crystal-lang.org/

Attached: crystal.jpg (345x337, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bountysource.com/teams/crystal-lang/fundraisers/702-crystal-language
twitter.com/AnonBabble

My man.

is this going to become wildy adopted?

>They was wrong.
Technically, they can't, depending on what you mean by speed. But I was fine with the reasonable-well-compiled-languages-with-GC
ballpark.
I hope so, but at the moment it seems development is somewhat stuck. In any way, I don't expect them to become usable in less than 5 years. Which is also ok, as long as they don't experiment in the "stable" release, as dlang did.

Coming from a non-ruby background, the lack of actually useful documentation made it painful to learn crystal sometimes. That said, it's a damn comfy language with great potential. The only thing I don't like is that all applications are linked statically and the programs are thus self contained, making patching with a distros package manager unreliable (or maybe I just got that one wrong). By the way, does anybody have time to review my incomplete cli bug tracker written in crystal?

>Coming from a non-ruby background, the lack of actually useful documentation made it painful to learn crystal sometimes.
This. Moreso the fact that the language is documented in another place than the standard library.
>The only thing I don't like is that all applications are linked statically and the programs are thus self contained, making patching with a distros package manager unreliable (or maybe I just got that one wrong).
How is it unreliable to just replace the entire blob? Also, let's not praise bistro packaging too much...
>By the way, does anybody have time to review my incomplete cli bug tracker written in crystal?
Unlikely. Best go to the specific subreddit, and I mean this in a non-harmful way.

>Ruby syntax
Fucking gross. Of all the syntaxes available, why that awful mess?

Because words are best, fuck the rest.
That said, block syntax is gross and two spaced indentation ruined quite a lot of languages for me.

Ruby's not python, no identation is forced upon you.

Because the blob is huge. Also, the language brings it's own package manager so in theory you could built the loaded packages as libs that can be easily replaced, but they're built into the blob as well

>huge
>about 10mb
Unfortunately 2 spaces is convention in the ruby world.

When is it coming to winblows?

is the page loading for you Jow Forumsents?
bountysource.com/teams/crystal-lang/fundraisers/702-crystal-language

There's some JS running amok.

How Crystal is different from D, Nim or Go? All these languages try to unsit C++, yet fail miserably because of GC.
If you really care about performance and safety, you should use Rust.

Site itself is loading, but the content gets stuck

>conventions
if it's your work you can make up your own
Nobody cares nerd

>How Crystal is different from D, Nim or Go?
It's called "rapid application development", user. Crystal is to Ruby what Nim is to Python. Go is for brainlets and D is a half-assed attempt to replace C++ with minimally better results.
>All these languages try to unsit C++
Actually it's only D, and it could have succeeded if it didn't fuck around for almost two decades.

looks like a java version with dynamic types like in ruby and mixed with c++ syntax.

what a monstrosity

>Ruby syntax
Why

>looks like a java version with dynamic types like in ruby and mixed with c++ syntax.
It's actually a Java version with static types and Ruby only syntax. And better metaprogramming.

>Calling c like GO for brainlets while trying to shill ruby like syntax as a good thing
just leave

>two spaced indentation ruined
what?
2 is amazing.
I can permit 4
anything more is full retard

also IF/ENDIF is the god tier block style
followed by python
with braces at the very bottom of the shitlist

Attached: 052521b66bfb16acbd191d5da9473cdb.png (900x1158, 187K)

Consider suicide

>c-like go
>>/plebbit/
>2 is amazing
At some point your eyes disagree. And I say that as someone who can cheat in some guess game by reading stuff that is printed to small for normal humans, unlike my superhuman bionic eyes.

D O A
O
A

>They was
>was
Why do you suck in English?

smooth transition from ruby projects/libraries

Til this day when crystal has been diverting more and more from ruby, it's still pretty much effortless to rewrite something from ruby to crystal.

Notable example of code reuse is the crystal stdlib itself.

I like the blackness in this logo resembling C.

I wish the actual C logo had more black on it.

>*spin behind you*
heh, nothin personnel

>garbage collected
For fuck sake...

more important
>conservative collector

99% of people complaining about garbage collection know nothing about it and use ad hoc versions anyway.

You can always malloc() yourself like a caveman gramps