 2 at pc shop for 15 bucks
>DOUBLE HNNNGH
>get regular NES one year, mario 3, metroid, etc
>grandfather buys best friend's SNES and all of his 20 some odd rare games for 25 bucks since hes busy with N64 and soon gamecube.
>Parents buy me the sega saturn
>PANZER DRAGOON HNNNGH
>I develop rolandic epilepsy.
>in the hospital for a week getting tests
>due to seizures and flashing lights I have to give up all of my consoles and games.
>some years go by and I refuse to stop playing at friends houses
>get GBC and resume
>rent out gameboy advance from blockbuster for CASTLEVANIIIIIA
>gamecube era
>save up enough money to buy myself a playstation 1
>rent final fantasies and buy final fantasy tactics, good times
>one christmas my deadbeat dad who abandoned me, or my mom abandoned him whe n I was a kid shows up, takes me to walmart and buys me a playstation 2 and everquest online adventures.
>favorite console ever
>dad disappears into the mist again
>th-thanks dad! I love you!
>play ps2 for many years
>DS comes out, entire friend group at school has them, mario kart and kirby minigames all the time on lunch
>etrian odyssey in my alone time
>wii comes out
>I dont buy a new console again until the 3ds which I get day 1
>same with Wii U
>get ps3 right before ps4 comes out
>get ps4 later
>get switch on release day

And here we are. Last bits are less eventful, since the games were as well.

Attached: 821.jpg (928x1200, 361K)

tfw the room is too dark to play.

That white thing with positive and negative wires does the job it uses a 3.7v lithium battery so all I have to do is switch them

>Can you even buy old-style NiMHs anymore?
You can at least in more niche products. But they're still significantly worse in the discharge rate.

>Charging is only hot if its too fast. You want it slow anyway, fast charging wears batteries out faster.
Yeah that's why I put in a slash. Fast charging puts more wear on lipo as well but sometimes it can be totally worth it. For example charging a phone battery full before going out in a hour instead of 2.5h. It is totally worth it to me if only I could replace it easily for $20.

Anyways you can charge a lipo with no extra wear in ~3h while nimh needs ~10h.

>last decades
No. Also there's li-ion if that's a concern.

Even back then they could last long unused, but if they're left at "0%" for months they're gonna start taking damage from the self discharge which also was worse back then.

>too many people are too fucking stupid to handle them properly
I think the internet is exaggerating things a lot. RC, airsoft etc. communities are paranoid, and videos of batteries exploding are a lot more interesting that videos of batteries working normally.

>>I develop rolandic epilepsy.
>>in the hospital for a week getting tests
>>due to seizures and flashing lights I have to give up all of my consoles and games.

that was actually GOD telling you to do something worthwhile with your free time but you didnt listen you degenerate gaymerfag

Attached: 1526728060495.gif (200x200, 524K)

Miss
You don't still play and collect them?

And plug in re-charger is better than batteries

The AA battery market? The one you buy at gas stations? Then you'll need some sources, because I don't recall seeing people carrying cameras, gameboys, mp3 players and battery toys everywhere like they used to 10 years ago.

>something worthwhile
Like tinkering with loonix all day? That's not better than playing games no stop.

a scam

What I miss is getting weeks of play time out of a single charge on a Game Boy.

The Game Gear with its bright color screen looked awesome, but you could get maybe 5-6 hours from 6 AA Duracells or 3 hours from the store brand. And none of the fucking titles had savegames.

That was Segas entire thing desu. Be as attractive as possible for a 10 minute store demo, and once you're out the door you can go fuck yourself.

I'd have to agree. I'm actually wondering how hard it would be to make a replacement back for an old MP3 player I have with a 3D printer to make it run off AAA batteries or similar and if it would be durable.

Why.
Can't.
I.
Have.
Both?

Well guess why I stopped being a catholic faggot? Because god wasnt doing dick all even when I quit. So I said fuck god, im going to live my life the way I want to.

No.
My SPs screen has worked for 12 years but recently it has started to burn in. Should I get a screen replacement or upgrade to a Micro?

Attached: 1491910091023.png (449x517, 83K)

>Well guess why I stopped paying taxes faggot? Because the government wasnt doing dick all even when I quit. So I said fuck the government, im going to live my life the way I want to.

What could go wrong?

Get a DS Lite, they're like $40, play GBA games and DS games

>upgrade
>micro
Micros are a meme

Don't group me with those brainless faggots.

Did anyone else use their GBA as a battery tester?