EGPUs

Anyone here have experience with eGPU+laptop setup? How effective would you say these setups are?

Attached: egpu.jpg (4032x3024, 1.4M)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/222203424904
amazon.com/dp/B06XW7F39M
protocase.com/products/electronic-enclosures/aluminum.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>buy 300$ laptop
>don't like performance
>buy 500$ gpu
>buy 200$ case and cords
Wow its so cheap!

It's just better to have a separate gaming desktop for home, and a sturdy and fast laptop with good battery for work or school. Gaming and laptops don't mix, no matter how many different ways you put it. Don't buy into the marketing hype.

thunderbolt egpu: not really cost effective vs a ~*gayming laptop*~ or real-ass desktop

expresscard egpu + old business laptop: $300 and you can play most games on medium if they're optimized well

Attached: janktop.jpg (4032x3024, 1.06M)

Dumping.

Attached: eGPU bottleneck.png (1032x92, 11K)

Attached: eGPU just a phase not a solution 2.png (783x117, 14K)

Attached: egpu meme 1a.jpg (1489x765, 250K)

Attached: egpu meme 2a.png (1361x230, 83K)

There's no portability in an eGPU setup. What you're actually getting is "shared storage" between your portable device (laptop) and gaming device.

Attached: non-retard solution to eGPU 2.png (1034x592, 101K)

I get the whole its not cost effective, but if I already have a thunderbolt 3 laptop with 4 PCI-e lanes and a monitor to run it to, it feels like a waste to build a separate desktop when all I really want is a gpu

fucken /thread

the only ones that make sense are the dirt cheap laptops with stronk CPUs (t520 with a quad core i7 for instance) + a cheap eGPU connector and something relatively capable like a 1050/rx560. Any more than that will be too much money and a laptop with a mobile 1050/rx560 will be better

I have an Alienware 15 r2 and 1070ti in a graphics amp.

I use the amp mostly as a docking station. Works well enough, except for the lack of hot-undock.

Eh, for what I paid, I'm fine with it.

this

owner of x230 with 750ti for triple 27" monitors, maximum comfiness

>Alienware
Get the fuck outta here boy.

Nope, now go fuck yourself...

Thinking of using the PCi adapter to plug in a 750 on my ASUS X550CA. I have an Ethernet connection so getting rid of the wifi card is no big deal at all. Worth?

BAZOOKA
Yeah us nerds have the bestist laptops. Kill yourself.

Attached: 63697.jpg (640x360, 31K)

>Kill yourself.
Maybe, but I'm taking you and possibly your family with me...

Eh, it's not for portability, it's for having some extra power when you have it docked on your desk. That said, it IS gimmicky, though not nearly as gimmicky as a "gaming" laptop or as expensive as paying the overprice mobile workstations come with.

They're really, REALLY fucking bad.

This is such a bad idea
Get a Ryzen laptop for fucks sake

you can get some quite discrete laptops packing a gtx1050/rx560.

pic related

Attached: IMG_3187.jpg (1068x801, 152K)

Your pic related is what I was talking about here
, learn the difference between a discrete gpu and an integrated gpu

eGPUs are mostly pointless.

- They have an overhead from the Thunderbolt 3 to PCI/e conversion, and lose varying (but always significant) levels of performance. In essence, any GPU above a GTX 970 will suffer a performance loss. 1060Ns will beat 1060s on a bad day, and match them on a good day. 1070s will perform like 1060s, and 1080s can even be beaten by 1060Ns on a bad day. 1080Ti is the only card basically guaranteed to surpass a 1060N in an eGPU housing.
- eGPUs also use Optimus/Enduro tech. This means that the iGPU is still running the display, and you lack specific benefits that the GPUs have like monitor colour control, etc. And some games have problems with or dislike Optimus (Nvidia) with Enduro (AMD) being FAR more problematic.
- eGPUs also have the added cost of the housing, and are generally otherwise more than they're worth. A decent notebook and an eGPU with a 1070 is almost always going to cost less than a decent notebook with a 1070N in it.
- Only eGPUs that are designed for the notebook using a proprietary connector OR a M.2 NGFF form factor (usually reserved to DIY solutions) make any real sense as an eGPU. Examples are Alienware and the AGA units. Any other notebook using an eGPU should have no dGPU at all to make sense to use.

I have something better docked to my desk. It's called a desktop.

I have a quad core t430 with an express card dock. I already owned a gtx970, and the monitor, the dock + power supply was about 100$. My living arrangements are not very spacious for the next year, so it's an ideal solution. I'm obviously not getting 100% performance but I do not care it's good enough for how cheap it is.

lmao no one cares. laughing at your autistic effort quoting everyone though

>quoting everyone in the thread
I haven't even read your post and I already know you're a retard

>overhead from Thunderbolt 3 to PCI-e
oh no PCI-e 3.0 x4 bandwidth is sooo low
Until you realize that the REAL WORLD performance is incredibly good even despite the lack of bandwidth.

Gaymer faggots might bitch and moan that they can't play 4K 60FPS with a 1080ti, but for people who aren't autistic and have better things to do with their lives than own a laptop, a desktop, a phone, a tablet, and all of the latest consoles, they can just own a laptop, a GPU and a monitor and be good to go.

>the iGPU is still running the (laptop) display
>color control
Who fucking cares? Graphics professionals will be using desktops with color calibrated monitors provided by their workplace.

And the GPU is driving the external display, which is what matters.

>added cost of housing and generally cost more than they're worth
A niche form factor is expensive, big whoop. Meanwhile you can own ONE laptop for ALL of your computing needs.
>1070N
Are you seriously trying to compare a desktop GPU against a mobile GPU?

>proprietary eGPUs
Again you're trying to make the bandwidth argument when it only makes sense to gaymers who want to play the hip new fad game on 4K @ 60FPS.

People with lives to live can settle for being able to forever upgrade the GPU on their laptop, extending its life to over 10 years with a good i7 quad core CPU.

Again, this is retarded
Just get a Ryzen Pro laptop

>just buy [this stupid piece of shit that you're going to have to replace in 2 years because devs can't optimize worth shit anymore]
Yeah whatever Ofer, no one buys your shit.

Going by your retarded logic stated in this post
, it makes sense, also
>implying Fine Wine™ isn't a thing
BOI

>i'm just going to call him retarded without making any points that'll get him
/v/ out of 10, congrats man you should go back there with all of the other kids with no money or actual experience with any of the technology in this thread

I use an eGPU setup for my laptop, I've posted it a couple times in /tpg/. Would post pictures, but they're on my phone and it's dead.

It isn't the best setup in the world and does struggle on certain games (insane microstutters on Fallout 4 no matter what settings), overall it performs as well as I had expected given the connection (expresscard) and the GPU.

My laptop is a Thinkpad X220 i7 with 12Gb RAM. The card I'm using is an Asus 750Ti ($60 on eBay), adapter is the EXP GDC Beast V8 (~$50) and the power supply is an EVGA 450 B3 ($60). Which is probably overkill, but I wanted to exceed the wattage requirement for the card and modular was a requirement for me because I'm going to make cables that aren't retardedly long.

For the most part it's a smooth running solution to graphics on my machine. One thing to be aware of with these set ups is there is quite a decent performance hit when running on the internal monitor. Older games I can max out pretty well, Fallout 3 runs at 60+ fps on highest settings, I get about 45-55 fps on Metro: Last Light on nearly ultra, 60 fps on SOMA maxed. It does what I need it to, and anything it can't do I'll be able to run on my desktop. I may try to pick up a 680 or something with a little more juice just for comparison.

Question:
Can you do eGPU on an internal screen if you don't have Optimus? My laptop (W510) doesn't have an integrated GPU, only a dedicated, so no optimus. Can it still send the picture from the external GPU to the internal dedicated GPU?

>2018
>eGPUs suddenly popular
>remember how we used to use and talk about them on Jow Forums 9 years ago
Normies finally catched up.

I wrote a long ass post earlier in the thread
I have a ThinkPad W530, i7 3720QM and 32GB RAM.
I used a GTX 970, later a 980 with a PE4C. Expresscard.

In other words, PCI-e 2.0 x1.2Opt

The only game I managed to test with it was Homefront 2, which performed stably well at 1080p.
Not the best test environment, because Homefront 2 was known to run like shit on all environments

Mind sharing your setup? From what I know you need an Ultrabay 3, then you're porting out the laptop screen to an external one?

>mass replying

Attached: ;^).png (757x622, 464K)

You cannot do eGPU on an internal screen --at all--

You may be able to pull it off with proprietary eGPUs like the ones available on Alienware and MSI laptops, but even then I would do my research and make sure they can actually pull it off.

Nice pre-assembled cases and convenient software will do that. The gaymen companies realized they're marketable.

It's not the greasy cables everywhere, bugging the fuck out, self soldered adapter boards of 5+ years agp.

>convenient software
eGPUs didn't really become viable until that Nando guy released his Windows bootstrapping tool that fiddled with the PCIe lanes

Yeah I haven't got around to testing too much because I've been playing Xbox mostly. I'd be interested to hear some more fps numbers out of that 980, see if maybe it is worth me upgrading cards.

Idk about that tool, mine's the 750Ti setup mentioned above, I just changed a couple BIOS settings, plugged it in, checked that it was recognized, and tried a couple recommended Nvidia drivers from other people's egpu guides until it stopped bluescreening.

But that's still more hassle than most people can handle.

Are there any diy solutions for thunderbolt 3 based laptops? The cases are way to fuckin expensive

Cases are too expensive for what they are and ontop of that you need a GPU

honestly the case should be

Just build a pc on a node 202, how hard is that?

Attached: fractal_design_node_202_3d_model_c4d_max_obj_fbx_ma_lwo_3ds_3dm_stl_1638294_o.jpg (1500x1500, 130K)

you're not paying for plastic, you're paying for the royalties required to license thunderbolt to make a niche product that maybe only a few ten thousand people use.
All Thunderbolt devices are expensive. eGPUs are actually priced normally in expectation for Thunderbolt.

l-a-p-t-o-p
o-n-l-y
u-s-e-r

d-u-m-b

It only works well on Macs, with Windows its a hacky and badly implemented solution. Who'd have thought in 2018 macOS better at eGPUs than the gaming OS itself.

>there is absolutely no one in the world who will ever want to do anything different from me
>why would anyone ever want to diverge from the absolute LOCUS of perfection that is myself
>how could anyone even conceive of a better path than my own?
faggot

>Intel to make Thunderbolt 3 royalty-free in bid to spur adoption
>Intel says that it is going to make the Thunderbolt 3 specification available on a non-exclusive, royalty-free basis. This will enable third parties to integrate the interface into their own silicon, opening the door to, for example, AMD systems with Thunderbolt 3 support and cheaper chips for the device end of the cable.

yeah sure thing buddy

This is wrong retard, I'm literally running an eGPU to internal monitor while typing this.

>implying you didn't unplug the LVDS cable and attach an LVDS to HDMI/DisplayPort adapter
>implying you didn't just plug in an eGPU and ``think'' you got significant gains
>implying you aren't losing performance through the communication overhead of every frame having to take a CPU -> eGPU -> dGPU -> monitor path

Wrong. I plug in, reboot, it works. On Windows 7.

Yeah, on High Sierra you just plug in. Nothing else. Know the topic before making a post.

Gaming on a laptop it's not meant to be cheap.

Retards can't understand that some limitations are non-negotiable, which mean, you can't have a desktop at home and if you still want to game then price it's the compromise.

But still, it likely is cheaper than spending money on a "gaming laptop" with dedicated GPU since manufacturers can barely make dedicated GPUs last long enough to be out of warranty, usually 2 years, even mid tier laptops with dedicated GPUs are unlikely to be functional after 3-4 years.

With eGPU at least you can squeeze some 5+ years of functional usage for both the laptop and the GPU.

Another durable option it's cloud gaming but that will take a lot of time to be really available.

meanwhile Thunderbolt external disk arrays, for NAS usage cost exactly the same.

If you have the desktop Nvidia drivers already installed, the eGPU should just be detected on Windows with no extra effort.
Assuming you're using Thunderbolt.

When I ran my expresscard setup, I could hotplug my eGPU as long as nothing was on it. Else you'd get a kernel panic.

I go from 15fps unplayable in CS:GO to 50fps. I don't "think" it has gains.

that's manufacturers just making money then

don't blame it on licensing costs like you did.

As i said the boxes are too expensive for what they are

"google thunderbolt royalties"
"lotsa results"
"oh gee they have royalties then"
shit son you need to chill, this ain't /v/

You said it's a hacky and badly implemented solution. A reboot ins't a big deal.

bet you'd get double on an external monitor

>thunderbolt royalties
>all results saying royalty free

what the fuck are you talking about dumb cunt

i said it was free. You're trying to justify a pcie board in a box for $300+

I get more than double in most cases. But you were saying you can't run it with internal monitor. You can, it's just not worth it when you can plug in a monitor and get a much larger gain.

splitting hairs
you got acceptable performance on games that were designed to run on toasters
not everyone does that
don't give people unwarranted expectations

All right let's get the pricing settled
I didn't want to literally go out and price every element of an eGPU setup but here it fuckin' is

PE4C ExpressCard to PCI-e 2.0 x16 adapter. $128
ebay.com/itm/222203424904
Power supply 300W for any GPU - $50-80
amazon.com/dp/B06XW7F39M

You just blew past $200 on the base parts.
Now you add a custom case. Not even going to bother with that calculation because of how much it gets influenced by scale, but pretend it's in the $50-100 area per unit. The cost is in the labor and machining, not materials.

These guys aren't making as much as you think they are

>quoting 2 items at retail price
>picked an express card one so it's inflated price because harder to get

You can't be this fucking stupid

>custom case
>it being $50-100

top fucking kek

Just like all pc cases right

all so custom how does corsair do it! 5x the size and not even double the cost

Intel strangely relinquished ownership of Thunderbolt not long ago.

>expresscard
Excuse me, I haven't heard of any viable non-proprietary eGPU technology besides mPCIe, ExpressCard, and Thunderbolt
If you'd like to pull your head out of your ass you're welcome to do so at any time

>corsair
Because they make tens of thousands of units for each product line and they know it will sell, moron.

Have you even graduated high school? Did they not teach the concept of economy of scale in your crap part of the world?

And the size of a sheet metal case has nothing to do with the cost of the product.
It's about COMPLEXITY.

A case made up entirely of a hex comb grid bent using a brake press into the shape of a case seems simple but takes a ridiculous amount of time to machine.
Every bend, every cut, every rivet and stamp adds more setup time and more actual time spent machining ONE part. And then they have to finish and deburr it so that it doesn't look like shit or cut your hand when it gets to you.

I'd tell you to go to /diy/ but you're just going to shit up the place. In fact, stay far away.

I dare you to design a case and have it manufactured if you want to put your head in a place where it belongs
protocase.com/products/electronic-enclosures/aluminum.php

And they're making tens of thousands of e gpu cases

even 10k units is like 4 units to most US retailers, then you have Asia, Oceania,Europe also

The fact you think they're making shit all money on it and it's so hard work de-burring edges just shows how much of a shill you are

By your logic macbook pros are reasonably priced with that aluminium unibody taking so long to be machined and oh god those edges not cutting me

Make a case for your PC then if you think it's so goddamn cheap. I bet you can't.

This is the last (You) you'll be getting from me, you fucking deaf mute.

Dude you earned that 9 cents

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise!

I don't value my time at

The only scenario I could see one being useful is if you had mutiple computers in a house, and one GPU to split between them. So a laptop, desktop, and HTPC all had cpus with integrated graphics, and an egpu to share between them depending on what computer was going to have games played on it.

x230 + 4338 docking station (i used 2 dvi outputs on the back of it when i had only 2 monitors) + pciexpress exp gdc + 750ti + monitors

mouse keyboard audio and power are connected to dock, you put the laptop in, slide express card in, and connect 3 monitors to gpu (gigabyte model so it has 4 outputs)

and you're set, you need to boot when pcie is in, but then you can remove laptop from dock anytime and plug it back in when it's on

forgot to add, laptop stays closed, when you pull up the lid it switches to internal screen, when pull down switches to gpu

The only reason I'm attracted to the idea of eGPU is that I use a laptop at uni and portability, which is really important, be it a cafe or be it a just using laptop in bed.

If I make a miniTX PC build can I use syncthing to sync all my files when at home? And then could I use the laptop as another screen using whatever the linux equivalent of synergy is?

>Kill yourself
That's way over the line. I'd hope no one would say that to you or anyone you care about.

Imagine lugging this thing to lecture

Why would it be so difficult to design a standardised docking port with 8 or more pcie lanes with some form of power delivery over 1m? Like a flat connector on the bottom of your laptop.
Modern server boards can already plug and play pcie.

They are only worth it when you have a laptop with Thunderbolt 3 and a PCI-E x4 full speed connection. Lots of TB3 laptops do NOT have a full PCI-E x4 connection and only put a x2 or x1 data transfer speed in there. Note this is not the PCI-E card on the motherboard slot or type of GPU, but the lanes accessible to the laptop from the TB3 interface

With TB3 and PCI-E x4 it is actually pretty great; depending on the enclosure and card within it of course. A good enclosure with a good power supply, GPU etc.. and its close to desktop ish performance in many cases

rsync?

just wanted to throw in that PCIe gen 3 is 1 GB per lane and each lane has 2 channels. One for input and one for output. I run an eGPU at gen 2 x1 lane and performance is ok. TB3 isnt a bottleneck.
I agree that buying an egpu dock and gpu are too pricy.
I was able to get a mediocre one for $70 and a good deal on an GTX 970 for about $185. I pair it with a $50 Sony Trinitron 21 inch CRT so I only need about 85 frames for fluid gameplay (it can do up to 170 fps tho) That's $300 for all that. Thats what an typical TB3 egpu will cist you.
What drives this setup is a T430 with an i7. eGPU is via express card. its not as good as TB3 but im satisfied.

Attached: IMG_20180604_231532.jpg (3264x2448, 795K)