Chromebook anyone?

I have owned a couple of thinkpads lately: x61 and x201.
I have a desktop that use for gaming but for work and surfing I use pic related!
Why not join the chromebook masterrace?

Attached: acer_chromebook_r11.jpg (680x383, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/k29JG5nOaps?t=712
m.ebay.com.au/itm/Dell-Inspiron-11-3000-AMD-7th-GEN-A9-9420e-Laptop-4GB-RAM-128GB-eMMC-Storage-/392016631792
m.ebay.com.au/itm/Acer-C731E-Premium-Education-Chromebook-11-6-Intel-Celeron-N3160-Quad-Core-4GB-/282943420638
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

For me, its the lenovo 500e

>has 3 perfectly good computers
>dude buy a chromebook lmao
Jow Forums - Consumerism

I wanted something to use as a media device. I have a gaming desktop too but I want to have a laptop to watch youtube/netflix. Whats even more important is the battery life. Any recommendations (that isn't expensive)?

It can't even hold Windows. Are you going to install linux in it?

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-06-15 12-13-28.png (558x129, 4K)

Nah I just need something cheap and rugged I can throw in my bag and use on the go. nothing special needed. chrome os is fine for that.

pros
>3:2 ratio hdpi screen
>fanless, super quiet and cool
>slick interface
>secure
cons
>can't do much of anything, not even fucking Excel and emacs
>though I might be able to get Excel working by using some android wine app

Theres always Google Sheets

Attached: google-sheets-icon.jpg (1027x971, 77K)

Can't you just install Linux on it?

I have the thinkpad chromebook and I run Debian on it.

ChromeOS is objectively a better OS than Linux, or GNU plus Linux as I’ve started calling it.

Naive boy! Chromeos is gentoo at the base!

It just works and I don't have to worry about ricing or security cause we have the good folks at google doing that!
inb4 google botnet

You can run any Linux app on it with some fiddling, you have to be in developer mode and stuff: youtu.be/k29JG5nOaps?t=712

i absolutely love my chromebook, it never lags, i restart it only when it gets updated (once every week). with android apps and linux containers this is going to be the ultimate os. you can like it or not it doesn't matter but i got my baby for $120 from a dumb person and it's the prettiest and comfiest laptop i love it

Attached: Screenshot 2018-06-15 at 13.55.29.png (1366x768, 694K)

Which model did you get?
Acer? Asus? Samsung?

Jow Forums complains about Winbotnet10 and considers a Chromebook?
>I don't even

>Acer? Asus? Samsung?

Acer chromebook 14 gold version with 4 gigs of ram

>$120
Actually a good deal

Attached: Impressed.png (288x288, 118K)

I got my acer r11 for exchanging it with my old samsung note 4! Not a bad deal I'd say! 4 gb ram and 32 emmc storage! 10 hrs battery life!

Love my Chromebook. Acer c740. Gave it a 128gb M.2 and installed Arch Linux on it. Can run Windows, if I was a winfag drone.

damn thing wont boot and the recovery usb they have me make does nothing, these things are garbage

>botnet os
>shit performance/price ratio
>can't replace os with linux distro
>must enable dev mode to use linux
>ugly
Chromebooks are one of the worst tech memes to be honest.
Buy any cheap laptop that lets you install whatever you want instead.

Attached: buythisOP.jpg (1280x720, 100K)

>can't replace os with linux distro
Yes you can retard. I bought my chromebook with the sole intention of doing that.
>must enable dev mode to use linux
This literally takes 5 minutes to do

>>windows is not botnet!
>>installs linux for productivity and security reasons and spends 3 hours a day ricing and choosing wallpaper and adjusting fonts!
>> 10hrs battery life not performance when refering to portable device!
Also chromeos is gentoo at it's core you misinformed tard!

>gentoo at its core
It doesn’t change the fact that the os is literally just google chrome on its surface

>it's core
Go back to school

>spends 3 hours a day ricing and choosing wallpaper and adjusting fonts
Wow! How can I defend against this excellent generalization now?

is the c101pa any good? can i charge it with any usb-c charger? (live outside the us, none are sold where i live so i have to order off amazon)

English is not my native language but I would like to point out that by nitpicking about my grammar you admit a lack of arguments regarding my previous post!

Why r chromebooks better than dells especially given they cost same (400ish for 4gb ram) in au?

My inspiron 3000 is fanless and has great kbd m.ebay.com.au/itm/Dell-Inspiron-11-3000-AMD-7th-GEN-A9-9420e-Laptop-4GB-RAM-128GB-eMMC-Storage-/392016631792

vs below has bigger disk and better gfx

m.ebay.com.au/itm/Acer-C731E-Premium-Education-Chromebook-11-6-Intel-Celeron-N3160-Quad-Core-4GB-/282943420638

I have a 500e with a crouton installation and it's really quite nice. I use chrome os for media and proprietary Android shit and Linux for light development and gaming, and other little things here and there that I just couldn't do in chrome os. And 32gb is enough storage if that's a concern too, I find that most shit that's storage intensive I just use my micro SD then keep it internal for programs.

I think chromebooks are gay. But I love the idea, a machine that is barebones and only have a barebones setup and mostly aimed at browsing and lightweight computing purposes. But anyone with a basic understanding of ricing should be able to create such a computer himself.

Tell me what a chrome book can do that a simple phone can't do

>Jow Forums is one person
Found your error.

>chromeos is gentoo at it's core
If you take a glass of water and add a bit of cyanide, would you still drink it? It's still 95%+ water at its core.

Last for a full day of work, keyboard and mouse, larger screen, run Linux apps.

>last a day
Get a power bank
>keyboard & mouse
Navigation tools, not comparable
>Run Linux apps
So can android :^)
>large screen
Get a TV or projector instead

i installed windows 10 on my acer c720 and it fits quite nicely

>Get a power bank
Lmao you said "simple phone" you retarded nigger, no (You) for you.

Or my be get a longer charger cable. Anyways
Price of phone + Longer Charge cable + Power Bank

who the fuck uses a tv or projector for productivity???
excel and chill anyone?

Test

I have the Toshiba Chromebook 2.

>Intel Celeron 3215u
>4GB DDR3
>16GB internal storage (m.2 SATA based, not emmc)
>13.3" 1080p IPS panel
>Backlit keyboard
>3 cell battery (around 14 hours of use if screen is kept at sub 50% brightness.

Got it for $300 brand new with a 128GB microSD card as extra storage for it. Still bummed about the security flaws in Intel CPUs though. I'm buying a Ryzen based thinkpad A485 fully specced out when it launches.

And who the fuck uses chrome book for that

>work at a webhost
>everyone uses windows but knows how to ssh
>only linux user on my shift besides my roommate who builds gentoo kernels
>roommate pulls me aside and says when I walked out of the room they were talking shit about my chromebook
>tfw libreboot
>tfw full gallium XE550C22 support
>tfw removable ram and ssd
>tfw runs cs:go on higher frames than their toshibas (they gave up)

Attached: aa6ebf92aba58d606d51bbb87ec8c0919bc1d7c7-1.jpg (1032x774, 39K)

300 bucks for a fucking celeron?

what chromebook model do you have faggot

Ideally how would an ideal freedom friendly Chrome OS would look like?
>Gentoo minimal install
>LightDM with good theme
>Custom plymouth screen with Tux instead of Chrome Logo
>Only Firefox, urxvt, heavily customised Launcher(Is there one like that?) , panel(tint2?) and WM (Which one is ideal?) installed into a system
>Also some programs to manager users and network and access to files and to play audio/video
>Rest installed using app images and don't need sudo
Give me ideas anons

>legit posted model in shit u quoted

Yea. $280 actually + taxes. It was when all other major Chromebook models only had 768p TN panels. Having 13.3" 1080l IPS was considered the high end.

Actually looks comfy, thread is convincing me since I don't have a laptop atm. Are they good build quality? Other cheap laptops seem to be flimsy plastic trash, only exasperated by their larger size. I'm guessing they're still plastic, but are they at least sturdy?

bumping this question

What the fuck do you mean, where?

no you're better off buying a cheap windows laptop and only running chrome if you want a good chrome os experience. At least they come actual modern processors.

what are cheapest but still decent power arm chromebooks?
do any of those have usbc?

Honestly Chromebook pixel is basically the only one worth buying ATM. you can run Android apps and soon Linux software (if not already, IDK).

Some web developers do.

Many companies make Chromebooks, so it depends entirely on the brand and model.

My daily driver right now is a 4GB RAM Acer CB3-131 with GalliumOS. I have virtually no complaints, aside from the lack of storage space and my laziness toward mounting my Home folder on an SD Card. I won't need to upgrade until this craps out.
Also lack of Android apps, been 'coming soon' since the start of last year.

No trackpoint

>daily driver
kys

I own a Dell Chromebook 13. The glass trackpad and screen and battery are all amazing to run Linux on. The keyboard layout is rough without proper function keys.

Use dev mode + crouton and you run linux alongside chromeos. You can even load linux apps into chrome windows.

>Acer chromebook 14
my nigga

Does this require a lot of system resources to do?

People saying Chromebooks are "underpowered" are missing the point. A cheap Celeron processor is in fact exactly the right amount of power to run ChromeOS perfectly.

For $300 you can get a wafer thin all-metal chassis Chromebook with FHD screen. The same $300 for a Windows 10 machine will get you either a refurbished ex-office brick or a new plastic piece of shit with, surprise, the same Celeron and 4GB RAM you'd get in a Chromebook - with the disadvantage of unblockable updates eating up your meagre onboard storage and cluttering your screen with adverts for Candy Crush and Xbox store apps.

M'baby pictured here. Affordable luxury and a truly glorious shitposting machine. If it had an SD card slot it would be PERFECT.

Attached: s-l640.jpg (640x568, 15K)

no. You'll be able to get a 8th gen intel processor and have the freedom to only run chrome if that's what you really want or actually use any other OS.

>A cheap Celeron processor is in fact exactly the right amount of power to run ChromeOS perfectly.
THIS. Lower spec = lower wattage required = longer battery life.
These machines aren't for encoding video or gaming.

GET A CHROMEBOOK

You can get a quad core acer BRAND new for $200 or less

Quad core thinkpads are over $1k new...wtf?

Once chromeos has games its over for you windows/pc/console gamers

Ive begun investing in chromebooks because I estimate a price hike to over $1k even on used models....

MFW the pixel is already almost that much ,my point exactly.

DONT BUY THINKPAD OR ANY OTHER "GAMING" LAPTOP. ITS JUST LOOKS.

Look at the acer chromebook 14 or 15. For ~$300 it's aluminum with a 1080p screen, good battery life, and decent keyboard/trackpad.

Thin, low-grade, cheap aluminum is literally worse and less durable than an expensive high quality plastic chasis.

"1080p screen" with horrible angles, horrible color, horrible refresh rate, horrible response time.

imagine being this STUPID and addicted to buzzwords

What I'm saying is a W10 laptop DOESN'T give you the freedom to only run Chrome. W10 pushes Cortana, live tiles, store app ads, Edge browser, and all manner of other shit in your face. Not to mention virus updates, warnings, and the aforementioned unblockable updates that make a mockery of any attempt to debloat your machine.

For a person whose sole use case for a computer is smooth, safe and secure access to web services, the fact that that's ALL ChromeOS does - and nothing else - is a huge bonus.

Imagine being this ignorant.
Have you SEEN the Acer 14 screen?
Have you FELT the Acer 14 chassis?
It's a beautifully made machine.

$250

why does it matter if you only use chrome? Is microsoft actually going to break that shit with an update? The machine could be bloated to fuck and it wouldn't matter.

Or use chromium OS. Or Linux. Or bsd.

netbooks are back, but now they have a shitty botnet os

"masterrace" indeed

nice botnet

No you

gayer than macbooks

Yes, Microsoft DO break shit with updates.
And if a W10 machine is loaded with bloatware, it actively detracts from the experience of using the machine. Your digitard elderly relative doesn't want to open up their laptop and be relentlessly spammed with animated adverts for Minecraft and told their machine is going to shut down in 2 minutes for the latest patches every couple of days. They just want to "go on the internet" and watch cat videos on facebook. For them, extra processing power is just an expensive overhead with a noisy fan, and extra applications are just another thing to get in the way or break.
I'll say it again, if your sole use case for a computer is accessing web services, and you don't care about any of that other shit computers can do, then ChromeOS is the best choice

>b-but freetard OSs
lol no

an ipad

I really liked my chromebook until the soldered on storage failed and it was a useless hunk of plastic.

when the fuck was I talking about old people watching cat videos? We're talking about buying chromebooks and running linux or windows on them.

omg user you are such a thick bastard

I have the Pixel 2 and the Pixelbook. They're both quality machines that have great keyboards and screens for work and browsing. But with either chrx or crouton I can do everything else besides play the latest games.

This is what I'm afraid will happen.

acer 14 screen is TN and has poor color reproduction

Are you trolling?

>google
>security
pick one

>t. pajeet

/thread

>Also chromeos is gentoo at it's core you misinformed tard!
you can't make this shit up lmao

How hard is it to install gnu linux on a chromebook, thinking of getting one bc of lightweight, fast, simple etc.

Because I'm not a soiboi and I like to do bicep curls with my P50.

BASED

i love chrome os

a chad in my gym uses a chromeos tablet to record his workout

>Jow Forums
>gym
pick one faggot

>Can't you just install Linux on it?
Yeah but that doesn't solve the problem of noapps.

I have a Thinkpad T430 that I'm working on maxing out (got a SSD in there, 12gb ram) and I got a 1600x900 HD+ screen coming in the mail any day now. I plan to get a 9cell slice battery to max out my battery life and I might upgrade the CPU if I feel like it afterwards. It's just a fun hobby.

I also have 2 chromebooks. An Acer Chromebook 15" with an i5 processor, 4gb ram and IPS screen. It's beautiful and I dual boot linux on it. I absolutely love it but I can't use it for my job (web dev) because I use photoshop.

My other chromebook is a 2-in-1 11 inch Acer R11 with 4gb ram. I use it the most because it's comfy, fast and responsive on ChromeOS.

Chromebooks are starting to get more developer support and becoming work machines but they still have a few years to go. I would like to see the standard mid-tier Chromebook come with 8gb ram instead of 4gb and more i5 processors.

When Chromebook can give us slightly better hardware and much better developer support then I believe they can compete with Thinkpads for the title of best nerdbook.

with all of this said, I still use a Macbook for work lol.