Is buying one of these and upgrading it a meme or is it worth it?

Is buying one of these and upgrading it a meme or is it worth it?

Attached: optiplex.jpg (450x360, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/ZDQYdX
youtube.com/watch?v=M-UdSFRXovk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>dell
Never. go and get an hp z series workstation. typically has either an i5 or a/2 xeons in them depending on what you get

Depends, as always, on price and use case.

$140 with an i5-3570, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, and 120GB SSD. Would be installing a cheap GPU and using it for light gaming and Linux shit.

I almost stole one of these from my old place of enrollment. I regret not taking it since it was just sitting on a shelf in the IT graveyard and no one knew why it was there.

buy a corsair C70

You might be happy with it, but it probably won't be able to play new games at decent settings for much longer. I personally wouldn't pay that much for a computer like this.

An i5-3570 can easily run nearly any AAA game paired with a mid-range GPU at reasonable settings. CPUs have not advanced very much in the past 5 years.

Rant incoming. I can't bring myself to give a shit about any current games. All of them are designed to extract money from your wallet at maximum efficiency. If I'm buying a $140 computer why would I spend $80 every few months for whatever horseshit EA or Ubisoft are unloading at any given moment? It's disturbing how many people build $1500 computers every couple of years chasing every fad just to run poorly optimized shovelware. All of my games an fine on a Core 2 Quad with 3GB RAM. I would have happily kept using the computer but it was in poor shape and I wanted something nicer.

You're better than that Jamal

do it

Bullshit it can run Shadow of War at 1080p60 with a 1060 3GB

>has to resort to racism to justify not stealing

You're paying forty bucks too much. Be patient when buying shit used off ebay. There is always a better deal around the corner.

I paid $150 for mine. Only difference is it's an i5-4570 with a 1TB HDD and no SSD. I'm pretty happy with it and yours might be a better deal. Still waiting for gpu prices to fall a bit, but the igpu works for the stuff I play right now. FYI unless your graphics card doesn't need a power cable, you're going to have to change the psu and buy a psu adapter because of the non-standard motherboard.

Attached: optiyes-1337-gaming.png (501x869, 426K)

I did this. I got one with a second generation Core i3 and put a lower-end video card in it. It did surprisingly well.

The videocard was a GT740 with 2GB of VRAM, the PC had 4GB of DDR3 RAM (I wasted £60 on another 4GB stick but the PC wouldn't recognise it even though it had the same specs as the installed RAM)

I managed to complete GTAV on it but with a lot of stuttering that meant the game wasn't very enjoyable (I had to edit an ini file to reduce the graphics options even further than the game ususally allows). Resident Evil 7 also played surprisingly well, the biggest issue was that the game would keep taking more and more RAM and filling up the 4GB, so I'd have to close the game and restart every hour or so (I think I also had to use the rendering option that rendered the game interlaced).

So yeah, the biggest issue is RAM. 4GB just isn't enough, these days (even for web browsing it isn't enough). If you can find one with at least 8GB you should be fine (there's the risk that new RAM won't work correctly with the old RAM, as happened with me). Also, try to get a Core i5 specced one, two physical cores also aren't enough, these days.

You also might want to look into, as an alternative, building a cheap AM4 PC for yourself. A Ryzen APU (APUs have built-in graphics that you can use until you get a dedicated card) costs about $100, a motherboard about $80, a power supply about $60 and a case about $60.

I'm drunk so sorry if this comment is barely coherent.

this, 2560x1080 with a gtx 1060 3g easily gets 80+ in several games.
that i5 3570 is fine, but get 16gb ram at least.

I actually have this setup currently in a different machine. No GPU, just using the integrated graphics. I'm also building a PC right now.
It's not sufficient at all for modern gaming and was only barely sufficient when I got it a few years ago. Linux shit is just fine. I use linux on it myself. But the fact that I'm binning the whole system (minus the drives) should tell you a lot.
If by light gaming you mean TF2 and L4D2, then yeah it will get you by at high settings and 1080p. You can run heavier games like GTA V in a 1024x768 window at lowest possible settings and expect 30fps. Fallout 4 doesn't run at all. Far Cry 4 runs in an 800x600 window, lowest possible settings, at 23fps.
Adding a dedicated card would boost performance but will likely be bottlenecked by the CPU, which begs the question of why even bother with something like a 1060.

I got a tower with those specs for free in work, put an extra 8GB of ram in it along with a 1050ti. It plays everything, at 1080p mind you but it worked a treat for me when I was broke

I have an optiplex 9010 sff, bought it for 75 buckes, got a 377k for about 30 bucks from a junk store, and there in a 1050ti. i had a 120 ssd and 2 512 ssds. shits banging. i have it set up with steam bpm as windows shell. runs awesome

If you want to spend less than 400-500 dollars on a system then yes. It helps if you have some parts beforehand to get away with something budget friendly though. Once you get up around 500 spent you might as well have built a new rig though. Memory and GPU prices have made the used market pretty good atm.

I personally picked up some i7-4770 workstations they all had 16GB ram and 1TB HDD's. I ended up getting them for $160 a piece off ebay. PSU's in them were 400w and had 6/8 pin connectors. Dell workstations. They originally came with Nvidia GTS250 or 260 cards can't recall. Pop in a new lower end GPU after checking power consumption. One of them I used a HD 7950 3GB card I had laying around. I changed the PSU out to a seasonic I had again laying around just in case. The others I just used GT 730 2GB GDDR5 the MSI's since the GPU market is fucked atm. Used market is also fucked atm too.

You really only need 8 for gaming

yea 8 would be minimum these days 16 if you can find it

Yes.
Love mine.
Picked up a 990 with i7 quad core and 16gb of ram. Slapped a video card, SSD and a sound card in it. I have no complaints and zero regrets. Best thing about them that I like besides solid performance is 100% compatible with every Windows OS from XP to 10. Best god dammed deal on PCs out there these days.

I paid $170 and got one with an i7 3770 paired with 8GB of RAM

It will run alright but will bottleneck quite quickly. I have a 2500k and it hits full usage on newer titles easily (GTA V, Battlefield 1, etc.) Hits a single-core bottleneck on Starcraft II and Battlefield 1 (will drop on 64 player servers to below 60) at 3.7ghz in SCII it will drop into low 20-30's in co-op missions/custom games, at 4.2ghz it just barely keeps up and hits high 40's to low 50's in intense situations which offers a major boost. The 3570 will have limited overclock room if any, but for older titles it should still suffice. As a hold-over PC it would work, but saving for a newer system like a Ryzen (likely best bang-for-buck) or intel (for slightly higher IPC/clocks but a major price-premium) would be advisable. But if you play most simpler AAA games it should suffice, or just older titles. As for overall specs, my system is a 2500k/16gb of ram and a GTX 670, so while i'm equally CPU and GPU bottlenecked, there's times where my 2500k bottlenecks my 670 in newer games and i have to overclock it quite a bit (to around 4.4-4.6Ghz which even then doesn't always totally alleviate the bottleneck), so I can only imagine how a 3570 will bottleneck anything even remotely more powerful than my 670.

I'd save up $250 more for this or try to get some of the parts used
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZDQYdX
youtube.com/watch?v=M-UdSFRXovk

>change the psu

There's nothing special with GPU power cable, it's just +12V line?

There's some fuckup with revision versions on Z workstations eg. it's not as easy as it seems.

bought a z210 with an i5-2500 in it and 4 gigs of ram. slapped two 2Gb stick in in it, and put a 750ti ftw edition in it

>$140 with an i5-3570, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, and 120GB SSD. Would be installing a cheap GPU and using it for light gaming and Linux shit.
$140
How the fuck is this possible when my goddam mouse literally cost more thanthis and my keyboard cost $250? MY GPU Nvidia Titan V cost almost $4k. Either I'm doing wrong user or you re getting completely fucked. Or some combination of both.

Is it cool if I get the small form factor z workstation? I'm not able to find full tower

look for cmt. sff is unlikely to be big enough for any decent gpu, and probably doesn't have a gpu 6pin. or enough watts for that matter

I don't need GayPU at all. Its for a friend who exclusively does fpga design and simulation. Hp z220 i7 3770 16gb price alrighty, 300 burgers.
I'm mostly concerned with cooling and build quality

It's like you learned nothing from buying a Thinkpad user

build quality is fuckin mint on these things desu cooling is also decent. if possible find an aftermarket cooler.

Ayy thanks user, I'm pulling the trigger then

This is from Microcenter isn't it? Just because of the specs, I seen that they have these and been doing SSD + HDDs on them

just save for a couple months and buy something decent my dude