A usb with 2GB is not enough

>a usb with 2GB is not enough
>a usb with 4GB is not enough
>a usb with 8GB is not enough
>a usb with 16GB is not enough
IS 32GB ENOUGH?

Attached: usb.jpg (1280x600, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/USB-Flash-Drive-Capacity-PenDrive/dp/B07D13DYVL/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1529090328&sr=8-4&keywords=32mb flash drive
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Enough or not enough is relative for all users, there. What is the point of this thread?

8GB is enough though
dvd iso only has 4.7GB

what are you copying OP?

8GB is enough
16 and 32gb are plenty
More is overkill.

>dvd iso only has 4.7GB
we have blu-rays now that hold 128 GB

>X is not good enough
Typical Jow Forums shit flinging. Learn to use the right tool for the right job. Are you using the USB to store text files like passwords, phone numbers, source code, etc? 2-4GB is more than enough. You wanna use it to boot a modern OS like Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Windows, or MacOS X? 8GB is what you'll need. You wanna store larger files like multiple install ISOs or large amounts of music or pictures? 16-64GB.

Please tell me you aren't the retard who jams all his files into one disk when new flash 64GB drives are cheaper than a dinner out these days.

Attached: 1527478346671.gif (499x499, 1.03M)

8GB drive could not hold the unpacked .dmg file for making a bootable installation drive for a mac.

That said I feel like my 64gb daily carry isn't enough but 128gb drives cost the same as 120gb SSDs, I'm thinking of just making a portable SSD, it'll be faster, and probably last longer too.

Fucking USB3.0 flash drives get so hot when you're dumping large files onto them.

128gb is enough for a very high quality bd rip of one season of a show. And usually more than enough for other use cases.

no

I've got a few cheap shitty 16GB and shitty one 64GB and a higher end 128GB USB drive.

The 128GB one I got for 4k movies which are generally anywhere from 40-75GB.

having faster read/write speeds on top of being double the size of my next smallest, makes it great for transferring UHD content.

Attached: 2018-06-15 13.05.38.jpg (3373x1761, 1.41M)

mine is slimmer/sexier and fits on my keys
you jelly?

Attached: the-best.png (553x513, 361K)

I bet it's slower too

I have this babby here, 120 GB, SSD. They question me every time I pass my bag through some detectors about what that is, and that's the only downside of it.

Attached: th.jpg (350x350, 9K)

A single UHD bluray can easily get to 50GB ever arfer encoding. I would get 128GB or 256GB to be safe.

tfw used a 128mb all throughout high school
[spoiler]in 2016[/spoiler]

>not buying a 1tb usb

Double the price of the SDCZ880-128G, and only 100-150MB/s faster?

yeah its 3.0 not 3.1 so its slower

enough for what? i bought 32gb usb but don't have a whole lot to put on it since i sync all my stuff in personal cloud. i mean usb is alright for temp offline storage but i don't use it that often no more.

looked up the specs, they claim 100MB/s max, realistically probably 50-75MB/s if not even less.

Since mine gets ~300-330MB/s when it claims 380-420MB/s is possible.

I'd rather have the speed than the small sleek size.

yeah i mean its old
there are probably slim/sexy 3.1 ones now

My dvd drive took a shit while installing an OS, so now I can either get a isb to boot from or replace the drive, either way im fucked until I get paid

Shitposting other boards from mobile and doing algorithms with pen and paper, gay as fuck

not really this fast even if they are 3.1

The main reason it's so big is because it needs to dissipate heat, the larger metal case can dissipate more heat.

When you actually start writing 70GB+ to it from a singular file, it goes at a solid pace and gets VERY hot.

I've been using 128GiB sticks for a few years now.

64GB is perfect

Correct on both accounts. Leave it to Jow Forumstards to buy uselessly expensive shit and then brag about it.

Kingston DataTraveler HyperX USB 3.0 1TB USB

USB sticks started having "enough" storage capacity when they hit the 4Gb mark.

so what do you carry with you on a 128gb zip diskette?

its enough if the files being stored are under 32gb

All slow af ',:^)

Attached: IMG_20180615_195736.jpg (1581x1186, 68K)

>tfw I bought a 16GB SanDisk Extreme when it came out.
almost 200MB/s from this relic is nice.
My Samsung 128GB is slow as fuck and it's so bad that it throttles below USB2.0 speeds.

Mine has the superblock fucked up

Not even close all 4k or blueray movies are between 32-64gbs

Some above 100gbs.

So not even close

512GB will be enough. But it has to be fast and with some kind of TRIM. A portable SSD in other words.

I currently use a slow 128GB. It's causing me pain.

>a usb
I know you mean one of those new little zip disquettes, but you can't just call it a usb.

yifi would like a word with you

FPBP
>mfw no 32MB flash drives to store encryption keys and nothing else

>puts his SSD through metal detectors
Cringe, at least tell me you don’t put them through xrays at the airport

32gb is NOT enough

I bought a 64gb flash drive a few years ago

256gb is what im buying some time this week

but anything below 64gb is NOT ENOUGH

amazon.com/USB-Flash-Drive-Capacity-PenDrive/dp/B07D13DYVL/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1529090328&sr=8-4&keywords=32mb flash drive

"Enough" is relative. What is 2GB not "enough" for? Installing Linux? Use a less bloated distro. Installing Windows? There's your first problem. USB removable storage that isn't an actual SSD or HDD SHOULD only be used for small transfers such as moving a few files or loading an OS into a ramdisk for installing to a real Mass Storage Device.

tl;dr 2GB is enough if you don't suck cocks, 4GB is enough if you do.

m-my gf says 4GB is enough

Sure, how else are you going to travel with them? Besides, that's what backups, insurance and warranty is for.

ive been using a 4gb usb as main drive for a netbook. i have to juggle packages uninstalling things and reinstalling if i need them. for most of a year i had like 50mb of free space. just recently reinstalled using f2fs instead of ext4, again only installing the bare minimum of shit and now i have 500mb of free space

4gb is not enough

No. Get at least 256.

>8GB is enough though
For creating a multiboot live USB that have Arch, Debian with Xfce, Puppy, Kali, PirateBox, Hiren's Boot CD, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, Tails, Gandalf's WinPE, MediCat?

Attached: 4JLRBCz.gif (640x480, 1.21M)

You only need three of those

Your reading comprehension is fucking poor. I said USB removable storage is NOT meant for that kind of stuff. That's what an actual mass storage device such as HDD or SSD is for. It's your own fault for using the wrong tool for the job. 4GB is plenty for a removable device. You're using it incorrectly, and I'm going to laugh my ass off when it totally fails on you because you're using removable, damn near disposable, short term storage in a scenario where you're meant to be using a long-term storage solution. Retard.

This is a funny reply.

Those are Walmart tier. Get a good USB 3.1 Flash Drive if you want speed.

lol there's been bluerays capable of over 1tb literally ten years ago.

I've got a sandisk like the middle one. I've had it for over 2 years. It was a steal of a deal for about 15 bucks when I got it. The plastic ring at the end broke, so I started using the inner ring and leaving the port out all the time. Then that plastic part broke. The drive still works great, I save a shitload of pics from this malinois raising board and I've only had one file get corrupted so far. So that middle one is a good drive. /blog

I was talking about performance. Even the cheapest chink flash drive will keep files good for a good time, but it won't be fast at transferring.

Currently posting from a thinkpad(tm) I run arch btw with a 128gb sandisk 3.1 drive as the main hard drive/boot disk. You can find them on sale from time to time for around $40. It works great, but it immediately becomes very hot to the touch when using it as the OS drive.

You're using the wrong tool for the job, dipshit namefag. Get a fucking job and buy a real drive for your OS.

1 gb enough

>not having 64GB usb

Attached: 1527334438538.gif (500x500, 1.71M)

why all of those?
what's the point, aside from dick swinging?

I use it because I can carry all my shit between my home machine, laptop, and work computers without having to resort to using my laptop for all three.

then use a fucking syncing solution you mong

i haven't used Linux installed on a usb since i had to hide from my abusive parents. useless for everything except a token measure of security

Great Idea! I'll deal with updating 3-4 machines as well as never be able to use my shit on a computer that isn't mine! I thought handing all my files to the botnet was a great idea already!

you got me tho i am a namefag

No

Ow, the edge.

Depends on what you're doing with it. 8GB is good for burning installation media, and I use a 16GB as an intermediary for my schoolwork in case I get hit by a car and my laptop snaps or something. If I was seriously transferring large files like videos I'd get an external thunderbolt SSD.

8GB too much I only want to boot dban or memtest86

Don't you burn yourself after using it?
I've used high density slim drives before and they get very hot with use.

>I have no comeback: the post.

Probably. The solid metal ones are better by virtue of the shell doubling as a heatsink, but they also get really hot because the shell doubles as a heatsink. That user's isn't really a slim one though. If it's a serious issue the Silicon Power ones tend to be slow as shit but generate less heat.

>Not keeping your UHD ISO's on them

NANI?!

128gb should be the limit for flash drives
anything beyond that, you might as well get an external hard drive

>malinois raising board
So your velociraptor tried to eat it?

SSDs aren't affected by magnets. Even with normalnhard drives, you will need something insanely strong to damage the data. By then, the damage would come from the magnet fucking up the internals, instead of it causing bitflips in the magnetic disks

64GB or 128GB microSD, depending on stock, have the best cost per GB

Only a fool would buy 32GB or 256GB

No, get 128GB.

I only have 128GB ones these days, also USB 3.0 is a must.