How do small desktop amplifiers compare to bigger home theater receivers...

How do small desktop amplifiers compare to bigger home theater receivers? obviously there are more connections on the bigger ones, but what about the quality of the sound? are there other benefits or drawbacks to either?

How do you power your speakers?

I just bought some KEF Q100's for my desk set up, and im trying to decide how to power them. Both the desktop and home theater receiver are about the same price, so im not sure which is a better choice. i have space for either, so thats not really an issue. I probably wont ever have more than a 2.1 setup, but id still have the option of expanding if i did get a home theater receiver.

The three im choosing from

amazon.com/gp/product/B071JN7GXN/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=ranbityouch05-20&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B071JN7GXN&linkId=3670388eec2642f770d99d69a2de9cff

accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrs530bt/denon-avr-s530bt-5.2-ch-x-70-watts-bluetooth-a/v-receiver/1.html#!specifications

accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/intdtr203/integra-dtr-20.3-5.2-ch-x-90-watts-thx-networking-a/v-receiver/1.html

Attached: 32.jpg (1243x520, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Lepy-Stereo-Amplifier-Subwoofer-Adjustment/dp/B00OGZW54E/
focal.com/en/focal-teach/how-choose-your-hifi-amplifier
slickdeals.net/f/11635683-samsung-soundbar-hw-km36-35-walmart-ymmv?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I can't really help you on that particular model (smsl) but I have bought a cheap lepy amp for my pc (with salvaged speakers)
amazon.com/Lepy-Stereo-Amplifier-Subwoofer-Adjustment/dp/B00OGZW54E/
The sound is ok but there is a lot of "wind" when you don't play anything.
I don't know Integra but if a Denon is 150 coins and a smsl 145, I don't really know how it can be a question.

when I clicked those links it said something about "hot deal" for the denon and the price is totally right. of those three I'd absolutely pick that one.

but I honestly can't give you much advice because I've never tried that desktop receiver or any other so I don't know how much the internals differ. It does look big enough to potentially be alright compared to
which really is trash. Well, perhaps not trash but those "mini amplifier" things like the Lepy don't stand up to bigger receivers and amplifiers and you hear it clearly with a good pair of speakers.

anyways, the denon's I've heard has always had good sound.

as for myself, I use a 5.1 surround setup with a onkyo tx-nr757 in the livingroom and a jbl go in the bathroom.

focal.com/en/focal-teach/how-choose-your-hifi-amplifier

I have pretty good audio systems (one marantz elements hifi, the other one denon elements) but I wanted some cheap "speaker system" to play mame on a second pc, i.e. not paying a lot.
The sound on the lepy 808 is good enough to play arcade games and listen to music, really.
I agree with you it's a shitty build though. Had to insulate everything to remove a persistent scratch and there is the white noise. But it's 12 bucks and it still outperforms for the 12 bucks.

If I were you, and don't need the am/fm aspect of a receiver or source switching, I'd just hit up ebay or a local pawn shop and cop an old Alesis RA100 and be done with it.

Attached: alesis-ra-100-193424.jpg (1600x1066, 137K)

is a bluetooth soundbar ok if I'm just a casual? I just want it to sound good but I don't care about audiophile stuff, but I don't want to settle for overpriced consumershit if there are better options at a similar price point

good recommendation

fine, for convenience, but there are better options otherwise

bump

>fine, for convenience, but there are better options otherwise
can you make any recommendations? and convenience aside, won't they cost more? e.g. I'd need an HDMI receiver etc

I've bought an SMSL M3 for my Sennheiser headphones.

I bought it to replace an old Kenwood stereo amp I bought at a garage sale.

Full disclosure the Kenwood had a little more bass and could go a bit louder but at that power range it distorted the headphones.

The SMSL M3 however has a much *much* clearer sound.

These differences would be obvious though as the Kenwood was entirely analogue and ran off 240VAC whereas the M3 is run off a USB cord.

SMSL are actually pretty decent quality for the price.... key word being "for the price".

Make of that what you will.

I love my M3. But if I suddenly come across a shitload of dollars to upgrade my audio I would.

The Dayton APA-150 is good clean (cheap) power. Only one input though. Based on the old Emitiva monoblocks, which cost 5x more.

sorry to hijack a thread, but how economical would an old alesis like this be, kW/h-wise? Would anyone know of something similarly simple and decent but with an added optical input?

bump

Most of those mini amps you see and a decent set of bookshelf speakers will ultimately provide slightly better sound for less money.

On the other hand, after a decade-long relatively amicable disagreement with my wife about the sound setup in our living room, I switched to a soundbar with atmos, and while it isn't as good as a traditional 5.1 or 7.1 setup, it's better than I thought it was going to be, and now we have a cleaner setup and don't have wires running anywhere.

In your view, what are the best options? Am I understanding you correctly that my choices are mainly 1) some kind of surround setup with bookshelf speakers and a small amp and 2) a decent soundbar? Or are you suggesting that a stereo bookshelf setup will be superior to the soundbar?

Really depends on your use.

First, is surround sound really important to you? If so, you do need a full 5.1 setup.

If surround would be nice to have but isn't critical, a sound bar would work fine.

And if you don't really care about surround sound, and/or are more concerned about audio quality than surround sound, it's much less expensive to just do a stereo (2.0 or 2.1) setup. You can get good monitors or bookshelf speakers for under $200 (significantly under if you're willing to buy used and haunt your local goodwill until some turn up).

>haunt your local goodwill
What should I be looking for at goodwill? All I ever see there are old, crusty, giant faux-wooden speakers of really dubious quality. Have you found anything good there?

Thoughts on this?
slickdeals.net/f/11635683-samsung-soundbar-hw-km36-35-walmart-ymmv?src=SiteSearchV2Algo1

Not sure if it would even be any better than my TV speakers at that price.

I mean a really big one is desktop amps will have far more I/O

yeah, but will the sound quality be better on the big one? or am i only getting the benefit of having more connections?

bmp

> sound important for you
> 5.1

GO HOME PEASANT
real men use stereo hifi

I ultimately recommended a stereo setup unless he felt he really needed surround.

stereo hifi vs 7.1?
and what's wrong with 5.1?
thanks br0

mind if I ask here what does Jow Forums think of these?
Pyle Mini Amp

pls note i'm not picky audiophile
just want:
headphones
ext at least 50W
Aux In

Attached: pyle-mini-amp.jpg (1000x515, 60K)

more space means your can space out components and have less static etc you might not notice it on headphones but the components used to silence the static ruin the sound quality

bump

well isnt 7.1 or 5.1 mostly for just movies while stereo or 2.1 mostly for listening to music?

its not like you lose quality with a 5.1 system vs a 2.1 system.

so youre saying the big receivers offer better quality sound?