"cashierless store" is expanding to San Francisco and Chicago

Will this trend of "cashierless stores" the cause of our mass unemployment?

Attached: Cashierless Amazon Go stores coming to San Francisco and Chicago - Recode 6-14-2018 10-42-36 AM.png (1276x2073, 1.3M)

>machines that work uninterrupted 24/7 shifts without complaining or demanding any wage at all

>versus human workers that get sick, have to take care of children, have to use the bathroom, have to sleep, take vacations, have to eat and drink, have to have health insurance, have to get ~8 hours of sleep daily, etc.

I think the choice is clear.

>chicago

He tried to warn you. He tried to warn you and you didn't listen.

Attached: 1506095313148.jpg (590x366, 17K)

>cashierless stores

I recently visited a McDonalds that had one of these machines installed and I tried it out. It was a much nicer and faster experience than trying to communicate with a human who occasionally errs and gets your order wrong.

Attached: 573c6e7f91058428008c37ec-750-563.jpg (750x563, 85K)

It's hard enough checking all the beeps at the door with cashiers. I don't think this idea will work everywhere.

Continuing on this trend of anti social tech fetishism will probably exacerbate mental health issues. People are less and less capable of face to face interaction because of the hyper socialization provided by internet social media already. One by one removing these facets of daily life where humans interact with one another will only breed more issues.

This is why we need a Fascist directed market to protect culture and social norms.

fuck service wagies. literally worst kind of 'people' after rural retards

t. urban neoliberal

Alright, is it time now to seriously consider UBI?

Unemployment will have to be higher than 10 percent

>cant buy shit with cash

DROPPED

why do we need it?

Attached: 1528939621293.png (900x700, 63K)

You can. Out here in PA the chain grocery store Giant has self checkout machines that accept bills and spit out change. You can do card or cash purchases.

Weis and Karns have them as well. At least in the stores near me.

t. central pa resident

Any time was always a good time to discuss UBI, but now is a critical time. If we don't, mass automation will put nearly the entire working class out of work with no alternative source of income. Without the means to feed their families or keep a roof above their heads, the working class will increasingly become angry and desperate for a way to survive their plunge deeper into poverty, leading to mass violence on a scale which we've never seen and ultimately a societal collapse.

>cutting non-manufacturing jobs is bad
Look at OP and laugh. Everybody doing redundant work should be reeducated.

Thats just Commie LARP. The pursuit of profitability will eventually lead to a negative return on profits, and that creates a natural equilibrium in the market. If factory owners go to the Nth degree to increase profits then the total collective result will be a decrease in purchasing power of the average citizen. That would mean they have less money to spend. That would mean the companies producing products eventually have to decrease output as sales decline.

Automation isn't some society ending nightmare that armchair Communists in comfy western countries try to make it seem.
It is a sign that the economy needs direction. It isn't a sign that the economy needs massive and permanent total welfare.
Blanket welfare is inherently harmful.

>It is a sign that the economy needs direction
If society needs a radical change to respond to automation that isn't UBI what change does it need?

No one want to deal with shitty humans. That's the future.

No, some other company will pay their employees enough to make up for us cutting back on ours.

Minor laws and regulations on manufacturing aren't radical changes. We already live under a system with an absurd amount of regulatory red tape. We'd actually do quite well to deregulate and set a new baseline to limit intentionally verbose legalese and cut down the lawyer market at its manipulative exploitative knees.

We can tax certain "bots" to the point that humans remain price competitive for labor. We can ensure that seeking profit doesn't become a damaging feedback loop fairly easily. Its also true that new jobs will be created as the market landscape changes. Not all people currently in the job market will be able to change fields, but people just entering the workforce for the full time will be able to.

Large population is not valuable in itself, human population strives for equilibrium with the rest of the capitalist system in that people consume resources while offering labour to the system, if there's less demand for labour then some people will be consuming resources while offering nothing to the system, western population growth is negative partly due to this and hopefully the rest of the world will follow. Having people do mundane inefficient jobs just to employ them is a communist solution equivalent to having half the unemployed dig a ditch and the other half fill it

>englewood is ALL of chicago
>just like los angeles is ALL of california
>just like hell's kitchen is ALL of new york
>just like miami is ALL of florida

>talking with family member
>they're telling me a story about how my grandma and grandpa (both around 70) went to the Amazon store in Seattle
>they pay for everything in cash usually
>find out you can't pay with cash
>become livid
>trying to literally throw their cash at the people who work their
>they don't accept it
>they leave upset

No sorry, I'd rather speak to a cashier

> All the robots are taking the jobs
> people starve/die
> intended population control

Won't work with a non-Asian minority population close by.

>digging a ditch and filling it in
Better for society than giving them free resources.

Use the app. Skips the line if there is one.

because a workforce that's starving due to lack of work will not just sit still and die it will go out and burn your city down, so it's in your interest to provide them with a basic income so that they don't start to fuck you up

>the market will return to equilibrium and this will happen via us massively distorting the market by taxing robots until humans become viable again
okay

>than trying to communicate with a human
Autists will be the driving force behind the automation.

Why the fuck would you want to interact with a nigger or spic?

/thread

Doesn't take a very long bus ride for nogs to get around to the good part of Chicago, especially when they hear about a convenience store to shoplift from with no cashiers.

>Chicago store has updated
>Now there are no cashiers, but 2 full-time loss prevention agents

What you're missing is there's an arms race here, sure if every job is automated and nobody has any money to buy the products then the whole system will collapse, but that's only the last step. At every step prior to that one, if you don't automate jobs and your competitors do, you're going to lose. People will not say "Well we'll stop automating here otherwise society is going to collapse" because the response will be "Not in my investment you won't, leave that for the companies over there to do".

Punishing them for leeching is good but without being too much of an edgelord it'd naturally be better for unemployable people to not exist

>Manufacturing jobs
>Not redundant
Unless you are wearing an engineer hat you are redundant, Cletus.

The people working at McDonalds barely qualify as human, most don't speak English and if they do, they speak Ebonics English.

>muh worthless service industry jeeeeerbs, why won't somebody save them
Go die in a fire. Weak people will go crazy, strong people will survive and get their mental health together to have children. Only string people genes survive, everyone is happy.

>doesn't live in an area where most mcdonalds employees are white
lmaoing @ ur life

Even in Sweden we don't have this problem, here it's often cute girls.

Do any of the minorities even work?

when you demand $15 an hour...

>installing a botnet app to order food
nah

I agree with most of this but I think we need to entertain the long-term affect of this.
Soon enough, copy-cats will emerge.
Software and hardware will be developed by one company (likely NCR et al) that all does the exact same thing
Copy-cat stores will use the same software, hardware, and likely very similar product lines
Very soon, all stores will likely be the same in form and function.
Aside from obvious factors like pricing and location, what are stores going to do to bring in new customers and maintain customer loyalty?
Margins are going to get razor slim and the early adopters are going to get burnt.

I'm just asking questions, man. Just don't regulate these new stores differently than traditional ones and IDGAF.

Buss drivers, cleaners, and other such easier jobs often are immigrants. Also easier jobs in elder and health care are decently often immigrants.

not the recent wave of hundreds of thousands

Attached: swedenrefugees.jpg (1209x879, 230K)

as a customer I'd prefer not to even deal with a cashier. I will almost always use a self checkout if available unless the line is ridiculous or I have some kind of produce I know I won't be able to look up correctly.

If I could skip that step entirely, it would be great.

Here is an idea: treat the physical shopping cart the same way you do a digital shopping cart. every time you put an item in, a small screen on the cart updates with a running list of whats in the cart with the costs itemized and totaled for you in real time. cart could even weigh your goods and have a barcode scanner in the event that an industry wide change is too drastic for investors.

same reason i like to watch my wife get fucked by one

Attached: 15373734553.jpg (472x353, 45K)

The economy is always the micro and the macro. Its always in flux. People aren't just sitting around as static forces waiting for requisites to act. People plan. The market is dynamic, constantly in flux.

>I-i-i'm totally one of the strong, guys
>plz gib Gommunism fuggg xxddd

Back to cripplechan with you, Tranny.

I agree with this. That's where I draw the line. Going through the drive-thru is botnet enough.

>Cletus
I don't know where you live, but it's more like Shanikwa or Tyrone. Actual retarded people do a better job.

This is what stores are already working on.
>tablets
>wireless trx pinpads
When you are ready to check down, just flag down an employee and checkout. The employee can simultaneously check people out and also tag shopping carts with NFC or (who knows??) -- right next to stocking shelves, cleaning, or whatever. I can't wait.

Yes, I believe a simple small UBI of say $1k a month would be a step in the right direction and basicly solve homeless overnight for all but the most extreme mental illness cases.

You're not going to stop the drunks and junkies from being drunks and junkies by giving them a fucking check. Those people cannot act in good faith on their own behalf. With every spare dollar they'll buy crack, buy heroin, buy booze, etc.
Its blatantly destructive.

>We can tax certain "bots"
Who the Fuck comes up with this shit. Taxing machines is the dumbest thin I have ever heard and it is brought up so often. Tax personal income, tax corporate income, tax proffits, whatever, but taxing machines is full retard.

Watch Milton Friedmon's talks on welfare. You very well might change your mind. I'm now much more open-minded towards it.

(Also because I recently got depressed and am wondering, I didn't choose to be born so why the fuck do I have to put in so much work and effort? Just let me veg out or offer voluntary euthansia, god damn it!!!)

I can come up with one:

Well the machines will have to be recycled, so we better charge an environment or carbon tax.

Oh well they're displacing human work so that hurts the economy so we better charge the bourgeoisie for our welfare/social programs as well.

I worked as a cashier in highschool and it amazed me how slow some cashiers are. I was 2 - 3 times faster ringing up and bagging then most of my middle aged coworkers and they resented me for always being top on the monthly metrics. Frankly I don't think they try. Self checkouts are often faster than slow retards.

Taxing profits does nothing but give more money to the government. When the system is bad you don't want to keep giving it new sources of income. Tax the machinery and the employer favors more humans in their workforce. The tax on the bot serves its purpose without ever drawing an additional cent in actual collected taxes. It increases the barrier to entry for automation.

I've read most of (((Friedman))) and heard most of his talks. Hes entry level AnCap autism tier, detached from reality. I gave up being a Lolbertard a decade ago.

>I didn't choose to be born so why the fuck do I have to put in so much work and effort?

user, tell me where you live, I'll give you a complimentary ride to the closest bridge for you to jump off of.

I agree, but it would help and that 1k, combined with universal health care would mean that if you actually cared you could just move somewhere cheaper and get a part time job and live just fine. The 1k ubi could also replace most other welfare programs including food stamps, unemployment insurence, social security, and others.

Ok, but how do you measure a bot? Charge per pound? Per wheel? Per arm? Processor? Any scheme you come up would be arbitrary and artificially warp the bot market as people built around it.

Universal health care can't be a reality when we have massive immigrant populations. We can't deal with the homeless problem without building a half dozen major mental institutions in every state, because those addicts are dealing with mental illness. All those homeless vets, all those old timers on the streets, they've got major mental issues and't won't ever be able to successfully integrate into the workforce. They either die on the street, or they're institutionalized for life.

Machine that replaces a human worker. You don't need to specify anything. Intent matters far more than letter of the law in this regard. You can't skirt intent.

>Any scheme you come up would be arbitrary and artificially warp the bot market as people built around it.
That never stopped people creating stupid taxes before I'm afraid...

>Will this trend of "cashierless stores" the cause of our mass unemployment?
Immigration and borderline monopolies already contribute to this.

I think this is a great idea
>t. jamal

>Machine that replaces a human worker.
So I just need to fire the human a year before I buy the bot so it isn't replacing them? Or maby I just keep half of them on for that year to save half on the bot tax?

>blatantly try to skirt letter of the law
>when letter of the law doesn't matter
You'd be murdered for trying to exploit the people

the real secret is to start a business without the people in the first place. Elon tried this and mostly failed but his idea was sound. If he truly did manage to create a fully autonomous factory from the ground up he would never be accused of replacing anybody's job with a robot. We just need to continue to design desirable new products that humans are increasingly irrelevant in the manufacturing of.

Also the same fags who complain that their jobs are being replaced by immigrants and machines need to come to grips with the reality of the benefits that social welfare can have on them personally, not just the rest of society.

They don't try, they realized it's pointless. When you're 35, and you realize that you are *just* smart enough to work a cash register, it really takes a toll. A highschool/uni student knows that being a cashier is just going to be termporary, at most 3/4 years

I've worked in a specialty metal shop that was almost entirely automated. They had 8 fiber lasers running at max cut speed all day long. Sheets were loaded on to the bed with a vacuum crane. Finished parts and skeletons were taken off with another set of suction cups.
There was one guy who spent his entire day walking up and down just making sure the lasers were running. If one broke down he didn't fix it. All he did was mark it down and give a piece of paper to an accountant who updated their pricing and work hour spreadsheet.

Someone has to do maintenance on those machines. It will just be a better job than staying 8 hours standing on a balcony.

robotic mechanics are just around the corner. No reason they can't just extras of every machine on the production floor, have a maintnance robot handy to replace something that malfunctions, ship off the defective unit back to the factory for disassembly (i suspect recycling and disassembly are going to be human jobs for a long time) they'll be the mr handy's of unmounting and remounting robots

looks like its just four bolts and a few electrical and air lines. almost like they intended for this to happen

Attached: FANUC-ARC-Mate-100iC-10S[1].jpg (800x800, 54K)

cashierless stores will explode in states with 15$ minimum wage
you already have mostly cashierless McDonalds in the same states

I can't wait till the machines literally start treating us like the shitty organic creatures that we are.

This is just a transition step to eventually get rid of most stores in favor of delivery. The biggest problem to be solved there is theft. Once secure delivery is easier, physical stores are fucking dead unless they also serve as communal space,like cycle cafes.

I am a young buisness owner in the year 2050, starting my own buisness making something new in a way that has never been done before. I do so with only myself and one large bot the size of a house. I make $5m in the first year. How much do I have to pay and why? Bear in mind that no worker has ever made this thing so none were replaced.

Yes.

Prepare for the post-work economy now!

Back to your containment camp.

it's almost like the left didn't think this through. that's what happens when no skill workers want a living wage for doing something retarded people can do the same or better.

Wasting gorillions of manhours on keeping repetitive soul-killing dead-end jobs around is surely a worthy tradeoff for those extra 5 minutes of """"socialization"""" per individual per week.

settle down, lady.

>hurrr all work is soul killing
>no one should work a job and develop social skills
Take more HRT, you Commie NEET.

>charge the bourgeoisie
i'd rather hang them

Are they paying those machines a (((fair))) minimum wage?

>user, tell me where you live, I'll give you a complimentary ride to the closest bridge for you to jump off of.
people like you actively advocating suicide and encouraging vulnerable individuals to do it should get shot in the head

Attached: 1488263231175.gif (311x362, 1.99M)

Doesn't take a very long bus ride for nogs to get around to the good part of EVERY OTHER FUCKING PLACE I SAID either

posting idiotic gifs won't change the fact that you're an especially repulsive kind of human being

i'm not him. i thought you were being ironic in saying that people like him should be shot. i guess you're just stupid.

lol I did that. Never got my order.

Also, at regular grocery stores you can already use a scanner and bypass all that shit so Amazon's shit isn't that interesting.

LMAO just get a better job

Yeah, instead of a derping human let's use an epic oversized Android tablet with pajeet software on it to order food.

You are aware that Amazon is also offering cloud based real time facial recognition capabilities for police and their stores are literally loaded with hundreds of cameras (seems to be 20+ per aisle if you look up pictures). They'd have so many pictures of you that they could probably make a 3D model of you. You'd probably have better luck robbing a bank or a gun store.

If it's viable as an alternative to paying employees $15 an hour, then it's really only a few years out from being viable even when paying the federal minimum wage.

You mean vending machines?
Japan is covered with them and their unemployment rate is like 2% or something crazy like that. Japan makes useful jobs for people even if they don't pay well or are profitable after jobs are destroyed by automation because the Japanese care about social cohesion.

Cashierless store doesn't mean massive unemployment. It means more efficiency in society and more wealth for everyone. Worried about automation and income inequality? Buy stock in companies on the forefront of automation NOW.

Like yours?

Do you know what the Japanese don't have? It rhymes with "niggers".

Attached: BGstCo7.jpg (720x960, 104K)