youtube.com/watch?v=YDa5MQyivQE
blog.leapmotion.com/north-star-open-source/
youtube.com/watch?v=VD1WMzMlBQo
youtube.com/watch?v=JKe5T5M535U
youtube.com/watch?v=_FjuPn7MXMs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

tiling window managers? you betcha

huh?

Linux is still struggling to not look like ass in 2d let alone AR/VR.

wuh?

buh?

Theoretically yes.

Doesn't need to

Attached: 1529169943274.jpg (1000x610, 222K)

>can Linux do X retarded thing that only numales would want
No, and I hope it stays that way.
>inb4 fox and grapes
I legitimately do not want VR garbage. Fuck off.

Attached: 109b7fd73cd55fa2215cd822555976f4-dbd1cel.jpg (1000x667, 318K)

A kernel doesn't need a VR interface

>VR
Literally fox and grapes.

If you do not understand the potential of AR glasses, you can fuck right the fuck off. You need some genuine autism to not get it.

lol

Attached: doneright.gif (580x460, 3.2M)

This summer sure is nice.

Attached: Something_Happened.png (2621x1779, 1.53M)

fpbp

>If you do not understand the potential of AR glasses
Such as ?
I only see
ads potentially everywhere
yet another spying device
It's useful for mass surveillance as only gafam will produce such things anyways so they have access to your nudes and personal data already.
It can be used in factory but automation is on its way there and such glasses will be useless real fast.
It's utterly useless for the average joe and everyone here is one including you and me.
AR is and will always be a niche product exactly like smartwatches and VR (mostly for pros and disabled people)

trips of truth

>Literally fox and grapes.
I don't think you understand what that story actually means.

You won't need to buy screens anymore.
You will have your screens on you, in any position, at any place, in any size and at any time. They can follow you or be pinned to your walls or whatever.
It allows you to remember an infinite amount of faces and write up profiles on people that you can check when you see them. Don't even need a botnet for that, just do it locally.
You can add arbitrary layers to reality - for example, transform a forest into into a battle where you fight endless hordes of monsters with your buddies, or to have icons over people's heads that show whether you're matched on Tinder or whatever.
You can use it at the shooting range to give you real-time statistics. While driving to replace your dashboard. Measure a distance in your line of sight, like the height of a building.
This shit allows for all kinds of arbitrary reality extensions.

Interlinked AR will allow for all kinds of quirky shit. But even solo AR is useful for replacing screens for most use-cases at home.

It will also be abused to turn us into cattle, but I prefer to ignore that angle. I can already see that criminals will be blinded by the police, the NSA will feed you false visuals to control you and that muggers might pull a Planetside 2 and use visual distortion and matching clothing colors to stab you while you can't even recognize their silhouette as a moving thing.

I think purposefully using the wrong term to discredit something their OS doesn't support counts.

ar is literally gimped vr

VR is a toy, AR is an extension of life.

DAMN WHAT AN ARGUMENT
WINKEKS BTFO AM I RIGHT FELLOW FEDORABEARDS

>I legitimately do not want VR garbage. Fuck off.
It is the future user.

>You will have your screens on you, in any position, at any place, in any size and at any time. They can follow you or be pinned to your walls or whatever.
>It allows you to remember an infinite amount of faces and write up profiles on people that you can check when you see them.
Free cameras, everywhere, all the time.
>Don't even need a botnet for that, just do it locally.
Won't happen, gafam live on your data.
>You can add arbitrary layers to reality - for example, transform a forest into into a battle where you fight endless hordes of monsters with your buddies, or to have icons over people's heads that show whether you're matched on Tinder or whatever.
>You can use it at the shooting range to give you real-time statistics. While driving to replace your dashboard. Measure a distance in your line of sight, like the height of a building.
>This shit allows for all kinds of arbitrary reality extensions.
Forget your SAO ordinal scale BS, it won't happen.
>It will also be abused to turn us into cattle, but I prefer to ignore that angle
This is the way we're going.
> can already see that criminals will be blinded by the police, the NSA will feed you false visuals to control you and that muggers
If the nsa can do it, we can too. It will be a nightmare world to live in, you won't be able to trust the data you see as there is no proof it's not altered.
Backdoors NEVER work as expected, no exception.

You're projecting way too much with AR "possibilities".

It could if Microsoft implemented HoloLens support for Linux.

Who knows micro$haft (((loves))) open source now...
It might happen any day
;^)

hitl.washington.edu/artoolkit/

yeppp. It exists.

>Can Linux do this?
Linux is a kernel, it doesn't do anything on its own.

All of that sounds useless and borderline nightmarish.

>Free cameras, everywhere, all the time.
That's an unrelated issue to the functionality and not even a real problem with the "have arbitrary screens in your field of view" functionality.

>Won't happen, gafam live on your data.
And yet I can run my own services on my home server with just a bit of setup.

>Forget your SAO ordinal scale BS, it won't happen.
youtube.com/watch?v=1Zvi2MyXIOk
youtube.com/watch?v=RjJ44klc8zk
youtube.com/watch?v=YDa5MQyivQE
You were saying?

Also, cars already have HUDs. If AR takes off, I'm sure they'll have AR integration as part of their selling point.

>If the nsa can do it, we can too. It will be a nightmare world to live in, you won't be able to trust the data you see as there is no proof it's not altered.
>Backdoors NEVER work as expected, no exception.
Yes, but the tech is awesome. We are already fucked anyway.

>You're projecting way too much with AR "possibilities".
Nigger, I've been following the tech for years. The biggest hurdle is making it smaller and longer lived, as well as having interoperating standards for the devices that will crop up.
Most of my points are already implemented to a degree.

They'll make the support so strict it only includes Azure Sphere, watch.

RIP Geordi LaForge

...so this is the power of mental illness...

i hope all you vr fags get rounded up and gassed one of these days

I really wouldn't be surprised if they killed the product like this.

The question is whether there'll be any competition and whether it will be as shitty as the Android/iOS scenario where both choices are utter dogshit.

Did someone shit into your cornflakes?

did someone shit into your skull cavity?

re-read your post again and seriously ponder on whether any of those "innovations" you suggested are an improvement over what we have today

>re-read your post again and seriously ponder on whether any of those "innovations" you suggested are an improvement over what we have today
Freeform screens undeniably are. As is the ability to create real life AR playgrounds.

Face stuff is rightfully illegal, but it would be handy if it was done with a pure offline implementation.

Being able to check the time or read instant messages without fumbling for your phone is also very useful.

Having car dashboard integration isn't much different from currently available HUDs. Except for the bluetooth weak link, I guess, but then that isn't much different from cars that can be unlocked via your phone.

Handy visual measurements are handy.

I don't see how any of this is bad, at least at face value. Yes, underneath there's potential for abuse, but that's not a demerit of the technology but rather specific implementations of it.
Similar to how PCs would be pretty shit if they were locked down app-machines with no way to self-host services or write your own software.

eeeh?

Attached: 1443310654988.jpg (424x645, 32K)

>That's an unrelated issue to the functionality and not even a real problem with the "have arbitrary screens in your field of view" functionality.
You need cameras to recognize things in real-time, you know the cameras which will be forbiden literally everywhere because it's a serious issue when security or privacy are at stack.
>And yet I can run my own services on my home server with just a bit of setup.
You won't like you don't have a mycroft assistant and you use google services on a daily basis.
>You were saying?
Still no regulations because it's too marginal for now, expect heavy regulation in the coming decades.
The street is NOT your playground.
>Yes, but the tech is awesome.
Looks meh to me for normie tier use cases
>We are already fucked anyway.
It's sad given how easy it is to stop them...
We're always one scrutin away from our liberty but somehow we're always too scared to make to right choice, weird shit.
>Nigger, I've been following the tech for years.
Does not mean you should close your eyes on the road most modern societies are taken.

>Freeform screens ... real life AR playgrounds
They look cool in movies, but how does that translate to real life? Why would someone want this, other than as a passing gimmick that they'll stop using in a week? I don't consider that "useful".

>check the time or read instant messages without fumbling for your phone
Sounds like yet another high-tech way of polluting your mind, along with flashy ads and engineered supermarket music.
For me personally, I get a shitton of messages from work and church groups. I don't want to see any of it until I open my phone by myself. For myself and probably many others, seeing messages pop up and interrupt my train of thought would be extremely annoying and counterproductive

>car dashboard integration
Maybe car enthusiasts would like this, but i'll stick with a plain old economy class dashboard, thanks

>visual measurements
Maybe if i worked in construction, but I can't see how that would benefit me daily. I can eyeball distances on the road well enough, and that's all i care about

>potential for abuse
A potential for abuse will most certainly turn into abuse later on. That's what has happened all throughout history. Unrestricted PC's are an outlier, since the entire idea of owning a personal computer became feasible hardly 20 years ago. PCs will go the way of the smartphone in due time.

How do you even survive in the real world when such a small amount of bantz sends you into an autistic rage?

>only numales
heh...

Attached: dumb_woman_and_her_father.jpg (2184x1365, 159K)

Attached: 1522128200520.png (500x390, 44K)

VR right now is largely being used for garbage videogames and as a dogbone to brag about how thicc your graphics cards is.

It actually has huge potential to change how everything works in society. Most of the good VR stuff is happening on high end smart phones, which is a bit of a shame, but it's a good proving ground considering people are willing to spend a lot on a phone these days.

>having a unstable old white man pointing a gun at your face
>not doing what he told you to do

nigger deserve it for being dumb

>drawns in 2D
>woman suddenly can see the drawing in 3D
has science gone too far

Attached: the_fox_and_the_grapes.jpg (619x1290, 162K)

Why did VR flop guys, I shouldn't have listened to Jow Forums for investment advice

he got trips, doesn't need arguments.

azure sphere isn't a desktop os soooooo

>need molecular visualization at 50 000x zoom? too bad, can't do that in AR, needs to be extension of reality

You can do AR with VR, but you can't do VR with AR. Augmented reality is inferior technology. It's so bad that they're trying to rebrand it every other week.

you don't need it anyway hahaha
install loonix ganoo you don't need computer hahaha

Attached: 1476996758851.jpg (920x900, 453K)

no, why would I put Microsoft cameras and sensors in my home
I'll be a true Jow Forumsentooman and make my own, leap motion already released open sources plans for their project North Star, things can go from there with a window manager if people are interested enough
blog.leapmotion.com/north-star-open-source/
already blows the poo-lenses out of the water

ever heard of wine?

wait, so he's telling her to shove the pipe section in without any oring or seal? luckily there's video evidence, so they can get fucked by the insurance company when the inevitable accident happens

The only cool AR is Dennou Coil, and we'll never reach that level of sophistication in our lifetime.
youtube.com/watch?v=VD1WMzMlBQo
youtube.com/watch?v=JKe5T5M535U

Attached: 1445868645283.jpg (535x577, 75K)

Why would you need an AR video call for this? Googling or a five minute Youtube video would have been quicker and less cumbersome.

Whoops, sorry, wrong photo

Attached: microlol.png (800x650, 215K)

Maybe, I recalled this was a thing:

youtube.com/watch?v=_FjuPn7MXMs

I could see something like it laid onto the real world instead of a 3d maze, Though no idea if there's any free software being developed that could map the world in real time to feed it into that for example.

Attached: augmented babushka.jpg (1024x682, 124K)

kek, desktop threads are all loonix users. Talk about being hypocrite

where do the kids get meta from and what is it

Meta was like game tokens. You could buy it with cash or go exploring and collect it around the real world.

neat

>What are speccy threads

judge,jury, executioner all in one badge

Why would it need to?

Attached: newspaper.png (1000x384, 434K)

AR is trash until they fix this.

Attached: t.jpg (1882x1060, 620K)

I hope not. Why would I want to wear that so I can use a computer. It’s retarded.

I always wanted to see everyone as a nude hot blonde.

AR will take off when you start marketing it to women. The thing they'll buy is being able to have AR clothing. Then they can be fashionable with zero effort and switch clothing all the time. They'll eat that shit up.

HOW WILL THEY EVER RECOVER

>Try to explain while drawing
>She keeps turning her head and nodding towards some blank part of the wall to the left of the sink

why would it want to

This. VR is nothing compared to what AR is capable of. VR is limited to games and in some case of simulation, probably there can be extensive use in future millitary. But AR is consumer oriented. Google X made one contact lens that can indicate glucose levels real time directly in your vision. Transparent displays are already a thing. Imagine the potential of HUD which can interact with your voice or hand gestures. It would bring about a revolution in consumer market as well as HID in general which has its good and bad sides I guess.
Chances are your gramps also said the same shit about personal computers.

>doesn't know the difference between AR and VR
I guess you wouldn't care when the most productive thing you've done was make a poptart without burning it.

Real life screen share would be pretty useful though. Maybe even remote control so I could walk people off buildings.

learn to take a joke fag

Most of them don't even show the desktop, that's a loonix thing.

Are you the plumberfag that's always shitposting about how much money plumbers make and telling everyone to go to trade school and becoming plumbers?

based insurance detective with a background in professional plumbing

sorry, that was a strange thing to ask

Why wouldn't you just use an AR CLI?

They already are starting too, but stores are the pain point here they're less likely to want to internalize the costs involved - fuck they barely want to pay a competent web developer.

Linux doesn't even have a proper file fucking picker