If you could build a motherboard with whatever you want, what would it have?

If you could build a motherboard with whatever you want, what would it have?

I'd build something like this with a big ass VRM, but with lots of io on the back, not this Z77 bullshit.

Attached: GB Z77X-UP7 Power Delivery_678x452.jpg (678x452, 86K)

I would basically build the Crosshair VII with three USB 2 headers. It only has one which annoys a lot.

Otherwise the board is perfect, also a good design, not as "gamer" as regular ROG products, all black and not too much RGB. The IO shield is nice, lots of ports and also connectivity on the board itself. You get THREE fan headers for just the CPU.

mATX board that replaces the second PCI-E slot more SATA III ports cause I want storage, not putting two cards in my cube and creating a furnace

I'm looking at that board right now, thing is basically my UD3 board without the covers, definitely would build a ryzen rig with that because the VRMs on cheaper X470 boards are a joke.

Attached: AB50837_1.jpg (858x1000, 907K)

asus already made a perfect motherboard for x99.

Attached: thcl800-0-motherboards-asus-x99-e-ws-2011-3-intel-x99-extended-atx-ddr4-1511111090.jpg (800x800, 166K)

The VRMs on the Crosshair are a dream. They run at 50° even at 1.4V+. I guess they could run a 12 core Ryzen without any problems. It also has these new safe slots, they are very helpful if you own 1.5 KG GPU.

That's really good, many people on Jow Forums seem to think the motherboards VRM doesn't matter and wonder why the chip clocks terribly per vcore on their 4 phase X370 board.

Just looking at that motherboard gets me stiff

Attached: 1517970949338.jpg (500x375, 70K)

>MUH DICK
fuck look at all those vrms

The basic VRMs are good enough, but not for OC. My Prime B350M runs very well to, because I undervolted it. But if you read the tests you will know the good high-phase count boards need up to 40 mV less for the same clock. 50° under load is a dream temperature for a VRM, we talk about full load, my system runs at 30-40° average.

While I'd like to see the "Gene" mATX theme return with the Asus Rampage boards, Skylake-X sucks ass. So gimme a Zenith Gene with full scale VRM for dat smaller form Threadripper action.
Fucking beautiful. If I was to ever make the jump from X79 to X99, this would be on my short-list along with a 10th anniversary Rampage.

Quad MAXBUSes running at 200MHz for up to 8 ppc74xx cores without bottlenecking.
DDR4 ECC memory controller, with support for interleaving or quad channel.
Sata III controller
32 PCIe 3.0 lanes distributed as x16 x8 x4 x4
m.2, NVMe support
Micro ATX form factor, fed off a single 12V rail for the board and another one for the CPU modules. Rest of the voltage regulation is done onboard.
USB type C ports, supporting 3.1 gen 2 speeds, and displayport alternate mode via a displayport passthrough from the graphics card.
OpenFirmware

>a big ass VRM, but with lots of io on the back
Same for me. A ton of USB 3.0/3.1 ports would be great, plus multiple HDMI ports. Remove LEDs.

You. I like your taste.

I'm all about that rendering while overclocked life, so big VRM helps.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that revision of the 990FXA-UD3 is the sexiest thing.

Attached: IMG_0248.jpg (4032x3024, 2.19M)

FUCKING ASUS WS BOARDS FOR THREADRIPPER WHEN?

Seriously this is some bullshit. Does Intel have Asus by the balls or something? Why the fuck isn't there a WS tier motherboard for Threadripper? I would pay $600 EASY for a WS class Asus motherboard to pair with the upcoming 32c64t TR2 chip. Just give me
>Solid as fuck VRM/phases
>4x pcie 16x slots
>2 pcie 1x slots
>12+ SATA 3 ports
>2 USB 3.0/3.1 headers, 2 USB 2.0 headers
>No RGB
>ECC capability
Intermingle the m.2-Dimm tech they have on their ROG X399 board and call it a day.

Attached: Dimm-2.jpg (1920x1280, 1.54M)

They don't do it because it's not gaymen RGB and it wouldn't sell, guys who want matte black boards that are high end are not being marketed to anymore.

I got the TUF B350M, and people on over lockers forum are saying that 1700Xs are able to attain stable overclocks on it with a 4+2VRM
Honestly what matters most is whether the VRMs are good and if they have good cooling
I've only got an2400G, but I haven't gotten my hands dirty with Ryzen Master yet because last time I changed my RAM frequency I couldn't open Claymore's Miner

Whoops, meant to link

Yes and I run the B350M-A. They say its shitty, but I got my two H60 fans directly over it. Cooling also helps, but more VRMs=less load per phase=less heat.

A 2400G produces almost no heat.

10 USB 3.1 ports
4 10GbE ports
10 SATA 6Gbps ports
And a bunch of PCI-e x16 slots, or alternatively two or three x16 slots with the smaller x1 or x4 slots being open at the rear end to accommodate larger cards regardless.

TL;DR: This with more LAN ports:

That's cool, at least I'm not the only one to appreciate a straight up black motherboard.

Attached: vwmpn.png (412x351, 114K)

>ram can be pulled without first pulling gpu and hsf
>gpu can be released without a chopstick to find the tiny lever
>silkscreened text has only vital information, not advertisements
>com port
>another com port but it's TTL

WS boards are now called SAGE boards. Not kidding.

Bro, all I have working currently, because ASUS cheaped the fuck out on chassis fan hook ups, is two Zalman 120s in exhaust on the top of my case and the H80i gen 1 that cools the CPU
The hottest my VRMs have ever gotten according to HWMonitor is 42°C under load

STX-sized mobo with an AM4 socket, stepped SO-DIMM slots parallel to the PCB, and VRMs/FETs on one side, and an MXM slot with two dual-layered M.2 slots (80/110mm M key on top, 42/60mm B key below; 80/110mm B key on top, 42mm E key below) on the other side. Headers/pins are on the CPU side of the board, and the I/O ports on the MXM side.

Attached: gigabyte_x99_gaming_5p_review_004.jpg (3086x2315, 3.93M)

You don't like the Prime X399? Seems pretty decent without all the RGB gamer shit

Sorry bro, your 990FX board is a pleasure to look at anyway.

Fuck, I wish Gigabyte would do shit like this again. Their new boards are utter shit.

It's really a shame to see Ultra Durable being phased out on the high end, there aren't even any Ultra durable X470 boards because X370 was hampered by being low end mATX trash anyway.

Attached: muh RGB.png (1920x1200, 858K)

Yes, I don't know why they did that. In my case it doesn't matter since my case only has one fan, but for most medium sized builds it will be shit. I bought the B350 because it seemed the perfect board in terms of size (mATX) and connectivity. I knew I'm not going to archieve extreme overclocks.

The CPU runs undervolted now, went from 95 to 65° with increase to 3.75 GHz allcore (stock to Corsair H60). The GPU still runs hot, but 80° is OK and I undervolt it even further.

Attached: Al'Kesh (07.06.2018).jpg (2160x3840, 3.26M)

Is that a 580 Nitro+ I see? Got the same card, how the hell are you getting to 80° tho? I set my fans to 65% for under load and it rarely has gone over 65°

Explain this ROG DIMM thing to me, Is there any benefits over PCI Express or is it just a gimick?

8 pci-e 16 slots, single spacing if you want 8 single slot gpus for some reason
8 pci-e 4 slots, on opposite end of 16 slots for more shit and no covering ports
16 sata ports
8 ram slots, variants for whatever ddr type you feel
Option for dualsocket CPUs if it floats your boat, single is fine, doesn't need to be a dual CPU either, could just throw 2 ryzen chips in there for all I care
12 fan headers

And a small laser pointer with rbg light beam as a freebee since nobody uses those promotional codes they sometimes give you

>sage
kek

This with ide and floppy connectors.

Attached: rampageiiiflat.jpg (1680x1315, 1.08M)

Isn't the Asrock board superior to that one?

matx ryzen mobo with literally anything better than a puny 4 phase design that uses $0.05 components
not exactly asking for the moon, is it?

You take your hideous ide and floppy connectors and go desecrate another motherboard

>miniITX
>Threadripper
having a stupidly big processor on a stupidly tiny motherboard is all i want

Slower than regular RAM but 500GB of it.
Some programs simply don't use the storage space for some tasks and when the RAM is filled it simply stops/crash/farts whatever it decides to do when it can't do what it wants with the limited RAM.
Happened to me when I had to edit some 19200x10800 images.
Photoshop simply said it couldn't even open it.
Though Slapped in another 16GB RAM in it to solve that one.

I would build an ASUS Zenith Extreme that had dual Epyc sockets. A GOAT workstation board.

>mfw 128 cores

Attached: jezza laughing.png (624x352, 210K)

This.
And optical audio.

Probably an A320M board with CPU less bios updating, DVI, HDMI and VGA, built in Wifi, 4 ram slots, M.2 slot, 4 SATA ports, front USB 3 and 3.1, PS2 keyboard and mouse jacks, 6 USB ports, com and parallel headers, windows 7 drivers... Hmm yeah that will do.

I want an ITX B450 with 4 dim slots, wifi/BT, 2x Gigabit ethernet and a DVI-I/VGA output for CRTs. I just want to build the ultimate retro/LAN box

Id make a not insane ASRock board that just works and is better than assus in every way

also fuck gigabyte and MSI

asrock ftw.

The Antec LAN Boy would look decidedly bare with a board like that...

Onboard video.
Only USB-C.

Other than that, a regular green Mobo.

Asrock is an Asus company...

no it aint fuck assus
Pegatron owns both

Implying pegatron isn't a company owned by Asus.

Why the Zenith over Gigabyte's board?

Attached: X399.jpg (3502x1062, 1.36M)

Basically a thread ripper board geared towards gaming but with muted styling less workhorse focused
Waiting for ddr5 shit now ddr4 is a rrip off and dead by 2020

it would be absolutely ultra slim, CPU off to one side. Only headers for IO ports. Modern stuff including TB3.

Basically something for hobbyists to start creating higher-end feeling devices.

Are CPU socket backplate coolers a thing yet? If not why not? Derbaurer makes them I think

They're not a thing, but they will be if Intel keeps cranking up the TDP.

>chipset/socket for epyc
>mini-itx with 4 ram slots (ecc)
>s/pdif
>dual nic (separate groups preferred)
>bios reset button (not a jumper)
I just want a cute server

Shame that VRM is wasted on FX, looks beefy.

implying youre not a retard

You'd be limited to SO-DIMMs due to the enormous size of the socket, and 4 DIMMs would either be 4 single channel slots or 2x dual channel with the other two dies running without memory pools.

IPMI that can be re-flashed with a generic lunix kernel and be able to run any arbitrary distro.
Dual NICs with firmware-level teaming support.
Basically I want a server board with audio outputs.

Attached: DfqICFGW4AEnsHm.jpg (597x720, 60K)

Is there a more based motherboard manufacturer than ASrock?

Attached: ASRock X99EITX - Top.jpg (1000x1024, 494K)

>IDE and floppy
Fuck you. That shit was obsolete over a decade ago, there is absolutely no reason to continue using it. Modern storage technologies are miles better in every conceivable way.

This, I used to be big on having ODDs in my rig for installing OSes and storing programs, but flash drives are so cheap for storage, and you can get big ass hard drifes for nothing to the point where a board laden with USB boards is what you're gonna want.

Attached: GA-990FXA-UD3 Ports.jpg (1000x600, 163K)

>drifes
drives*

Pretty much the same as you. I'd want a super beefy VRM, possibly with active cooling (like the EVGA Dark board).

Nope. Asrock is a great board maker. Their Taichi boards are stellar for the price (at least on AMD's side).

Kek
Don't know what you're talking about, unless you're confused with Der8auer's direct die cooling solution.
>youre

I'd just change the topology of the board

amber PCB for maximum aesthetics

Attached: 1509909778676.jpg (960x720, 61K)

I miss old Asus amber pcb 775 boards.

bump

Attached: 1514777996658.png (1389x500, 2.55M)

Anyone use that board? Given the shorter traces, it should have easier time overclocking the ram, right?

Preach! Hopefully Asus comes to their senses when TR2 comes out, X399 is a much better workstation platform than X299.

Also they should really make a dual-socket EPYC version of the C621 SAGE board. That would be a great platform for anyone who needs more than 128GB RAM while also being able to stick four dual-slot GPUs in there, without getting ripped off by intel for shitty overpriced XEONs. I don't believe there are any EPYC EATX motherboards that support four dual-slot GPUs.

Attached: WS-C621E-SAGE-3D.jpg (1500x1050, 368K)

Id put as many ram slots on the back of a mobo as i can, and make it so main storage and ram is one and the same. Small battery when you needto unplug power and ssd for backup

t.

Attached: the-homer-inline4.jpg (660x330, 35K)

Cram everything next to the cpu socket ( move the vrms to the back? )

didn't someone make 'daily dose' coloured PCBs back in the LGA775 era? I want a new one

You're an ignorant fool. Try researching shit next next time.
It's just PCI-e, ASUS didn't have enough room on the board to place m.2 slots, so they made a unique solution that ha the m.2 slot on a carrier PCB which plugs into a special slot (which happens to just use a commodity DIMM slot) on the motherboard.

Vagina

>usb 2 port for mouse, controller in the CPU
>usb3 ports, controller in the CPU
>intel nic on its own PCI lane
>one pcie 3 lane
>two RAM slots
>no onboard audio
>no usb c
>EVERY POSSIBLE BIOS OPTION
>overclocking
>100 us timer

Never used it, but two ram slot boards with the slots close as fuck to the cpu are generally better for OCing.

Mini ITX with a good VRM is master race for OC.

bump

>Dual 8 pin
Wouldn't the CPU just die before vcore became an issue? that's just e-peen at that point.

us timer
>not 100 µs timer

Attached: saiyan kek.gif (200x200, 594K)

It's a shame Asus don't really make any full fledged ROG boards in the smaller form factors these days. Although I've heard the VRM on the current ITX Strix boards is pretty good compared to others, although it's hard getting VRM info from the manufacturers apart from Asrock.

A crosshair vii hero for the vrm layout but
12x usb 3.2 type a
12x thunderbolt 3 ports
3x 10gbit lan ports
Pretty much it. That would do me for now

Because it's gigabyte

How can you hate gigabyte pham?

It would be fully covered in LEDs and all the heat sinks would be randomly shaped plastic.

ryzen sized epyc when?
I don't need 128 threads
just give me an amd cpu with 12-16 threads, ecc, and avx-512 support

That seems to be the best VRMs on a B350M so good choice, while Ryzen Master is decent I'd do it from the UEFI

Because of their "Ultra Gaming" 1.0 board. Complete trash. They made it much better in the 2.0 version, but the brand is almost irredeemable now

no, its socket heaters that are a thing

there are epycs with many different core counts, none of them have memex512 though

>1488
nice

Attached: 365.png (800x585, 184K)

>tell compiler to use simd
>no need to use threads
>no need for different syntax
>reduces 30 instructions to 3
nice meme indeed

Shame on those board manufacturers for eliminating built-in USB 2.0 ports. I just want legacy USB support.