Whats your opinion on Electron?

Whats your opinion on Electron?

Attached: 3643346634.jpg (1788x770, 157K)

Other urls found in this thread:

destroyallsoftware.com/talks/the-birth-and-death-of-javascript
josephg.com/blog/electron-is-flash-for-the-desktop/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I only ever used Atom. It works well enough, no problems at all.

google must have given github a LOT of money to develop it. goes without saying it's the final boss of botnets

My doctor tells me that if my Atoms are Electron deficit then something is very wrong and I could die.

I'm wondering why node doesn't use electron, since they're apparently too retarded to correctly integrate v8, and they'd rather try to "upgrade" to whatever the fuck the edge js engine is called

Using the web as universal ui and vm is actually a good idea.
Running a new browser for each application isnt.

Use webview instead.

This. I mean, that's what phone apps do, they just wrap webviews.

And all major OS have their at least one browser engine they could use to avoid overhead:

In Windows, you get Chakra.
In mac and linux, you get WebKit.

It's where electron is heading post-MS money.

Give some framework or code example as simple to use as electron and node

user, electron itself uses node.

That way you also get the benefits of acknowledging that a browser is an essential part of a modern operating system.
And we might have finally built an universal plateform that runs on open standards for gui and bytecode. Javascript realizing the Java dream would be supreme irony.

If all goes well the joke talk by DAS on the future of JS will fully realize and we can even ditch context switches and optimize CPUs to run wasm eventually.

>If all goes well the joke talk by DAS on the future of JS will fully realize and we can even ditch context switches and optimize CPUs to run wasm eventually.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.

this is the result of fucking lazy debs that are unable to draw actual pixel directly to your screen because they don't know how to code using an actual language, so we end up with trash languages above more trash that makes systems slower and slower without any actual improvement.
The ultimate method to draw pixels is to communicate directly to the X server

destroyallsoftware.com/talks/the-birth-and-death-of-javascript

At this point i'm just waiting for the nuclear exchange.

>the x server
plebeian, what's /dev/fb0 for

Apparently operating systems suck that you need to make a new one on top of them just to make desktop "apps". Admittedly it's easier to use webdev tools than C++ and Qt.

Necessary evil at this stage of software engineering.

Desktop applications turned into web applications running inside the browser because of shortcomings of desktop development tools, and now the browser will slowly merge back into the operating system, making online-first native desktop applications possible.
We're only in the first few years of this happening so everything is kind of amateurish and shitty, but 10 years from now this will make sense, and we'll get
- a natural way to navigate from one application to the other, and for them to interact with one another, with no cumbersome context switch
- instantaneous application delivery and update with proper sandboxing and without the hassles of hunting down installers, check-for-update daemons etc.
- a powerful, standardized true cross-platform development platform

Now javascript and the DOM are unfortunate candidates for all this but that's really down to windows refusing to innovate in any way for the last 20 years that it has come to this. Most likely by then wasm will have become the only target and the DOM will continue to support everything required to be a generic content delivery model so it should be fine, just heavy on technical debt.

Yesterday I was looking for a terminal for windows. I found out this one called hyper, looked cool so I installed it.

I found out it consumes fucking 120mb of ram right after launch. The default CMD of windows consumes 3mb.

>The default CMD of windows consumes 3mb.
It's also absolutely terrible. Man if I was on windows I'd happily dedicate 120mb of ram to another terminal emulator that isn't cmd, you don't get complain here.

Also get cmder, it's pretty cool.

you got me

It's the only non-painful way to develop cross-platform applications
That said, it's bloated shit.

I want Microsoft to embrace, extend, and extinguish JavaScript, not to embrace it now and forevermore.

I'm afraid it's too late, MS went with both open sauce and JS.

You will be assimilated.

js is fine if you use typescript

>adding another layer of garbage

suit yourself neet

I love Electron because my gaymen drivers uses that and allows me to make some LEDs flash... USING LISP1111111111

Attached: top notch lisp job.png (905x566, 121K)

as much as I want to like Atom, it is quite slow compared to something like Sublime or other text editors

josephg.com/blog/electron-is-flash-for-the-desktop/

Use QML instead.

The only reason this is happening is because vendors could not agree on any other standardized way to deliver network-based applications. Obviously bolting this onto what is essentially a document presentation system is complete overkill. But all the other options were worse and extremely proprietary.

npm install electron

That's the "embrace" part.
I'm waiting for the "extend" and "extinguish" part

Remember to vote, faggots

Attached: Capture.jpg (1028x561, 64K)

Ramlets btfo.

Attached: 1515264883205.jpg (558x600, 88K)

Should be banned. Federally.
Not everything needs to be a goddamn fucking web browser.

Attached: %3Ewhen-someone-think-they-have-an-argument-but-its-not-2777133.png (500x534, 54K)

bloated garbage.

It's a fucking abortion. Stop trying to make JS work on the desktop.

>running javascript on the desktop
kys

I like Atom. Its plugins are way less cancerous to find/install than Notepad++, and it's much more customizable which I'm sure appeals to the droves of gentoo/arch fags on this board

I don't notice memory issues with it, though I'm sure it's eating RAM like nobody's business.

Dahl started working on Deno (Node 2) about two weeks ago.

The default language is typescript.

>Using the web as universal ui and vm is actually a good idea.

It's about as smart as using a can of tuna as a hockey puck or a frypan as a hammer user

>Be year 2031
>The promise of the universal computing platform is finally here
>Thanks to HTML7, CSS8 and JavaScript 20290218-1-alpha-005
>The developers at Amagook Inc. the largest tech company (3 trillion market cap) are releasing a new tool, the Vibe platform
>It allows to simply drag and drop components and link some JavaScript code to make GUI applications that can run on virtually any computer
>It even allows to create and integrate reusable components that can be published independently
>The best thing is that it only requires 512 cores and 3 TB of RAM
>Pic unrelated

Attached: vb6.jpg (1280x720, 102K)

It's fucking cancer and this whole electron fuckery baffles me because JavaFX is better in every way but people were too stupid for Java.. I mean I can understand if people think Qt us too difficult.. But cmon..

It's slow as fuck

Java is too much boilerplate and the true reason JS will continue to dominate the space is because the community is inclusive not a bunch of dweebs wishing they could learn secret tricks to get rich.

That the whole point. Modern UI frameworks already blow away pajeet's winforms that were never good in the first place. Prestige-Languages are no longer faster nor more efficient.

>>The best thing is that it only requires 512 cores and 3 TB of RAM
I would just run netbsd and old command line applications on this hardware if it was cheap

>Java
>secret tricks
Holy fuck people are getting more stupid every year. Java is a retard proof language, you can even use Kotlin or JS if you feel Java us too difficult.

What is the whole point?
The web "platform" is literally ten or fifteen years behind the desktop, while consuming ten times the resources.
The only argument that it is "standardized" is becoming a moot point, because it is so complex that only Google, Microsoft, Apple and Mozilla can implement and thus control those standards.

Everything is becoming over-complicated, because it's a classic way to concentrate an industry (other industries do it through regulation, preventing small competitors from being able to catch up).

It's a major regression.

This is nonsense.
Javascript is the ultimate cool kids club because the technology keeps changing and you have to follow trends.

You can pick for $1 a C book published in 1990 and learn the same language used by C programmers in 2018. That's not exactly secret tricks.

Theres no use cases anymore for using 5MB when 50BM can do the job

You have to keep learning which is the real difference between JS and just doing things the way we did in the 90s forever.

Write me a cross platform application in C I need it in 1 hour it needs to be a Slack clone so its extra easy for you. You tell me what platforms you think you can target so its easier.

C is the most portable language

Unrelated, but is this worth using on linux? MATE terminal got me fucked up mane, I can't even borderless it and zsh themes don't work

By "Slack" clone do you mean IRC?
It runs fucking everywhere. On DOS, on BeOS, on Amiga, on whatever you can think of.

What we have right now is the opposite of what you think is happening. Things are way less cross-platform than they used to be, because now it's only a Linux, Windows, Apple world.

Stop chasing the latest fucking fad editor/terminal/theme/window manager.

Just pick something that works and do some actual stuff with your computer.

I don't think it's fundamentally flawed, but it's currently implemented in a fucking shitty way. If multiple applications could share the same chrome instance, I think it could be pretty decent. If someone made a performant HTML/CSS/webasm based backend, I think it would be a good thing overall mostly due to the ubiquity of HTML/CSS/JS and the fact that everything nowadays at least compiles to it.

computers are useless

That is a fair point. But MATE window manager doesn't even work enough to be productive with it. But I suppose I can just drag shit like the last 20 years of my life

Holy fuck it works! I was pressing some retarded hotkey. MATE new friend. Now to make an electron app and form my own opinion on it

like user said
>windows refusing to innovate in any way for the last 20 years

I mean, it's reputation is pretty negative... haha

>shitting on Kotlin
This is where you went wrong kiddo

this

That's what's wrong. All those retards ricing their Linux window managers forgot that computers can be used to write novels, create pictures, compose music and so on.

Bloated shit created by Millenials with ADD.

Attached: 1194e6d95fe3b2f7582c9171cddfe659cc64b62e.jpg (960x960, 84K)

bigint support fucking when

He's not wrong, though.

Hyper is a pathetic program. It shouldn't exists.

how come electron has apis for things that node doesn't? things that have nothing to do with dom?

Garbage.

It's a sign that the endtimes are near.