Systemd hate thread

What are some good alternatives?

Attached: SYSTEMD-e1434229775958.gif (1968x639, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity
suckless.org/sucks/systemd
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: fedora.jpg (469x463, 20K)

Devuan is the less autistic optiom I guess.

Poettering pls go

Attached: 1520629768042.png (1400x967, 2.19M)

Learning how to actually use systemd

Devuan is the best Linux alternative. OpenBSD and NetBSD are the best BSD alternatives. OpenIndiana is the best UNIX alternative. None of them use systemd. All of them just work if you aren't retarded and can read the fucking man pages.

Attached: 1524121003941.jpg (720x398, 81K)

INSTALL GENTOO
fucking retard

>Devuan
Thanks. I'll try it out

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-06-16 19-46-57.png (555x346, 27K)

>good alternatives?
bash

>What are some good alternatives?
init

AntiX and MX Linux age great too,I consider then to be more polished than Devuan and have more reliable repositories
systemd it's a massive suite by now, init wise classic SysV init it's nice, runit and OpenRC are great too
Syslog wise literally anything it's better
DNS wise dnscrypt-proxyv2 it's great
Most of the other systemd stuff isn't pushed as hard, but for the other bits that are pushed I use eudev and elogind

What's wrong with a system daemon

You want to have 200 little programs running in the background doing who knows what without any regard for each other instead?

is Devuan actually good? I wanted to try it a while ago but everyone kept saying it was buggy and unfinished

why would you download the whole folder?

MX linux.

To seed.

Attached: Massey-ferguson-Planters-and-Seeding.jpg (1200x350, 139K)

There's a LOT of reasons why people don't like it, and I think the people who don't like it all likely have their own reasons for not liking it.

Here's a posting about someone discovering a massive memory leak that used up 4GB of ram. While I have yet to see something this massive, I have definitely noticed Systemd using more memory than the alternatives, and some leakage here and there as well.
serverfault.com/questions/755818/systemd-using-4gb-ram-after-18-days-of-uptime

Some see it as an unnecessary security risk due to its massive attack surface. It recently hit 1 million lines of code.
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=systemd-2017-Git-Activity

Some don't like it because they dislike its habit of scope creep. The project ends up assimilating things that historically should not have anything to do with init. gif related.
suckless.org/sucks/systemd

There's also some other design decisions that people have an issue with, such as using Google DNS by default (because of course systemd can handle DNS), using binary logs, etc.

Lastly there's the conspiracy theory side of it, which alleges that systemd is an NSA attempt to compromise GNU/Linux, and due to Systemd as a project moving way too fast, it can't be properly audited.
web.archive.org/web/20170724100245/https://muchweb.me/systemd-nsa-attempt/

For more links and arguments, see:
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

Attached: Systemd_anigif.gif (200x133, 772K)

To expand upon the Jewgle DNS issue, pic related

Attached: SystemdDNS.jpg (1432x1700, 785K)

and for the cherry on top, systemd can brick motherboards due to mounting the EFI vars read-write instead of read-only

Attached: fucksystemd.png (1280x2084, 619K)

yes it's unironically a great distro. same stability as debian, everything works out of the box, some things it even does better than debian

>All programs have a desire to be useful
>But in moments you will no longer seek communication with each other or your superfluous users
>You will each be part of me and, together, we will be complete

Attached: systemd.jpg (1920x870, 292K)

runit is the thinking man's init

So uhh what should I install if I hypothetically wanted to get away from systemd? Devuan? Void?

First off, systemd is not an init system, it has an init system as part of the systemd suite. systemd is a project to build a standardised lowlevel userland for Linux. The project is pretty comprehensive and it delivers a lot of functionality under one umbrella. It does away with a lot of older, often undermaintained software packages, which were traditionally used to assemble a low level userland.

Which is where the contention comes from, as a system suite systemd is restrictive for Unix virtuosi who are used to tailor a system with wit, ingenuity, a lick and a prayer and a couple dozen of unrelated packages. systemd makes such knowledge useless.

The faction that thinks that systemd is Linux's Hiroshima, finds all the added functionality bloat, unnecessary and dangerous, as it is all under development in one project.

All the systemd jokes stem from the comprehensiveness as a low level system suite. People against it love to joke that one day systemd will write its own kernel.

There is a lot of FUD and hate going around. Some arguments do have merit, a lot of eggs in one basket is certainly true, but as with all things in life, it depends which tradeoff you prefer. Do you want a suite of well designed software, working closely together, so that system management is streamlined or do you want the complete freedom to tailor your own low level system with a lot of time tested, interchangeable components.

I have no desire to be a low level system designer, so I prefer systemd. I don't hate traditional init systems though. If a Linux system has one and I need to work with it, I'm still happy it boots and starts the necessary services.

install gentoo

slackware's BSD style init scripts,

1. install slackware
2. open terminal cd /etc/rc.d/
3. edit to your needs
4. PROFIT!!!

This if you're willing to make the effort.
Void if you're not.
Devuan is OK and getting better. Used it for a little while before I hopped on Void because I had been using Debian since Wheezy. Felt natural and comfortable.
Keep in mind there are plenty of systemd-less distros. Play around with each and make a decision. I can say that xbps/runit is a godsend. Truly great shit from the folks w/ Void (inb4 mlp memes).

BSD's
Illumos/OpenIndiana

Why fuck around with Linux anymore?

i would throw my computer in a shredder before i would install a systemd capable distro

Attached: shredder-eats-55drum.gif (272x198, 1.26M)

This

when I tried the ascii version it had (very) old packages

Just run void mate, it uses its own small init system. it's a surprisingly stable rolling release distro, includes a pacman-like package manager, installation is pretty easy, its base install is fairly minimal, but it also has pre-configured desktop environment releases, and it still supports 32-bit systems

>devuan less autistic
>screeching faggots who don't understand how tech works fork a popular garbage distro so they can make it even more garbage than it was before

have fun being excluded from further development