/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: just like in /sqt/ spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1529013932635.jpg (599x769, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
without-you.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_you
rationalwiki.org/wiki/Not_an_argument
upstart.ubuntu.com/getting-started.html
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/27289/how-can-i-run-a-cron-command-with-existing-environmental-variables
gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html
gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html)
copyright.gov/comp3/chap300/ch300-copyrightable-authorship.pdf),
stallman.org/rss/rss.xml
gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#for_window
i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#_moving_containers
i3wm.org/docs/layout-saving.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

how will this sad meme end?
I use win7 and Im completely free to do whatever the fuck I want to.

t. mentally healthy individual with friends and a gf

neckbears get laid u bunch of LOSERS

Is there an easy way to configure the position of each gnome extension or application that is displayed on the top panel?

bogpill me on systemd

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

What are the alternatives?

Attached: 1472091921127.jpg (640x640, 100K)

without-you.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_you

rationalwiki.org/wiki/Not_an_argument

Shepherd, OpenRC, runit

upstart, sysvinit plus above

stop

Attached: trumpb8.jpg (600x600, 27K)

I imagine that's something I couldn't just install via command line and would have to build something from scratch?

Attached: league_of_legends__iconic_lip_bite_tho_by_purblindcosplay-d7mhkvp.jpg (730x1095, 124K)

I don't know desu I just select upstart at installation time and it magically configures
Guide upstart.ubuntu.com/getting-started.html

Yes. Systemd is a dependency of many programs.

I use ubuntu and Im completely free to do whatever the fuck I want to.

t. mentally healthy individual with friends and a gf

How long does it take for new versions to hit debian sid repos?

I use TempleOS and Im completely free to do whatever the Lord wants me to.

t. mentally unstable individual with friends and a gf

Got rtorrent running on a Pi but want to save stuff to an external USB, however I don't have read/write permissions.

What do?

Your gf Dianna sucks big nigger cock

I have this command with a glob / brace expression:
ls /var/log/nginx/access.log{,.1,.[234].gz}

which works fine if I just run it in a shell, it lists access.log and the archived ones up to access.log.4.gz, etc.

However, when I try to use the same line in a shell script (.sh) or cronjob it fails with an error:

ls: cannot access '/var/log/nginx/access.log{,.1,.[234].gz}': No such file or directory

How do I use this in a script or cronjob?

iirc {...,...} is a bashism so you have to run the script with bash not sh

turns out i was wong why don't you jsut post the script?

Mount the external drive rw?

don't quote it

I have mounted the USB.
Wonder if rtorrent's permissions are to blame here though.

How can I change a program's permissions so it can access certain folders, internal or external?

Easiest way:
1. add a line for the drive to fstab. in the options add "noauto,rw,user"
2. mount the drive as the NORMAL USER you run rtorrent as

noauto ensures the system won't mount it automatically
rw ensures the rw rights
user ensures unprivileged users can mount it. If such user mounts it, they get rw rights on the drive

Why should I consider an alternative shell to bash? Which ones should I?

the script is just #!/bin/sh and the one line I posted

your tip with bash helped though, replacing #!/bin/sh with #!/bin/bash seemed to do the trick

#!/bin/bash
ls /var/log/nginx/access.log{,.1,.[234].gz}

crontab seems to have an option to change particular jobs to bash, or I can call the bash binary from a cronjob or whatever

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/27289/how-can-i-run-a-cron-command-with-existing-environmental-variables -- different issue but has some solutions

it's not quoted

Yet I forget: only if your USB drive has a microbenis filesystem. If it has a Linux FS you can get around with symlinks, changing permissions and creating a dedicated directory for torrents owned by the user you run rtorrent as.

vfat :/

Attached: 1527887619463.gif (429x592, 2.8M)

sudo pacman -S xf86-video-amdgpu-git xf86-video-ati-git
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: xf86-video-amdgpu-git and xorg-server are in conflict. Remove xorg-server? [y/N]

literally what the fuck

Read the aur page for the amdpgu,check the dependencies

Is it acceptable to ask a question about GNU GPL here, or should I take it to the stupid questions thread?

I've got an small acer aspire one from 2012ish it's running linux mint xfce at the moment without any problems but i would like totry a new distro.
Would opensuse be feasible? OR would it go pretty slow?

Arch

Ask

>using a distro that limits your freedom to keep xorg installed

gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

Ive been using Linux for a few weeks now and I just realized that something was missing. Im running Ubuntu on a Dell laptop and I need to find a way to do the Linux equivalent of right-clicking. Mostly to save images.

it's conflicting because xorg drivers only work with the xorg version it was built against you brainlet, you should use debian instead if a simple upgrade conflict like this confuses you, debian never updates their packages

Nice memes.

I believe trained neural network models are not GNU GPL compatible, but I would like to hear other people's thoughts.

To be GNU GPL compatible, a work must by copyrightable. (gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html)

According to the United States Copyright Office (copyright.gov/comp3/chap300/ch300-copyrightable-authorship.pdf), copyrightable works must be created by a human being. "Works produced by a machine or mere mechanical process that operates randomly or automatically without any creative input or intervention from a human author" can't be copyrighted.

Is there creative input or intervention by a human when creating a neural network? I don't think so. Building a neural network involves data collection, data cleaning, writing the code, hyperparameter tuning, etc. There can be creativity during these steps. For example, the training code itself can by copyrighted since code is treated as a literary work. However, all a human does is set up the machine to automatically generate the neural network model. The human has no impact on the final result while training is occurring. Because is no human creativity involved, neural networks are not copyrightable and not GNU GPL compatible.

The best piece of evidence against copyrightable neural network models is a search through the US Copyright Office's public catalog of copyrights. If neural network models were copyrightable, then someone would have copyrighted one. But the listed results are research papers, books, and images about neural networks. No neural network models in sight.

Why does this matter to me? Because I am thinking about making a mobile application built on another GNU GPL V3 licensed project. I want to incorporate a neural network model I trained myself in the application. If neural network models are not GNU GPL compatible, can I make the code GNU GPL V3 and the neural network model a different license?

So right click?

I do, but it does the same thing as left click.

Wait nvm, it fixed itself.

nvm, its broken again

WTF am I reading

Try a different mouse.

Is it wrong that I admire Richard Stallman far more than I ever admired Jesus?

I mean he is saint ignucius after all.

Yes, dude is an arrogant ass prick. Genius, but arrogant.

Its working rarely, using the touchpad and would rather fix it without just up and buying a mouse.

is there anything named touchpad/synaptics/libinput in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/? if so post what's inside

It feels like my HDD is active all the damn time, just puttering away doing I don't know what. I'm worried it's gonna click and doot itself to early grave, how can I make it chill tf out? I've enabled write caching, set noatime in fstab, and it doesn't support the 'acoustics' option thing with hdparm, beyond that I'm illiterate on the matter.

iotop

It's mostly kworker and jdb2... Google hasn't been much help.

jbd2*

>To be GNU GPL compatible, a work must by copyrightable.
Why do you think that?

post the output
$ mount

1/2
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=738304,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
/dev/sda4 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,data=ordered)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nodev,relatime,size=595712k,mode=755)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
selinuxfs on /sys/fs/selinux type selinuxfs (rw,relatime)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
efivarfs on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars type efivarfs (ro,relatime)
cgroup_root on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=10240k,mode=755)
openrc on /sys/fs/cgroup/openrc type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,release_agent=/lib64/rc/sh/cgroup-release-agent.sh,name=openrc)
none on /sys/fs/cgroup/unified type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate)
cpuset on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cpu on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu)
cpuacct on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuacct)
blkio on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
memory on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
devices on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
freezer on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
net_cls on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)

2/2
perf_event on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
none on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,relatime,mode=700,uid=1000)

try closing your programs (file manager etc.) if that doesn't help try stopping non-essential daemons, if your disk spins down after a daemon is stopped then at least you know who's the culprit

Jesus did the job for life, rms does the job for the digital life.

Attached: 1528011544488.jpg (655x480, 36K)

>From the man mke2fs page and this link it appears that the defaults for formatting an ext4 filesystem are very lazy and leave a lot of the writing work to be finished after the drive is mounted for the first time, and every subsequent time until the work is finished. Most annoyingly, it will very slowly write to the drive every few seconds until it's done.
Just found this on askubuntu, my current installation is only like a week or so old, is this maybe what's happening?

Don't underestimate RMS. It's much more than just digital. I follow his RSS stallman.org/rss/rss.xml and damn, I don't know how this guy can suck in this huge loads of reality ugliness without going full depression.

Does anyone have the "it's gnu/linux" version of op pic?

So I've been thinking about the idea of maybe getting into Linux sysadmin at some point. Before I go on the quest for certifications, are there any distros I should specifically become familiar with? I was thinking openSUSE, Fedora, and/or CentOS.

Whats the most minimal shell, that still has default functionality like tab complete?

Sup faggots. Some years ago I made a shitty rocket script and posted it here. I deleted it b/c I'm stupid. If anyone has saved it (I guess not), please post. That rocket made sounds using aplay or sox - I really can't remember how I did it, but I must!

Attached: 1475631351275.gif (1011x507, 45K)

boys, pls

i asked this last thread too..

Why would you even use gnome, dude?

bash

im noob and use ubuntu 18.04

you're at the wrong way
follow your heart

Install something better, gnome is a tablet DE

ok. Im using zsh at the moment, but i figured i wanted to switch to something more minimal. Is bash the best option?

make allyesconfig

Minimal isn't always the best, especially when you use the shell a lot. However, dash is pretty minima, but tbqh it.s only fun for non-interactive stuff. Bash is somewhat the center; convenience but lightweight when run as sh (or manually in POSIX mode).

ok, noted. thanks for the advice. I think i will switch to bash
just been jumping on the minimalism trend with st and vim and stuff, so was wondering if i could do the same with my shell

If you want to go this way, have a look into dash, classic Korn shell and mksh.

But really, the last thing you want to strip down some KB is your shell. If you like zsh, just stick to it. Strip bytes somewhere else.

0/10 doesn't go back down and explode into a nuclear fireball

the tab completion is getting a little annoying on zsh, if there was an option to use vim keys to choose tab completion options on zsh, it would be perfect, but alas.
Ill check those shells out, but dash doesnt have tab complete, does it? I thought sh was just a symlink to dash or something?? idk, i think i heard that somewhere.

Thanks for your advice dude, appreciate it.

Correct, but it depends on your distro. On Debian based systems sh is usually linked to dash, on Arch its linked to POSIX mode bash.

oh ok, that makes sense. You seem like you know a fuck tonne about linux, best resources to learn more advanced stuff about linux? Other than installing gentoo, because that seems like such of a time sink.

Is xorg supposed to rape your cpu when you move a window around with a video being rendered in the background? If it's a game or something the problem get worse and the entire interface start lagging.

Does /fglt/ have a GNU/IRC?
I need same interest buddies.

Attached: 1524408290942.png (633x758, 28K)

We had one once, but nobody joined, then /sqt/ redirected it to #sqt, then it died. Since then, nobody dared to create a channel.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

There is a Jow Forums Matrix channel with 24 ppl in it, but nobody ever talks.

>24 mining bots

“The Program” refers to any copyrightable work licensed under this License. Each licensee is addressed as “you”. “Licensees” and “recipients” may be individuals or organizations.

"All rights granted under this License are granted for the term of copyright on the Program, and are irrevocable provided the stated conditions are met."

Straight from gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

That doesn't imply that GPL code can't be bundled with non-copyrightable works, it means that the GPL only covers the copyrightable portion.

So in i3, is there a way to always start a specific window class either under another window or in a specific corner?
Basically I'm running a playlist in mpsyt (a youtube client that launches videos in a separate mplayer window) and every time a new video starts, the mplayer window appears under or next to the currently focused window instead of by the mpsyt window where I want it.

So I want to put a different distro on my T450s. What's an interesting OS that isn't Arch, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Puppy, Fedora, CentOS, RHEL, Tails, or Kahli?

Attached: red_panda_3_by_lonewolf_eyesd33t4tv.png (900x524, 836K)

Can I use vnc to remote desktop control my mum's laptop over the internet?

No.

i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#for_window
i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#_moving_containers
for_window [class="n"] move position x y

So TeamViewer for "just werks" or set up my mum's router and port forward?

Fuck I should have specified that I want to do this with a tiled window. Unless I'm missing something, that line only works for floating windows. Thanks though

Using wireless headphones with gnome, the volume adjusting keys can't actually change the volume in increments but only seem to toggle between current level and mute (mute key itself works normally), any ideas?

How do I get a gf at uni?
pls

Read this, it's a better and easier way of doing what the other user was telling you to do.
i3wm.org/docs/layout-saving.html

Check out NixOS and GuixSD if you want to jump into the deep end.

What platforms were your headphones marketed for (Mac, Windows, Android, iOS, etc), what bluetooth version, and what distro are you running? For a start it sounds like a problem with ALSA/Pulseaudio, or your OS isn't properly recognizing the buttons as xf86 VolUp and VolDown commands.

Wait mb to the first user, I misunderstood the problem. You might be able to name your mplayer instances with some sort of class name, and for loop every instance of it to make it always launch on the monitor that you want. If you want to control whether it launches horizontally or vertically, there's an i3 command that can do that.

I'm using GNU Stow, and backing up my dotfiles to a BitBucket private repo.

Anyone want to try to convince me not to throw my .ssh folder (or any other credentials) in there?