New Office for WIN32 uses ELECTRON

Attached: ss-2018-06-13-11-29-27.png (790x847, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

electronjs.org/docs/tutorial/about
stackoverflow.com/a/1296690/2498764
josephg.com/blog/electron-is-flash-for-the-desktop/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

kekkity kek

Attached: 1518196918967.jpg (1500x1500, 45K)

Atrocious

and the office drones will use it without a question

> STILL no mentoins of a Linux version

I hope they don't kill .Net in favor of electron.

Attached: the-scream.jpg (2540x1981, 1.71M)

it's the web one

i thought linux had a web browser to use the web

I hope they do but they won't. It's the tool to extinguish gtk/Qt

Not an answer, since every other platform gets an offline version. Needing a high-speed internet to edit documents is a nonsense.

thank god we have libre office so we can actually open tens of documents without RAM chocking on dick

Using microsoft shit is a nonsense, so nothing new here.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

>thank god we have libre office so we can actually open tens of documents without RAM chocking on dick
I'm not trying to defend MS retardation, but LO also is quite the RAM-hog, if you do more than just having a love letter to your wifes bull and a spreadsheet with your cucking shedule open, but rather some larger documents, or even a presentation with some images and figures.

But yeah, WTF?
Office on windows will now run on a chrome kernel? Fun times we are in nowadays.

I bet at least every other desktop Linux user will install MS Office when available just to get a viewer/editor compatible with MS OOXML implementation. After that, Libre/Openoffice will be used only by the most autistic hardcore people, like those who use utils mentioned on suckless.org, instead of GNU ones.

Well, i bet you are wrong.
also, 'autistic hardcore people' use emacs or ed, not *office

>No they are not electron apps

Electron apps run on Linux no?

Unmanaged shit should be extinguished.

…Except for the one that really count's and that everyone uses at some point…

Attached: retad.png (1190x1482, 106K)

Oh they're managed alright. GTK is the most common GUI bindings among all programming languages. botnet framework doesn't even come close.

Bindings are just paint over an unmanaged heap.

What's wrong with electron?
t. Illiterate that can't program

Very nice. This will yield plenty entertaining security issues.

It's a whole browser which runs interpreted (not precompiled) code. Companies use it to cut down development costs but it inflates RAM requirements for the end user.

also a lot of the run slow as shit compared to native, its not just the ram
then again vscode runs fine so maybe they wont fuck this up too bad

Electron takes a tool that is made for making Websites and turns it into a tool to make Desktop-programs.

Not really a problem in terms of releasing on the most platforms. Which is what they're doing with win32, it's no longer the platform they build around so it makes sense it's just electron.
The problems with electron arise when developers are bad at managing it, and there's a lot to manage with electron. Unfortunately a lot of web devs jump in thinking they just do the same things they're doing on the web.

Who cares about Win32 when you have native UWP version?

This is probably bigger news than the electron bit.
I think it'll also be the first major software that'll be downloadable outside of the store (enterprise cust).

This is the equivalent of an engineer at Lamborghini saying that, going forward, their cars will use the same engines as motorbikes and lawnmowers, because unifying engines is good and makes life easier for engineers.

Absolute madness

Not at all did you gloss over the tweet that stated they have multiple different versions depending?
All this actually really does is increase the chances of office's win32 version being available on linux.

Because UWP uses .NET which in turn uses Win32.

Qt is good and manageable
electron is easy any retard can do it

gtk has no reason to exist though

Forgive the /sqt/-tier post
What even is electron?

Only for compatibility purposes currently.

electronjs.org/docs/tutorial/about

office 365 has always been a web oriented fag suite. it doesn't really surprise me.

wrong
V8 (the JS engine used in Electron) never runs in interpreted mode
stackoverflow.com/a/1296690/2498764

Putting a browser in a desktop app so you can do web development while you do desktop development

Something the Silicon Valley brainlets came up with so they don't have to learn C++

Attached: yo-dawg.jpg (267x300, 10K)

It's JIT which is barely better, still has to compile on the fly the first time it's called after launch.

So does .NET and pretty much any modern windows app

They all use electrons dumbass how you think transistors work ?

call me when it's at least as good as luajit.
also
>compiling your code on every execution jitstyle is much different from interpreting code

Attached: 1435352635578.jpg (1846x1212, 244K)

>they are not electron apps
>only one that uses electron
it's a contradiction. it should be "they are not all electron apps" to be grammatically correct.

>are electron apps
>no they are not electron apps

???

>tfw my company is switching to G-Suite

Attached: 1408542025809.jpg (500x326, 44K)

disgustingly ignorant.
C# is first compiled to a low level intermediate code by the C# compiler and then there's a second JIT compiler that compiles it to native machine code during execution.

This is different from how JS works since even if you were to first compile it to a low level language before going through jit you would still have to do it at execution time and not before.

GTK is the tool to extinguish GTK

>JIT compiler that compiles it to native machine code during execution
as i said it uses JIT because next to no one runs ngen.exe on their assemblies when they're installed

>low level
>has opcodes like cpblk and initblk
lol no

>switching from a browser based office suite to a browser based office suite
well done

>compiling your code on every execution jitstyle is much different from interpreting code
yes, it's over 9000 times faster
>barely better

Attached: ss-2018-05-26-00-34-13.png (819x801, 26K)

>Libre Office
>not a RAM-sucking whore
Lol. Also libreoffice is absolute garbage if you want to actually do productive stuff. Gave it a chance multiple times and I always ended uninstalling it for Office 2013 instead.

I never thought I would say something like this but thank you freetards for Libreoffice, holy shit.

Attached: hopeless.png (720x720, 286K)

No mention of a what version?

Libreoffice doesn't have this problem

It definitely does have a ram problem.

Just use Office 2016 forever, still better than LibreOffice.

oh fuck, i hate electron, is laugable that vs code can't open 1mb files and it fucking crashes.
I used 400mb with notepad++ regualary

Attached: 1528658525555.jpg (960x1311, 240K)

> new Office for WIN32 uses ELECTRON
>No they are not electron apps.
incredible op, thanks for sharing

performance
security
shitty user experience
So basically, everything.

Imagine somebody took an outdated, insecure version of a shit tier browser engine, barely built it and used it as a GUI for normal software with full privileges.

this
/thread
/board
/website

Are you retarded? Microsoft has their own proprietary electron equivalent for UWP apps.

So Desktop apps on Win10 are built with React Native but 32-bit versions use Electron?

Even if their entire product suite ran using Electron it would be better than what they have right now.

>t. ramlet

Can someone explain me how they are doing that? Do they write their code base once and it runs everywhere auto compiling to native code except on win32?
What kind of framework/language are they using to accomplish that?

>microshitters are the only ones that get cucked by the company that made their os

pottery

It's a resource hog, even something as basic text editors written with electron are noticeably slower than natively compiled text editors. I can only imagine an electron app with all the features of MS Office will be a steaming pile of shit.

Download Win32DiskImager, and Etcher. See the shitshow for yourself.

Desktop Office programs already use React Native for the UI in some places. They're still written in C++ and C#. The plan is to finish writing the UI in React Native so they can use the same UI on the web, mobile, and desktop PCs.

javascript, html5, css
why learn more when the hardware engineers do at AMD give you so many cores?

JUST pimp my ride up senpai

Qt is gay
User wxWidgets

Maybe they want to get rid/be able to fix win32

It's the only reason I still use Windows on my work laptop and I'm guessing I'm not the only one.

>open 100 pages word document
>16GB of RAM usage

josephg.com/blog/electron-is-flash-for-the-desktop/

oh look it's the user who signs all of his shit posts and breaks global rule 13 on a regular basis. Remember snowflake, this isn't reddit. The format here is anonymous.

Attached: T. FAGGOT.jpg (320x26, 13K)

Wasn't this always the case? JS/TS for UI and C#/C++ for back?
Aren't you avatar fagging and spamming at this point? Give it a rest

nah man

learn the rules

I am not under the impression that my opinion is superior to other to the point I feel compelled to sign my posts. For months now you have been doing this. This isn't reddit. The format here is anonymous.

Stop.
I mean, in recent years absolutely that was the case. Much easier for them to deal with.

Unless you're a mod, I will absolutely not stop until you stop breaking global rule 13. You're not special, we're all anonymous. This isn't reddit

>me microsoft
>spend years developing c# and .net
>incredibly, it's actually not too bad
>finally rewrite your flagship office suite which is the global standard used by millions upon millions of people
>decide to use fucking JS

Attached: 0C49B40D-DFCD-4A40-B3FF-4CFEC4ED347E.jpg (600x512, 34K)

Fuck this is stupid as fuck. Let's see what happens and I'll decide whether to choose the win32 or UWP version.

so uh, i've always wondered, since Electron is here to stay, why won't they create some sort of (((chromium framework))) to be used by all the soiapps instead of bundling a neutered chromium instance into all? am i missing something here?

Attached: wheatley.jpg (500x391, 65K)

what do you mean by that?

having skimmed through the electron's description, the building of the soiapp puts some neutered chromium compilation within for the soiapp to use. meaning that each such a soiapp runs pretty much an individual chromium process. wouldn't it be better to create some sort of a "framework" that would basically run such an electron-ready process upon need and sort of treat each soiapp as a "tab"?

no

why?

Anything you can do with Office you can do better with tools such as LaTeX or any programming language since Fortran.

Excel is still the undefeated champion. Just because you're too retarded to understand it, doesn't mean others are, mkay?
So try again sweetie.

>M$ Office
>In html
This is atrocious. Seriously, it can't go worse than this.

>best options for cross platform UI seems to be Qt and wxWidgets
>both are suboptimal in one way or another
Why is it still this way? Why isn't this a solved problem?

Using markdown for UI doesn't seem bad, embedding a unique instance of webkit just to do it, does seem bad.

>creating yet another markup language (eg. XAML) and yet another rendering engine just for it when you could just use fucking HTML which already exists and which everyone already fucking knows.

tfw you realize you were the brainlet all along

HTML sucks balls. Even teletext was more capable and performant.
kys webfags.

You're not the first one to think about it. Apparently, thanks to the wonderful ecosystem of web development, you can't rely on such framework because Webkit will have some shitty round-corner-shadow-penis CSS property in version 420.69 and that will break muh rounded corners, so they ship onionapps with the exact version of Chrome it needs to run.

literally the Linux experience

Elaborate. Linux uses dynamic linking and dependencies as much as possible, while Electron does the exact opposite by bundling the entire runtime with every application.