/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: acb6bef4d1e0f994b20b18dbc7489f5c.jpg (800x1071, 275K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8d2h8g/with_sennheisers_hd_600_i_cant_tell_the/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8n9n29/fiio_e10k_vs_magni_3_in_ab_blind_test_thats/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7zuflj/whats_the_benefit_of_an_external_ampdac_for_the/
tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/
youtu.be/jVygqjyS4CA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attached: 1F2E4D20-E5AD-4531-87B1-23BA263F85E9.jpg (2466x3744, 1.84M)

The sound of the ATH-AD500X and the HD-681 are so burned into my brain that anything with a normal amount of bass sounds dark and congested to me. What are some nicer headphones/in-ears that I should try with this sound sig in mind?

Attached: 1526245069793.gif (800x400, 121K)

someone help me
I really like the way schiit looks but I dont wanna receive buyers remorse induced shilling
new owner to HD800 fag back again

STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX

Attached: 1519808944975.png (486x810, 584K)

Attached: hpg dac&amp.png (721x1434, 369K)

Srs3100

HD600 here. What's your idol trash, user?

Attached: 1521728600362.jpg (1920x1173, 482K)

proof would do your kind good. tfw you buy a meme amp from a meme guide and it does literally nothing when you could have put that money into a headphone

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8d2h8g/with_sennheisers_hd_600_i_cant_tell_the/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8n9n29/fiio_e10k_vs_magni_3_in_ab_blind_test_thats/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7zuflj/whats_the_benefit_of_an_external_ampdac_for_the/

tfw you can tell the difference between amps and can win $10,000 for free!

tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/

don't come in here thinking you can make some bullshit guide without any due diligence on your part and get away with it.

Attached: 72j0lp4id3i01.jpg (2566x1414, 363K)

I'm editing this to make a new one with the suggestions last thread, will post later when I'm back home

What's the consensus on the O2/ODAC?

The amp is good, the DAC is outdated.

Build quality could be better. HD600 even have better build.

Attached: nothingkid.png (623x721, 126K)

>the dac is outdated

How so?

Attached: solemn-judgment.png (300x437, 316K)

better cheaper measuring alternatives that don't make a difference sonically but if you're buying a dac anyways might as well get the best value for your dollar

Just got myself a pair of srh840 and wew lad these things isolate and sound good as af.

I know, argons are pretty bad right? How's saving for your first stax going btw

>I'm editing this to make a new one with the suggestions last thread, will post later when I'm back home
you are trying to make a guide on something that /hpg/ will never agree on so what are you trying to accomplish?

>no feet

Attached: 1447173070599.jpg (500x375, 15K)

>tfw argon buys stax but has to pretend he has always owned them

This senpai

Got them in 2017. I like them. The build quality is not too good. Argons are built very well.

Attached: Capture.jpg (811x853, 68K)

>Got them in 2017. I like them.
should have posted pictures with your argons then, especially since people were harping on you for not owning stax. shame you have to pretend that you own them until they arrive (if you haven't edited the picture)

It's obviously a fake receipt, argon autist can't afford a camera how do you expect him to afford stax

>should have posted pictures with your argons then
Should have. Forgot about them desu. Now I don't have a camera to lend at the moment and I ain't gonna buy one to prove to some people on a anime image board that I own something I know I own. I could lug my thinkpad and make a rig to take a pic of them but that is autistic.

Attached: 1525635671774.png (3763x2117, 3.43M)

>Forgot about them desu
no you didn't. you spend all your time here shitposting. you didn't forget.
>I ain't gonna buy one to prove to some people on a anime image board that I own something I know I own
credibility/respect is earned, you have none, and show no interesting in getting any so don't go around wondering why people hate you.

How's saving up for your first stax going?

Which superlux is better: HD681 Evo or HD330?

>you spend all your time here shitposting.
I posted about 3 times in the last thread. Even ignore people when they think it's me and blame me. I could not get through life If I thought what some person I don't know on 4 Chan thinks of me. Must be rough.
I don't feel the need to get the L700 yet so not very good.

>Even ignore people when they think it's me and blame me.
You reap what you sow.
>I could not get through life If I thought what some person I don't know on 4 Chan thinks of me. Must be rough.
If you don't care then stop posting. You can't expect to shitpost memes and act like your opinion matters, or that you are an authority in ANY capacity, but not prove yourself.

Any recommended sticker for my Argon mk3 case? Something that speaks for me.

Attached: 1528788461675.png (240x262, 91K)

>opinion
lol

Don't waste money, you have to save up for your first stax.

Okay okay. Enough of this bickering . What do you guys think of the Argon mk3?

Attached: 3ldWh6AzNeN_1NZ3fSRX-Zhpsb-vG7z5_1LE4hq-_uU.jpg (878x1300, 229K)

here's version 2

Attached: hpg dac&amp.png (741x1556, 364K)

SRH840 were my very first headphones and to this day I still like them.

You still haven't told me how saving up for your first stax is going.

No schiit stack?

Attached: 1479531651559.png (317x266, 47K)

literally no one cares about the argon now that argon user has run it into the ground. shut the fuck up and an hero yourself.

oh thats the wrong file, I fixed the top

Attached: hpg dac&amp.png (741x1556, 362K)

>argon user has run it into the ground
Are you sure about that?

Attached: Capture.png (743x657, 187K)

youtu.be/jVygqjyS4CA

feel free to go talk about it elsewhere, like on reddit or the zeos discord

could you guys imagine not owning Stax?

no I can't imagine being a huge faggot

I'm straight so no

Of course not.

So I'm guessing that dacs like the ODAC is terribly outdated then?

it makes no sonic difference. jesus fuck this is why we can't have dac/amp guides they are misleading

the odac is totally fine, but not better than the topping in any major way and I wanted to keep the guide very short so there's just a few recommendations. there could be like 20 dacs there

Well, at least it's nice to know that I don't need one then. I am pretty happy with my 02 amp.

>Well, at least it's nice to know that I don't need one then.
you are exactly right and the people spreading the amp meme guides are fucking cancer

Do you still use your HD598?

Ignorance is bliss

buy stax

I put them on once in a while, half for nostalgia reasons, half because I have a lot of friends who own HD598 and sometimes I just want to know what this or that song sounds like for them.
They excel at chihaya's aoi tori for some reason, but they fall apart when there's a lot going on at the same time, such as in nemurihime.

Attached: 1508321276069.png (1920x1080, 2.89M)

A chinkshit 252S? fuck that and chifi stats. Stax cannot be accused of elitism. SRS-3100 is a well priced product with no performance limitation compared to the expensive stuff, and, at $500, the SRS-2170 was outright theft.

The head-case mob also gets undeserved criticism over alleged elitism. The SRX-Plus design and their occasional interest in producing an estat headphone kit prove that elitism is not their mindset.

Spritzer said, and I accept this, that a lot of people don't want cheap amps and estat headphones. That's why the product range of Stax is as it is.

gonna buy stax yet?

>Spritzer said, and I accept this, that a lot of people don't want cheap amps and estat headphones. That's why the product range of Stax is as it is.
horse shit elitism, fuck off.

bad op gay propaganda shit

Not yet. But I will! Eventually.

Attached: 1528695892728.png (1920x1080, 2.79M)

Spritzer is a faggot and a snake oil salesman. I agree with everything else you say but fuck spritzer and fuck the lunatics at head case. If SBAF is an audio cult, head case is spritzer's audio cult of personality.

matched drivers

L300LE + sr-252, sell your schiit stack + hd600. it will be lighter to travel with, you get an overall sonic upgrade, and you'd be getting great value for the dollar. if you still want to go up the estat ladder you can do that when you live in japan, that sound like a good compromise?

its amazing that people think it doesn't take anything to make an electrostatic headphone, when so many companies have tried and failed. stax are really not making a lot of money for what they do, which is why they went bankrupt in the first place.

Haven't heard the HD330, but I was immediately not a fan of the evo. IMO overpowering muddy bass, and crap mids and highs. It's one of those things that's good for the price because they are dirt cheap, but anything else is better.

>when so many companies have tried and failed
considering diy autists have made orpheus clones that are better than the originals and there's a huge speaker estat community I would say you are full of shit basing that on a couple select companies that haven't put much thought into their designs

Going to sleep. Was a long day at work, and a long day in general.
I'm forcing myself to not buy anything else until I get to a certain checkpoint @ life objectives. This is gonna take several months. Once that's done, travel lightness won't really matter anymore, and I'll likely go with L700.

Attached: 1524270213612.png (1920x1080, 2.43M)

If you go onto their site with a broken 252S or some non-working 30 year old energizer, they'll help you. Work around his boomerish pissiness.

One person made a clone, whether it's better than an orpheus is up for debate. If you want to see failed estats, look at any kingsound, the HE audio jade, the beyer estat. That or mr speakers admitting to having trouble making an estat.

Doesn't excuse peddling snake oil.

thats a cool point about sennheiser, a completely different company

list some electrostatic headphones I can buy right now with better value than stax

>If you want to see failed estats, look at any kingsound, the HE audio jade, the beyer estat.
these are all fucking ABSURD designs for an estat and it would be difficult to make something so bad. it is more difficult to make something so bad than it is to make something good
>One person made a clone, whether it's better than an orpheus is up for debate.
two, one had his measured and compared to an orpheus so who are you fooling? it measured more neutral and subjective impressions agreed with the measurements

Which is strange because estat headphones have had the basics laid out for decades. Things like 0.5 mm copper clad PCB simplify things a lot

>these are all fucking ABSURD designs for an estat and it would be difficult to make something so bad. it is more difficult to make something so bad than it is to make something good
I dunno m8, ask the designers what they were thinking. As for the orpheus, I don't know how either sounds, so I'm just going by the posts of people claiming the orpheus are the absolute pinnacle. There's room for debate, if nothing else.

>There's room for debate, if nothing else.
You've lost your skeptism because you have been too busy sucking STAX's cock on the daily that you've forgotten this market has been riddled with snake oil faggotry for longer than you've been alive and with ZERO accountability. I'd love to see measurements from STAX that the differences the gold plating on the Sr-009S stators make. Your willful ignorance and lack of pressure on the community allows for this to happen.

I'm talking about how it's debatable that a clone is better than the orpheus. You need to enhance your calm nigga.

>I'm talking about how it's debatable that a clone is better than the orpheus.
I'm not speaking towards you, I'm speaking towards everyone.
>You need to enhance your calm nigga.
If anything people are too calm, and while I don't mind the stax shitposting it needs an equal and opposite reaction

The stators have changed in more than just plating.

wonder what its like to exist in this state of fury all the time, are you this furious off of the computer too or do you get triggered by Jow Forums

Just buy headphones, amp and dac are placebo. 90%+ of sound/tone "whatever" comes from headphones. Buy only a dac if you really have a lot of noise coming from PC or something.

Attached: 1519030092807.jpg (438x438, 40K)

does any of it even matter even if you have stax will it fill the void in your life

yes of course

>are you this furious off of the computer too or do you get triggered by Jow Forums
I'm 4 days into a 20 day fast out of solidarity to help motivate my sister to lose weight so I'm triggered as FUCK by everything and just wish a nigga would. Sorry.
>The stators have changed in more than just plating.
And the omegas are literally worse as they have more resonances and dips in the FR

>I'm 4 days into a 20 day fast out of solidarity to help motivate my sister to lose weight so I'm triggered as FUCK by everything and just wish a nigga would. Sorry.
Maybe you should take a break from this shithole user.

argon more just get a $70 gaming headset that does the same thing

its ok man I just cant even imagine being that angry about headphones, I think the last time I remember being seriously angry was when I found out my dad started smoking I wouldnt really say stax headphones make me feel the same way one way or another

Budget?
Need any particular input/output?

I hope your sister isnt fasting too to lose weight. She's just gonna blow up again when she starts eating again

There's plenty not to be calm about with the audio market, and estats, in particular, attract loons. Can't say I care about stats, but someone more invested has plenty to take their anger out on.

Some of the components are becoming more scarce so the price/performance ratio is not that good
New components make building transparent DACs other than the ODAC cheaper

>and estats, in particular, attract loons.
I don't think that's the case. At least no moreso than with any other kind of transducer.

I think you take this general way too seriously.

He's gonna conniption if he finds out about something like race differences in IQ lol.

Not owning headphones will do that to user.

the plight of a nostaxer

>He's gonna conniption if he finds out about something like race differences in IQ lol.
Nah, I'm woke to the JQ but IQ tests are retarded. Gene traits that lend to more aggressiveness, sure. Size of cranial lobes, sure. IQ test is too easily swayed by environmental/societal factors and sample bias. Gender intelligence disparities I can believe, but racial intelligence disparity needs more scrutiny and IQ stats are easy to fudge (see: ashkenazi IQ higher than they actually are). Anyone taking IQ levels at face value have a low IQ themselves

Do you have genuine autism?

Put the Aune x7s in