Which one should I get Jow Forums? Leaning towards the GPD Win because of price and Steam support. Thoughts...

Which one should I get Jow Forums? Leaning towards the GPD Win because of price and Steam support. Thoughts? Mostly emulation use (Gamecube and back). Any other handhelds to consider?

Attached: PSX_20180613_150521.jpg (378x735, 34K)

get a GPD pocket

I want the built-in controller....

Bump of interest

GPD Win 2 or wait for GPD Pocket 2.
I got a Win. I love it despite some of its flaws and my paranoia over its battery (they have been known to swell. Mine hasn't but I own 2 spare batteries just in case). But the Win 2 is like a whole plane above it.
We're talking about 3w TDP Win 2 being better than the Win 1 at full power. And the Win 2 usually runs at 7w TDP. In some cases it is like 3x faster. And you can potentially crank it to 12w TDP for a significant boost (though 8-9w seems most stable before overheating issues and throttling occurs).
My Win 2 arrives tomorrow. I can't wait.

A+ cert holder here: both are dogshit thin clients that are going to massively disappoint you more than owning a macbook especially the fat red chromebook thingue with an ARM SoC from WW2.

With the Win 1. I must add that my one is an old one from the second manufacturing batch.
When I first got it, it would blue screen constantly. To the point I had to reinstall windows. What solved it was downclocking the RAM speeds to the lowest setting (which doesn't affect performance all that much), and setting the CPU to max out at 99%, disabling the turbo boost.
That's what caused my Win 1 to overheat and BSOD. Since then never had a single issue. I have used it to browse the net a lot, and play loads of indie games. It's great for 2D Metroidvanias.
But I have never updated it past the first Windows 10 creators update, and I only browse like 5 websites online and I use adblocker.
Also it's good to whitelist your game directories in Windows Defender. Stops the constant disc scanning that eMMC chips absolutely hate.

>A+ cert holder

Attached: 1526719071047.gif (264x264, 1.37M)

The GPD is overpriced but usable and you can buy it right now.
The Pyra is WAY overpriced but open source so its worth it, but it isn't even available yet.
The Pyra is more for tinkerers than gamers, its open source and has lower specs. Get the GPD if you want to play games. If you want to tinker with an open source mobile platform then wait for the Pyra.

Why the fuck would you pay $600 for a phone-sized shitbox with an outdated atom chip?

>the constant disc scanning that eMMC chips absolutely hate
Wait, so excessive reads can thrash emmc chips in mobile devices? How is it different from a regular solid state drive or flash chip? Are microsd cards affected by the same thing?

I'm confused, do you think I'm stupid or you doubt me having said cert?

*snaps*

It's an A+ cert. Not that special, literally required for about any IT job.

I worked super hard for that shit mang. :^(

I'm working on getting my S+ and N+ too.

That's great, keep up the good work, just that flaunting your cert around doesn't get you any cred.

hmmm ok, but I will when I become a sysadmin though right?

Attached: 1418939290935.jpg (1200x938, 307K)

sure i guess. Flaunt job position and experience not basic certs.

Attached: dontknowman.jpg (554x439, 63K)

It's just Writes that wears out flash memory the most. eMMC and SD cards usually have very low endurance, as little as 100 write cycles.
It's common for lower capacity ones like 32GB or 64GB to die in a year of driving in a dashcam.

I'm going with Pyra myself, but I gotta admit, it's less about playing games and more about using your hacker skills to get the games running on an outdated ARM SoC in the first place.

If you gotta ask what the purpose of porting games to a device that less than ten thousand people will use ever is, you're already disqualified from Pyra.

Yeah, I've heard that. Don't think windows defender does significant writes to your system though right?

see
Certs exist to get you by the keyword screening drones in HR. Everyone who actually has them and isn't a fag knows that they don't count for jackshit.

Yeah, Defender shouldn't do anything detrimental.

Kek fucking asshurt janitor. Shitposting on cringy tripfags is an absolute staple of imageboard culture.

what, what happened - I dropped my phone and it rebooted

Attached: 1358658941133.jpg (595x652, 241K)

GPD Win (or if you need the power and can live with the worse controls, a GPD Win 2).

Attached: 1517723020713.jpg (450x426, 36K)

Any eMMC and *SD made after 2010 will easily write it's size a FEW thousand times.
They also have wear leveling in the controller itself. You can check this all by googling the part number of the Win eMMC flash chip.

Please update your knowledge before spewing out bullshit.

Or how about you stop sucking dick and actually do some research on the issue before spouting bullshit.
There's countless articles online detailing dashcam use and shit endurance on current SD cards.

>dropped my phone and it rebooted

The state of poorfaggotry tech.

>red_1337_star762
You used to be a massive shill for SMACH Z. What happened? Mommy didn't buy you a UMPC and now you're a bitter retard shitposting about them?
Fucking tech illiteracy, anyone with a brain knows that these aren't going to get desktop level performance.

Let's remind everyone that this is the tripfag who tought SMACH Z was possible and shilled it religiously.

>Dashcam
>something that writes HD contents continuously when in use easily filling up the card over and over several times turning a few hours drive a day
Really? I think you also have reading comprehension, I never denied that.
But in use in something like a computer a microSD or eMMC, you can fill it up to the brink, copy all data off it, format it and copy all data back, EVERY SINGLE DAY, for 6-7 years before it will wear out. Even a pagefile won't be an issue anymore when you don't expect it to last more than 5 years.
This isn't 2008.

No its not about how durable the memory is. What I was referring to is the fact that Windows Defender in Windows 10 has a habit of constantly scanning folders which both uses up precious CPU power, and eMMC memory is quite slow and doesnt like multi-tasking read and write cycles. So if you have a large folder thats updated a lot (like a steam games folder) and its not whitelisted, windows defender will constantly try to scan it for viruses and malware and cripple the devices speed until its done.

Pretty much this

This also applies to external flash memory you plug into it too. That needs to be whitelisted because the poor little Atom still has to determine if the file is safe and needs to be quarantined or not.

>Using Windows Defender
Nobody is that dumb in the first place.

You dont really want to use ANY antivirus on the Win ideally but out of many of them, Windows Defender takes up less resources.

Why would you use an antivirus these days in the first place? Common sense is all you need, maybe a sandbox when you do shady shit.
Even if you are a normie with no brain, on a portable gaming device, what would you do with it to need an antivirus?

Also I noticed you're talking about Creators update () when LTSB exists, another huge WHY.

>When I first got it, it would blue screen constantly. To the point I had to reinstall windows. What solved it was downclocking the RAM speeds to the lowest setting (which doesn't affect performance all that much), and setting the CPU to max out at 99%, disabling the turbo boost.
>That's what caused my Win 1 to overheat and BSOD.
You mean second bach as in the pre-first revision but not the initial backer batch? I have a first revision one (February 2017) and I run it at constant turbo clocks, when the fan is set on max, I have a hard time even getting to 70C in a room environment at full load, don't think I ever encountered a BSOD also. But I know pre-first revision units had power and overheating problems that caused BSODs.

Because I can't be bothered to reinstall windows on the Win again. Its kind of a pain to do and to reinstall the drivers for, (like a lot of chinese devices). I know all about LTSB.
And you cant exactly turn Windows Defender off in Windows 10. It will eventually reactivate itself no matter what registry hacks you use.
So any antivirus you would use is stacked ontop of defender anyway. Whitelisting is a good way to bypass it, thats my point.

>Its kind of a pain to do and to reinstall the drivers for, (like a lot of chinese devices).
What's so difficult, 'burn' iso to USB.
Install.
Install each of the drivers in the GPD Win driver pack.

>And you cant exactly turn Windows Defender off in Windows 10.
That's why you would preferably run LTSB in the first place.

Attached: 0.jpg (505x489, 153K)

lmao another new tripfag nobody gives a shit about
>A+ cert holder here:
ahahahahahahahaha

You must be know for not knowing who that laughing stock is.

You've posted in every thread with your spic tripfaggotry, go away before we turn your whole family into ICE.

>getting this buttblasted over a tripfag

Wtf, they are making UMPCs again in 2018??
Last I remember some Korean company stopped making them around 2012. Pic related reminds me of Paul Allen's concept PC.
Any other ultra mobile PCs that are out? I mean x64, not cell phone architecture.

>Wtf, they are making UMPCs again in 2018??
Where have you been for the past few years? This is old shit already.

Out in the real world. Haven't had a chance to keep up on on the tech and Wikipedia's entry on these small PCs is woefully inadequate.