/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>Hardware Maintenance Manuals (HMM's) and Windows drivers for legacy devices:
download.lenovo.com/eol
>Used laptop guides by xsauc:
dankpads.com
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: c87333b32f56cb8c556e6a59122a4914fe139e9a.png (640x480, 17K)

first for >tfw no x62

cringe

Thank you for using an anime-ish image

Attached: 1528343733576.jpg (1372x1952, 248K)

as the reddit people say
>that's enough internet for today
gn /tpg/

eventually I'll get one. I don't think I really need one now or ever but I'm sure I'll be too old to want to use a terminal someday.

Attached: palmtop.gif (400x357, 75K)

>eventually I'll get one.
Uh, they've been sold out since last year.

Has anyone actually purchased a GOOD chink battery?

LCD cable on my T500 finally gave out. ;_; Wait time for replacement can't come soon enough. going back to my x120e for now, though I lugged that T500 around longer than I originally wanted to, but still.

Budget: $700
Size: What's the comfiest size to code while in a bar or at coffee shop? 15in?
Performance: The best the budget can allow, I code in Perl connecting to my dev server via SSH using the terminal, I need Firefox to run smoothly with Spotify and Word/Excel open with a Youtube video in the background.

Help? What should I get only for outside use? I already have a decent gaming laptop I use at home.

Thanks!

Dell Latitude E5520 is superior to the T420. Prove me wrong

chromebook, not even memeing

Got a T430 with the FHD IPS mod and backlit keyboard for $230. Feel p good about

Attached: June 13 Wednesday - 01:25.png (1599x899, 166K)

The Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display.

Are HP's dreamcolour displays worth the extra $100 asking price over the normal 1080p?

I want to use r52 as an android laptop, but I can't make either ethernet or wifi work.
The android has to be under 4.1 (excluding 4.1), and generally a thinkpad tablet compilation works fine, but it doesn't have drivers for either ethernet or wifi (I tried both a pci express card and some usb dongle).

Help me, please.

Attached: 25718_gallery_0.jpg (400x358, 108K)

Is it possible to get 6-8 hours battery life from x220 ?

Dell Latitude E6520, i7 2630QM, 16gb DDR3, which 1tb SSD do I get for this thing? Or possibly a 250gb boot drive and the current 7200rpm 1tb will find its way into a second HDD slot where the DVD resides

got a t440 in perfect state for $300 and I'm gonna replace it's trackpad for $20
did I fuck up?

Talk me out of getting a T470 with FHD and SSD. Would go for an earlier model but no IPS screens...

does it have a gpu?

Has anyone had wifi issues with the X240? running Mint Cinnamon and it seems to drop out for a second or so intermittently. It isn't an issue for browsing, but can fuck with internet radio etc. I've tried various fixes such as swapping network-manager for WICD with no change. Tried switching off sleep mode and doing some stuff with the wifi drivers; No change. I can live with the minor annoyance, but if anyone has an idea, i'd apreciate it.

Attached: wasd.jpg (1680x1050, 37K)

Yeah i am currently using an aftermarket (i assume chink) battery. Getting roughly 5-6 hours on my Thinkpad x61. If i am using airplane mode i get 7 hours.

>mfw I did the T430 classic keyboard mod with nothing but a butter knife to scrap the nubs and a screwdriver

Good god does the bottom seam look ugly as fuck, I even had to jam it in and it scrapped the palmrest a little, and there's an even bigger gap between the trackpoint buttons and the touchpad, along with there being a crystal clear view of the otherside through the bottom left spill hole in which I could read a fucking book through.

But it Just Werks™ with the EC flash.

Attached: 1525773876686.gif (297x229, 2.22M)

Oh, and for anyone who is planning to install the T420 keyboard on the T430, DON'T SHORTEN DOWN THE NUBS. All the guides on the internet are retarded that either suggest you get a huge bulge on your palmrest due to installing the keyboard under the palmrest first or ending up like me.

Instead, remove the extra plastic from your palmrest that was clearly added to suit the T430 keyboard's smaller nubs. It's likely easier and much less visible, as the classic keyboard nubs will fit right in.

My old 9cell that has 472 cycles and 70% capacity lasts around 7hours with document viewing and light internet usage. Brightness on 25% btw

The Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display is the best option for professionals.

>T430
>try to see if it can edit video
>install Resolve
>seems fine
>cut some parts, do some sound and put some color
>tries to autorender the timeline
>it is slow
>check the temps
>CPU at %93 and at about 83C degrees
>shut the program down

Was I expecting too much from the laptop?

Attached: pol533485977.jpg (469x480, 53K)

Just get T480.come with quad cores

There's a reason why editing professionals use the Apple Macbook Pro with Retina Display instead.

Well.. At least I will work more from home I guess.
Cutting and sound was ok up to 1080p @ 25kbps,
But when color (effects) came in, it shat itself.

Which CPU and how much ram you have?

i5 3320 2.6
8GB

RAM could take it. It used 5.7GB.

no, just no.

>i5 3320
There's your problem. Iirc, there's a 35W quad-core 3rd gen i7

No moneys atm. I got this recently for Photoshop and works. Maybe I can do some upgrades in the future.

you could also try getting one of those cheap Chinese laptop trays with fans built in. Might save you a few degrees at the top end.

Yousoro!

Attached: 1455669566810.jpg (1280x720, 98K)

I have one at work, but ok. I don't want to damage this laptop. I will arrange to edit at home on the desktop.

me

The T420 I had seemed really smooth when I was using Lightworks to vidya edit for school.
>i5 2520m
>16gb ram
My overall ram usage was 12gb.

Attached: 20180609_211709.jpg (1280x720, 473K)

just picked up my used T430s with that i7 (its still dual core though, 3520M), 8gb ram, 2x120gb ssd, dvd drive (2nd ssd is in dvd drive slot) and dock all for £160 :)

Don't use resolve noob, use after effects/premiere instead

just got my refurbished t420.
I dunno what to install, i'm so mesmerized.

I procured some T420 slice batteries (27++) that are NOS 2011 dated.

I tried to use them on my T430 with quad CPU and 90w charger. The battery is not detected and lenovo settings want me to reinstall or recharge the battery to attempt solving the problem.

Both batteries are 0% charge (apparently) and while it is detected in Lenovo vantage the information on Brand name/Temperature/Chage capacity is garbled and/or missing.

I wonder if the batteries are completely dead or is there a way to revive them? I also hvae the option to buy an external charger but I'm not so sure if that will even charge the slice battery that I have now.

I have the system EC patch that enables the 7-row keyboard and bypass aftermarket battery verification

Should I set the BIOS password on my panasonic cf-ax2? I've read some claims it's very strong.

Attached: Heard_some_things.png (400x400, 10K)

Install systemd/linux kubuntu

Fell for the meme and bought a t430
Screen is utter shit

Attached: rs_IMG_1390.jpg (2000x1500, 454K)

This is why I didn't buy an earlier one, looking at the T470 or later with the full hd IPS panels

What a fucking sweet deal. Good job mate.
And I was referring to the i7-3612QM

What are the normal temps on the X220 i7 version? I get 45 Celsius on idle and goes up to 65-70C while watching videos online. Repaste needed?

Turn on hardware acceleration and it shouldn't use your CPU

All the guides online suggest filing down those nubs so that the keyboard fits into place. Good to know there’s another option because I’ve been accustomed to 20 series keyboard feel and have been considering the mod for a while now.

What I will say though is that those backlit keyboards are pretty but are kind of shit to type on

I’d like to get into this ThinkPads. I found a used ThinkPad X60 Tablet on eBay for $60, free shipping, 2 GB RAM, no hard drive, battery or power supply. I want a device to put Linux on, do light programming on, browse the web and play not very intensive Flash games. Cam someone tell me if it’s worth it?

I hope this is a good place to ask.
I've found a refurbished HP ElitePad 900 with it's dock and keyboard for 200$.
Should I go for it?

Attached: 1515985738323.jpg (850x1271, 128K)

>ElitePad 900
No! Not with that processor.
I'm using an old netbook with a comparable atom: It is slow and I paid 40 euros for the thing 3 years ago.

That bad?
I assume you can't install a more lightweight OS?

Do you want to browse with chrome or firefox?
That will be sluggish no matter the os.
I think 200 is too much. 100 maybe if you think its beautiful and dont mind the slow.

12 inch elitebooks with 3d gen i5, 4gb and ssd are sub 200 euro. They can't be much more in US?
I know it's no pad, but.

can i upgrade a W500's cpu to a QX9300 or there are power issues?

Attached: 1528686199589.png (819x447, 553K)

>Both batteries are 0% charge (apparently) and while it is detected in Lenovo vantage the information on Brand name/Temperature/Chage capacity is garbled and/or missing.
If they got to zero on the shelf there's a very good chance they're dead. A LiIon that drops below a certain voltage plates out and can never be used again.

now THIS is reddit spacing

My X230 is in the post!
Are there any advantages/features that come from installing Coreboot, other than muh freedoms?
I'm also planning on installing nitrocaster's FHD upgrade board, does anyone know how long the backlog is or when the next batch will be ready?

uh user, that better not be your "FHD" t430

not compatible with quads, it can deal with a x9100 and I think it might even be able to OC too

cheers fampai
now i just have to fix minor problems on the £20 thinkpad edge E431 that i bought "broken" (wasn't booting to windows lol) so that i can pay for the T430s, making it almost free :^)

Attached: 1528652851242.png (835x1080, 875K)

Just a little correction to what I said, it's not to do with the palmrest but the thing under it. If you do the mod and then reinstall the nu-keyboard with my method, it'll probably be even worse.

After using the classic keyboard for a few hours, I can confidently say that this shit is overhyped as fuck by /tpg/ and is not really worth it just for a better delete/home/end setup, even if I use those keys a lot. PgLeft and PgRight are pretty cool though, and so is the numlock.

Attached: 1493173804449.jpg (475x375, 12K)

had this x230 thinkpad for a few months now, first thinkpad ive had at home.
At work i just use them all the time in the dock...

Anyway now i want to upgrade this thing as much as possible, i dont want to change computer this x230 is good.

I bought x220 keyboard, IPS screen on the way, put a msata ssd that i had laying around in.

what more is there that i can upgrade?
Is there any difference on the trackpads x230/x220? the one i have has slight wear now anyway so maybe ill ger a new one.

Is there some better wifi card to get?
anything :D?

>overhyped as fuck by /tpg/
Obviously. It's merely weird kids and their weird
>everything older is better
I unironically find the t430 keyboard comfier. I never expected to, but after using it for a few days I preferred it.

1600x900
>fhd
wut

have that exact laptop at work, never used the laptop screen, monitors is better

>That will be sluggish no matter the os.
Even something like Lubuntu?
I was looking for a pad/tablet specifically.
Mainly because I want to use it to read several PDFs and I want desktop web browsing experience.

You can use the expresscard to boot from.

Oh yes, one thing i dont like about the x230:
The speakers!!!
is there any way to buy some better ones?

does the QX9300 have a different pinout or it's not supported by the bios?

slightly different signalling so you need to mod the socket + no bios support

It's chipset and socket compatible, the w700 can take it

Meant to reply to

How does one get these aesthetics?

I think it's only possible for traps

Hormones, good genetics, and money.

Attached: i-have-been-trained-in-your-bait-arts-by-count-30295945.png (500x397, 33K)

so there's no chance to fix them?

I got a refund but I still kinda want to make them usable
what

the chiclet keyboard have a better resistance to flex and is generally sturdier

Are dell latitudes still worth getting?

I want something cheap that I can toy around with which still has a trackpoint

Attached: latitude.jpg (1600x1200, 209K)

Of course they're worth.

I can't say that's a priority for me...

i like dell's desktop workstations a lot, never played with any of their laptops though

I'm considering to buy either a Dell Inspiron 700 13" or a Thinkpad T480/L 380Yoga around 1k€ (ther version with the i5 8250). How does Lenovo/Dell compare and any particular reasons to choose one over the other?
Right now I'm with an old Toshiba that has a 4th gen i7 and 8gb ram but with fucking W10 it's become so slow that running matlab is painful, besides other stuff.
Is the upgrade really worth it or it would be better to look for a more expensive one?

>there's a thinkpad general
Waaaat?
Are these another Jow Forums meme?
Because some Jow Forums memes are pretty good (KZ ATE, sansa clip+,HD 5XX,casio F91W)

I guess you're new here but yeah these have been going on for a while.

i recently switched my trusted t410 for a x220 and experiencing some weird shutdowns/reboots.

expensive

No I'm just rarted.

Understood.

Attached: ;p.jpg (500x500, 36K)

shiettiestimagepostedon4chan2018award.jpg.png.jpg

Attached: smug.png (572x721, 542K)

Good image faggot

Attached: epic anime.jpg (868x629, 10K)

The batteries, most likely, are not discharged completely. One or maybe two cells at most have discharged and can be replaced with new. Before doing so, it would be worth a try to revive the dead cell(s) for there is a good chance they may still hold a charge. Both operations involve opening the casings. It could mean not having to spend more $$$.

see

Recently bought my first Thinkpad, it's a X200 almost in perfect condition (just a few scratch here and there) and i got it for 70 euros with a 4 cell battery, a new keyboard, 160gb HDD, and 4gb of RAM.

Was it a good deal Jow Forums?

Attached: 1520553110605.jpg (480x480, 35K)

How bad of an idea is it to slap a 55w TDP i7-2960XM onto a 45w cooler, with standard 70-78*F ambient temps?

I'm running a 45w chip on a 35w cooler and it's fine, it doesn't thermal throttle and runs in turbo all the time, the machine in question is a Latitude E6520.