Small phones

Everyone's copying Apple's iPhone. Everyone wants their own version of notches, bezelless screens, animoji, touchID, faceID, assID, pursuing gigabytes of RAM and megapixels in front facing cameras, full glass bodies, omitting the headphone jack even if there's no reason to...

What beats me is why nobody copies the iPhone SE, literally THE ONLY truly compact/small smartphone on the market that's not utter shit, for the past 4-5 years. I mean, it is an iPhone, but you get the point.

Obviously, there is a potential market for people who want 4 inchers, seeing as the SE is (very likely) getting a successor - if nobody wanted small phones, Apple would have just axed it. Sony has the right idea, but their Compacts are still too big to be small.

So why can't we have small phones? We who don't play smartphone games, we who don't watch YouTube, we who don't spend our waking hours typing meaningless chats to people we barely know personally, and we who just fucking want to use the phone one handed AND comfortably. Why the smartphone makers don't want our money?

Attached: ImgW.jpg (600x514, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz1_compact-8610.php
youtu.be/O99m7lebirE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

There may be a market but that doesn't mean it would be profitable. Since big phones became a thing 90% of the people you see have big phones.

The iPhone 8 is pretty small and works in one hand

Stop being such an armlet

Actually no. The iPhone copied features from other phones from the very beginning. As a matter of fact, the very concept of the iPhone was copied from the lg parada, a phone that was being developed before the iPhones launch and did just about everything an iPhone did.

Attached: downloadfile-2.jpg (474x474, 21K)

I'd like phones to just weigh less like the smaller phones. It may not seem like much but a few extra grams of weight when it's in your hand for hours on end can destroy your joints.

The problem with the LG Prada (you spelled that wrong btw) is that it was a dumb phone, while the iPhone was the first truly modern smartphone. The Prada was inferior to the iPhone in a number of crucial regards such as having a resistive touchscreen, having much less memory, not being able to display full webpages, being way less powerful, I could go on.

Also, the iPhone was announced on the 9th of January 2007, while the Prada was announced on the 12th of January 2007, so you got your facts wrong there.

I bought a 5s 16gb for $90, did good?

Sony does, they're it though.

iPhone too was a dumbphone at launch.
It had the best browser, but it was still a dumbphone.

Apps came later, after much complaining from the community (and as it turns out, Steve jobs and John Carmack having a big falling out over it)

Why not.
It's pretty much what I paid two years ago.
Still a great phone though, at least on iOS 8.
No idea how shit it runs with iOS11.

gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_xz1_compact-8610.php

Attached: đź‘Śđź‘Ś.png (926x409, 233K)

so why don't you just but the iphone SE. they still sell them new.

You're acting like a victim because you can't have the phone that you want, but you can. its also like the cheapest offering from apple, not sure what your deal is OP

I think he just wanted that form factor but with Android.
In any case, Android sucks and iPhone SE can be purchased refurbished for $160.

While iPhone copies chinks and water keeps being wet. In other news, OP is a faggot. Tune in at eleven, for even more goodness!

I agree OP
I've been walking around with big phones in my pocket for a while now.
Xperia Z2 &3; Pixel XL and currently the Pixel 2 XL meme phone.

Last week I bought pic related (Z5 compact) brand new for just 150 bucks.
I just could not handle the Pixel 2 XL at the gym.
So The pixel is still my daily driver but the 4.2 inch Xperia is perfect for the gym.
Music on my SD card and streaming from spotify. Battery life is great and the thing is small and relatively light.

I think small phones still have a place in my life.

Attached: Xperia-Z5-Compact.jpg (1000x568, 34K)

is Xperia XZ compact good ?

> What beats me is why nobody copies the iPhone SE, literally THE ONLY truly compact/small smartphone on the market that's not utter shit

Because it’s hard.

A 1080p iPhone SE with smaller bezels would be so fucking nice

Attached: lihava_tiikeri.png (394x301, 273K)

Please no 1080p. It's pointless on a phone this size, and it only brings about more battery drain.

but muh mobage looks so good at it

It's animal abuse to let a tiger get that fat

Fuck off

I agree, user. I love everything about my LG V20 except its size. It's fucking massive.

In fact, the only thing I miss about my old HTC M7 from like 4 years ago is how much more compact it was. It was an otherwise shitty phone but it was so much more pleasant to use on a day-to-day basis. It fit in my pocket without pressing against my leg when I sit down, and I could reach the entire screen with one hand without constantly adjusting the way I'm holding it. It was so much more comfy.

in awe at the size of this lad

T-I-G-E-R

Pajeets like to use them in lieu of a desktop, console, basically any other device.

Jow Forums here.
It's sad that there are no small smartphones anymore. A selfie with (sub) 4inch phone makes you way bigger, because the phone is small compared to you.
These fucking 5"5+ phones are bigger than our fucking hands

ohhh im learning finnish rn, liha is meat right? so lihava tiikeri is a meaty tiger? oh desu desu desu

XZ2 compact is the best most recent small phone you can buy at the moment

>android

Attached: 6f06ad08bfeae9bbef9cceadbb7ef80f.1000x1000x1.jpg (1000x1000, 106K)

>no headphone jack
>fat as fuck

ruined

>Vivo nex is 6.6 inches, Mi Max 3 will be 7 inches
Everything around 5.2 inches is great imo, I fell for the 6 inch meme phone and I don't feel too good about that. There are still good android phones around 5 in, like the Honor 9, galaxy S7 and the Xperias

I'm an Android user, and my work phone also runs on Android, so I'm used to that. I did customize the shit out of my current (old and beat up) phone so I'm not really sure if an iPhone is what I want. But since my phone is only holding together by sheer willpower, and nothing as small is available for grabs, I'm seriously considering biting the iOS bullet and actually getting the SE. I mean, the app selection is pretty much the same, right? The only problem might be connecting it to my Windows powered PC, I sure as hell don't want to install any Apple bloatware on it and I can't see any other way to stuff it up full of my music (fuck off with Spotify and such crap).

We share our feels, comrade. I still have my old HTC Touch 2, that one's fucking tiny compared to today's phones, but God does it fit into my hand perfectly. I'd pay dear money for an upgraded version of that, with recent hardware, recent Android (instead of WM), and a slightly bigger, capacitive display. And a flash LED on the back. Otherwise it's a perfect phone, I still love the dedicated Answer/Reject buttons. I don't need the front facing cam.

>Learning Finnish
Why tf

>Since big phones became a thing 90% of the people you see have big phones.
Maybe it's because there is no small phones on the market.

If Lenovo makes a Moto G SE with the design of the original G, smaller bezels and current specs I would be the first in line to get one.

>pursuing gigabytes of RAM

Apple's doing no such thing. Their top-end smartphone has 3GB of RAM.

There's a saying, how many languages you speak, that many times you're a (hu)man. It's a Czech saying, I'm not sure how exactly it translates into English but I think the point is clear. If you have the time and opportunity to learn a language, do it. If nothing else, it excercises your brains.

I like that sentiment but.. Finnish? Are you talking to a Finn girl right now?

Okay, whatever.

3 GB is enough, I guess. I mean, what the fuck does anyone need more than 4GB of RAM in a fucking phone for?

No, I'm not the guy you originally responded to. I only speak two languages myself but my grandpa spoke five and I respect him for that. And since driving is a pretty mindless job, I'm thinking of taking up Spanish, Italian or Russian.

>>>>> smaller bezels
Stop it.

I would really love it if somebody nigrigged a raspi zero into a smartphone body.

More tabs on firefox

>handlets

Attached: disgustedpicard003.jpg (400x256, 74K)

Nobody cares who copied who. People who argue over those things are pathetic. All that really matters is advancement of technology.

just bought an SE 2 weeks ago after 5 years on iphone 5. Never got why larger phones are more popular.

no. iphone SE 2 shouldn't fuck up the look and feel of the current SE. Only improvements should be inside the phone.

And that's why i bought a Z5c in the year 2018 soon to be 2019.
The XZ1c was an option too but it doesn't seem that much of an upgrade for me.

You know, and Apple knows, that people will critique the phone for being "boring", an "old design", and lambast Apple for losing its "special touch". And so there will be change just for the sake of change; messing with perfection just "because"

>overheating trash dot png

It's going to be much larger and the price will be up at least a hundred freedoms. Garunteed.

Android is so poorly optimized it needs to extra RAM just to do basic functions without massive amounts of lag.

>5"
>compact

Name a more capable smaller phone then

It doesn't exist. The last one was the XZ1c and small phones aren't a thing anymore, end of story.
Maybe if Apple releases an iPhone SE2 or something.

SE body is clearly one of the best body phones out there. No one has taken any of the design cues from it.

That’s what OP is saying. There’s dozens of ripoffs of the iPhone X’s notch, but no ine is willing to take the SE body and make it standard across small formfactor budget or non flagship phones, nor improve upon it.

No hard, perfectly flat edges. No camera recessed into body of phone. No volume rocker and volume/mute switch. None of these altogether in one package.

>SE2
rumor mill says it’s coming... i would jump ship so fast if it still has touchid and adds 3d touch, i wouldnt even care for wireless charging or IP68 ratings

I'm still using a SE. I've been searching for a replacement with the same form factor for a month now and there's nothing like it.

UMPCs are making a comeback thanks to indiegogo. I'm sure small phones could as well.

>a phone that was being developed before the iPhones
any proof?

I know lots of people explicitly choosing the iPhone SE because it's comfy to use with one hand. I would too if it wasn't an iPhone, as I'm too dependant on Android.

I agree 100% with OP.

How is 6/7 inches not a tablet? I had a legitimate tablet which was 7 inches.

>We who don't play smartphone games, we who don't watch YouTube, we who don't spend our waking hours typing meaningless chats to people we barely know personally, and we who just fucking want to use the phone one handed AND comfortably
Holy shit you just described my life

Reason there are no small Android phones is because there is no manufacturer that could create one with decent battery life.

The SE only has a 1624 mAh battery yet has a good battery life. This is only on iOS 9 and 10 though. iOS 11 and 12 give the SE a terrible battery life.

Back then 7inch tablets had xbox hueg bezels which made them super unwieldy.

I have a 6.44" phone and I can do all the usual shit on it with one hand thanks to the almost non-existent side bezels.

Not to mention one-handed modes which are criminally underused.

I don't really understand the appeal of a smaller phone. Most people have phones over 5 inches nowadays and they're happy with it.

I'm buying a 6 inch 18:9 phone. Is the size that big of an inconvenience?

Just ordered an S8 which is slightly less tall, thinner and has a smaller width than my current G flex 2, with the S8 having a bigger screen. Love my current size so excited to go even smaller and get a bigger screen.

How much of a fucking manlet do you have to be to have to use an iphone se or equivalent? I'm 5'6" and can use my note 8 comfortably in one hand. I'm small as is, how fucking small are you that you need a phone that's practically half the size?

I just got an SE after suffering with a HTC One M8 in my pocket for 4 years.

It's a fucking phone that I mainly make calls, text, and check e-mail with. I don't need a fucking tablet PC in my pocket fucking my pants up and making them all tight when I sit down. I took the case off of my Android phone for the last 2 years to make it smaller. Even with an Otter Box the SE is way smaller and more comfortable.

I'm 6'1.5" 180lbs. This is me

t. Fat manlet

My father is forced to use an iPhone se for work. Before that he had to use a Lumia 735.
Ever since his phone was replaced, he can't stop complaining about how he cannot type because his fingers are too big for such a small screen or how he can't see shit.
Now a lot of people might not have these issues with smaller phone, but a lot of people do have them

You must be shaped like a sphere if I'm a manlet

Cry more fatass, you hands must be used to sub 5” things.

KEK
E
K

gotta agree with on the fat part
sounds like you just dont wear pants that fit

If I can find skinny jeans that dont make my iphone 7 plus look obnoxious, I'm sure you can find something out there

>forced to use

Being forced to use something isn't what this thread is about. This thread is about options and how there is a lack of them.

Jealous fat manlets. Triggered by someone over 6 ft tall with a healthy BMI

>healthy bmi
>can’t fit into some jeans without his phone bending

I'm just saying that he is required, by his employer, to use the se.
Truly that wasn't the point of my post, and I would suggest you to read the second half of it

George Constanza having a seizure over here

Cry more fatty

>terrible battery life

Maybe 12 beta does. But I noticed no change from 10 to 11. Still go a couple days between charging.

I'm bigger than you and i prefer my lumia 520 over my galaxy S5 because i like being able to reach the entire screen comfortably while holding the phone in any orientation while completely secured in my palm.

I feel pity for people like you
>l-look guis, i can j-just hold it!!
>[thumb hyperextension]

Attached: 520.jpg (1200x763, 127K)

t.

Attached: DE24747D-62A9-4BB7-8150-753897C7721B.jpg (600x600, 26K)

Actually after posting this i realized there are people out there that think it's acceptable to need 2 hands to perform some actions on their phone.

Attached: 1Ga0ZlI.jpg (1079x1045, 43K)

t. Manlet

Even Apple knows a big screen its retarded

youtu.be/O99m7lebirE

I'm 100% with you OP, I really really liked the overall design of the SE and used one for several years, it's just such a damn shame it's locked into the apple ecosystem. I'd love an SE clone that ran stock android. Perfect screen size, perfect thickness. Give me an SE running stock android with a removable battery and I'll have my perfect phone.

The Z5 compact is only like 4cm taller and supports LineageOS so it's a pretty stock android experience.

Thanks user, I'll look into it. I was considering just compromising on screen size and getting a Huawei P20 because it seemed good value for money, and I can honestly cope with a notch if I can hide it with a black bar, then I realised it had no fucking audio jack. Sick of getting dongled and screened at every turn. It's honestly getting to the point where I want to learn electrical engineering just so I can make a phone and laptop I don't fucking hate.

Attached: screen-shot-2014-09-12-at-12-47-00-pm.png (1080x429, 110K)

I bought my SE when iOS 10 was the latest release, and since I've had iOS 11, I haven't noticed any perceptible difference. Still get 2 days to a charge. But I don't necessarily agree that small Android phones would necessarily have shit battery life, Sony manages to do fin with the Xperia X compact. BUT, that being said, you wouldn't want to try cramming power-hungry 800 series SoCs in such a small frame.

The Lumia 520 was a pretty dope budget phone. Shame about the app situation.

Man, iOS 6 was maximum comfy tier

I also prefer small phones. That's why I'm still using pic related. I have it for over 4 years and I don't think I'm getting any new phone soon. It runs LineageOS 14.1 and everything works perfectly.

Attached: samsung-galaxy-s4-mini.jpg (800x600, 46K)

I'd also get an A3 or whatever it's called if it weren't for their obsession with the terrible bottom layout of "sensor-physical-sensor" button. Give me three physical buttons, or just make it software based navbar. I just hate sensor buttons. Especially when Shitsung tends to put the Back to the right.

What exactly bothers you in this layout? It seems fine for me.

Maybe I'm an autist, who knows. I just hate sensory buttons, and the inconsistency between the bottom trio is even worse. My finger either expects no resistance and a haptic feedback (sensor), or little resistance and a satisfying click (physical). The uncertainity of which one is going to happen is irritating to me..

iPhone XE when? Hell all it really needs for good ppi is the weird meme resolution that the iPhone 6-8 have.

Attached: se2.jpg (780x520, 12K)