/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1501171624867.jpg (330x260, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

linux.die.net/man/1/7z
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system#Configuring_mkinitcpio
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/smoothscroll/nbokbjkabcmbfdlbddjidfmibcpneigj
advancetechmedia.org/episode-018-richard-stallman/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What is a decent, vim key based, terminal file manager, that doesnt look like it has aids?

first for the sake of being first

ranger

$ vim
:ter
ls
cp
rm
mv
^D

Thats what im using, but its written in python.

you mean
>$ set -o vi
$ ls
$ cp
$ rm
$ mv

Thats fine for a few files, but it gets inconvinient if you need to move/copy/remove a lot of files that dont follow a pattern like a file extension or whatever.

>but its written in python
and?

Python is slow.

:h :ter

but that doesnt give your shell vim controls, does it? it just gives you a terminal in vim.

vifm

a file manager is not even remotely performance-sensitive to such a degree that it would be limited by python
there are plenty good reasons to hate python but this isn't one

You literally have no knowledge about the topic you're talking about. All your "knowledge" stems from memes. You parrot those to feel smart, because you can finally give off opinions about a "niche" topic. Never post again on a technology based forum you fucking retard.

Thats a fair point, but i would still like a faster, more minimal file browser.

kek. nice meme. I use python all the fucking time for small scripts you dipshit, but i dont want to be using a program written in python if its probably my 3rd most used desktop program.

Thanks, ill check it out.

vifm is superb, can have image previews too

thanks, i like it already.

>only for small scripts
Exactly, you fucking retard. Your "knowledge" consists of memes and myths. You wouldn't even be able to tell the difference in a blind test when running programs and guessing the language they're written in. You fucking mongoloid, stop posting already, you're embarrassing yourself with your "I don't want to run a program written in this language whaa whaaa babby goo goo".
Castrate yourself, because your offspring might become like you or equally obnoxious in another field, like audiophiles for example.

I laughed friend, good meme :^)

You fucking retard are the one wrong here. Fuck off pythonisa, your shit is slow and it breaks.

FUCK PYTHON, is shit.

He is just mad because it's the only language he can write.

But its pretty good for most uses, and haves a shitton of libraries that I couldnt be bothered to write by myself

>another retards can only accuse you of being affiliated with the thing you're calling them out on post
Come back when you can tell two programs doing the same thing apart based on the language they're written in, retards. Stop wasting everyone's bandwidth on your retardation.

There are better languages for the job and you know it.

no u

>thinks languages matter in cases like this
How's your "Hello World" enterprise project going?

You've been memed.

Stop fucking shitting this thread dipshit. Nobody likes pythonisas.

Double down friend!
>What is a decent, vim key based, terminal file manager, that doesnt look like it has aids?

I think I've found a distro that makes a piece of shit netbook usable. Started looking at Manjaro Openbox but that shit just wouldn't boot due to lightDM failures. Started looking at other Openbox options and came across Bunsen Labs. I'm sure you all will have a reason for hating it but right now I have turned this useless pile of shit 1GB RAM Atom N450 into a usable toy. Feels Goodman.

I just discovered the somewhat useful

# bash
bind -p

# zsh
bindkey

# ksh (that's what I'm using)
bind

Just wondering about some of the output...
$ bind | grep -i delete
^? = delete-char-backward
^H = delete-char-backward
^[[3~ = delete-char-forward
^W = delete-word-backward
^[^? = delete-word-backward
^[^H = delete-word-backward
^[h = delete-word-backward
^[d = delete-word-forward
^D = eot-or-delete

I know the single ^ are ctrl+key (^W ^H etc), I don't get the more exotic ones...
^[h
^[^H

Other funky ones from my full list-
^[[D = backward-char
^[OB = down-history
^[[1;5C = forward-word
^[[1;5D = backward-word

I believe it's related to
$ set -o
(which on ksh) allows you to view or enable/disable emacs or vi style editing. Can anyone interpret these key sequences?

You don't recognize the left bracket or I am misunderstanding here?

>choosing your distribution based on its looks and software it's running
You're not very smart.

External exFAT guy chiming in to say thanks again. Everything is working great.

Attached: owSvPk8.gif (196x235, 1.79M)

Ok somehow you've part saved me. I tried
^[h = delete-word-backward
ctrl+[+release-[+h
and it deleted a word.

And
^[^H = delete-word-backward
ctrl+[+release-[-and-ctrl, ctrl+H
and it deleted a word too.

Many of them I can't get to work. I'm assuming these are emacs or vim codes.... for example if I press esc+d (which would enter command mode in vim, then delete or something (still a ed/vim noob) it deletes a word)...

*nix your learning curve is "nothing to fuck with"... getting me to learn ed then vim... wow, a few years ago I would have never believed I'd do such a thing

Attached: ed.png (1097x699, 82K)

Where went the old thread?

>*nix

They are readline emacs mode (the default) bindings. Try man or info for readline or inputrc. The weird looking ones are probably keys like alt, ctrl, backspace. In bash Ctrl+v then those keys prints brackety shit like that iirc.

I use Arch (btw), I want to switch to gentoo for the memes and because compiling my own shit seems comfy
1. is this even worth doing
2. is there something AUR-like on gentoo (installing basically any software ever written for with a single command)

yes actually

>need to extract some 7z file (like 10GB, has many directories)
>see the reference
>doesn't understand
linux.die.net/man/1/7z
what's the exact diference between "e" and "x"? just ask before doing something wrong and colapse my old toaster

Attached: G-u5OhteiRQNXtF9Aaw_IbeBQYK4CG_dLkjMQ8fJykg.png (406x849, 23K)

Probably junks the dir names, just use x

thanks bro

x extracts the whole archive
e extracts the given archive/dir/file.ext from the archive

Attached: net-bsd toaster.jpg (384x512, 26K)

>bsd
eww

Attached: bsd.jpg (480x640, 62K)

I have an un-encrypted efi boot partition and an encrypted root and home partitions. since I don't have a full disk encryption and decided to only encrypt root and home, do I need to make any changes in the /etc/default/grub before booting? I know there is a specific fstab-like file for encrypted partitions that I need to use to automount the home partitions once the root one is mounted but how do I mount the encrypted root partition? I'm using grub and dm-crypt/luks

It'll have to be in your initramfs. Not familiar myself though.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dm-crypt/Encrypting_an_entire_system#Configuring_mkinitcpio
yeah I made the relevant changes but I would like to have a solution that asks me to decrypt only once and not 3-4 times. gotta ask the wizards on irc

Can you use TCP Wrappers (hosts.allow hosts.deny) to loadbalance NICs, not IP? i.e. httpd:ALL EXCEPT eth0 ?

I'm trying to hack up a little Cinnamon desklet but I need a function reference for the imports etc.

Does anyone know where I can find something like that? I don't really have any idea how to create buttons and dialogs in Cinnamon.

Lads, how can I edit the vertical scroll amount in Ubuntu 18.04?

I feel like I'm rubbing two sticks together to start a fire when I'm scrolling up/down in chrome or whatever

I think in Windows the default is 3 lines(?) or something but in Ubuntu it feels like it's way less

Any easy way to fix this? I'm still pretty new to Linux

Don't use chrome, it spies on you.

Well I use chromium if that makes a difference to you, but your reply doesn't solve my problem as I'm pretty sure this issue is true for all applications like PDF readers, text, etc

Last thing I have to take care of on my machine and I can't seem to find a good answer online elsewhere

want to quickly ''fix'' your fonts in archlinux?
add liberation serif/sans/mono to /etc/fonts/conf.d/60-latin.conf

>OS: Debian 9.4 stretch
>Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.9.0-6-amd64
>HD 8610G / R7 M260
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Richland [Radeon HD 8610G] [1002:990f]
01:00.0 Display controller [0380]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Topaz XT [Radeon R7 M260/M265 / M340/M360 / M440/M445] [1002:6900] (rev ff)

>glxgears: 60 fps
>games: 10 fps

I remember years ago, when I was playing at 60 fps and glxgears was throwing about 300 fps. Now it's just like R7 M260 is inactive, and HD 8610G is doing all the work.
How can I force to R7 M260 to work? better question... How do I install graphic drivers in Debian? Should I downgrade to Jessie?
I tried to install amd-driver-installer-15.30, but..
error: Detected X Server version 'XServer 1.19.2_64a' is not supported. Supported versions are X.Org 6.9 or later, up to XServer 1.10 (default:v2:x86_64:lib:XServer 1.19.2_64a:none:4.9.0-6-amd64:)
Installation will not proceed.

What should I do?

Attached: angry-linux-100535581-large.jpg (580x387, 21K)

>AUR-like on gentoo (installing basically any software ever written for with a single command)
You don't understand what the AUR is, but that's no surprise because you've proved what kind of idiot you are with the rest of your post.

I have exactly 1234 packages installed.

Attached: waifthon.gif (400x480, 124K)

why did you bother replying

Damn, missed 13:37 o'clock today.

Yaknow, I've seen some pretty sexy girls at linux conferences. Not even counting the bodypaint one.

They're not hired booth babes are they? Just volunteers?

rc.xml

sh -c "import -window root ~/Pictures/$(date '+%Y%m%d-%H%M%S').png"

It's either not working or im doing something wrong. just wanted to be able to take screenshots with prnt scr key on arch with openbox :(

What is the best vpn for Arch-based distros?

Attached: sample-6589a6838da2a519772186ab0144e500.jpg (1000x1000, 147K)

Can I reinstall just the Xubuntu OS in order to repair some errors, but leaving on the HD all my files and programs without worring to lose them?
I'm asking because there's a similar feature on macOS.

i don't think vpns work like that

Does A-Print work? (Alt + printscreen)

VPN is a meme, use Tor.

i want to use vpn +tor/waterfox for maximum anti-spybot

Searx says:

If you use Tor for surfing, use the Tor Browser and don't modify anything. That's how you blend into the masses.

I heard Protonmail provides a free VPN. Don't use it personally tho, do I can't recommend.

Lads, whats a really light-weight normie-friendly distro / DE combo? Needs to run on a pretty sad laptop, main use case will be occasional torrented movies. The guy isnt scared of text interfaces but as a normie, he prefers GUI as he's ultra slow else

Thanks in advance

the problem is that tor is freaking sloooow. I use it for mail and when searching for medical issues, however, if there is way to watch hentai without the slowness of tor and with its anti-spy efficacity, i would be happy

Tor was slow years ago, it's pretty fast nowadays, senpai.

why are you referring to yourself in third person

No. ctrl, shift and alt do not work.
0xDA instead of "Print"? doesn't work either.

#scrot ~/Pictures/screen_%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S.png works i command line too but not as a keybind.

KeyPress event, serial 48, synthetic NO, window 0x2e00001,
root 0x14f, subw 0x0, time 391655, (-702,648), root:(369,700),
state 0x0, keycode 107 (keysym 0xff61, Print), same_screen YES,
XLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XmbLookupString gives 0 bytes:
XFilterEvent returns: False

Is here anything useful?

>want OBS
>decide to fire up muon and search for OBS
>install OBS
>run OBS
>it says version 0.0.1 at the top of the window
>decide to look into adding repository directly with the commands on the OBS website
>decide to update
>shows me this

Wat do?

Attached: DiscoverOBSUpdate.png (894x668, 70K)

You don't need the "sh -c"

Works on my machine. Try this again, but use 0x6B, because it says your keycode is 107. The "DA" part is hex for 217, the keycode for Print on someone else's computer.

Either way, it works for me without converting the keycode into hexadecimal. Here's my snippet from the config:

scrot "%Y-%m-%d-%T.png" -e 'notify-send "Screenshot saved" "$f" --icon=gnome-mime-image-png'

On windows compiled C programs are in .exe format and Linux(I have ubuntu) just did .out. When I physically try to open file with mouse it tells me that there is no application installed for "shared library" files and then asks if I want to search for such application and when I press "Yes" "Additional MIME Types Required" message comes out on top of the screen.

How do I run programs just by clicking on them? I know how to do it in terminal.

>"the man behind linux"

Attached: 1528478078087.jpg (400x386, 37K)

Can you install GNU/Linux on windows tablet?
Something like HP ElitePad 900, and what's the best DE for touch input?

Attached: 1451032354549.jpg (478x720, 82K)

>physically with a mouse

Attached: 1528909563315.gif (250x189, 2.07M)

Make it executable.

Ok.
I want to run an .out file trough Graphical User Interface instead of Command Interpreter.

On a terminal, type file YourProgram
Does it says ELF? if so, just remove the .out extension and chmod +x the file.

Is lemonbar worth it?
it looks like bloat

bump :(

Yes, but it's only for pro's with shell scripting skillz.

How can something look like bloat?
Try this: 'lmao linux cant even scroll properly, what a shit os', this wakes up the neckbeards who will work night and day to prove you wrong.

I don't think Xorg even allows you to modify scroll speed, just use SmoothScroll.
chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/smoothscroll/nbokbjkabcmbfdlbddjidfmibcpneigj

>posting malware addon links

Same fucking problem for the past year. xset m 2 1 doesn't work, imwheel is fucking retarded because it scrolls at the last window you clicked on even if your mouse is focused elsewhere, and chrome smooth scroller looks like some headache inducing garbage. FUCK LINUX if no one can answer this

Thanks boss. I just tried it at work and I think this might actually work. This shit might unironically make my night when I get home
It's absurd this shit isn't included in system settings desu. I tried to use imwheel but that was shit so I'm hoping smoothscroll works wel on Linux

Hey, guys. I have one problem. I am installing Linux 15 minutes. So... I don't know actually what is going on... Why Linux is installing so slowly?
I am installing it above Windows and hard disk "are OK".
So... What I doing wrong?
[spoiler]I am Newbie Linuxfag[/spoiler]

Can anyone point me to a guide of what [spoiler]strace[/spoiler] does and what everything it shows means?

Sorry. I hoped It will be works like on 2ch.hk(HAHA, RUSSIAN IMAGEBOARD).

advancetechmedia.org/episode-018-richard-stallman/

Actually I'm form /v/, just a habit pressing Ctrl + s and I haven't posted on Jow Forums for a while. And nobody would even consider helping me on 2ch They don't have "friendly" threads.

I don't know what "slowly" means to you, but one thing that might effect the speed is your network connection.

Usually GNU/Linux installations involve getting the very latest software during the installation process. If you want to avoid using the network then you need to make sure you get an installation disk that has everything on it, not a "minimal install", and just leave your machine disconnected from the internet during the install.

That's just one idea though. Maybe your issue is something else.

> xorg problem
> blames linux