What happened?

What happened?

Attached: 1526671290312.jpg (1000x689, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Google killed it with anti-competitive practices. Also it sucked. No applications. Older phones didn't get updates to later versions. Random crashes.

Microsoft was too late to the game.

Ahead of it's time.

>be company
>create a third pillar of smartphone operating systems
>more open than iOS, more restricted than Android
>hardware and software aligned with each other such that you can buy any phone without losing out on performance or camera button
>Americans hate it
>Europeans love it
>Get 15% market share in Europe
>decide to fuck over consumers and release major version updates with no upgrade path
>decide to release all new features in America
>decide to make a major update that makes the system more like Android - disconnect hubs from the OS to have them start with noticeable delay on weaker phones, for example
>flood market with low-end devices, remove minimum hardware requirements that were originally the appeal of the OS
>have Google fuck with you by sabotaging any attempts at having apps for Google services
>create new phones that don't work with core features of the OS (AMOLED display without buffer that doesn't support glance screen, for example)
>fuck over low-end consumers again
>only release ever bigger phones, even though the consumer base is less hungry for big slabs of glass than iOS or Android users
>release even more America-only features
>do another upgrade with no fucking communication at all, fucking consumers yet again through Win phone 10
>basically pretend the OS doesn't exist
>sales slowly approach zero

Nutella man killed it. I remember when he became CEO and got the first Q&A and answered it in true pajeet fashion - no answers, only words.

Zune 2

>Random crashes.
Oh yeah.
Reminds me of my Lumia 900.
Random crashes, as well as issues with connectivity. Sometimes it would show a connection without being connected... Just like my current Android phone, actually.
At least Windows Phone 8 didn't have that issue. It also added a toggle to keep Wifi alive when the screen is locked.
Fuck 8.1, though.

i had a nokia like in op's pic. what you say is correct but as a consumer..

shit crashed all the time.
apps refreshed when you went to another app. ex had to copy data from a pdf to a website. website would refresh and clear all form data. fucking retarded
lack of apps
tiles are an interesting premise for design but it meant that it would always fuck up your wallpaper with lines. then if you didnt create blank squares there would just be black holes in your wallpaper. fucking stupid.

Then when i moved to Android i realized that os had years worth of design and improvements over windows phone and it was impossible for microsoft to have actually caught up in a non-niche segment of the market.

I recently switched to Android and am still fucking annoyed at how incoherent it is.

Live tiles didn't always work in Windows Phone, but every app had them.
In Android, it's a coin toss whether an app has a widget, even when it would make perfect sense to have one.

The navigation buttons are done badly. In WP I could go back to the last app from the home screen by pressing back. And the tray that you pull from the top of the screen was also closed with back.
This was consistent.
In Android, there's no way to do the former (the back button literally does nothing in the situation) and the latter is done with the home button, which is inconsistent.

And then there's the designs of the apps themselves. For all the wonky shit that I had to experience WP, it was at least better than whatever the fuck is going on with apps like Xabber and K9 Mail.

When I heard about Android and customizability, I always thought you could install different window managers.
Instead, you can only add retarded skins that only barely even integrated with the GUI.
I fucking miss the clean look of my live tiles and preferred the vertical home screen with a horizontal swipe for the app list with an integrated search function.

WP was underdeveloped technologically, but in terms of high concept it blew Android out of the water.

I just wish the choice was still a thing.

The people have spoken and they want Linux phones.

I want an OS that actually works towards open-source strengths.

I want the ability to git clone a repository and compile it on my phone.
I want to download a driver package in order to gain the ability to connect to a TV by abusing the USB protocol.
I want to tinker twenty days with the window manager and remove unwanted bloat.
I want to SSH into the system while I'm at home.
I want the ability to spontaneously decide that I really need an XMPP server right fucking now, and just install ejabberd on my phone so that my buddies can communicate while the apocalypse is happening and none of the major IM services work.

Okay. You're competing with a few billion people for a voice.

Because I joined the 8.1 beta and it basically bricked my phone so I joined the iPhone race and I haven't looked back.

Attached: 1526429472511.png (1467x901, 475K)

No, micro$hit killed it by having a crappy product nooone bought.

> I want the ability to git clone a repository and compile it on my phone.
termux
> I want to download a driver package in order to gain the ability to connect to a TV by abusing the USB protocol.
custom kernels might be able to do this
> I want to tinker twenty days with the window manager and remove unwanted bloat.
go clone AOSP and see what you can debloat then
> I want to SSH into the system while I'm at home.
termux
> I want the ability to spontaneously decide that I really need an XMPP server right fucking now, and just install ejabberd on my phone so that my buddies can communicate while the apocalypse is happening and none of the major IM services work.
termux

the real problem with android is proprietary drivers

microsoft

>What is Librem 5
puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

This. Whole metro-shit was a mistake from the beginning.

Attached: 1514069341210.png (491x491, 199K)

Pay five hundred bucks for a shiny phone
9 months later later your phone is obsolete and you should buy a new one because nokia is too jewish to update your phone

Attached: s-l640.jpg (640x561, 60K)

with android you have choice and options, if you don't like an app or it doesnt do what you want then find one that does. stop being a whiny little bitch

Just very late to the party and was originally charging royalties for something with less features than android.

The Universal Windows Platform could have been such a big deal, but by putting it on phones first people just think it’s porting phone apps to PC instead of it being the future and Win32 being legacy.

People would be far more interested in Windows Phone if there were already UWP applications on the desktop. As good as Windows 7 was, realistically they should have Windows 8.1 then instead of just perfecting Vista.