Xfce is the best DE

If you're using a DE that isn't Xfce, why?

I understand if your device is underpowered and you're using LXDE.

Attached: Xfce_logo.svg.png (1024x1024, 263K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8M6FWCAkAps
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I originally installed it because the logo had a mouse in it. Best DE ever never looked back

Xfce is god tier.

I thought there was not a lot of difference between XFCE and LXDE in usage. Both are for underpowered systems or less distraction right?

>If you're using a DE that isn't Gnome, why?

>I understand if your device is underpowered and you're using Xfce.

>I understand if your device is underpowered
this is the only time I bother with not-XFCE nowadays
I just run bare Window Maker on those machines, with pcmanfm as my filemanager.

this desu
came for the mouse, stayed for the DE

because KDE has more features and runs better

>Blurry taskbar and borders HECK YEAH! Love me some new, shiny shit!
>*chucks a coin into the swear jar*

Attached: kdeboi.jpg (429x245, 67K)

at least kde is still being developed

And can have the option of actually looking good lmao

KDE looks like shit regardless of theme, tho, unlike based xfce

KDE is about the closest you can get to explorer and a bunch of win32 shit that gets randomly dropped.

I say that with the most degrading intent possible.

please do show your themes then, faggots

gtk and qt both look like ass.

You should use nodejs webapps and console whenever possible.

i just like cinnamon better i suppose... not much else to it desu ne

Lxde uses a very small amount less ram than Xfce, but you are giving up some features in return.

Desktop Environments are for babies. i3 is all you need and more.

I prefer KDE now.
It has a lot more customizability. From appearance options to keyboard shortcuts (I've made the window manager behave like a tiling one).
Also, the panel is way less buggy and has more features out of the box.

>xfeces

I use xfce on one installation and i3 on another. I'm pretty much ok with anything just if it isn't gnome or kde.

Plasma is faster, more featured and uses less resources.
That's why.

Because I use Explorer/User32. That's why.

Plasma+i3 is the patrician choice.

Plasma is better.

Does KDE integrate well with i3?
The desktop (and kwin) animations, the bar, etc.
It feels like it would get buggy

i3wm replaces kwin - that's really the whole point.
KDE is great, except for kwin - which is hot garbage.

I guessed that, but does it integrate well with all the other components of KDE? Specially the KDE bar

one word: dolphin

based xfceposter

>runs better
*krashes*

What do you like of it?

Not him, but it's the best file manager in existence. Thunar, however, is shit.

I feel like they are equal (for the general use I, and most people I think, give to them) but thunar can be executed as root and dolphin can't

DEs are for retards.

people that actually do work*

Thunar can't have per-folder view settings which is annoying. It has less features in general.

Wangtards make this exact same claim. How does it feel to be no better than a wangtard?

Well they do have a point (even though some Linux distros are even easier to use and maintain than Windows), although Windows has a lot of cons compared to Linux.
I did not actually mean that desu, just teasing. I have used Arch without a DE for a long time and thanks to this I've learnt a lot.
I still think that 90% of people here should use a preconfigured distro with a DE instead of a minimal one without a DE.

i use it but the logo is shit

well, all I need from a DE is a

fullscreen app launcher
vertical panel or no one at all
change sound an brightness
change keyboard layout

I got that from gnome, but I would really like to have those on Xfce

Stop treating people like babies.

I'm pretty sure those are on Xfce too

What do you mean? I meant that for time-consuming reasons, not difficulty.
I think there are more valuable things to consume your time with than tweaking your system (99% of the time for things that won't actually improve your productivity).

do you have a link for the fullscreen app launcher

thanks user

That's very specific lol, why do you want it to be fullscreen? You can always install whatever app launcher you want (it's just 1 minute of configuration).
The other ones are included in Xfce, aren't they?

They aren't time consuming. For a basic configuration you only need an hour or so right after you install. And since Arch is a much faster install process, at most 15 minutes, it is still faster than setting up some distro with GNOME.
>I think there are more valuable things to consume your time with than tweaking your system
Some people may enjoy doing that. The only way most of this could be time consuming is if you fuck up or can't type properly.

>Plasma is faster, more featured and uses less resources.
STOP spreading LIES Kfag

KDE is way heavier than Xfce

youtube.com/watch?v=8M6FWCAkAps

Attached: ubuntu flavors.png (849x477, 445K)

I think the first time anyone configures a system like this they are going to fuck up something, or get stuck in some step, etc.
I don't think it's just an hour. But you're right, some people enjoy doing those things, I myself do.

>I think the first time anyone configures a system like this they are going to fuck up something
Maybe if they don't read the relevant manuals.

honestly, I tried Xfce in the worst time possible and for the first day couldn't get sound and couldn't bother fixing it and moved on. but damn my laptop was quiet as hell thanks why I'm thinking of moving back to xfce but I should try kde first to make sure I gave it a shot

>using old comparisons from years ago made by poojeets.
kek.

Holy shit what's wrong with Unity?

Sound isn't DE related

Amazon botnet.
Unity was always shit, it was just a custom UI on top of GNOME.

Because MATE makes me feel nostalgic and has better appearance.

>old comparisons
>old
comparisons made 2 weeks ago

2 WEEKS AGO

oh well I'm a newfag

Attached: sad_pape_frog.jpg (550x550, 24K)

I've used XFCE for a long time and I'm really happy with it. Now I use KDE because I'm on my desktop computer and it doesn't really matter if it uses more resources. KDE has more customizability options (I've made its WM, kwin, behave like a tiling one, which is nice).
Both are great

>Jamal reuploaded 2 weeks ago

Why is there people that like GNOME so much? (genuinely asking) Is it because the think GTK is better than QT? In my experience GNOME is a heavy DE with less features than even the lightest DE like XFCE.
Nostalgic? Why?

I don't like GNOME and agree than Xfce is infinitely better than it and all GNOME forks. A lot of people use GNOME because it's an "industry standard".

Oh I see

>Nostalgic? Why?
Because I started using Linux in 2010 and Ubuntu 10.10 was my first distribution. Back in the day it used Gnome 2, which MATE is a fork of.

Cool, you gotta try KDE tho

i3 motherfuckers!!!
Tiling window managers are seriously so much more efficient.

>Tiling window managers are seriously so much more efficient
yeah sure if you have autism

Xfce is best in terms of lightweight and usability
tiling wm folks might disagree, and i respect them, but right now i don't have time to learn that shit
Manjaro with preinstalled i3 worked like shit, mod key didn't even work.

I've been thinking of replacing i3 to xfce on my Gentoo.

I used to be a diehard Xfce fan but then I installed MATE and now I don't give a shit about Xfce anymore. The only problem with MATE is that you can't change the icon for brisk menu in the panel and most icon themes use the disgusting gnome foot

>2018
>still shilling shit that needs to use the rootkit formerly know as X.org

Xfce is good but my suicide tendencies have increased a lot since I started using it
Correlation is not causation but that's how it is
Btw I'm using Debian and I'm a virgin too

Actually, XFCE has a smaller footprint than LXDE. I think LXQt beats XFCE though.

>2018
>still believing the spooks of red hat

>le redhat maymay xDDDD
>le irrelevant jew anarchist maymay xDDD

Mate is bro tier
Xfce is the best DE MATE has the best applications (engrampa, atril, eye of mate)
Together they are patrician

>thinking the red hat spooks is a meme
>being a globalist
Bruh...

>le "if you disagree with the mainstream media narrative you don't have the right to speak" meme

Let me guess, you also believe that Wayland depends on systemd.

>Let me guess, you also believe that Wayland depends on systemd.
Nope Systemd is just an init system, some like it, some don't
Wayland is an objective piece of shit supported only with lies and astroturfing by the red hat spooks and shills
Fuck wayland

>Wayland is an objective piece of shit supported only with lies and astroturfing by the red hat spooks and shills
source: you arse.

this

no

get out more and get into some physical activity like lifting weights. get a gym membership and go regularly twice a week. girls will soon be miring and you'll no longer be a kissless virgin. eventually you'll realize cardio with girls kills your gains and tell them to go away but you'll no longer be a virgin or depressed. good luck.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-06-16_15-06-31.png (1920x1080, 1.32M)

not him but my depression actually got worse in the year i had a gym membership

Nope
Source: Wayland increases incompatibilities, makes tools that worked before not work anymore, adds bloat and instability and puts GNU/Linux behind every other graphics system, proprietary or not
Source: any developer that isn't a red hat spook on a gnome shill

How often did you go out? What about the social environment?

I use icewm on my cloudbook because it only has 2GB RAM.

I've been using XFCE on my main desktop since 2011. I like it, but to be honest I've been disappointed with recent versions of XFCE, I feel like the number of bugs and problems is increasing - especially in thunar.
I don't know if that's because of debian stable being stuck with a crap old version, of the quality of XFCE really is declining.

The memory use is increasing too. I know that's a trend with all software, but I'm still disappointed, especially because that used to be something that made XFCE stand out from the rest.

Really sad that in today's world, you need more than 2GB RAM just to be comfortable having a web browser with more than two tabs open. I remember having 10+ tabs open on my 1GB computer in 2006 and it was fine. Even with Gnome 2 running and other stuff happening.

i went 3-4 times a week with my friends and hated it desu

i did lose like 10kgs in a year though (which i regained :^))

>get out more
I go to university (dropout and back again) and I talk with many girls, many younger than me
I even dated some and hugged them
>and get into some physical activity like lifting weights. get a gym membership and go regularly twice a week.
I plan to but there is too much work in uni, I hardly have time and I'm afraid I'm having a heart attack
>girls will soon be miring and you'll no longer be a kissless virgin.
I hope so
>eventually you'll realize cardio with girls kills your gains and tell them to go away but you'll no longer be a virgin or depressed.
Oh
>good luck.
Thanks for your interest

>Wayland increases incompatibilities, makes tools that worked before not work anymore,
No shit, Sherlock. Its like the programs and toolkits need to learn to talk the protocol.
>adds bloat and instability
Like X.org that needs to implement fuck ton of 80's graphic shit like a printer server, only to be "X compliant" and be used like a fucking bitmap dumpster only?
>GNU/Linux behind every other graphics system, proprietary or not
That's why game developers love programing to Linux and UNIX.
Wait, they don't.
Besides macOS, and NeXTSTEP, UNICes always had shitty graphical stacks. Wayland attempts to solve that formalizing the use of X.org as a bitmap dumpster, removing the unused shit and clean the protocol of 80's cruft.
But, I doubt you're capable of understand that. For you I must be a Red Hat shill.
Bye. I will buy crap with my Red Hat paycheck.

>try to install one kde software once
>downloads 500mb
>my .config now looks like this
t...thanks

Attached: 2018-06-16_26:17.jpg (219x625, 145K)

>comparing nicely designed graphic stacks which are stable with many features with unstable featureless shit like wayland
I rest my case
X was never really good but Wayland made even X look good

Forgot to mention I'm not the person who originally suggested gym.

Outdoors stuff in general has a very high success rate. But it doesn't work for everyone. I suggest you read a book called "the upward spiral". It gives a lot of advice and understanding about depression and habits that can help break bad cycles. It helped me in college even though I don't have depression.

I bet you haven't do shit with X to begin.
X is broken as fuck. Wayland not.
I rest my case.

>thinking I defend X
>not admitting that Wayland is a failure compared to quartz, surface flinger, whatever windows 7+ has
>ignoring that Wayland has less features than the old X
I rest my case

I3 is better... (if you know how to use it)

I installed KDE my desktop, coming from XFCE, to try it out and mix things up.

It's a buggy peice of shit that won't stop either doing shit I don't want it to, lagging or just out right crashing. Fuck that shit.

>>not admitting that Wayland is a failure compared to quartz, surface flinger, whatever windows 7+ has
Why is a failure? Its adoption rate is increasing, despite the issues sometimes it has.
Surfaceflinger is tied to bullshit present on android, besides that, it hasn't access to KMS and, besides that, isn't ready for X.org compatiblity.
>>ignoring that Wayland has less features than the old X
Some posts ago you were crying about bloat. The features that the X.org drones like to brag are broken (network transparency) or accomplished easily with new tools (fonts, etc)

t. retarded xfeces lover

>Why is a failure?
It's close to a decade and still not ready
No cross de screen recording solutions (unlike X, Mac OS X, Windows)
No cross de remote de solution (unlike ...)
No screenshots
No window placement
No agreement on window decorations and fud by gnome shills
No benchmark where it's faster
Complexity and against software reuse and clean interfaces (which is even more important in GNU/Linux)
No ability to cobble together a solution with stuff like xdotool, devilspie etc (same reason as above)
Monolithic corporate shit
False security, on a desktop workstation being able to query other windows is a feature, a workstation is not a phone
Actually it's not even secure (there are other ways to attack) so it's a false sense of security
It's more featureless and less powerful than effing android
>about bloat
The base protocol lacks so many things that it's going to be a bloated incompatible mess
Single point of failure (red hat)
Despite the red hat bucks gnome on wayland is a piece of shit (even gnome devs accept it but they keep on pushing because of spook agenda)

It's terrible
I want ffmpeg screen recording
I want desktop agnostic copy paste and screenshots
I want feature parity with other graphic servers
I want interoperability with other Unixes
I don't want shit like pipewire
I don't want gnome bloat
I don't want red hat spooks