How noticeable is the difference between an LCD monitor @ 144hz / CRT monitor @ 120hz? Also...

How noticeable is the difference between an LCD monitor @ 144hz / CRT monitor @ 120hz? Also, how common are secondhand CRTs that can do triple-digit refresh rates?

Attached: a936d726ea002bfea990112e640818c66e1d355d.jpg (400x300, 16K)

Almost immediate. LCDs without ULMB or LightBoost have blur even at 144hz. You can see clearer movement even at 75hz on a CRT vs a triple digit LCD.

As for your second question, a ton of CRTs could do it as it was a lot easier to do on that tech using regular parts.

Basically this
Good luck finding one cheap in a decent size over 21" that does not need some sort of repair or expensive

I picked up a 22” NEC Accusync for $15 off Craigslist

What are the best CRT monitors that the money can buy actually?
Excluding the mythic FW900 that I will never find in this shithole.

basically all CRT that people sell now are from like 1999-2005 all of them can do 120hz

it would be very rare to find one that cant do above 80 or 75 or some thing.

also even if the monitor is rated at 60hz power it can still do 120hz. I mistake this and got worried after getting 3 CRT form 2005 109b6 Philips and noticed only 60hz on the power card at the back of monitor but yer by 2005 every CRT could do 120hz.

don't worry about getting a good model care more about getting one in good condition and with out scratches etc imo. even the crappy ones from 1999-2005 where still good if you tuned them properly the main reason people like Trinitron and dimontron is they had this nice postprocessing effect that made them seem sharper. they are nice but imo not worth spending 100$ for.

I got my CRTs for 20$ but basically your just tipping the guy selling it for the effort it takes to open his door and walk out to you.

also the secret to making non dimontron and Trinitron CRT look good is disable the post processing they come with the 109b6 comes with some thing called lightboost which is like its budjet "special feature" its totally shit and fucks up the image turning it off improves image quality massively.

even if you get a CRT that looks shit spend a good hour trying every combination of color brightness and contrast in settings and you will probably find a good one. just because it bleeds color doesn't mean its broken often the settings are just shit.

all the FW900 are probably in Hollywood editing studios atm in LA. pretty sure they sell for like 1000$+ maybe more.

its like the best Walkman's Hollywood uses them when they want high quality audio in a tight place when digital recorders will get distorted or some thing so all the DC82408 or what ever they are called that have the record function sell for like 800+$

general motors had alot of FW900s some guy on here got a bunch from their design office so if you really desperate for one maybe email engineering companies in a big city near you you might get lucky and their IT guy might have them

Power rating =\= refresh rate limit, retard. Two totally different things

also while the FW900 is great playing at 4:3 is actually advantageous in esports

It's not really dependant on the age of the monitor if it can do 120hz, something like an early 90's Panasync can do 120hz but only at 800x600.
Some models of that era even have 640x480@160hz available.
Once you get to something like 1600x1200@120hz, it gets a bit trickier. Even most mid 2000's CRT don't support that, so always read the specs.

>also even if the monitor is rated at 60hz power it can still do 120hz
>main reason people like Trinitron and dimontron is they had this nice postprocessing effect that made them seem sharper.

holy shit dude you know nothing.
the frequency of main power has nothing to do with the refresh rate of the screen, and the reason people like Trinitrons is because of their unique aperture grille display, which makes them sharper without a doubt and is absolutely worth it.

yer I mean most monitors from 1999-2005 support 1024x768 at 120hz the most common res to use on a CRT imo.

the nicest CRT imo is Apple Dimontron 17inch VGA CRT

I think they sold them from 2000-2002 or some thing I found one ounce but some one cut the cable :( it worked but couldn't find replacement cable because apple one was different size to standard :( and didn't have skills to rewire it

ive used both a Dimontron and Trinitron from 1995-2000

my 109b6 from 2005 is sharper.

and imo looking at the dimon and Trinitron they do have post processing going on it looks like it has AA on the screen if people think its the grill I think its miss diagnosed and that's just what people thought it was at the time.

I don't know what the internals are of my 2005 109b6 but its way sharper and more raw looks more like a LCD.

not saying the Dimontron and Trinitron don't look nice thou but it doesn't look like a raw image to me.

de_dust

CS 1.5

muh nga

My CRT, max vertical frequency 160HZ @ 800X600 for CS 1.6 and Quake 3. Feels good man

A new monitor won't make you a better player.

The correct video settings in tandem with the games correct launch options will help though.

Pretty common - most 17" and up monitors can do 100+Hz. Many cannot do this above 800x600 or 1024x768 though.

Wrong, the correct statement is that a better monitor (if we’re talking about refresh rate) won’t guarantee you to be a better player, but it has the potential, as it does have benefits. Not everyone will benefit but there will always be someone that will increase in skill level because of the advantage of the refresh rate boost due to the reduction of blur.

Any with a Trinitron or Diamondtron AG tube. I used to have an old Dell shadow mask CRT and it had massive bloom as well as curviness that couldn't be compensated for. Tried selling it but after several months with no buyers I ended up selling it for scrap metal.