Ethernet switch

Tech noob question, pls no hate. Tried to google but didn't find anything for my precise question. I looked up info on switches, but everyone was just talking about using them to hook up more stuff to a router.

In my flat, I currently have a setup where the incoming ethernet runs into my router, and from the router to another socket that connects directly to my bedroom, where my desktop is.

However, I'd like to move the router away from the primary ethernet socket to a different room for better wifi. The problem: if I do that, I have to hook up the incoming connection to the room I want the router to be in. However, from there I can no longer connect a cable from the router to my bedroom in the connection box.

So the question: is it possible for me to hook up the incoming connection to an ethernet switch, then connect the switch to both the room housing my router and my bedroom, thus putting up a nice wifi where I want it and still running the wired connection to my desktop?

Sorry if this is confusing, I tried my best to make it clear.

Attached: dogpeek.jpg (500x581, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/21668/hgvbf/TP-LINK-TL-SG105-v2-5-porttinen-kytkin
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

draw a sketch of the layout you have and the one you want

Yes, however your bedroom socket will be outside the LAN of the router, also assuming it's just a router and not a combined modem/router

the incoming ethernet

25309 hours in MS Paint

It's an ASUS RT-AC51U

Attached: connections.png (1452x635, 21K)

Not coaxial, RJ45 I guess? Not sure. Wireless router.

Just to clarify, you live in an apartment or equivalent and you could just plug your PC in to the internet socket and it would work? If this is the case then the switch will fulfill your needs, assuming your ISP isn't autistic about the amount of IPs they hand out or something

Here's the box. Currently yellow connects router to internet, grey passes it from router to bedroom.

Attached: 20180612_154135.jpg (4032x3024, 3.43M)

Yes exactly, it also works if I just run it straight into my bedroom and the router is there only for wireless.

And yeah, thanks, that's what I figured, just wanted to double check.

I don't really care about having the desktop on the LAN.

Yes, as long as the router gets a signal and its connected to a switch anything else connected to the switch will work.

Okay, thanks. I'll look into setting one of those up, then.

Pretty sure you need the internet cable connected to the router, then the router connects to the switch.
Internet>router>switch>anything else connected to the switch

He doesn't need the router for modulation. The apartment building has a cable modem somewhere from where its distributed to the apartments t. also binland

You probably don't need a router at all. Just plug everything into the switch. What switch are you using?
Router don't do modulation. Modem does.

I want the router for WLAN, that's the whole point of moving it currently, to get a better spread for the network.

I don't have a switch yet, I'm thinking of getting one to solve this problem.

Just to answer your question. You can have your internet cable plug into a switch. Then have your wireless router plug into the switch.

Yep, that's what I gathered, thanks. Just need to go buy a switch, then.

I've worked in units just like yours op. Ideally I would put the router in that access panel and hook each connection up to a different port on the router, that way any port in your place will work fine. If you're having shitty wifi then you should mess with the channels your router broadcasts on, you want an unpopulated channel. Use the 5ghz band, it's usually way less populated. You could put a switch in the access panel there but you'd have to create some vlans to make sure your router is the only device receiving the public IP. It's easier to avoid the switch and patch the feed coming into your unit directly to the jack you want the router to be at. Or like I said put the router in this panel.

Attached: connect-port-this-whole-network-is-fucked-man-mb-32ipz.jpg (640x636, 43K)

You MUST have your desktop on the lan. Your ISP only assigns you one public IP, usually you have to pay for extra. That IP is meant to be for your router since it can serve up as many internal IPs as necessary.

Wrong. You would need VLANs in place to make sure the router always gets the public IP from the ISP. If another device takes that IP first(very likely if the feed is going into a flat switch with a bunch of devices) then the router won't function at all and only the device that received the public IP would have any connectivity at all.

This only works if nothing else is plugged into the switch, and at that point he can just patch the feed into whichever outlet he wants.

So no go with the switch?
>It's easier to avoid the switch and patch the feed coming into your unit directly to the jack you want the router to be at.
If I do that, I can't run it back into any other rooms. These only go one way.
>Or like I said put the router in this panel.
It's kind of a retarded place for it, the panel is in the closet of my living room. I want the router in the entrance hall, which is in the middle of the apartment and connects to every room. As it is, the wireless has to go through some thick brick walls.

ISP here provides more than one public address.
OP what you need is a switch with layer 3 functionally. You may look up ethernet router, something like RB750, that provides NAT to translates a public address into many private address.

Layer 3? Sorry, I have no past experience with switches so I don't know much about them. Just been looking at the verkkokauppa.com selection and some comparisons off google, but haven't run into that.

Would this do the job, do you reckon?
verkkokauppa.com/fi/product/21668/hgvbf/TP-LINK-TL-SG105-v2-5-porttinen-kytkin

you could also get a second router, it basically has a switch built in and can also do wifi. you could place the second router in room A, get wifi there and have your existing router handle the ISP stuff

Ethernet switch ps1 socom champ get some get some get some

NAT is a so-called layer 3 functionally. Basically what a switch that comes with NAT does is that it will translates the public IP that ISP gives you into many private one. So that every devices that plug into the switch, includes the wireless router that you have, can share the same LAN. If your ISP provides you many public IP address, then you may not need a switch that comes with NAT.
So when you search for a product, you may look for keyword "NAT".