Why do proprietary software users claim that Adobe's Photoshop is so much better than GIMP...

Why do proprietary software users claim that Adobe's Photoshop is so much better than GIMP? I just tried Photoshop and it is, at best, on par with GIMP. Is the anti-freedom crowd really this desperate for a killer app for their operating systems?

Attached: 1511775528607.jpg (957x713, 249K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.templatetoaster.com/gimp-vs-photoshop-best-image-editor/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>inb4 can't draw a circle meme

Can gimp draw a circle though?

That didn't take long.

I don't understand this meme?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-12_17-07-05.png (1207x1230, 114K)

Can gimp directly integrate into 3dsmax/maya/zbrush to edit textures in a real time? Can you use gimp with some collaboration design plarform like, for example, zeplin, to work together with designers whom using sketch?

People who have never used GIMP before think it's true so they parrot it.

>Can [free software] work with [specific proprietary software]
I hope you can see for yourself what a flimsy argument that is.

Nice. Thanks for proving my point.

Attached: Not round.jpg (1030x312, 18K)

What is Ctrl+Circle select
then Edit->Stroke selection..
( so hard )

After some point you realize that 80% of opinions you hear are coming from mentally handicapped people so they are not really opinions just retarded personal choices perpetuated by endless repetition and retransmission in forums that is also sponsored by companies that have something to earn from your Adobe+Windows/MacOS computer purchase..

The plugin api of 3dsmax ans maya is completely open.

GIMP's GUI is ugly, all those tools on the top left in a box and not a rectangle is jarring when coming from Photoshop.

Attached: 1528750045185.jpg (432x417, 22K)

>Is the anti-freedom crowd really this desperate
Sure

3dsmax is not free. Try comparing GIMP with Blender instead, rather than clinging to proprietary software.

>Being that dull
It's just selected, you retard.

Okay, can gimp integrate into blender to edit textures in a real time?

Never tried. You should look into that.

Pretty much. There's also a hefty dose of prosumerism sprinkled liberally with baby duck syndrome.

It can't. But photoshop can work with 3dsmax. That's why photoshop is used. That's why 3dsmax is used.

>GIMP's GUI is ugly
Spotted a retard.
GIMP's UI is so much cleaner and intuitive PS can't even compete.
You literally need years of PS experience to break your mind into preferring PS over anything.

>It can't.
How do you know, you haven't even tried. You can do it in Blender without GIMP, however.

I tried, you dumb fuck.

Can gimp even extract video frames and save them all into one folder?

Attached: 1525828091871.jpg (344x345, 38K)

I doubt you did.

Hmm, you probably made this circle in photoshop and imported the image as a layer in gimp.

Whoyathinkyofoolinwhiteboi?

Are all freetards that dumb?

quicktime 7 can

Funny that people who are anti-freedom are also delusional.

top-kek , this is literally one line command..

ffmpeg -i "YOURFILE.mp4" -r 30 -q:v 1 colorFrame_0_%05d.jpg

I am not antifreedom, you mong, i use free software when i can, like with krita, which is awesome, but gimp is abomination.

>gimp is abomination.
nope..

>I am not antifreedom
You're financially supporting Adobe, among other anti-freedom corporations. You are anti-freedom and you claims about GIMP are unsubstantiated.

>You're financially supporting Adobe
I'm sailing seven seas.

Gimp runs like shit compared to the photoshop i use.

Are you on wangblows?

This poster is correct:

Attached: Untitled.png (640x400, 6K)

>Why do proprietary software users claim that Adobe's Photoshop is so much better than GIMP?
vendor lock in forces them to endlessly parrot the perceived superiority of their chosen software because the cost of switching is too high

it's only 640x480 as well, so of course it's gonna be pixelated

>runs like shit
>godawful workflow
>shitty, unintuitive GUI
Tried it for a week after my old copy of PS just up and died on me, hated it.

>what is vector graphics
>what is raster graphics
>what is inkscape..
>what a stupid comment
>what an ignorant sob

It runs very well for me, but apparently it runs poorly on bad operating systems like windows. The UI is good, blame your baby duck syndrome for not being able to adapt.

>runs like shit
>godawful workflow
>shitty, unintuitive GUI

I don't understand this as a criticism, all those things apply to photoshop too.

Linux?
And yet that doesn't stop them being valid criticisms of GIMP user, which they are.
I just wish Adobe weren't such a bunch of money-grubbing hacks and released a DRM-free version of PS/Flash/Illustrator etc. I don't mind spending money on a knockoff like Pixelmator since I never used PS all that extensively, but I'm fucked if I'm going to pay a monthly subscription for software which is on my own computer.

>Linux?
What are you trying to ask?

I'm sure it's fine for novice users. It's not like you're going to do anything important if you're using Linux so it's a self selecting demographic anyway. If you want to do anything serious, you want Photoshop. Gimp is basically enhanced MS paint with layer control.

just pirate it mate, implying your wangblows isn't pirated as well

That's the marketing line that has been thoroughly disproven, yes.

fucking windows/ps plebs everyone..

Been using Photoshop since version 3, which means I predate layer support. I've also written a handful of Photoshop plugins. TLDR; If you have to ask, just use GIMP - you're not advanced enough to hit the (very serious) limitations of GIMP.

GIMP is fine if you're not a professional. If you are, it's completely inadequate. It may be 'capable', as it's designed to be a knockoff, but someone who is skilled in photoshop is going to have an easier time getting to a better result. The reason for this is decades of polish have been put into Photoshop, and GIMPs UI is legendarily a bear trap nightmare. When they've 'improved it', said improvement is just making it more like Photoshop. So, let's get into some workflows that will cause GIMP to fall on its face:

> Color management and profiling is a nightmare, and frequently inaccurate.
> No paper color simulation
> Quadtone RIP support for fine black and white giclee is impossible
> Direct camera capture is a joke, and unusable in a studio setting
> RAW support is awful
> HDR images produced by the 'Exposure Blend' plugin look awful
> Cache drive support (super important for working with large images quickly)
> CMYK
> Image scaling
> 32-bit image support
> Font smoothing and blend modes

And it goes on and on and on if you're trying to do professional work. We'll get to amateur work later. Then we can get into the 'but gimp can...' column of features, the following of which exist in GIMP but are vastly superior in Photoshop:

> Batch processing
> Layer styles
> Smart objects
> Vector objects
> Filters & Plugins
> Action scripting
> Simple tools, like selection, are harder to use

(cont.)

lol, you're delusional. I cannot replicate my workflow in gimp or create a new one that accomplishes the same result in the same amount of time. The tools simply do not exist.

Attached: gimp v word.png (800x650, 70K)

I'm using gnu/linux

My last 'pirated' copy just stopped working. I say 'pirated' because it was a legit copy that a friend from China gave me a key for. Tried to update it so that it ran at full resolution instead of being blurry, got hit with Adobe's fancy new anti-piracy shit. Tried explaining that it was legit, got told that it didn't matter since CS6 is no longer supported and that I might as well just buck up and subscribe to CC. Adobe are greedy fucks.

If you legitimately think GIMP is on par with photoshop, neck yourself.

Example?

You really sound like you work for Adobe.

And finally

> The vast library of quality training information

Some folks will say the things I've listed are things they're never going to use. They're right - because most folks aren't doing real work when they touch up their home photos or work on a little hobby project. But if anything you do does go pro, you're going to need a tool that handles that. If what you do gets big enough, you're going to have to deal with the print world, and you're going to be getting Photoshop to do that. I recommend against the CC version and getting something around CS5-6, because honestly, they haven't improved the product all that much since the late 90s.

But if you're an amateur, use GIMP. There are a half dozen plugins here that will get you kinda sorta close: blog.templatetoaster.com/gimp-vs-photoshop-best-image-editor/

But to bring back my TLDR: pros don't ask this question. That said, I've been saying for years if they release a linux build of photoshop it's all over for MacOS.

>a friend from China gave me a key for
Are you japanese or something?

>using GIMP 2.8
It's old m8

>TLDR; If you have to ask, just use GIMP - you're not advanced enough to hit the (very serious) limitations of GIMP.

Even this I disagree with. I'm a webdev pleb, but if I want to rotate some text and then be able to edit that text to say something else without un-rotating it, GIMP struggles with this. It is worth $10/month for Photoshop because it saves me hours of frustration every month.

I'll just echo rather than typing up my own post because you wont read it anyway.

Why does the anti-freedom crowd always use such vague terminology like "professional" to describe their software? Anything could be professional, you aren't describing a use case with this.

Nobody is "anti-freedom," they're "pro-quality." I don't care whether or not I can see the source code of shit that doesn't work very well.

I don't think you've actually used GIMP. GIMP does the majority of those very well.

Supporting software that restricts user freedom makes you anti-freedom.

If you reinstall i believe you can stop that from happening again by blocking certain adobe domains in your hosts file.

I'm English user, and I miss my god damn CS6

I never understood why Jow Forums apparently hates GIMP because of it relying on extension, and at the same time praises Photoshop due to its rich support for extensions....

That's fair, let me download GIMP 2.10 and see if they've made any progress at all in the last five or six years.

You're a very lazy and incompetent troll, you know that right? If you can't get the the professional (read: makes money) uses that I've listed out, you're not qualified to have this converation.

I have the freedom to use closed source software. Political wankery does not influence my choice of hammer my choice of furniture, my choice of washing machine, or my choice of software.

If gimp is as good as Photoshop and free, why isn't it standard? If it's just as good and free, using it would be a no brainer.

>I have the freedom to use closed source software
Yes, you have the freedom to surrender your own freedom.
If you didn't quote me it would make no sense that you're responding to me.

I did/can, but it doesn't solve the problem of CS6 running at low resolution in the first place which is what prompted me to ditch it once it started to have major issues (not least of which was Adobe's constant fucking piracy alerts). Patches can be downloaded but not installed in order to update it since Adobe no longer supports legacy products and so its latest Manager software doesn't allow for the installation of patches to 'outdated' software. Not the first person to have experienced this issue, spent a good week trying to find fixes.

People still use wangblows. Popularity doesn't mean shit.

Been waiting for it to not suck since the early 2000s. I give it a shot every other year or so to see if it's improved, but it hasn't. If you say 'it can' you're not doing sophisticated enough work.

It's a shame because Inkspace and Krita are actually pretty freaking awesome. GIMP remains appropriately named, unfortunately.

You lot always claim this, but never can substantiate it. You clearly have never even tried to learn how to use GIMP.

But there are glaring flaws that GNU/Linux has that keeps it from being adopted mainstream. Unless you're a developer, Linux is only good for hobbyists... similar to gimp

What are those flaws?

You lot always claim this, but never can substantiate it

See what I did there? Your incompetence is showing.

You parroted my observation. Well done. Is this how you divert attention from your Adobe dick sucking?

No distro in existence offers the same ease of operation, features, performance, compatibility and access to software as easily as windows 10

I'm not this guy, but I'll say I'm still disappointed in most of the DEs I have access to.

He's so wrong about Linux only being good for hobbyists I don't even know where to begin though.

going "yeah but gimp does it just as good' isn't an argument. PS is the norm, the burden of proof lies on you to prove that gimp has a comparable workflow to the standard.

Ad populum. You are bad at this.

>Ease of operation
Baby duck syndrome. You only think Windows is easy because you've always used it. It is actually an unintuitive mess.
>Features
Windows has less features than any GNU/Linux distro.
>Performance
Windows performs horribly. Slow, bloated memory hog of an OS.
>Compatibility and access to software
All software worth using is available with GNU/Linux. Just because you're too stubborn to learn a superior program doesn't mean your OS is better.

care to substantiate those claims?

I didn't say that. If you used GIMP you'd understand, but you're too lazy to learn.

I have used gimp and it is literal garbage

The only one that needs substantiating is the third claim, which is easily demonstrated by comparing idle resource usage between wangblows and even the most bloated, intensive GNU/Linux distro and DE.

Gettin' there GIMP lol.

Attached: gimp-v-word-2.png (800x650, 106K)

I have used PS and it is literal garbage.

That's a nice opinion. Now use your opinion to get literally all professionals to use gimp instead.

>Yes, you have the freedom to surrender your own freedom.
Yeah that's how contracts work I suppose. In the case of Photoshop I am purchasing an image editor that works better than GIMP.

You lot always claim this, but never can substantiate it.

People care about image, not functionality.

I don't think you know what that word means.

You lot always claim this, but never can substantiate it.

Professionals care about image + deadlines. You need functionality for that.

The only pro gimp argument has been "nuh uh". The burden of proof is not the PS user's responsibility.

>You need functionality for that.
PS has basic functionality for beginners. People learn to use it because it has the reputation of being expensive professional software, but these useds never seek more advanced software.