Emacs

How do I become good at Emacs?

Attached: 1513146842073.jpg (643x1162, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/emacs/refcards/pdf/refcard.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=xSGW7CwD5GM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

25 years of customizing it to your liking.

Like you would get good at any other software - use it and read the documentation

I've been familiarizing myself with the basics by using it and trying to set it up for what I do. There are a lot of helpful guides and plenty of documentation. It's been a bit of a headache from a logistical perspective, but honestly I've had fun figuring out how to get shit done, and Emacs definitely appears to let you get shit done effectively as you familiarize yourself with it.

I printed and laminated the reference card here: gnu.org/software/emacs/refcards/pdf/refcard.pdf

sudo apt purge emacs
sudo apt install vim
alias emacs=vim

>Fourth
FPBP

Install Visual Studio and become 100x more efficient

God I want to lick her fucking thighs

Attached: ff.jpg (964x1200, 139K)

That's the answer right there. Mods, if you could go ahead and archive this thread, that'd be great. This thread has peaked.

Evil mode is your friend.
Then you're going to want to dive into the LISP rabbithole.
Godspeed.

check'd

youtube.com/watch?v=xSGW7CwD5GM

tty or x11?

i prefer tty. also elisp is a shit language but viml is much worse. i wish there was a vi clone with a sane scripting language.

Why is vim better?
I'm gonna decide between the two shortly.

>artist only posts to twitter
I know that feel, and it sucks. Or rather, there's this other site like "Nijie" they post to, and it mustn't be as accessible to english users as pixiv since no one talks about it.

Pic related is sachito. Motherfucker has a catalogue of many hundreds of sketch-type drawings I love him for, but only posts "cleaned up" versions to his pixiv. I'm not even sure how or where to get all his stuff.

Attached: 889ee95e291dbbe0e77421ba8b77ff6d422f71504c6ea902d79eee98e15f8174.png (558x533, 348K)

Reminder that Vim and Emacs can't display unbroken indent lines, like other text editors can.

Attached: 1528274282498.png (1729x985, 121K)

IMO, you just have to look at the reference card that posted, versus a comparable one for vim. Vim syntax for actual editing is simple and memorable as fuck.

Emacs beats out Vim in extensibility, but Vim (out of the box) is just miles ahead in text editing compared to Emacs (out of the box). With more tools/plugins, you can get Emacs to behave like Vim; similarly, you can get a lot of Emacs' functionality in Vim (but not everything and not easily).

Don't. Literally no reason to use emacs over an IDE unless you are programming LISP.

oh boy I sure like installing 20GB of crap I'll never use and can't get rid of just to write programs that are barely 200 lines of code in each file

Godchecked

>Needing a line to be able to see indentation
>Not using 8 width tabs
>Also using a program that opens outside of your terminal instead of one that can seamlessly switch between a terminal and a text editor

don't use a language, here problem solved.

I hate to break it to you but integrated terminals are standard on every text editor now. Acting like they are exclusive to Vim / Emacs shows just how out of touch and brainlet the average freetard is.

Attached: 1488252357420.png (552x543, 266K)

Fuck that Macfag shit
>first day CS
>professor is using some hipster bullshit called 'emacs'
>stand up
>call him a macfag
>walk out

This.

IDEs are the best when making full projects but going through several hours of tutorials to find how the particular IDE integrates with this or that environment when you're only going to try out the basics is pointless.
At the same time, doing it in a simple text editor is once again going to make you spend said hours finding basic syntax errors and what-not.

And that's where these shine. And that is completely ignoring writing actual text and not code in them.

Learn a bit of emacs-lisp from the gnu manuals, take a look at some of the cool features that are either built-in or available through packages with the Emacs Rocks! video series, check out some very well known configurations like doom-emacs, spacemacs, prelude, mike zamansky's config (also has a youtube series called "Using Emacs"), eli zaretskii's config, abo-abo's config and packages, Xah Lee's tutorials and config, follow the emacs beginner's mailing list, there's loads you can do to get to know Emacs better.

you have to become list

vim is easier but has less features

By using orgmode and implementing your own language mode.
Otherwise, why would you use emacs.

You might as well use kakoune, the fixed vim.

Attached: 1517439497638.gif (810x600, 288K)