What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Attached: 640px-IBM_logo.svg.png (640x256, 4K)

diversity quotas

This. Liberal bullshit that ruins businesses

They ditched consumer hardware in favor of corporate lockins and cloud garbage. Now they're the literally who of tech giants, and people only give two hot shits about POWER chips because Raptor Engineering is sticking them in desktops for a reasonable alternative to Intel and AMD spyware garbage.

IBM needs to start making POWER chips for desktops and laptops again. Even dual or quad core chips at 2-3GHz with decent caches would be great. Start handing out free workstations to whichever open source devs port X amount of software. But no, they'll die a slow death like SGI after they ditched their workstations in favor of Itanium server trash. Eventually IBM will become patent trolls.

>will become patent trolls.

What the fuck do they even do anymore?

they write shittty software that doesnt work properly

AFAIK servers

Sounds to me similar with Oracle

Nothing? They are still massive and are doing well.

Produce cash systems for stores.

literally invent CPUs, and solve quantum tunneling at 5nm

imagine basing your opinion of a tech company on weather or not you can buy their fucking products at best buy

actual fucking brainlets ITT

well ginni rometty sure hasn't helped

This. It was already over once they let women and shitskins in.

>They ditched consumer hardware in favor of corporate lockins and cloud garbage.
>this is somehow wrong

so you hate profits

there is so much retard in this post I don't even know where to start

>we're not selling hardware anymore, we're selling services

Attached: Screen_Shot_2017-06-09_at_4.34.34_PM.jpg (600x566, 31K)

Cloud meme, woman CEO, destruction of their corporate values. They've been acquiring more and more cloud meme businesses and selling off every single hardware division they have.

They sold off that division to GloFo. They still have a deal but it's no longer directly managed by IBM.

>>They ditched consumer hardware in favor of corporate lockins and cloud garbage.
The consumer stuff was never profitable. Until 1980 IBM had been a mainframe company with a 90% gross profit margin on its products.
After seeing Apple rake in millions the Innovators nagged the board into getting into PCs. PCs became a commodity. IBM had no processes for selling commodity products. Sure, the customers were demanding PCs and paying top dollar, but the internal systems and the relationships between the dev labs and the plants and the marketing regions were underdeveloped. The mainframe environment grew over half a century. The PC took 12 months.

Does anyone here work on mainframes? I've been playing around with a S/360 emulator on PC and they're fucking whack.

Attached: ibm_z.jpg (1672x1254, 123K)

It's a real shame too. They were in a prime position to be selling the "one computer per desk" to the enterprise market. They only had to keep it together and develop the tech until the enterprise caught up. Now they support Macs.

The M used to stand for Machines

They hemorrhaged IP, product lines, and human talent for short term black ink. I don't hate profits but the long term trajectory of the company was mortgaged as early as the 90s.

They made a nice font.

Attached: Screenshot_20180612-114624.png (1080x1920, 102K)

Became a business organisation over an engineering organisation.

wut? in the nineties they went for the long transition into a service company, similar as today and many times before

IBM is not about short terms

>They were in a prime position to be selling the "one computer per desk" to the enterprise market.
they have a lot more profitable business, invisible to brainlets

I have a fundamental issue with the "muh highly reliable" concept if mainframes.
Have you ever worked with any popular vendors mass produced software? Bug ridden bullshit.
Now take that concept, and imagine there are like ten mainframes in the wild that can actually run said software, and think about how that's going to impact on bug finding.

You

>I have a fundamental misconception with the 6 sigma reliability of mainframes.
There are many, many times more mainframes than you apparently imagine.
Banks and insurance companies buy them in 6-packs. And they buy back-up sets for their emergency sites. Off-site copies of your data is one thing but off-site replication of your floor systems is another.
Your pissy little toy PC would melt if required to do 1% of what the mainframes of this world do.
How many ATMs could you run? Typically, banks have 100s if not 1000s.
You are entitled to your opinions. But that's all they are, opinions.

crypto chains for banks to replace current bank wires

Nice font.

Attached: plex.png (906x820, 79K)

Ibm shill detected

The r looks fucked somehow.

>Have you ever worked with any popular vendors mass produced software? Bug ridden bullshit.
>implying that most mainframes run modern software and not some COBOL from the 60s running on an S/360 or S/370 emulator
do you even mainframe

An ugly truth

>Have you ever worked with any popular vendors mass produced software? Bug ridden bullshit.
More important, has anyone here ever worked with IBMs office software...

They helped the nazis kill jews in ww2. God punished them.

My Former VP worked at IBM before leaving the company he worked at IBM for 15 years as a director. I have to say he was the biggest moron I have ever met. The man got pissed at me and my team for correcting him when he said "When you run a trace route it tells you the EXACT PORT on the router, switch, firewall, etc that it comes out of" he got pissed off at us and proceeded to yell at us and demand our manager administratively discipline us for correcting him. My manager luckily told him "He was right you were wrong I am not going to punish my employee for correcting your mistake". The other IBM guy I know was just a normal employee and worked for IBM for about 6 years he is the laziest piece of shit I have ever met it is impossible to get him to do ANY WORK. After meeting and working with a former IBM employee and a former IBM director I have to say I can fully understand WHY they are failing it's because they are filled with leaches. IBM was a great company but suffers from the issue that most companies have being they hire a ton of people that get up in rank that are all useless then when the company conducts layoffs the lazy people ensure the hard working ones are removed in order to protect the high up positions and high up paychecks they have.

Nothing went wrong.