Stop using GUIs

"The X server has to be the biggest program I've ever seen that doesn't do anything for you."
-- Ken Thompson

"I can type faster than I can point. And my mother told me that pointing is impolite."
"I have a mouse, but don't have a mouse driver for MINIX and have never felt the need to write one. Typing "rm x y z" is a lot faster than clicking five times and then having to convince the system that you really, truly, mean it and this is not a mistake and that you are consenting adult over 18 and that you completely understand the consequences and you still want to do it."
-- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

"The computers went wrong when you made them for niggers. That's when it went wrong. It's like how many people, it's like, "Ugh it's a command line.." Ah, fuck you man. White people don't mind it, ok? The white people are like, "Yeah it's a command line. So what's your point?" The niggers are all like, "Nooo! We don't like the command line!" Here's the difference in a white person and a nigger: Do you like the command line? Ok, you're a nigger. Fuck you. Get the fuck out."
-- Terry A. Davis

Attached: some_generic_shit.png (1024x768, 106K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Fox_(computer_programmer)
9fans.github.io/plan9port/man/man1/rio.html
github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/VIDEO.md
cristal.inria.fr/~weis/info/commandline.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Would love to move to CLI only but then how do I watch videos and browse this site //wew this is not spam stupid system ** this is a very good comment please kindly accept it idiotic spam filter what the heck is going on???//

Attached: 4E629CF8-AEB5-4573-8C77-3272F49CBE98.gif (500x558, 16K)

>how do I watch videos
Doesn't mpv work in a TTY? I haven't tried it yet, but I heard it could
>browse this site
that's the only issue. w3m doesn't seem to be able to load Jow Forums.

you could use it with libcaca then it would definitely work in a TTY. you'd just have to settle for literal ascii graphics :D

>w3m doesn't seem to be able to load Jow Forums.
Seems to load fine for me in lynx/w3m, unless you're specifically talking about posting, not just browsing.

>Stop using what i don't like WAAAAAAAA! Waaaaa! *sobs* *wipes tears with Fedora* WAAAAAAAAAAAA!

>"The computers went wrong when you made them for niggers.
Unironically Terry is correct like there. Windows went downhill when Microsoft realized children, niggers and soccer moms is an untapped source of money. Win2k was the last windows OS made with the professional user in mind. But then came the XP, with gaudy childish UI and usueless features.

Being a commandline user does not mean you cannot take benefits of a windowing system you niggers.

exwm for example, is an emacs-like window manager for X. You don't need a mouse.

I would fucking love to. DE's are huge annoying bloat however there is just no terminal program for comfortable web browsing. w3m img comes close but no CSS support

>The computers went wrong when you made them for niggers. That's when it went wrong. It's like how many people, it's like, "Ugh it's a command line
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Fox_(computer_programmer)

Attached: bfox.jpg (194x260, 5K)

Open-source people are physically incapable of making a good GUI.

Prove me wrong.

Hint: A good GUI is not a system where your mouse travels for miles and clicks on one button after another, or where barely documented hotkeys are the only way to use the tool.

GUI itself is not the problem. Just the GNU/Linux approach to it.
Microsoft has a decent approach. Take it, make it more customizable and it will be literally perfect.
Fuck, I so fucking wish I could a Win10-like GUI but with proper customization.

Fucking based!

9fans.github.io/plan9port/man/man1/rio.html

I can't use a keyboard with one hand as easily as i can use a mouse. If anything gimme mouse gestures that feel intuitive.

Attached: 1507149278947.png (351x395, 31K)

dont tell me what to do, faggot!

That doesn't look anything like a fully featured desktop environment with modern features.

Can I use webkit/firefox/icecat/seamonkey/whatever without X.Org?

I'm sorry there's no candy crush...

Or task bar. Or window gestures. Or a way to pin programs and launch them with either mouse or keyboard.

Does it even react to alt+tab?

He is a black man, not a nigger.

So he's a white man? Terry only spoke about white men and niggers.

Well, Terry also haven't mentioned asians, are asians white men or niggers?

well can asians be niggers?
I don't think so.

>he doesnt know about windows server 2003, 2008, 2012, 2016, which are in the same series as windows 2k.
consumer versions of windows were always the same. did you forgot what windows 98 looked like after first install, with 'active desktop' meme shit and a shortcut "connect to MSN network!"?

I just wanna say on this subject, in the past I always hated using GPG for email. no matter what I tried, something would always go wrong. This was especially true when I tried to use thunderbird+enigmail. Dear god that was horrible. It actually started messing with my keypairs and shit, creating new keypairs for my email accounts even though I already made them manually, and it would default to its own shitty keypairs making shit really confusing.
Everything changed when I finally stopped being such a brainlet and installed Mutt. Mutt works excellently, and the GPG support doesn't silently reconfigure stuff on its own in an effort to be """helpful""". It literally just accepts the exact key ID I tell it to use in the config file. Simple, elegant, logical. Hooray for command-line!

> posts OS missing almost every convenience from the last 20 years
> claims all modern GUI features are tantamount to a meme piece of advertising
sure bud

yeah, and the hotdog stand! I loved that in 3.1.
It came standard.

Just use kde faggot

Rare

>my mother told me that pointing is impolite
solid argument

Apple pushed the GUI on everyone with the Lisa then the Mac. And it was more for corporate suits (i.e. white men) who were too fucking stupid to type in commands as well as waiting for the light to go out before ripping floppies out of their drives (thus losing data) and secretaries (also white) who were too busy sucking the boss's cock and taking it in the ass in the janitor's closet to do anything that involved typing in commands to launch a program.

I tried KDE and it's shit.

Then stick with windows and stop bothering people that tried windows and thought it was shit

Men didn't use computers
Typing is womens work.

I will keep bothering them until someone gets his dick out of his ass and makes a desktop environment that is suitable for more than alibi purposes.
Linux works perfectly fine in the CLI. It's baffling that no one is trying to make a GUI that is just as elegant as any of the actually good shells.

>I will keep whining for someone else to do shit that I cant but want

They did make it, you poo'd it without even running it, so you're just a whiney bitch.

This doesn't count as a mouse, does it?

Attached: trackpoint.jpg (1024x768, 99K)

>men didn't use computers

clearly you weren't around in the 80's.

everyone can be a nigger, are you new to this site?

Attached: ricegum-1.jpg (1280x720, 83K)

>I do things in an unnecessarily inconvenient way, so I can brag about it on the internet

clearly you thought you were a man in the 80's

Oh look another underaged suburban white boi.

oh look, another boomer stormfag/T_Dnigger that came here straight from redditbook in 2016

Attached: 1527550358087-g.jpg (640x852, 344K)

>nother boomer stormfag
I'm not the retard that thinks it's ok to freely use the word nigger, especially as dumb as one that would call a white person or asian a nigger.
How fucking summer can you be?

Browse with links2 and pipe Youtube videos to MPlayer.

the command line is good for executing commands, that's it. you need a gui for literally everything else.

only if you're a brainlet.

You cam read pdfs with fbpdf, I think there is also a framebuffer package for mpv.

This.

ok well thanks to guis we have powerful IDEs, interactive websites, business software, file explorers, games, and this lovely shithole called Jow Forums. the command line came first, guis followed. all the best oses use guis, in the future 3D guis may be the norm

Hey guys, want to watch movies on your TTY? Here github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/VIDEO.md

Explains why bash is such a pile of trash.

>fbdev
Jesus fucking christ dude, use drm.

>drm
Not available in all distros.

Time to fucking trash whatever distro you're using then.

What do you use?

Arch

GUI is important for analysis and monitoring. But I agree that 99% it is bloated shit.

you could've at least picked a proper shell
also, those colors are too hackerman for me

cristal.inria.fr/~weis/info/commandline.html

Attached: 18937.jpg (257x400, 19K)

It's just a random pic. Hence the filename.
My actual shell session usually uses zsh or mksh

>In the Beginning
was the Command Line by By Neal Stephenson
My man.

Attached: 1512792107349.gif (500x420, 347K)

Have you tried qutebrowser? Or is that not purely CLI enough for you?

>quoting words from literal boomers and psychopath
its 2018, not 1978
kysop

Attached: 30_yo_boomer.jpg (234x215, 8K)

>qutebrowser
>qt
bloat and not CLI

>How fucking summer can you be?
nigger cattle detected

>I'm a curmudgeon, I refuse to adapt to new technology despite being a tech enthusiast myself and people worship me on an online Mongolian thimble-collecting repository.
>Also:

Attached: 1528237862732.jpg (979x719, 79K)

Ken Thompson was involved with Plan 9, a system that uses the mouse extremely heavily.
What he was actually complaining about is how absurdly fucking fat X is (and it really is -- Plan 9's windowing system, Rio, is loads smaller, and largely does most of the same shit, including being able to run programs from over the network).

Rio's actually fucking weird. It's nice, but it takes nearly nothing from the line of UIs that have been made from the Lisa or Mac-style desktop. It's very simple and you probably could actually train people on it really easily. Took me only around an hour for it to stop feeling weird, despite it literally not having anything to do with the last 30+ years of UI design.
but it was made for professionals and academics (Plan 9 is a research OS -- it was made to be good enough for general use, since they ate their own dogfood for a while, but it was a test bed for various ideas more than anything else), and isn't really discoverable -- you're expected to have read the manual or have been taught how to use it

>task bar
Rio can show hidden windows (buried under other windows or manually hidden) in a window list. Non-hidden windows are right there, so you can just click on them.
>alt+tab
Plan 9 generally avoids key shortcuts for things that are mouse driven. A mouse is mandatory equipment, and key shortcuts largely date from the era where mice weren't standard on computers.

mind you, I kinda think that was a mistake, but Plan 9's fairly ideologically pure, so it sticks to its mistakes

If there is a way for plan 9 to not look so white and it can actually use network and watch movies I would use it.

what's the difference between plan9 and inferno?

>network and watch movies
this is literally my biggest problem

as for appearance, you can recompile rio or download one of the re-colored ones available
but I really dunno why coloring isn't configurable

I will say, Plan 9's fairly pleasant with color. Nice, soft colors that are distinguishable, but generally fade away out of mind.

they're different systems entirely
inferno is a virtual machine, like Java's JVM

Attached: you.jpg (1300x867, 200K)

>hates GUI
>proceeds creating halft-assed [=========graphics, lol ===========> in terminal.

Nice clitoris you have here!

ha ha fpbp tbqh

Attached: 1519256560997.jpg (666x888, 80K)

>Typing "rm x y z" is a lot faster than clicking five times
W R O N G

>The computers went wrong when you made them for niggers.
THIS
web went to shit thanks to Jobs and his iphone and then fb and it's app

--vo=caca

nou

not him but i use arch too :^)

He's clearly got some white in him (like most blacks in America).

Depends on the task. You can definitely make a one-hand friendly keyboard interface, although you'd either need to mirror bindings or have it made to be used with one side or the other. Picture how a lot of games handle it, though. In a 3D game they expect you to have left hand on the keyboard and right on the mouse, so they put the most important binds very close together on the far left. WASD for movement, modifiers for walk/run/crouch and such. Other things depend on the game, but usually it's all within reach.

i dont disagree with the use of GUI itself. I just disagree with all this mouse-shit. e.g. bspwm with nothing but terminals is a godsend on a big monitor. you have emacs , documentation, terminal, chats... all just one shortcut away and permanently running, specifically multple virtual desktops are a really nice gimmick. For me a mouse is essentially a tool i need becauise it is forced onto me or to do graphics stuff. thats all i have to use it for xD

Underrated post. The simplicity of the CLI is often overlooked.
>most programs have a man page or help command and a config file for settings
>you don't have to learn a completely new gui the way you do every time you use a new graphical program
>everything can easily be made to look consistent by simple configuring terminal font and colors instead of having to use a gtk2/gtk3/qt theme
I still use some GUI programs myself, but I'm not gonna say it's because they're better.

If you can turn your angry rant into something slightly more constructive and specific, maybe it can be passed along to someone with the power to do something about it. Maybe make a short list of specific features you like from Windows that you'd want in a desktop environment, or list your favorite features from the various desktop environments you've tried.

Source on the Terry quote? Google just returns this thread.

What do you think of (n)curses programs like ncmpcpp, ranger, mutt, finch, irssi, etc.?

qutebrowser is not at all CLI, although it is an extremely good browser

From how it reads, it sounds like something spoken that was typed out. I don't follow Terry enough to know if it's from a certain video or stream, but that's just my guess.

>caca
Dude, check the thread, we can watch full HD on the TTY.

Can someone start a guide for computing entirely from the command line? A lot of my day is spent using various command line programs, but I still also use mpv and icecat pretty often. Also, if anyone here is familiar with Guix/GuixSD, someone could write a config.scm file with recommend cli programs and settings for anons to build off of.

Seems people are a bit split here. Would you guys rather work in a TTY or fullscreen terminal(s) within an X session? Other answers welcome.

Someone is already trying Full TTY for me please.

Window manager: tmux
File manager: ranger
Text editor: nano, vim, emacs, etc
Spreadsheets: sc
calendar: cal
Web browser: w3m
Video/audio players: mpv, cmus
Torrent client: transmission-cli
Instant messengers: weechat, nctelegram
Vidya: dwarf fortress, nethack, linux tycoon 2, dosbox

Running without X11 is surprisingly do-able for most tasks, but you're probably better off using i3

wat

you do realise you can't shitpost from a tty?

Libcaca is literally obselete. Use --vo=tct --vo-tct-256=yes instead.
>double the resolution
>actual colors
>works with tmux and screen.

>cd /var
>ls
why do retards do this? you do know that you can pass the path to ls, right?

This. He's one of the good ones. I'd be proud if my daughter married him.