/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for new people (unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=bKm1ko_hb98

>Thread theme (unironically):
youtube.com/watch?v=eVTXPUF4Oz4

>Used watch guide:
pastebin.com/f44aJKy2

> Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

> watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/Rc77hhXV

Previous thread:

Attached: IMG_1422.jpg (704x704, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/6CNO8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for watches with matching beads.

Attached: IMG_2534.jpg (800x800, 155K)

Second for Xerxes tier wrist game.

Attached: Screen-Shot-2015-01-05-at-5.11.59-PM.png (852x1218, 879K)

If seagull-user is in this thread, I am looking to buy on long island watches... Hopefully it will be good

not today mohammed.

Attached: WT thing.jpg (994x800, 235K)

A couple possibilities. As you've probably seen, the prices vary depending on where you buy it. Furthermore, there are different combinations of the body of the watch depending on the supplier and the seller.

The most important thing you have to figure out is which version of the watch do you want.

1) Plastic crystal vs. sapphire crystal?
2) solid back vs. display back?
3) signed crown vs. unsigned?
4) '21' vs. '19' jewels listed on the face?
5) 37.5mm case vs. 42mm case?

Finally, there is a '3rd' option if you were to buy from HKED direct from Hong Kong; he cases the movements for custom designs as well as designs that are from the other prototype watches in the museum (hence the occasional picture of a 'panda' dial 37.5mm).

Furthermore, the potential quality of the watch depends on who cases it, and also not every seller checks the watch for perfect functioning before selling. Then, if you add in cost of shipping or whatever, you finally figure out the complexity of this issue (as you could buy from longislandwatch, watchunique, HKED, and poljot24).

So...what say you? What design do you want first, and then it'll be easy to narrow it down (as long as you're willing to be flexible on price).

Attached: 42 and 37.jpg (1920x1280, 1010K)

bootin' for /wt/'s bead's and things as well

Attached: WT beads and thangs.jpg (1536x2048, 398K)

For a second I thought you were standing horizontally on a fence.

Attached: IMG_1055.jpg (2112x1578, 775K)

Price isn't really an issue, but I would prefer the open caseback, and I haven't really decided whether I want the panda or not, my question now is does long island watches spurce and check the watcges carefully, and I noticed that there is a year warranty from long island too..

Attached: IMG_1008.jpg (2676x1960, 3M)

also the 37.5 mm

welcome to /wt/'s watch n bead, formerly...

Red pill me on Oris and Orient

orient is seiko but with sapphire

Good value

Attached: IMG_20180307_210840.jpg (2000x1500, 1.18M)

If only that watch was a few mm smaller...

I don't know about longislandwatches. They have a large internet presence, and I'd guess they have a good policy regarding return and repair. I think you can e-mail them about whether or not they check the movements/casing before they ship it off to you. I'd assume you'd be safe ordering from them.

I assume this is you. The one from longislandwatch seems to have everything you'd like. Be aware that the Panda dialed ones from longislandwatch are the 42mm versions. Initially I had thought seriously about getting the 42mm version of the original champagne dial, but what made me say 'NO' is the fact that the minute hands do not reach the minute dashes on the face. It's a minor detail, but the more I thought about it, the more I realised that the proportions of the 42mm versions were all 'off' to my eye...whereas the 37.5mm version was 'perfect' to my eye.

HKED from Hong Kong sells panda dials that are the correct size (37.5mm), but you have to e-mail him directly to find out what he has in stock and how much it costs. To find his e-mail address, you have to go to the WUS forum (watchuseek) on the watch...it's hundreds of pages long, but you'll get the most unbiased review of this watch you'll ever get on the net.

I almost ordered one from him, and he has an excellent reputation...but in the end I wanted one that was close to the original but for the best price, so I got mine from watchunique. It was a concession of sorts, but it worked out in the end.

Beyond all this, are there specific things that worry you, or do you simply need a gentle nudge towards 'BUY IT NOW!!!!' ?

Attached: P2140114.jpg (4288x3216, 2.98M)

Uh, most of their models have mineral crystals

I think I just needed the gentle nudge, I really love the style, and the size is just perfect for me (maybe a little small) at 37.5 mm. I also am looking forward to the domed crystal, as it just looks perfect to me

Then be aware, there are a few things to consider (and I'll apologise in advance for spelling and grammar....I'm now happily drunk, hence why I'm normally referred to as 'drunkseagullanon') Today was a good fucking day...

So, a few things:

1) The watch rides high. See pic. It's a thick watch for its diameter, and at least with something like the Omega Speedmaster you have the tachymeter bezel to make it seem larger...but with this watch there is no bezel really, so it's like wearing a Mentos.

2) As I'd recommend for anyone, make sure you have access to a trusted watchmaker in case you receive a watch that needs a minor adjustment. Mine had a small problem with the chronograph (the wheels were not deep enough in each other) which caused the chronograph second hand to stutter sometimes as it went around. I took it to my watch-man, and he adjusted it for 20$, and gave it a look over to make sure nothing else was wrong (and also put it on his time-ographer thing, only to exclaim 'Holy Shit....that's good'). So, I was 'lucky'.

But as you'll see on the WUS forum, it's about a 1-in-10 shot of getting a watch that malfunctions in general. If you buy from HKED he'll repair it or replace it for free, as he checks and regulates all his watches before sending them off. With Watchunique I have NO idea what they do, and the same with Longislandwatch.

What I can tell you is that the movement is a sound movement...it is the Venus 175 movement, and it was created using the same tooling as the original, which was relied upon by major watchmakers in the 1950s and 60s.

In the end, the issue of failure comes from what happens between manufacture of the movement in China and when it's cased inside the watch. HKED cases his own watches and regulates them after casing, which is ideal, therefore his have the lowest failure rates that we know of. As for watchunique, longislandwatches, and poljot24, I have no idea, but WUS forum might have some exemplars.

Attached: Sitting high.jpg (1280x720, 145K)

Thanks so much for the advice buddy : )

DISRUPTING

Attached: Screenshot_20180611-210652_Facebook.jpg (1439x1865, 462K)

imgur.com/a/6CNO8

:^)

Attached: xNw6BIP.jpg (1000x600, 111K)

Not bad. Not my favorite but pretty good

Attached: IMG_20180610_105334_Bokeh.jpg (3456x4608, 2.48M)

No problem. It's because of this 'forum' that I learned of the existence of this watch. Someone had posted a compilation photo of their watches, nearly all of them looked Chinese in origin, but this one stuck out heavily to me. Then I was amazed as hell to find out that not only was it a column-wheel chronograph, but it was within my budget. So I nearly bought the first one that came up on a google search....

Then I stumbled on the WUS forum, and spent 3 hours (in the middle of the night, of course) absorbing everything I could about the watch, all the time getting more excited but also more worried that the dealers would run out of the model I really wanted (acrylic dome, transparent back, 37.5mm), so I eventually pulled the trigger around 4am....

I don't regret it at all, and it's also served an interesting purpose which I'd initially bought it for anyway. In short, I've always wanted an Omega Speedmaster, but I've never owned a manual-wind watch, or a mechanical chronograph. So, this was a good 'test' to see how this sort of thing works in the real world (i.e. I have to think about winding it, or I can enjoy a chronograph that isn't digital).

The bottom line is that for whatever reason, the 'mystique' that the mechanical chronograph held to me is now gone entirely, and I'm learning of the benefits/drawbacks of a manual-wind watch. Furthermore, I have NO desire to get a speedy anymore, even though I still believe it's the purest, best design for a mechanical chronograph to ever exist.

It's strange how our minds work....

Attached: P2140112.jpg (4288x3216, 2.78M)

Not really dude

Yeah for sure, I'll check in maybe by this weekend with a new seagull hopefully if I can find the right source!

Sorry, forgot one other thing.

The 42mm versions use 'mineral crystal', which is harder than plastic but softer than sapphire. Furthermore, with plastic you can buff out scratches with 'Polywatch', but with mineral crystal there is no way to repair it if it gets scratched. Another potential strike against the 42mm versions.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Good hunting.

Attached: Museum.jpg (900x900, 97K)

so its just seiko then

THE

BRAVE

he certainly looks gay enough to do well in this industry

Got this in the mail today. Any band ideas?

Attached: 81pH4Paj7zL._UX342_.jpg (342x342, 22K)

>so its just seiko then
No it's not. They make their own in house movements etc. They're not Seiko

their movements are manufactured by literally the same two companies (seiko instruments and seiko epson) all of which (including seiko and orient watches) exist under the umbrella of seiko group. the only independent part of the process is design

so

so aside from the actual watch case design, they are made and manufactured by the same people at the same factories

so

so

Don't use my shit

Attached: Screenshot_20180210-102932.jpg (1125x875, 437K)

so

Attached: Cartier-Rotonde-de-Cartier-Minute-Repeater-Mysterious-Double-Tourbillon-1.jpg (860x1177, 213K)

good night user

>leave for like 30 minutes
>the thread has been ruined by seikoposters

Attached: 1500734411410.jpg (250x250, 5K)

buy me a watch rich boy

>buys a watch that isn't rolex
Why do you even get it in the first place?

To be nice enough to wear for many years (decades) in many situations, and to tell the time.

don't want people to think of me as a cunt

He looks like Matt Damon in that movie where he plays an aids victim or whatever.

keep the original you fucking retard

Do modded seiko SKX's look good in person?

I find that anyone that mods theirs (i.e dome glass and changing the bezel ring to ceramic) takes photos in better lighting and are never really too close

SHITTING

Post your wrist game

Attached: 20180610_211510.jpg (2419x1358, 827K)

what are some good poorfag starter watches
>got given a casio edifice as a gift

I think you mastered wrist game.

Attached: IMG_20180610_120348__01.jpg (2222x2560, 1.83M)

Follow this guide.
The only major thing that changed is the Orient Ray/Mako which got an upgrade (ii version) and have now hacking/handwinding and good bezel action.

Attached: Poorfag_watch_guide_5.0.jpg (1600x4200, 1.92M)

what your opinion on steel/gold casio f91Ws

Also:
-Obris Morgan watches sadly aren't available anymore, idk about Lew & Huey
-Many will not consider Rodina, since it's proven that this brand makes Nomos fakes too.
-The new Orient Bambino should also have hacking and hw
-The only really good design of Bulova Precisionists is the Moon Pilot (which looks like a Speedmaster homage but has its own cool moon heritage)
-Parnis makes good homages of literally every popular design, even with sterile dials
-The Seiko SARB is discontinued, and will be likely be replaced with a worse product at the same price. Pick a SARB as long as you can; the Seiko Sumo/SBCM series is an equivalent diver's watch
-Consider Tough Solar/Multiband 6 G-Shocks if you want a """real tool watch""" and prefer functionality over form.
anyway what the hell is that perpetual calendar Tissot
They're really good for the price,are pretty popular and look good, but the case is made of plated plastic. Eventually the coating will wear out and look bad.
Also the stock bracelet will pull hairs off, but you can always swap it for a fabric strap.
The standard F-91w has a better quality/price ratio though

metallic paint is for fags

I've just got a lumed ceramic bezel insert and Strapcode super oyster on mine but I think it looks great.

Attached: 20180506_180341.jpg (2568x2563, 2.56M)

They are neither steel nor gold. If you want a steel Casio you must go vintage.

Attached: 20180526_153116.jpg (2536x2536, 2.58M)

>What the hell is that perpetual calendar Tissot
Its a clown watch.

Attached: 20170226_17.13.14.png (300x300, 169K)

whats the point of watches in 2018
everyone ive met who wears one is an onion loving hipster

my dad isn't an onion loving hipster

forgot to add old people

I'm not an onion loving hipster

>hating on onions
that shit is tasty

I'm not a hipster, I do like onions though.

Does it have 24h mode?

What are some watches with chinese/kanji dates?

The AK47 of watches.

Attached: s-SBBN031_a_1200x.jpg?v=1527562375.jpg (1200x900, 78K)

Nope, it does have a perpetual calendar that lasted until 2009 though.

submariner

JDM Seiko.

Just don't always confuse some of these j model pieces with JDM. Some of the j model pieces are actually meant for the arabic market, due to how those countries law dictate how goods should be labeled.

Okay.
You can make the days and months accurate again if you set the year to 1972, if I remember correctly. Google will help.

False, Amphibias don't have kanji date.

The amphibia is the 91/30 of wristwatches, not the AK.

>quartz
>ak47 of watches
no

Of course.
Quartz is still functionally relevant today, so are the AK's internals (gas operated, rotating bolt).

I don't agree with your opinion.

Attached: 1521011565220_0.jpg (651x768, 103K)

The amphibia is mechanical, which is functionally obsolete.
The 91/30's operating mechanism is bolt action, which is also functionally obsolete.

And both are crudely and cheaply made in Russia.

It makes perfect sense.

Whatever nerd, just kys.

(You)

Attached: 1527511164229.png (2514x668, 892K)

great its the 100th beaten to death meme doing the rounds again

More like

Attached: soypersons react to AK and AK of wristwatches.png (1937x505, 796K)

Just one autist forcing his meme.

I don't know why but /wt/ seems to have the highest concentration of autistic fuckwits of any general on Jow Forums.

so that makes 3/4 autists forcing shit memes round the clock

It's beautiful isn't it

Attached: Omega Aqua Terra co-axial master chronometer 8800 - 220.10.38.20.03.001.jpg (3543x2480, 1.37M)

what do you call the outer edge of the dial with the tiny applied minute markers?

are we posting watches worn by ASOLUTE wankers?

It is printed not applied. It is called the minute track by most.

I spent all my money on my watch
now all I have left to eat is tasty onions

oh, they look very three dimensional to me

No, we're posting beautiful watches.

Attached: Omega-Aqua-Terra-1.jpg (1690x1127, 287K)

AT is an alright watch I like a few of them. I would not gas it up as beautiful though and spam post about it on /wt/ like a loser though.

hes an omegawanker what do you expect, they know nothing about watches.

Just because I'm not posting a patek then you are going to call me a loser?