What’s really the point of using something like freedos?

What’s really the point of using something like freedos?

Attached: image.jpg (602x472, 129K)

updating bios on legacy motherboards

Legacy POS applications.

Some Yuro countries have a retarded consumer-protection law that states that computers may not be sold without an OS installed. So to get around that some places offer FreeDOS as the "no, I don't want a fucking windows license" option.

Why not just use some loonix distro? maybe ubuntu for consumer models and centOS for business lappys?

>mfw not sure if in that context pos means pos or pos
>mfw both fundamentally mean the same though

prolly because it takes more time and effort

>Instead of installing one OS
>Install a different OS
wowthatwashard.jpeg

>centos on a laptop
no

this. I use it to update by BIOS while sweating bullets.

>FreeDOS on anything
no

Even if burning an image, FreeDOS is lighter than Humongous or RedCrap and will take less time

Even if burning an image, Humongous or RedCrap is lighter than Pajeetdows and will take less time

not untrue

what about DOS games

Playing certain games the way they were meant to be played.

Attached: TYR_DELIANI3.png (640x480, 91K)

And FreeDOS is lighter than the three of them, so if you just wanna ship the box out as fast as you can with an OS to comply with some potato regulation, that's the way to go. If you really want some light Linux, you could try Core Linux.

why not? I've always used CentOS on laptops.

To do DOS stuff on modern hardware.

Fuck, the amount of shit that doesn't work anymore on modern systems is disturbing. From business software, over business hardware, to vidja.

DOSbox
>Core Linux
You mean Tiny Core? That's a pretty nice distro.

Core is part of the Tiny Core umbrella; "classic" Tiny Core weighs 16MB while Core weighs 11MB. Core used to be named Micro Core which to be honest led to less confusion.

it's designed for servers
run fedora or suse like a normal person

>feladora
>succe

>normal person

Literally faggot tier

>it's designed for servers
ah so THAT'S why it has a desktop install option! I got it now. Thanks.

Attached: b90.png (645x729, 91K)

well i use debian i don't use rpm distros
i think they're all shit but using centos on laptop is dumb as fuck

ok enjoy your prehistoric software

businesses seem to have a fetish for prehistoric software. that's why I recommended it for the b u s i n e s s laptops.
Also, I find it kind of ironic that you're complaining about CentOS being prehistoric when we're in a thread about fucking DOS

Attached: d04.png (478x523, 14K)

Dosbox.
thank you

Attached: db.png (306x303, 83K)

/thread
Startpage is your friend

this one with the antlers is oddly cute

UwU

based harkonnen advisor

based based poster

It's not. It's based on RHEL, which itself is for workstations or servers just like any other version of Linux.

Wasn't that a Microsoft OEM contract clausule?

There's a level of stability that RHEL/CentOS has because it's not bleeding edge. And really, a lot of that stuff can be added if you want just by geting it from repos that have it. I've posted up screenshots in the past with my own CentOS7 desktop that has Steam installed and got nothing but questions about it because you gents didn't know it was even possible.

They install Linux too, I should probably ask my local store why they alter between FreeDOS and Linux.

PCem has far greater compatibility and accuracy if you don't mind the extended install/setup time.

not good enough. It's best when run on metal.

I think Microsoft did try to pull shit like this.

>install a toy os
are you serious?

I have a piece of Shareware from the 1980s that I use with FreeDOS and VNC to let folks on the network access and print to a Postscript printer via virtual LPT1.

YMMV

Because then some people would actually try to use that and the manufacturer would have to give support for it.

Having a distraction-free writing environment.

Attached: wordstar.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg (590x332, 138K)

Drivers, maybe even non-free drivers. Anyway, it's easier to just TFTP install FreeDOS without everything than care about a Linux image, update it, contact manufacturers to get new drivers once in a few years, test it... Time is money and money is everything.

This.
Used it to update the BIOS of my X201 and my Clevo barebone.

Wordstar, distraction free? Nigga, what you're wanting is Wordperfect.

Apparently George RR Martin writes all his books in Wordstar

Wouldn't surprise me. Something about that era of word processor just seems more "writer friendly" in terms of their general presentation.

>Distraction free
>Half your screen is filled with shit

You can hide it, user.

>Playing certain games the way they were meant to be played.

without sound and music?

eh PCem is still dodgy here and there
though I used it mainly for Win98 stuff since DosBox is pretty much plug'n'play when it comes to dos games