Can someone here can explain me, specifically and clearly.. what is so good about this distribution?

can someone here can explain me, specifically and clearly.. what is so good about this distribution?

Attached: Gentoo.png (400x400, 82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Without_systemd
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Optional:_Using_systemd_as_the_init_system
funroll-loops.teurasporsaat.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The smug sense of superiority you get by using it.

Why don't you install it and find out?

Disclaimer: I haven't actually used it personally.
People seem to like it because it compiles all your programs from source, which provides a lot of fun little advantages. For one, you can compile stuff specifically to your processor, which improves performance. The other advantage is that you can use USE flags to compile stuff without certain functionality. Does a program have KDE or GNOME integration but you don't use either? block those USE flags so that part doesn't get compiled in the first place, reducing bloat.

gentoo became bad once they positioned systemd as the primary init of choice

systemd is not the default init system you mongoloid

>>compiles all your programs from >>source
you can do it with pointers how its differs?

How so? You have to specifically pick a systemd profile, otherwise you get OpenRC.

yes
it
is

prove it

Lol I just reinstalled it fresh like a week ago and no it's not?

Attached: 1512389242577.png (788x1000, 236K)

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_Without_systemd

there's a reason this article exists and takes such a "why wouldn't you just use systemd" tone. regardless, if I cared enough i would just use funtoo or whatever

They are the fastest underwater swimming penguins, reaching speeds of 36 km/h (22 mph).

Gentoo is my distro of choice because as > says, when you compile your programs it is compiled specifically for your processor making it run faster on your machine. Also USE flags are really nice so that you only get what you want out of packages and reducing the amount of bloat you get.

>Programs are faster and you save memory

you are a fucking idiot
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Optional:_Using_systemd_as_the_init_system
>The remainder of the Gentoo Handbook focuses on OpenRC (the traditional Gentoo init system) as the default init system. If systemd is desired or if the reader will be installing GNOME 3.8 and later (which requires systemd), please consult the systemd article.

I'm forgot to mention the amazing documentation they have on their website and the community is helpful and cozy -w-

(unlike another distro that starts with A and ends with rch)

funroll-loops.teurasporsaat.org/

1. You can set USE flags to compile only the stuff you want
2. You can easily tell portage to apply your own patches to every program. Portage is by far the easiest package manager to maintain custom builds of programs with
3. Placebo performance improvements
4. You look really smart when you're using it

so you say that as a resource management system it's the best?

minimal enough to install on a celeron 335 based pc, takes 3 millenia though

This and you can decide exactly how it should be compiled with different flags, like if you compile for performance or fast compile time

It's as minimal as you can get and it's got a great community and wiki.