Pop-out front camera to avoid notch

Vivo, a Chinese smartphone manufacturer with the same parent company as OnePlus, came out with this design where the front camera pops out when in use and pops back in when camera app is closed.

This allows bezel-to-bezel screen without having to have a notch in the screen.

Is this the future, or a bad gimmick that creates a mechanical failure point in the device.

Attached: NEX_05.jpg (1230x820, 223K)

It could be done well, but on the budget chinkphone marked I expect them to snap off and leave you with no inner camera at all

Let's just do away with the selfie cam. Only roasties and pakis care about Snapchat and facetime.

It'll most probably create a mechanical breaking point.

it's a useful tool when you need to reach behind or into something, like getting a model number off of bathroom fan, taking a picture of the default password of an isp gateway device, or the serial of a dehumidifier that may or may not be on recall

it's pretty niche, but it's nice to be able to line up the photo instead of shoot blind a dozen times and hope you get it

from a business standpoint, that's utterly retarded. roasties are the biggest demographic for smartphones.

>using an image sensor smaller than 35mm

Attached: wzjmklljayh2iectndsi.jpg (800x450, 52K)

It's perfect. One less camera to cover, with a bonus of >90% screen to body ratio.

1) It's another mechanical system that can and will break
2) It prevents people from having covers around their phone, since you can't have anything over it or it'll block the lens
3) Just have half a centimeter on the top with no screen, what's wrong with that? We still need a place with the speaker after all.

Considering the Chinese already made smartphones with piezoelectric transducers in lieu of the earpiece and behind-the-screen fingerprint sensors I can actually picture what I see as being reality instead of lelnovo's "concept" art.

Just have the back camera on a hinge or something. Flip it to take selfies.

>Let's just do away with the selfie cam.
Sure, let's lose 80% of the female demographic and 40% of the male demographic.
You should be marketeer.

There's nothing to "believe" here, it's their second product with this design, both were available to try at the expo. This one is going to be mass produced.

>bad gimmick that creates a mechanical failure point in the device.

You nailed it, OP. Why do we need or even want bezel-to-bezel again? I want to have some room for my phone's case to overlap and protect the edges without blocking the screen. The notch is also unnecessary because it looks horrible and you can just put the front camera in the bezel where it belongs.

>using a case
Unless you have Alzheimer's there's no excuse.

Just have a small screen on the back and use the rear camera.

Where will the ear-speaker go?
Though the screen? Behind the phone?

>Why do we need or even want bezel-to-bezel again?
"""""futuristic"""""

>Why do we need or even want bezel-to-bezel again?
We don't "need" shit, but it's for fashion and trends.
It's like the "thinness" of the phones.

Pretty much we need better webcams and laptop cameras. Using selfie cameras for video sucks.

It could be that hole on top

Bezel to bezel is a meme in the first place.

I want front facing stereo speakers

>Pretty much we need better webcams and laptop cameras.
I agree for the laptops, but I've had the 1080p Logitech/Logicool camera for years, and I don't know why I would ask for more.

My phone has lasted me 4 years thanks to its case, there is no way it could have lasted that long without it.

>Put simple OLED screen on the back
>Use rear-facing camera or add a selfie camera to the rear area
>Add a hardware button for taking pics

Retarded idea for retarded women.
I'll keep buying an utilitarian phone.

It looks extremely good and maximizes the screen without increasing the dimensions of the phone.
There is not a single reason not to want that.

>Cover
I have one for my Pixel. It doesn't overlap the glass on the front at all.

are you one of those people who watch videos or play music out loud in public?

Not him but when I watch videos in bed or something, I would appreciate if the sound wasn't broadcasted behind, if I put the phone against a pillow or something, it'll muffle it.

>buying a tracking device

>It looks extremely good
Subjective preference. I personally do not like it.

>maximizes the screen without increasing the dimensions of the phone
True, and also makes it very inconvenient for your thumb to reach all the way up and down without having to move your whole hand.

We already have the optimal screen sizes. (with a few variations for hand sizes, etc) No need for that gimmick IMO. Why should I care that my phone is one centimeter taller?

>Subjective preference. I personally do not like it.
Why? Do you prefer visible bezels and other randomly scattered elements, such as sensors, cameras and so on?

>True, and also makes it very inconvenient for your thumb to reach all the way up and down without having to move your whole hand.
You might want to get a smaller phone. Returning to my Pixel, I can reach is entire surface with one hand without changing my grip.
Also, you assume that interface never changes and that entire area is filled with interactive elements, which is wrong.

>We already have the optimal screen sizes.
Not really, no. Define "optimal screen size".
>(with a few variations for hand sizes, etc) No need for that gimmick IMO. Why should I care that my phone is one centimeter taller?
If you don't care, I guarantee that there are options for you. See as there are still "dumb" phones around. They are stagnant just like you want them to be.
There is no need to stop progress venture you don't see the merit in time if it's aspects. Just use more niche devices if you don't like mainstream ones.

Less moving parts == less to break.

There's the single reason you claimed was non-existent.

>Less moving parts == less to break
Less any parts == let's to break, yet devices often increase in complexity. So not really an argument.

Do you really not understand that moving parts are at least an order of magnitude more likely to break than non-moving parts?

>Why? Do you prefer visible bezels and other randomly scattered elements, such as sensors, cameras and so on?
Yes.
And a physical button at the bottom.

their parent parent company Oppo did this forever ago with the rotating camera right?

said phone even launched with Cyanogenmod on it

In general: more complex -> more likely to break. Sliders are not new and not complex. It also depends on the way this is implemented.
And to more clearly answer your argument: "no, just look at LG bootloops. Were they due to moving parts?".

You have strange tastes. But again, there will always be a device for you. Probably even a lot cheaper one.
>Physical button
>At the bottom
Ewww. Hated that shit in iPhones especially when I _must_ click it for actions.

Also, doesn't physical button contradict your "less moving parts" mantra?

> Either not capable of understanding a basic principle or rationalizing idiotic choice.
> Idiot that is not worth wasting time on.

/thread

still not as stupid as the gun that transforms into a smartphone shaped rectangle. good effort.

Former heroin addict and drug dealer here. This will be nice for people who go to court often. Typically you cannot bring in a cell phone with camera capability; they're super strict and will force you to put it back in your car. I'm assuming the average sherif deputy won't bother to check if a person's phone has a push up camera.

Attached: 1528679161536.png (2760x2000, 58K)

:^)

Attached: sony-a7-iii-header1-1920x1136.jpg (1920x1136, 138K)

this but replace the oled with a simple mirror

>that boomer whos carrying those 2kg lenses with him all the time

Hey friend, have you tried not being repulsive to look at?

Medium format or GTFO

I travel a lot and it's nice to talk to my family face-to-face instead of just texting or hearing their voice.

From a privacy point of view I approve this.

literally all of those would be easier with the rear facing camera. are you taking a selfie with your serial number?

>year 2050
>every fucking normie has this shit faggot phone in their head that you can't even hold
>mfw thicc hand phones masterrace
they don't even know what they lose

You’re looking under a sink. You need to see the back of the gray pipe on the right. Obviously you cant get your head back there.
>take a rear pic
Cant see what I’m pointing at and take the pic 20 times to get it right and in focus.
>take front pic
Can see where I’m aiming and take it one time.

Attached: FD198AB8-ECAB-44D7-BDE2-D56D5D8D8378.jpg (448x600, 36K)

>Is this the future, or a bad gimmick that creates a mechanical failure point in the device.

I would just try to break it myself.
So yes, we are getting closer to the future which is NO selfie cam.

you're retarded because most of the time:
1. you have a mirror in your home
2. if you're not at home there are very few situations where this would be remotely useful
3. in such situations, lighting is a problem
4. phone cameras are incredibly bad in poorly lit scenes
5. the front camera is even worse than the back camera
6. you are a retort, a retart, ReTart, MonkGoiloid aka a putrid facggot

why do you need to see them visually you moron, do you need them to undress, you wanna see ur daddys wrinkled ding dong or ur mom's Fat Azz?

>the future
>NO selfie cam.
Do you basement dwellers actually believe this? As in that this would ever happen? That people will stop
1. making video conversations
2. taking selfies
3. using front camera as a mirror
4. using it as does
?

>Camera pops out
>Herro NSA

Interferes too much with persistent surveillance
This will not be permitted

I do this for a job. If I use a mirror I need a flashlight anyway which begs the question of why not use a phone which already has light. And I want to zoom in on this stuff sometimes. Other times I want to reference it later. Taking a picture just makes sense. What’s your solution?
You’re dancing around the obvious usefulness of this because you’re allergic to selfies or something.

>you have a mirror in your home
Do I have to draw a sketch or return every time I need to see it again?
>Lighting
Just turn the flash on. It's strong enough to Illuminate everything. And unlike with back camera, you can have it on all the time and focus properly.

>2) It prevents people from having covers around their phone, since you can't have anything over it or it'll block the lens
Its like nobody has made any custom cases for any phone.

My sister had a baby. It's nice to see the baby, she even squeals and flaps her chubby little arms when she sees me through the phone.
You wouldn't relate to this feeling because your family has likely exiled you for your autism and are avoiding you at all costs, but it's a great feeling.

if your job requires you to use cameras to see / find stuff in any kind of crease other than a woman's ass, you are a failure, man

probably that's why I didn't even think the scenario thoroughly

it's like having to think about how serfs lived during the feudal times, I can try to imagine, but it's difficult, you know?

>she even squeals and flaps her chubby little arm
are you sure it's not a pig? reading that out loud in a gay accent made me laugh

>I can’t squirm out of this so you need to see more asses man lol
Nice reply

>Jow Forums: just drop the selfie cam lol
>also Jow Forums: I REFUSE TO EVER BUY A PHONE THAT DOESN'T HAVE A HEADPHONE JACK FUCKING KIKES RUIN EVERYTHING REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

what the fuck kind of babies have you been interacting with that don't squeal when happy? sedated ones? you fucking pedo.

I like this idea.

>Jow Forums is one person

That's not going to make it bezel-less.

What did bezels ever do to you?
#JusticeForBezels

Attached: crying pepe.gif (500x480, 31K)

>leave hole for power+volume
>leave hole for charging port
>leave hole for back camera
>can't leave hole for popout camera

>brings up babies into the discussion
>calls ME a pedo for laughing at this
fuck off baby fuker

my phone has lasted me 6 years with no case and tons of drops, fuck off with your fragile piece of shit

A viiiivvvoooo

Attached: 991B8CD3-C0F4-96CA-A87119D18F6C751D.jpg (640x427, 103K)