The Future of Gaming Consoles

posting on Jow Forums because you guys are smarter and /v/ is in E3 mode

Why don't Sony and MS band together to ask AMD to build console hardware that they can run their own OSes on top of that's identical so that the consumer doesn't have to buy two of basically the same exact box?

The architecture of modern consoles is so similar that there's no point in having so many fucking boxes underneath your TV.

Sony and MS could easily build their own OSes and AMD could build a console that lets people dual-boot and play whatever they want from whichever publisher.

Devs would have a more well-defined hardware to develop against, Publishers can more easily absorb developers due to lack of talent fragmentation and AMD has a better incentive to build better silicon each generation.

The biggest thing is that neither Sony nor MS would have to deal with putting up a shitload of cash every time they want to develop a new console, instead they can just put their best teams on each aspect of the console (MS has a great thermal engineering team, see Xbone X, Sony has Blu-Ray, etc.) and AMD can work with TSMC or whatever other fab to actually get the thing produced.

Each company could maintain the production of their own controllers and sell them separately and you could buy branded versions of each console preloaded with OS/games and most normies would be none the wiser while everybody else is able to consolidate their console gaming to one box and spend more money on GAMES.

What am I missing here? Why hasn't this already happened yet?

Attached: same_shit_different_company.png (640x767, 430K)

tl;dr

they dont want to share profits on one console
also this already happened
multiple times, and it ended in failure every single time
why do you think the playstation exists.
it was sony and nintendo making a CD add-on for the SNES, the deal fell apart and then sony was so pissed with the amount of R&D they wasted that they went to market anyway, and now nintendo makes irrelevant trash for onions slurping manchildren.

After the Playstation E3 tonight, i'm pretty sure console fags are on suicide watch

>Sony and MS band together to ask AMD to build console hardware that they can run their own OSes on top
Because they both will likely use some various form of *nix, but it is the API's which will make them different and incompatible. The microsoft console will use proprietary API's that are shared with windows
>Devs would have a more well-defined hardware to develop against
they have had the same or similar hardware the past few generations, with minor variation. Although, you seem to be confused that the hardware sells the consoles, when really it is the games that sell the consoles. It is against the console manufacturers interest to have all titles work on both systems and there is currently an arms race on acquiring exclusive content producers for both sony and msoft
>neither Sony nor MS would have to deal with putting up a shitload of cash every time they want to develop a new console
they would lose money on the consoles regardless because all the profits come from selling software
>What am I missing here? Why hasn't this already happened yet?
because what's best for sony and microsoft is not the best for consumers

>smarter
Don't bet on it.
Also it's completely against their interests. Slight differentiations mean people who have enough money and/or autism will buy 2 consoles instead of one. The "console war" marketing also brings more media hype. The total number of consoles sold between the two companies is higher with the way they're currently doing things.
Also saging because not very Jow Forums related.

>they would lose money on the consoles regardless because all the profits come from selling software

I guess that's what confuses me, why wouldn't they want to spend less on developing the hardware so that they could better compete on software since that's the only differentiating factor nowadays?

Both companies would get ROI faster in the same way that Subaru and Toyota did by co-developing the BRZ/FRS pair. If both companies made a spec that both OSes would work on wouldn't AMD achieve a better economy of scale in production and be able to reduce the price further?

I guess being on PC just makes me think differently about this stuff now, as a species I feel like we should be generalizing hardware as much as possible in the consumer space to lower development costs so that we don't have to generate as much plastic and silicon that people are eventually going to throw out anyway. I guess that would blur the line too much in terms of console generations and break that well-defined development cycle though.

The Wii and switch have both sold extremely well.

Because they want to lock people into the ecosystem. The console hardware is the best way to do this.

this makes sense

pretty dirty

To elaborate, the majority of console development costs are from the software that makes the console work. The hardware dev team is hardly more expensive than Dell or HP making an office computer. You're falling for some serious PR stunt if you think DEVELOPING THE HARDWARE is of any real difficulty. Look at the xbox and how they were sucking each other off over making a fucking vapor chamber like one that comes on a 150 USD GPU from China. They want software capability to be different, and this ends up in most the hardware difference between the two. They will always use the same basic CPU+GPU arch for the next few generations, but they are terrified at the idea of not locking you into their ecosystem. Also, they absorb the manufacturing costs on each unit, and the cost to "develop" that office PC equivalent plays very little into losing hundreds on each of the 70 million+ units they'll ship.

reading this is pretty depressing, makes me realize these people don't really like competition and are basically anti-consumer

IMO we need more open-source hardware and I think the majority of these people's effort should be going into creating content and considering what I just watched in the E3 showings, the AAA studios are just playing games of cat and mice with publishers and console companies and shutting themselves out of entire markets of people they could be making money off of through DLC and shit.

Maybe that's why people still like Nintendo so much, there's a lot less political bullshit when you make your own console in a completely separate section of the market.

Once game-streaming finally takes off for people with decent internet connections I think things are gonna get shaken up a bit and even normies will start to question the current paradigm of console production.

We have four boards for video games and yet you decide to spread this shit here. Just fuck off.

this is the best thread that i've seen for a while
and it about technology not games so fuck off

You stupid gamers need to stay on your own boards.

and stay there

Attached: stop.png (386x318, 125K)

>Sony and MS band together to ask AMD to build console hardware that they can run their own OSes on top of that's identical
That's exactly what they don't want dumbass
>MS has a great thermal engineering team
Yeah, the 360 was great :^)

Mostly security. Sony has absolutely no fucking idea what they're doing, whereas MS has had a target on its back for decades and has produced the most secure hardware on the market.

This goes even further when you go into online systems and all the verification and encryption these systems implement to verify systems are secure and only running authorized executables when connecting to their online networks.

>t. former console modder

Attached: 1513587295995.png (500x520, 310K)

What about having identical hardware means you're any less "locked-in"?

You're still going to buy the exclusives, this just means you'll buy more of them because you don't have to spend the extra money on another console.

Couldn't they co-design something with a TPM and agree on signed UEFI firmware with an escrowed root key? It just doesn't sound that hard, they both run hypervisors and while MS has way more experience with it, it would be better for the entire industry to focus on making one platform secure instead of leaving it to each company to try and do it on their own.

Sounds like Sony has more incentive to do something like this than MS do based on how you describe the holes in their system. But wouldn't AMD have more of an incentive to make secure hardware so that Sony doesn't go back to something weird like the Cell?

The security systems the Xbox 360 implemented was such that each system had a unique encrypted keyvault signed by MS's private keys and this is constantly verified while you're connected to their network to detect hackers. Once detected, that console gets flagged and further investigated for hacking, and from there, that keyvault gets permanently banned from the network. There is NO WAY to connect to their network without it, and the only way to "unban" the console is to mod extract and then transplant one from a doner console, making it entirely pointless as you could just use the new modded console.
No idea what security on XBO is like since I got a real job and gave up modding, but I'd guess it's even more secure now.

People have been playing and hacking on PS3 for forever with no consequence and unbanning themselves easily.

Yes, they could jointly develop a shared system, but they have zero incentive to. They don't want to co-exist, they want to crush the competition out of the market.

>You're still going to buy the exclusives
But they only want you to buy their exclusives?
This would work for the companies if they expected everyone to already purchase both consoles, and for their market share to remain 50/50.
They both want the whole market to themselves. You're also looking a bit short on the whole matter since the consoles themselves are used to make an exclusive platform. The hardware is already shared with regular computers. If they wanted to go full software and make a hardware standard they would release it all for PC and ditch the consoles. Alas, microsoft owns the software for PC, so that isn't in Sony's best interests.

Fuck off back to /v where you belong.

Why not make everything for PC.
That would be still better idea than yours.

Attached: 1497526497592.jpg (1200x533, 86K)

well, there are a lot of onion slurping manchildren. not that it's a bad thing in itself.

Ps5 pro will be Zen 3 7nm 8 core 16 thread at low 3.x ghz
Most likely a cut down Vega 7nm on die interconnect
16gb of ddr4 5000+
Built in ssd
Then in typical Sony fashion they will get btfo by the xbox two x a year after in 2022 and by then 7nm mcm quad-oct core gpus will be a thing in the pc market.
At least it's not as bad as the poolaris lite apu crap we have now

They're all gonna be APU's user. You'd have to be smoking crack to think otherwise.

Nah I mean Ryzen 3 apus m8

The gt86 is like 4000€ more expensive than the bzr where I live.

Actually, this already happened, and it was called MSX

Attached: msx.jpg (727x320, 119K)