Why did they stop supporting windows phones?

Why did they stop supporting windows phones?

Attached: downloadfile.jpg (474x473, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2015/11/01/microsoft-android-patent-income/
amazon.com/dp/B073PL2B36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_33cjBb8MBV8A0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No apps.

cuz no one uses them nerd lol
nerds on suicide watch

Who is "they"?

because google walled them out.
>no essential google apps -> no userbase -> no essential 3rd party support ->repeat

They were bad

It was a good OS, but the lack of apps made me buy an android phone.

Too zune-ish, the no-apps thing was the final nail in the coffin

It was a shit OS.

no android with milions of apps

Unironically more stable than even ios and far, far better than the glitchy shit android was at the time.

They had an innovative UI with potential, but by the time they came to the mobile market Apple and Google were already dominating, making it impossible for a new player to attract enough users and developers to sustain a viable ecosystem. All of which was because at the time Microsoft was run by Steve Ballmer, who is just a sales guy and only knew how to milk Windows, and was always behind the curve on tech. Not too unlike Tim Cook today, but at least Apple has the advantage of a userbase more interested in appearing trendy than truly being trendy.

Mickey$haft, of course

weak

It was shit, DEVELOPERS didn't support it, and no one bought it. It was so bad it nearly tanked Nokia.

Steve Ballmer was such a colossal fuckup. I don't think he would have ever had a job at M$ if he hadn't been friends with Bill Gates in college.

I disagree.

There was still room for a 3rd player if it offered things the competitors didn't offer.
But it just turned out as a walled off piece of shit.

People where expecting a Phone running windows, it wasn't windows so devs gave up and went android.
Without devs you have no apps.
Without apps users have nothing.
With nothing to do you have a brick.

Because Microsoft didn't feel like investing on it. They could make Windows Phone into a godlike phone OS if they wanted

In a just world, WP, BB10, WebOS would still all be valid options. Oh well.
All 3 of them had really bad management decisions.

Another big factor nobody talks about is branding
What are the first things that come to your mind when you hear Windows? slow, clunky, bloated, unsafe, unstable...
I think they could've sold at least twice as many phones if they just would've changed the name

Attached: 1527830012402.png (322x328, 113K)

Well, they didn't, got a security update just today for June's patch Tuesday, only thing that really ended was kinda app support, Microsoft showed em the door, anyone that wants to ride it to the end can. At least until Creators Update (1709)'s EOL

They need to rename their whole company.

Satya Nadella sabotaged what was looking to be a promising division. There's a bigger story here that isn't bring told and it goes back to the Steve Sinofsky vs. .NET drama with Windows 8.

No apps = no buyers = no revenue = no incentive to continue development

>C#
>directx
>meme fs
They were too late and no one wanted to develop for that piece of shit

Just imagine, BSODs and viruses on your phone lmao
Well I guess poodroids are pretty buggy, but still not that bad

nice ui and not too much resource hungry, but lol no apps. microsoft didn't promote them enough because they didn't put faith in the mobile market, one of the worst decisions in their history.

Which they have since fixed with UWP. Most services now have a Windows Phone app, more than before. Surface Phone is coming.

This but ironically

It was also much faster on lower quality Snapdragons.

The cameras beat any Android phone at the time too.

The purchase never should have went through. Ballmer was a complete fucking idiot for not only ruining nokia's downward spiral, but also taking on the negative reputation for billions.

Android is the nerd mobile OS.
Windows Phones were for regular non faggot people.
iPhone is for faggots.

They tried desperately to get apps for Windows Phone but failed, retreated.

Microsoft revamped its entire approach to app development as a result though.

They bought Xamarin, embraces open source, and are rebuilding Windows 10 core and adaptive shell to run across all devices.

If you look now there are more Windows phone apps in the Microsoft Store than ever, they also run on Xbox, HoloLens, and many on ARM.

Losing the mobile game was a wake up call for Microsoft and they are prime to return.

you delusional faggot there are still zero essential apps on windows phone

No Google Maps. That's the only reason they failed. Literally everything else is replaceable.

>implying Lumia Maps and Lumia Drive isn't ten times better then Google Maps
Idiot

Because they already make plenty of money off Android.
forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2015/11/01/microsoft-android-patent-income/

Shafting users twice. Whoops you better buy a new phone to get updates(WM6->WP8->WP8)

They combined the Windows 10 guys with the remainder of the Windows Phone employees to work on porting Windows 10 to ARM.

Attached: 1524253889539.jpg (720x922, 84K)

>Android phone manufacturers do this every year
>uhhhhhhhhh I gEt NeW hardware aRe u RtrDeD???
>Apple does it every product release
>So what I'm dropping $2k on a phone every 3 years? ARE YOU POOR???
>Microsoft is pushing out OS updates for 4 year old devices
>I'M BEING SHAFTED!!!!!
State of Jow Forums

iPhone minus apps or support

I still use windows-phone 8.1 until now, it is my primary phone.

are you moron? go fuck yourself and kill yourself. even on Pwn2Own windows-phone still virgin, no-one can exploit windows-phone until now.

Because we can't have nice things.

They tried to copy the two major players in the market instead of carving off their own niche. Windows phone should have been targeted at enterprise clients as the replacement for Blackberries. Enterprises are already using MS Offlice, Exchange, Windows. This would have been the next step.

Because it's fucking windows on a phone
I literally can't think of a shittier idea

>They tried to copy the two major players in the market instead of carving off their own niche. Windows phone should have been targeted at enterprise clients as the replacement for Blackberries. Enterprises are already using MS Offlice, Exchange, Windows. This would have been the next step.

blame fucking balmer
His BS pretty much led microshit to get in Nutella who now has to make the company focus on azure and shit just to remain competitive

These phones fucking suck.
Internet Explorer that jumps around URLs like an autistic kid at a playground.
No file browser.
Can't rename files.
Shitty voice send/receive quality.
A digital camera comparable to the Gameboy Camera or Eye Toy.
No apps.

Into the bin.

Attached: C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_1411775917836.jpg (352x480, 39K)

Can't tell if trolling or just pure retarded help me out bros

Actually use a windows phone first, then try making a statement again.

I think we know. Not like Android and ios are much better

... Most apps are just reskinned web pages as is

The marktshare of phones that aren't ios or android is literally 0.0%. That's why. No one buys these shitphones.

What's a Windows phone?

>doesn't remember the great windows phone shill wave on Jow Forums

Man all of india was posting here

Attached: serveimage (1).jpg (530x378, 42K)

>Windows phone should have been targeted at enterprise clients
Holy motherfucking shit this this this, they could've dominated if there were features like;
>Image phones the same way as a PC
>Always on VPN
>GPO support

Every phone out there is treated as if they were a personal device, all I want is a standard issue model with standard software loadout and security policy with minimal fucking around that can be handed out to employees.

because they're fucking garbage and everyone knows they're a joke

Attached: 1360738306780.jpg (413x395, 35K)

The people supporting windows phones

>no file browser
Wrong
>can't rename files
Wrong

Source: Have a Lumia 640

I stopped using my wp when the GPS stopped working. They eventually patched it but Firefox with ad block, webm in browser, steam chat with hyperlink and proper mms support keeps me with Android

They're all part of the OS. The only third party apps I use are the newspaper and the train timetable.

Here maps is goat.

Universal apps Desktops-Mobile was a great idea, but bad implement: Mobile Office was too weak for edit any document, sharing data is impossible outside of W10

>ignoring azure
ok, your opinion is discarded

than*

I broke my 640 and bought an android phone lately. I feel terrible and I'm considering getting one of those high ends WP for a discounted price, like a 950 or so.

I don't like how 950 looks, that rear camera is really ugly. 930 is cute and specs are kinda the same

Alcatel IDOL 4S 6071W - 64GB- Gold (T-Mobile) 4G LTE Windows 10 Smartphone (Certified Refurbished) amazon.com/dp/B073PL2B36/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_33cjBb8MBV8A0

>be early adopter of WP7
>really like it
>WP8 preview comes out, awesome additions, lots of bug fixes, new features
>MS: "lol sorry, you need a new phone for WP8 even though we said we'd support you"
>buy new phone with WP8

>be early adopter of WP8
>really like it
>WP10 preview comes out, awesome additions, lots of bug fixes, new features
>MS: "lol sorry, you need a new phone for WP10 even though we said we'd support you"
>buy new phone with WP10

>be early adopter of WP10
>really like it
>Microsoft completely kills support for my phone and won't fix any of the bugs

I guess I'll just buy an iPhone. How's the SE? I kinda want a smaller phone again.

Because not even tech illiterates want Windows on their phones after experiencing it with their computers. The idea of being in an accident and not being able to call help because your phone bluescreens is not tempting. People don't love Windows, they tolerate it because it's all they know. This wasn't the case on mobile phones, there were other systems first.

Also it didn't have multitasking, like, at all. I heard that when someone left for a bicycle trip for a week and started Sports Tracker app to record it, it went back to "start recording now" or whatever when they opened the app again later. Nothing was recorded because the app wasn't kept on top the whole time. The same app of course worked fine on Android. I'm also a bit bitter because Meego was killed for this crap which I knew right from the start that it wouldn't have any chance of succeeding.

Off topic a bit. But where is the smartphone general atm?

I used a Windows 8 tablet once and it was literally the worst experience with a mobile device I ever had. Windows on any kind of mobile device is horrible.

RIP user, my 640 is still going strong except for the camera. I'm here for you

Yikes, someone has never even used Windows mobile, even in its earlier iterations.

this, otherwide I'd still use a WP

cos it failed in the market
where they have to compete, they can't compete

Poo CEO don't like hardware and Windows Phone

>had lumia phone I forget the model but it was a small but a right kind of small phone with 8gb of memory and had a white cover
>it ran super smooth with no lag
>text messenger was good
>keyboard was good
>best battery life that I experienced
>the only problem was that there weren’t so many apps/ support for major things like WhatsApp (which was important for me at the time)

I then ran the 8.1 beta and basically bricked my phone and went back to android for the app support.

chad ultra epic win

Well I used Lumia 1520 simultaneously with nexus 4. There was not a single thing Lumia was better in. Absolutely everything I wanted to do, Lumia failed me at. Not to mention nexus was way faster. I literally was into messages app already while Lumia still was playing its stupid animation of pulling tiles. Lumia was very slow, and I don't understand people talking it was good. I used to own it on flagship device. It was back when wp 8.1 was the thing, and fanboys were literally threatening you with death while you said anything about windows phone.

It had problems with everything. Even browsing the internet was not possible because some webpages loaded wrong, some didn't at all, and it didn't support the forms, you couldn't login anywhere because clicking the text field didnt bring up the keyboard. It was crashing very often. They say android crashes, but what was going on the windows phone is far worse than what I ever experienced on android. Frequent device resets were required. I wanted to wait for Windows 10 mobile, but it just was not for my nerves.

People say it had all the apps you need, and in fact yes it had the apps, but they were bugged and like 20 versions behind android/iOS. Even Facebook messenger wasn't working properly. Every time someone messaged you, you had to reopen "him", because it didn't refresh the messages window. So when you were talking, and you got new message, you had to go back to friends list, and reopen the person that messaged you. There was no voice calls too. You couldn't send a video either. That's just an example, but rounds up how all the apps were.

Yes it was smooth, but its smoothness was just covering how slow it was.

It was slow, had no apps (don't you dare saying otherwise), and had (still has) the funniest fanboys any system ever had.

Because niggers went "OMGWTFBBQ M$ BOTNET" and ironically bought Androids.